• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to play Ninja Gaiden, don't know where to start

Rykan

Title refers to the 3D games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, it goes like this for the first game:
  • Ninja Gaiden.
  • Ninja Gaiden Black, which is the same game but with additional stuff.
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma, which is Black but with additional stuff but also some changes to the core gameplay and the visual aspects (bloom up the ass, apparently, which was the style at the time).
Which has me wondering, which one should I try to play? I've always heard that Black is the better one, but since I don't have an Xbox playing that one is going to be complicated.
So I wanted to ask you fine people at GAF: does it really matter? will I miss on the true experience if I don't play Black? or is it perfectly fine to go Sigma?

Also, what about the sequels? And finally... any bros here have any experience with the Master Collection on PC? Looks like a shit port but some people claim it got fixed.
Do yourself a favor and just purchase the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection for your platform of choice (I'd avoid the Switch version)

Contrary to what some purists will say, Ninja Gaiden Black is not significantly better than Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a perfectly viable version of Ninja Gaiden 1 to play.

Ninja Gaiden sigma 2 is simply inferior to the original Xbox 360 version of the game, but it it is only bad in comparison. Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma is still a very fun game to play. Razors Edge is the best version of NG3. Maybe one day you'll be able to play the original Ninja Gaiden 2, which will then be a perfect excuse to play through the game again.

Last edited:
Just buy the NG Sigma collection. It's available on pretty much every relevant console and contains all three mainline games. I wouldn't bother buying and setting up an original Xbox just to play the definitive version of the first game but it's up to you.

Last edited:
I'd go with the Trilogy for NES, then Ninja Gaiden Black and finally Ninja Gaiden 2.

Then pretend they ended the franchise there and that it went out with dignity.

Just buy the NG Sigma collection. It's available on pretty much every relevant console and contains all three mainline games. I wouldn't bother buying and setting up an original Xbox just to play the definitive version of the first game but it's up to you.

Backwards compatibility is a thing. Black literally works on every Xbox ever made, and 2 works on everything except the OG Xbox.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Contrary to what some purists will say, Ninja Gaiden Black is not significantly better than Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a perfectly viable version of Ninja Gaiden 1 to play.
I would say Sigma is the definitive version. I also just remembered that since the interact button is the same as the attack button in Black, there was an instance where a survival challenge was reset by attacking an enemy at a door and unintentionally exiting the room after nearly five minutes of attempting said challenge.

The Office No GIF

Last edited:

Killer8

Sigma is certainly not bad but it's a much more uneven experience compared to Black. The new dual katanas and the quality of life additions like in-game inventory are nice, but Team Ninja also added several chapters in the middle of the game where you play as big titty sidekick Rachel. On paper that sounds like a bonus, since it's a substantial amount of extra content, but in practice these chapters simply aren't any good and drag down the game's pacing. The levels re-use the same environments you already played in as Ryu Hayabusa, making it feel similar to backtracking - except now with an infinitely worse combat system. I really really hate the way Rachel plays.

Sigma 2 on the other hand is a much worse game. The gore and dismemberment in NG2 was an integral part of its style but for some bizarre reason Sigma 2 replaced a lot of blood with ethereal purple ooze. The impact of the violence is completely taken away from the game. However, the problems stretch beyond just stylistic, as Sigma 2 also dramatically cut down the enemy count. Some chapters feel like ghost towns in Sigma 2 compared to the original X360 game:

fart town usa

Gold Member
All I know is that 3 is hot garbage. I got the Wii U version for cheap cause I thought I read it was superior version of 3, lol. Even if it is, it's still trash.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Sigma is certainly not bad but it's a much more uneven experience compared to Black. The new dual katanas and the quality of life additions like in-game inventory are nice, but Team Ninja also added several chapters in the middle of the game where you play as big titty sidekick Rachel. On paper that sounds like a bonus, since it's a substantial amount of extra content, but in practice these chapters simply aren't any good and drag down the game's pacing. The levels re-use the same environments you already played in as Ryu Hayabusa, making it feel similar to backtracking - except now with an infinitely worse combat system. I really really hate the way Rachel plays.
Rachel chapters can be speed ran with great ease as they have no key items or puzzles and simply go from map point A to map point B to face a short challenge room/boss. There are chapters in the Ryu sections that drag far more. Also, it is kind of fun to spam UTs and dodge throw once you get the hang of them. Items are cheap and essense can be quickly farmed in hidden survival challenges.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

What I did, was I bought a Series S in 2020, and bought both NG1 Black and NG2 for it (NG2 would be delisted from GP after a few months). Don't look at any other port or collection. Sigma 1 is not as bad as some might tell you, but Black is still superior.

You can also go SX and physical.

Ninja Gaiden Black is arguably my favorite action game of all time imo, but Sigma is still very good. Still better than the majority of action games today despite the hate it receives.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is excellent as well and I even think it has better gameplay than Ninja Gaiden, but it’s not quite as polished occasionally. Still amazing. The Sigma 2 version is great as well, but it’s censored from the original XBOX version and had other changes like less enemies on screen.

NG3: Razor’s Edge is VASTLY superior to the original NG3 and imo really good as well. Excellent gameplay and a lot of fun, but I don’t think the level design is as quite as complex as NG or NG2. It’s much more linear which is fine, but just something to throw out there.

The Ninja Gaiden Master collection is a really good way to experience all 3 games, but they are the Sigma versions.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
The ideal setup is to play Black, then vanilla NG2. That said, if you don't have an Xbox, then the Master Collection is a fine option. I would get it on PC because of mods.
The best answer in the thread, though in some ways I honestly prefer Sigma 2.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who's left his feedback. Thanks!

Still don't know what to do lol. All that's clear to me after reading all your feedback is that those games are the shit and now I want to play them even more. :goog_relieved:
As I said, I think I'll try to snatch a Series S later on to play Black. If that's too much I might resort to the Master Collection on PC, although I'd prefer the original Itagaki experience.

Ninja Gaiden Black is arguably my favorite action game of all time imo, but Sigma is still very good. Still better than the majority of action games today despite the hate it receives.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is excellent as well and I even think it has better gameplay than Ninja Gaiden, but it’s not quite as polished occasionally. Still amazing. The Sigma 2 version is great as well, but it’s censored from the original XBOX version and had other changes like less enemies on screen.

NG3: Razor’s Edge is VASTLY superior to the original NG3 and imo really good as well. Excellent gameplay and a lot of fun, but I don’t think the level design is as quite as complex as NG or NG2. It’s much more linear which is fine, but just something to throw out there.

The Ninja Gaiden Master collection is a really good way to experience all 3 games, but they are the Sigma versions.

Agreed, having said that :
- Sigma 1, while adding a couple of cool extra scenes (Hayabusa village on fire/Doku fight), the fact that it doesn't feature joypad rumble makes it feel..."hollow" (?) since you feel/get no feedback when hitting enemies/receiving damage, it may sound silly but, for me, the lack of rumble in an action game is a no-go.
Also : the constant random stutter/loading when opening chests etc is infuriating.

- Sigma 2 : I was one of those that didn't mind the changes when I first played and finished it back in the day but, after finishing OG NG2 on the XSX a couple of months back for the nth time and then replaying Sigma 2 via game pass again the changes are not only palpable but actually bad...halls upon empty halls/corridors with zero enemies , less enemies on screen, sponge-y enemies etc etc...it really is the lesser experience between the two games.

- Razor's edge, while much better that vanilla 3 is still an absolutely mediocre game with bad, ugly and bland level design.
Also : compared to the other 2 games, it's the most button-mashy of them all, never really liked its combat system with its infinite moves list (I get OCD just opening the menu).

Just my opinion of course , cheers

Naked Lunch

The Ninja Gaidens play best on an Xbox Series consoles.
There is zero subsitute for Black and OG NGII. Thats just a fact.
It seems like its pulling teeth for many posters to just simply recommend an Xbox.

TintoConCasera TintoConCasera from reading youre posts thru the years - it seems like you game on the classics just as much as modern gaming. In addition to the best Ninja Gaiden versions available - im sure theres plenty of other backwards compat stuff the Xbox console offers that would interest you. Stuff like Panzer Dragoon Orta, MGS 2-3/Raizing, Strania, Phantom Dust, Otogi 1/2 - so theres alot of value beyond just playing the Ninja Gaidens.

Just my 2 cents.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The Ninja Gaidens play best on an Xbox Series consoles.
There is zero subsitute for Black and OG NGII. Thats just a fact.
It seems like its pulling teeth for many posters to just simply recommend an Xbox.

TintoConCasera TintoConCasera from reading youre posts thru the years - it seems like you game on the classics just as much as modern gaming. In addition to the best Ninja Gaiden versions available - im sure theres plenty of other backwards compat stuff the Xbox console offers that would interest you. Stuff like Panzer Dragoon Orta, MGS 2-3/Raizing, Strania, Phantom Dust, Otogi 1/2 - so theres alot of value beyond just playing the Ninja Gaidens.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes, that's probably what I'll end up doing, getting a Series S and pluggin it to a CRT or 1080p TV just to play the old Xbox games that I couldn't play back in the day.

Many of those have already been ported to PC, but lots don't seem to be going to be ported anytime soon, like Gears 2 & 3, Lost Odysseys or Asura's Wrath. So what I'm going to do is do some research and decide if the investment is worth it, although it probably is.

dave_d

I got to ask for those that have played Black quite a bit. How long before things really click? I mean I'm playing it now and I'm currently on level 3. Sure I have moments where I obliterate soldiers and I can see I'm doing better than on level 1 but I don't think I've quite got to the clicked moment.

I got to ask for those that have played Black quite a bit. How long before things really click? I mean I'm playing it now and I'm currently on level 3. Sure I have moments where I obliterate soldiers and I can see I'm doing better than on level 1 but I don't think I've quite got to the clicked moment.
Can take a while. It's a fully new combat system. It's not a spin-off of DMC. It's not like anything else. You have to just put in time to learn the intricacies of the gameplay systems. The 1st boss is a hard stop for a lot of people who don't try to learn how to play, or even look up suggestions for strategies.

Do you mean you don't like the game, or you don't think you're good at it yet? Also, upgrading the weapons opens up some crucial moves that change your playstyle.

dave_d

Can take a while. It's a fully new combat system. It's not a spin-off of DMC. It's not like anything else. You have to just put in time to learn the intricacies of the gameplay systems. The 1st boss is a hard stop for a lot of people who don't try to learn how to play, or even look up suggestions for strategies.

Do you mean you don't like the game, or you don't think you're good at it yet? Also, upgrading the weapons opens up some crucial moves that change your playstyle.
Oh I'm not good at it, that's what I mean. Seems pretty good so far. It's giving me Vanquish vibes where the point of the game is to play it and get good not to complete it.

Oh I'm not good at it, that's what I mean. Seems pretty good so far. It's giving me Vanquish vibes where the point of the game is to play it and get good not to complete it.
Yeah, just takes time. There's challenge stages in Black afterwards also, and the higher difficulties actually have new enemy AI, and new enemies. It's meant to be replayed over and over.

Compared to other action games, you are meant to block WAY more. Almost all the time. You can do your roll out of the block so that holding block barely even limits your movement. The counters are huge. If you don't know how to do an "On Landing Ultimate Technique (OLUT)" it's the most crucial technique in the game, and it also ties into holding block.

Ultimate technique is when you absorb souls for the super move. If you jump and start that hold right when your feet touch the ground, you absorb it instantly so you're not open. That's the only way to use UT. You can also mix this in after getting hit and landing into an UT, or after some air slashes you can land into an UT.

When you hold block, you don't absorb the souls. So you're meant to hold block and even fight with counters and lightning fast hits and then hit block again, so you only absorb it when you're ready for the UT.

Also most people overlook shuriken, but they're pretty much the best projectile as they can stun enemies as you close in, and are fun to toss out singles to mix in with your combos, or floater combos.

More than most games (especially part 2) you're constantly manipulating the brief invincibility windows in animations and then hitting block, and this is all mixed in with rapid wall running or the head stomp jump so that you don't get grabbed.

Just takes practice, repetition and maybe watching some videos.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
The best answer in the thread, though in some ways I honestly prefer Sigma 2.
What about Sigma 2 do you prefer?

It will likely click when you beat Chapter 6: The Monastery. By that point you should have a grasp on mechanics and the theme for the whole game is set. However, there is so much more to discover on even repeat playthroughs if you stick with it.

P.S. The emulation of Ninja Gaiden Black is imperfect on Series consoles. There was likely a widescreen patch for the game that causes some artifacting on the sides of the screen when showing particle effects in places like the lava cave. Forgot to mention this.

Last edited:

dave_d

Yeah, just takes time. There's challenge stages in Black afterwards also, and the higher difficulties actually have new enemy AI, and new enemies. It's meant to be replayed over and over.

Compared to other action games, you are meant to block WAY more. Almost all the time. You can do your roll out of the block so that holding block barely even limits your movement. The counters are huge. If you don't know how to do an "On Landing Ultimate Technique (OLUT)" it's the most crucial technique in the game, and it also ties into holding block.

Ultimate technique is when you absorb souls for the super move. If you jump and start that hold right when your feet touch the ground, you absorb it instantly so you're not open. That's the only way to use UT. You can also mix this in after getting hit and landing into an UT, or after some air slashes you can land into an UT.

When you hold block, you don't absorb the souls. So you're meant to hold block and even fight with counters and lightning fast hits and then hit block again, so you only absorb it when you're ready for the UT.

Also most people overlook shuriken, but they're pretty much the best projectile as they can stun enemies as you close in, and are fun to toss out singles to mix in with your combos, or floater combos.

More than most games (especially part 2) you're constantly manipulating the brief invincibility windows in animations and then hitting block, and this is all mixed in with rapid wall running or the head stomp jump so that you don't get grabbed.

Just takes practice, repetition and maybe watching some videos.
Wait block? I do find myself dodging a lot but I don't find myself staying in once spot blocking much because I've just run into soldiers who grab me and then slash. I was also wondering how you can even do a UT since it didn't seem like there was much of an opening. (Pretty much the only way I've been able to do it is to knock the last guy down and charge up before he can get up.) I'll have to try some of the stuff you mentioned. Thanks again.

dave_d

It will likely click when you beat Chapter 6: The Monastery. By that point you should have a grasp on mechanics and the theme for the whole game is set. However, there is so much more to discover on even repeat playthroughs if you stick with it.

Good to know, I do think I'm getting better. I'm figuring it's one of those games once I get decent at it the old enemies will seem way less difficult.

SkylineRKR

Sigma 2 on the other hand is a much worse game. The gore and dismemberment in NG2 was an integral part of its style but for some bizarre reason Sigma 2 replaced a lot of blood with ethereal purple ooze. The impact of the violence is completely taken away from the game. However, the problems stretch beyond just stylistic, as Sigma 2 also dramatically cut down the enemy count. Some chapters feel like ghost towns in Sigma 2 compared to the original X360 game:

I actually played Sigma 2 before the original, first few stages aside because my system died. And even I could tell something was not right in Sigma 2. Its just that there are many parts in a stage, obvious places where a fight should take place, stay completely empty. But thats not all, they removed any kind of interactivity and exploration. Not that NG2's exploration is anything to write home about, but I didn't mind going a bit out of my way to find a keycard. And I am just going to say it; I like having limited projectiles. You can't always waste them and it feels good to find resupplies.

Sigma 2 improved on a few things. It made some encounters less frustrating but I think the ghost fish boss was neutered too much. That fight became a chore for how easy it is.

Shut0wen

If you cant play black i wouldnt bother with sigma fustrating series especially when compared to 2 and black

Reizo Ryuu

Wait block? I do find myself dodging a lot but I don't find myself staying in once spot blocking much because I've just run into soldiers who grab me and then slash. I was also wondering how you can even do a UT since it didn't seem like there was much of an opening. (Pretty much the only way I've been able to do it is to knock the last guy down and charge up before he can get up.) I'll have to try some of the stuff you mentioned. Thanks again.
Yes block, it doesn't mean literally stand still and hold block, just to hold it to prevent absorption of essence. So the way to move around press and hold block+direction so you roll, at the end of the roll you press jump, and then right before landing you release and immediately press block+direction to roll again. Then if you see a moment for an ultimate attack, instead of press block before landing, you press and hold heavy attack right before hitting the ground; this is called an on-land ultimate attack and allows near instant absorption of essence.

Once you master this, you can play the game in the most effective way possible by taking advantage of essence absorption loops.

Some old AF cam footage of me doing these loops here.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Good to know, I do think I'm getting better. I'm figuring it's one of those games once I get decent at it the old enemies will seem way less difficult.
If the old enemies get boring you can replay the game on a higher difficulty and you will have the chance to face different enemies in Black/Sigma. On Hard mode the game's array of enemies becomes more interesting than normal from my perspective. If those become too easy, higher difficulties with a few new enemies added await. In addition, once the game is beaten once, Mission Mode is unlocked and provides even more challenges to enjoy

Last edited:

dave_d

If the old enemies get boring you can replay the game on a higher difficulty and you will have the chance to face different enemies in Black/Sigma. On Hard mode the game's array of enemies becomes more interesting than normal from my perspective. If those become too easy, higher difficulties with a few new enemies added await. In addition, once the game is beaten once, Mission Mode is unlocked and provides even more challenges to enjoy
Sounds cool. Then again I never did go back to replay Vanquish at higher difficulties either so I'm not sure I will here either. (Note to self, some day replay Vanquish.)

Havoc2049

I'll do! Once my retro setup is complete. Currently waiting for the carpenter dude to finish the furniture I ordered for it.

Sigma balls.
Just for info, the original Xbox Ninja Gaiden has the NES NG Trilogy as an unlockable, while NG Black has NG Arcade as an unlockable. The games can be played at the arcade machine in Han's bar. Once you finish the game and certain conditions are met, you can play them from the main menu as well.

Banned
Series X backwards compatibility is your friend. better performance and image quality.

get NG Black and NG2

if you really love them then you can use the Sigma versions as an excuse to replay them.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I think after Ninja Gaiden 2 all games got censored with pixie dust instead of blood.

So i would only play 1 and 2 since the violence was a big part of the game IMO.

Top Bottom