• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanna Know The Future Of MCU? Brie Larson Knows The Answer.

Barnabot

*putting on my sunglasses*

Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame star Brie Larson has been an outspoken advocate for diversity in the film industry, and she's now shared her thoughts on a more diverse future for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

On Variety's Big Ticket podcast, host Marc Malkin expressed that he never thought he'd see an LGBT hero when he was growing up. “That breaks my heart to hear that, because there’s no reason," Larson responded. "I don’t understand how you could think that a certain type of person isn’t allowed to be a superhero. So to me it’s like, we gotta move faster. But I’m always wanting to move faster with this stuff.”

“It wasn’t enough for me to just look strong on a poster; it needed to extend further than that,” she added. “I feel like I can’t at the end of the day go to sleep at night if I didn’t do everything that I possibly could.”
Larson also addressed the success of Captain Marvel, which has grossed over $1 billion at the box office. “I’m happy to be on the forefront of the normalization of this type of content and to prove once again that representation matters. Diverse storytelling matters, the female experience matters, and these are markers,” Larson said. “So it’s something I’ve always known and I think a lot of people always knew, but this is just normalizing.”

The box office success of Captain Marvel makes it clear the superhero will get another solo film sooner rather than later. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has been adamant that the future of the MCU will be more diverse. Considering the upcoming Shang-Chi film, Eternals and Black Panther 2, it seems likely the amount of diversity in the MCU will increase going forward.

Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, Avengers: Endgame stars Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, Brie Larson as Captain Marvel, Paul Rudd as Ant-Man, Don Cheadle as War Machine, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Danai Gurira as Okoye and Bradley Cooper as Rocket, with Gwyneth Paltrow Pepper Potts, Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan, Benedict Wong as Wong, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie and Josh Brolin as Thanos. The film is in theaters now.

*taking off my sunglasses*

Source:
https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-brie-larson-mcu-faster-diversity/

I've tried to move on from her but she never had abandoned us. She feels she can't sleep at night if she knows that someone from somewhere is not being represented by a fictional hero.

She not just Brie Larson nor Captain Marvel anymore. She is Capitain Brie Larson, the icon.

Last edited:

NickFire

Her apparent complaints about the type of people who normally interview people in super hero movies rubbed me really wrong. Frankly, its probably less about what she said, and more about the lack of the same backlash a white guy would get for saying such things about any other demographic. But I have no issue with her wanting to make strong female characters. None, zero, nada. And I thought her character was just fine in endgame. So I'm moving on from her comments and chalking her up as another attractive face with shit for brains who thinks being attractive makes her astute, and moving onto new discussions.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The 5 year gap in between Endgame and Xmen is gonna be awkward for the MCU. It'll survive it but ya things gonna get weird.

cryptoadam

Banned
MCU is going all woke for their next phases.

Tony's daughter and Hawkeye's daughter will eventually take over their dads roles, I give it about 5 years till they reboot those characters.

BP and CM are going to be at the forefront of the MCU and will be big players in the New Avengers, along with Sam who will be the new captain America.

AntMan is lucky enough that he has the Wasp there, but expect it to switch to the Wasp and Antman. If there was no Wasp, Antman would probably be stuck in the Quantum realm. Also his daugher will probably become the new Antwomen at some point.

Valkyrie isn't Thor, but they may try to do some sort of Asgard series with her as a solo movie, lets see how MIB does BO wise. If not they can easily just create a female or black Thor.

The Cis White Males will be stuck off in space cordoned off in the GOTG series, but they probably kill of Thor and Peter at some point.

Last edited:

NickFire

Tony's daughter and Hawkeye's daughter will eventually take over their dads roles, I give it about 5 years till they reboot those characters.

BP and CM are going to be at the forefront of the MCU and will be big players in the New Avengers, along with Sam who will be the new captain America.

All of this is ok by me and might actually get me interested in a reboot down the road, especially if they bring in X-Men. Tony's daughter can easily replace his role as long as she is brilliant, and her genetic code makes that a very strong possibility. Hawkeye's skills are basically Black Widow's plus arrows and swords, and she has his genetic code for the additions. Sam was hand picked by Cap so nothing out of place there. BP is a huge fan favorite. And CM's biggest issue was the poor choice of words the actress chose out of costume, at least IMO.

My view is simple. Its cool and good to cast a wider net when fishing. Just don't shit on the fish in the smaller net.

Barnabot

AntMan is lucky enough that he has the Wasp there, but expect it to switch to the Wasp and Antman. If there was no Wasp, Antman would probably be stuck in the Quantum realm. Also his daugher will probably become the new Antwomen at some point.

Valkyrie isn't Thor, but they may try to do some sort of Asgard series with her as a solo movie, lets see how MIB does BO wise. If not they can easily just create a female or black Thor.

The Cis White Males will be stuck off in space cordoned off in the GOTG series, but they probably kill of Thor and Peter at some point.
It's like you are foreseeing the push of "Diversity" in every MCU movie and watching it cannibalizing itself as the time passes.

JimiNutz

Banned
X-Men is actually a really good franchise to naturally preach a 'woke' message. Haven't the mutants always been discriminated against, abused by governments and faced threats of outright extermination from their own fellow humans?

Seems like the perfect franchise to just naturally insert your SJW agenda, since it's been there all along in the source material, rather than to force it into the MCU as a whole at every single possible opportunity. I'm 100% for seeing Gay/Asian/Muslim heroes, no issue with that. Just don't make it feel forced and insincere.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So diverse 21 films for male heroes 1 for female

Yeah this corporate woke was just too mindowing

Make Black Panther into a pro CIA anti liberation corporate shill lol so woke

Look I wouldn’t care if these people weren’t entirely full of shit

Ownage

They will keep Thor, but in the theme of diversity now be known as Fat Thor, to represent those large and in charge.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
ExNfAUC.gif

Dthomp

They will keep Thor, but in the theme of diversity now be known as Fat Thor, to represent those large and in charge.

Can't wait for Thor to die in GotG3 and be replaced with female Thor from the comics. It's truly the only way, it's what that awful actress wants in her MCU, all women, just none that are talented enough to show how bad she is at acting.

Isn't Adam Warlock all kinds of badass? Thor is the perfect person to be sacrificed to him, being he's an OG Avenger and not part of the Diversi-Vengers

juliotendo

MCU will be rebooted as much as Disney has to reboot it in order to sell toys and trinkets, and get tourists to attend their theme parks.

If Disney has to cast a transsexual vegan midget as Iron Man because maybe in the year 2025 transsexual vegan midget rights are a thing in the social consciousness of the public at that time, Disney will do it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It'll just get dumber. It's honestly already pretty dumb, and almost a kids only movie as is. The indoctrination will be more for the next generation of children.

kunonabi

They're even going a step farther than that what with Valkyrie as the new real black, female gay Thor. They might not give her the name like they did for Jane in the comics but that is exactly what's happening.

We're also specifically getting a gay actor to lead the Eteranals too.

Shang-Chi is also coming for that Asian rep and of course Captain America is now black.

Ms. Marvel is on the way whether anybody actually wants it or not.

Female Hawkeye and Cassie Lang as Stinger to take over for Ant-Man. At least Hawkeye's daughter taking over isn't nearly as retarded as that Kate Bishop crap and Cassie taking over makes sense and has some groundwork laid out for it.

We're absolutely heading for Marvel Now territory. Under normal circumstances I'd expect the MCU version to be far better but watching the last 3 movies and how rough the writing has been I'm not so sure anymore.

The sad part about all this is that this really shouldn't be such a huge talking point one way or the other. Hell, most of my favorite Marvel characters before I bailed were female and/or minorities yet somehow both the films and the current state of comics can't find a way to use any of them to tell good stories these days.

highrider

Banned
You take yourself kind of seriously there eh Brie? Because it is possible to be a good looking doofus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom