• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street was Betting That Microsoft-Activision Deal Will Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

I love how this is supposed to make MS a monopoly and yet we don't even know what percentage of the market Activision currently holds.

Edit: Ok, here we go:

So much for a monopoly.

Didn't you get the memo? 10.7% is a monopoly because having Call of Duty on Gamepass is just unfair!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Didn't you get the memo? 10.7% is a monopoly because having Call of Duty on Gamepass is just unfair!

Animated GIF

darrylgorn

Lol

You know, I'm not against regulating the market but this isn't anywhere near threatening a monopoly.

And correct my foggy memory but didn't Apple hold something crazy like two-thirds of phone sales at one point?

supernova8

Banned
I don't see how. 🤷‍♂️

"Xbox has no games" --------------> "We need the government to stop this behemoth from taking all games."

Just hilarious to me. I'll never fully get it.

I think the implication is that people want Microsoft to organically have its own games by building studios from the ground up (or at least acquiring small ones and nurturing them) rather than just buying gigantic established publishers (which is what they did with Bethesda and what this deal would amount to).

Last edited:

Goalus

I think the implication is that people want Microsoft to organically have its own games by building studios from the ground up (or at least acquiring small ones and nurturing them) rather than just buying gigantic established publishers (which is what they did with Bethesda and what this deal would amount to).
We all know what "people" you are talking about.
In nineties terms, Psygnosis was "gigantic" too.
All I can see here is the double standards these people are widely known for. They remind me of certain snowflakes that I can't detail any further here because it would go against the forum rules.

Sony built their entire console base off third party exclusives. Their first party took 3-4 generations to get where it is now.

It's not really feasible to do that these days when 1 game takes 5-6 years to make. Teams will take 30 years to get even a fraction of the project completion experience they got in the past. MS is adapting to the new normal, and everyone else is following suit because they made a correct decision on acquisitions.

drganon

All I can see here is the double standards these people are widely known for. They remind me of certain snowflakes that I can't detail any further here because it would go against the forum rules.
Equating buying pysgnosis to buying both Activision and Bethesda is beyond fucking stupid.

supernova8

Banned
Equating buying pysgnosis to buying both Activision and Bethesda is beyond fucking stupid.
Yeah I was trying to come up with the right wording but this is fine. Psygnosis basically just had Lemmings when Sony acquired them in 1992. Plus a 20 million pound price tag for them in 1992 is not even remotely close to what they paid for Bethesda or what they're about to pay for ActiBlizz. The likes of Wipeout (they didn't really make much else of note, let's be honest) didn't come until three years after Sony acquired them.

A better comparison would be if Sony acquired the entirety of EA or maybe Sierra back in 1992, which they didn't.

Fredrik

Yeah I was trying to come up with the right wording but this is fine. Psygnosis basically just had Lemmings when Sony acquired them in 1992. Plus a 20 million pound price tag for them in 1992 is not even remotely close to what they paid for Bethesda or what they're about to pay for ActiBlizz. The likes of Wipeout (they didn't really make much else of note, let's be honest) didn't come until three years after Sony acquired them.

A better comparison would be if Sony acquired the entirety of EA or maybe Sierra back in 1992, which they didn't.
Lemmings was one out of 20-ish games Psygnosis published the year 1993 when Sony bought them. They were a serious power house from mid 80s to mid 90s for anyone who played on Amiga 500 and Atari ST.

supernova8

Banned
Sony built their entire console base off third party exclusives. Their first party took 3-4 generations to get where it is now.

It's not really feasible to do that these days when 1 game takes 5-6 years to make. Teams will take 30 years to get even a fraction of the project completion experience they got in the past. MS is adapting to the new normal, and everyone else is following suit because they made a correct decision on acquisitions.
Microsoft (or rather Xbox/Microsoft Game Studios) has been "in the game" since 2000 (when it was formed). That's 22 years. They have had plenty of time to do what Sony has achieved. Plus Microsoft already had exposure to video games for years by way of having Windows (and all the games on PC), long before Sony launched the Playstation.

If you look at the history of it, Sony's acquisitions almost all started with it being approached or approaching developers to publish a game. Relationship went well and they agree to be acquired by Sony. Small companies (not even listed). Microsoft did do some of that very early on but seems to have stopped since.

It's not so much "adapting", rather Microsoft tacitly admitting it failed to do what Sony and Nintendo did and therefore is going to throw money at the problem instead. Not only that, but neither Bethesda nor ActiBliz had any sort of special relationship with Microsoft at the time of acquisition talks starting. It's literally a case of "I don't know you, you don't know me but here's a big truck of cash - shut up and take it".

ManaByte

Lemmings was one out of 20-ish games Psygnosis published the year 1993 when Sony bought them. They were a serious power house from mid 80s to mid 90s for anyone who played on Amiga 500 and Atari ST.
They were the biggest European developer/publisher at the time.

I agree. I think they should absorb Unisoft, EA, Take-Two, Square and Capcom as well, seeing as we would be better off with a big game every month. 🤡

Ozriel

M$FT

These same folks know that it takes years to build up a studio and get it off the ground, so they basically didn't want MS to compete this gen.

For example, MS is essentially building a second studio within playground games to make Fable. At press time, it's been subject to multiple negative threads. Ditto for The Initiative.

Microsoft needed content for Gamepass. Starting from scratch was never really an option.

adamsapple

"Acquisitions for me, but not for thee".

JackMcGunns

People, or Sony? Nintendo is probably the only gaming company doing things organically. If Sony had the money, their purchases would be bigger than Bungie, Insomniac, Housemarque, Bluepoint, etc.

You missed the points about it being multiplatform and about them parting ways? You really are trying to convince anybody that buying Psygnosis, which kept releasing titles almost everywhere, is akin to possessing the plethora of Zenimax and Activision titles? Did you actually take the time to read what is contained in that very link?
How about people grow some balls and just be honest regarding their feelings: We love the Xbox and get aroused whenever there is talk of a possible multiplatform publisher acquisition! At least it's more entertaining and less hypocritical...🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
People, or Sony? Nintendo is probably the only gaming company doing things organically. If Sony had the money, their purchases would be bigger than Bungie, Insomniac, Housemarque, Bluepoint, etc.

I don't think so. Japanese companies are rarely, rarely bullish when it comes to "massive" buyouts, unlike american ones. I do not believe for a moment that Sony or Nintendo would have considered acquiring a publisher, even a medium sized one before MS went for Zenimax...

ManaByte

You missed the points about it being multiplatform and about them parting ways? You really are trying to convince anybody that buying Psygnosis, which kept releasing titles almost everywhere, is akin to possessing the plethora of Zenimax and Activision titles? Did you actually take the time to read what is contained in that very link?
How about people grow some balls and just be honest regarding their feelings: We love the Xbox and get aroused whenever there is talk of a possible multiplatform publisher! At least it's more entertaining and less hypocritical...🤷‍♂️
In the late 80s and early 90s Psygnosis was the biggest European developer. Anyone who was actually around at that time would remember that, especially their output on the Amiga and Atari ST, not to mention the console ports of their games.

In the late 80s and early 90s Psygnosis was the biggest European developer. Anyone who was actually around at that time would remember that, especially their output on the Amiga and Atari ST, not to mention the console ports of their games.

You failed to tackle my questions. I was a gamer back then, so feel free to engage based on my interrogations. Let us dissect how both acquisitions are comparable. Start by reading the text you were kind enough to link to...

adamsapple

I don't think so. Japanese companies are rarely, rarely bullish when it comes to "massive" buyouts, unlike american ones. I do not believe for a moment that Sony or Nintendo would have considered acquiring a publisher, even a medium sized one before MS went for Zenimax...

FYI, rumors about Sony buying Zenimax were coming out around January 2020, long before MS actually bought them. If you trust what insiders say, Bethesda/Zenimax had put themselves up for sale to all suitors and Sony was also in the running, before MS made their offer.

ManaByte

I just want Microsoft to buy a bunch of Japanese companies, and make the waifu chasing degenerates of western society take to posting longwinded meltdown rants about how Xbox doesn't deserve JRPGs.

Is that too much to ask?

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Sony buys full sets of Marvin Gardens, Pacific Avenue and Kentuky Avenue (Red Yellow and Green sets) and has already started putting hotels on them, then complains when Microsoft is about to complete it's Park Avenue and Boardwalk set. The F'ing irony.

Come on now. None of the kids these days understand what a monopoly is, as evidenced by the backlash to this acquisition. Why would they begin to understand the Monopoly board game's terminology?

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

200.gif

CuNi

Made me laugh. I miss those times to be honest.

adamsapple

2fc262f795fef4b00358518ebb402b3c.jpg

ManaByte

Come on now. None of the kids these days understand what a monopoly is, as evidenced by the backlash to this acquisition. Why would they begin to understand the Monopoly board game's terminology?
When Sega released the Genesis in 1989, Nintendo controlled 95% of the video game industry. These people will claim that wasn’t a monopoly, but MS growing to 12% would be a monopoly.

FYI, rumors about Sony buying Zenimax were coming out around January 2020, long before MS actually bought them. If you trust what insiders say, Bethesda/Zenimax had put themselves up for sale to all suitors and Sony was also in the running, before MS made their offer.

Rumors...oh yeah, solid evidence. There were rumors about Apple eyeing Sony, about Sony coveting multiple entities...Rumors...
What I mentioned is a general tendency that characterizes japanese companies compared to western ones. Neither better, nor worse, mind you...It's just a different mindset, to a certain extent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom