• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanted: Dead |OT| Ex-Team Ninja Gun Fu

How about fixing the difficulty (or the checkpoints). I tried 20+ times to kill the ninja HALFWAY THROUGH LEVEL 1 and cannot beat him. This is the 1st level!
That guy gave me a lot of trouble early on. He's the hardest normal enemy type in the game. Harder than all the later versions of ninjas.

So damn catchy. I love this song lol.

Beat level 2 super easily. I had so much trouble the first time on that boss. Beat him 1st try now. Its crazy how much better you get when you fully understand the game.

Last edited:

stn

Hell yeah!

Wishlist:
- Stage select
- Add colors to the buttons in the rhythm mini games corresponding to controller.
- Challenge room DLC
- Costume DLC
- Polish the game generally.

Not sure what else to ask for. I already loved it. Glad they are still invested. I want a sequel very badly.
I haven't even beaten the game yet but I'd be so down for general polishing, technical improvements and quality of life stuff, costumes, boss rush, and anything else they can think of.

Arsic

How about fixing the difficulty (or the checkpoints). I tried 20+ times to kill the ninja HALFWAY THROUGH LEVEL 1 and cannot beat him. This is the 1st level!

Bruh. Skill issue. Seriously. Parry, dodge, use gun from far away, use nades, spend skill points, etc.

Those are regular jobber enemies in the game. This is NOT the game's fault at all. In the slightest.

----

I was hoping if they do add anything it would be a reason to replay with a scoreboard for online ranking. How fast you beat it, how little damage you take, combo extensions, etc. It would give this game legs and a reason to come back to it.

Hayabusa83

Banned
I'm no stranger to action games (I ranked top 500 on the NGB leaderboards back in the day, and I loveee the Souls games) but I feel like most of Wanted's challenge comes from fighting mechanics and bad design rather than dying because of lack of skill. Wanted is still a solid game but I think it has obvious flaws.

Very objective analysis. I agree.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Bruh. Skill issue. Seriously. Parry, dodge, use gun from far away, use nades, spend skill points, etc.

Those are regular jobber enemies in the game. This is NOT the game's fault at all. In the slightest.

----

I was hoping if they do add anything it would be a reason to replay with a scoreboard for online ranking. How fast you beat it, how little damage you take, combo extensions, etc. It would give this game legs and a reason to come back to it.
I did all of that. Parry really doesn't work. I try to parry and 2 hits from the ninja and I'm dead.....replay 30 minute section again. Even threw grenade when the ninja came out of the room, then flurried him with bullet time, then fired from afar....ran, used sword, ran......used guns.....he sprints right over....I 'parry' and I'm dead.

I did all of that. Parry really doesn't work. I try to parry and 2 hits from the ninja and I'm dead.....replay 30 minute section again. Even threw grenade when the ninja came out of the room, then flurried him with bullet time, then fired from afar....ran, used sword, ran......used guns.....he sprints right over....I 'parry' and I'm dead.
The parry is a little strange. At the beginning you have the ability to just block one hit. So you can block the first hit since its a little more unpredictable and try to parry the 2nd hit. When you upgrade and can block 2 hits it gets easier.

The dual blade ninja typically has a 3 hit combo with a front flip slash that just has to be parried, and you have to parry until the last hit then that final parry staggers them.

They also have the unblockable attacks that are tough but always give a chance for large damage when you counter. Pistol is a great way to build up damage safely at mid range but this is the only ninja type in the game with shuriken so its a little more risky than all the other ninjas.

The biggest thing about the parry that is deceptive is that sometimes the window on it is weirdly huge. If you go into training mode you may notice what I'm talking about. Sometimes you can hit the parry button early in their attack animation and if you hold the button down it still counts the parry in many instances. You still have to prepare yourself for multiple hit combos requiring multiple parries but particularly on that last hit in a combo the window can be deceptively large.

Most of the other ninjas after this guy are much easier. It is a strange early road block.

Once you unlock incendiary grenades you can also stun ninjas with them and hit with machine or Pistol fire later in the game.

Last edited:

Arsic

I will also add, this game DOES have animation cancelling.

If you for example do one sword swing, and hit block, you can cancel the animation to string into something else. Normally the full melee slash combo leaves you hanging at the end open to attacks, but you can cancel that out. You can cancel the gun shot as well.

It's explained in this slightly rambling review. Fast forward to 4:25.

Last edited:
A couple more advanced level tips I just realized that are actually game changing.
1. Bullet time let's you head shot snipe enemies from distance with very efficient ammo use.
2. While aiming with a gun switch to semi-auto by hitting up on the dpad. If you want to conserve ammo in a fire fight and are hunting for headshots this is how you do it. The head shots do way more damage. Then switch back to full auto after you aren't pinned down. Especially happens on harder difficulties from what I hear.

Reactions: Isa
The more I play this, the more I enjoy the voice acting and the dialog between the characters. It's even better than some high dollar AAA games, that take themselves too serious.
2nd time through I felt some of the cutscenes were actually good. Going into level 3 club, it cuts to anime right at the natural time and the music is used well, then cuts back. Actually pretty slick.

Reactions: Isa

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The more I play this, the more I enjoy the voice acting and the dialog between the characters. It's even better than some high dollar AAA games, that take themselves too serious.
Watching the trailer it immediately reminded me of old school arcade voice acting - stuff like Ghost Squad. But with extra 'fuck you, you fucking mother fucking bitch fuck.'

I will also add, this game DOES have animation cancelling.

If you for example do one sword swing, and hit block, you can cancel the animation to string into something else. Normally the full melee slash combo leaves you hanging at the end open to attacks, but you can cancel that out. You can cancel the gun shot as well.

It's explained in this slightly rambling review. Fast forward to 4:25.

That video is straight fire. The way he calls out IGN and reviewers is glorious.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

One thing I can't unsee now is a slightly discolored square the size of a text box on the bottom left of the screen. It shows up under virtual screen in psvr2 too so I'm pretty sure it is something off with the game.

That and other games are still fine on my display, and it doesn't seem to appear during cutscenes

It's like a hidden text box faded to blend into the background. Most visible in the police station stages.

Other than that, hard mode is coming across as more fun mode now that I understand the mechanics a bit more.

Still haven't tried the very hard mode yet, but will probably give it a go after the first patch

Last edited:

Filben

Man, don't they have a dev blog or something? Reading text as images on fucking twitter is a pain in the ass on the phone. Fuck social media. Give me a responsive website to get news and updates.

Not targeting you, of course, just fed up with the trend of devs and publishers put out news via this trash media.

Edit: already looked at the official page where their latest news is the launch trailer and on the deb's page the latest news is that they released the game.

Last edited:

RedC

As someone who sucks playing these types of games, I beat the game last weekend on easy and enjoyed it.

I loved the bullet time and execution mechanics.

Heavy John Wick and Kill Bill influence especially with the anime flashback sequences.

I thought the characters and story could've been better, by fully embracing its wackiness, weirdness, or trashiness instead of just leaning into it.

Arsic

Why do people hate on this game so much? The combat is good and the game fun, its not perfect but its a good laugh

I think $60 is a tall price for what the game actually is. $40 and under would’ve gone over better. Gamepass and it would’ve been much better off.

That said there’s definitely room for improvement in most aspects of the game.

I do hope we get a sequel. I’m on board with what Is here.

near

Gold Member
Man, don't they have a dev blog or something? Reading text as images on fucking twitter is a pain in the ass on the phone. Fuck social media. Give me a responsive website to get news and updates.

Not targeting you, of course, just fed up with the trend of devs and publishers put out news via this trash media.

Edit: already looked at the official page where their latest news is the launch trailer and on the deb's page the latest news is that they released the game.

Its not 2010, offical websites have become pretty much redundant outside high profile games. Twitter and discord are the primary outlets for information aggregates used by devs.

anthony2690

Banned
Finished Hogwarts Legacy yesterday + every single side quest :)

Played three hours of wanted dead this morning, it's a lot more fun than I expected so far.

Got my ass kicked by the white ninja guy first time I encountered him.

I still think the budget has been blown on the soundtrack & I find the mini games fairly fun, spent quite a bit of time on the shooting gallery :)

& My missus won me all the claw machine items that were currently available to me 😁

Last edited:
Hard mode complete. On to Japanese Hard Mode.

4709e08f-6ee6-46b2-8d8e-f289213c62f3_text.gif

anthony2690

Banned
Finished this today :)
Spent quite a bit of time on the mini games, ate 7 bowls of ramen then gave up, as the pattern stayed the same and it seemed like it was going to go on forever, no idea if it's never ending or not?

I wish space runaway, didn't spawn you at the start of the level when you get hit, I hate that in stgs, I think I'd really enjoy the STG otherwise.

Oh man, the last level had some very very frustrating sections & the music kept looping?

The music album made specially for the game is excellent and I enjoyed listening to a lot of the songs.

I think overall the game is a very mixed bag, parts of it I find so charming and absolutely love & I really enjoyed my time, I was surprised how short it was.

Other parts are just frustrating, performance issues/slideshow at times, not vaulting/climbing, bugging out when going in cover, last level is a nightmare with some enemies/camera in small corridors.

I loved the karaoke, shame there isn't more songs!

That video is straight fire. The way he calls out IGN and reviewers is glorious.

Great youtuber right there. He knows his shit when it comes to shmups and beat em ups/action games. He has a good history of spot on reviews that call out mainstream reviewers and makes them look bad but in a polite way. I've learned a lot about shmups and good game design from this dude.

Great youtuber right there. He knows his shit when it comes to shmups and beat em ups/action games. He has a good history of spot on reviews that call out mainstream reviewers and makes them look bad but in a polite way. I've learned a lot about shmups and good game design from this dude.
Yeah, noticed that when skimming his content. Dude seems pretty well-read too. I might have to take a few pointers from him to improve my shmup game skills.

Last edited:

Larsowitz

Playing this on the PC and its nowhere near as bad as its being made out to be
It supports high refresh rates and 21:9 widescreen without issues out of the box, which is very good.

GPU utilization is bad though (40-60%). There is a lot of stutter as well…maybe that is normal for unreal engine games?

HDR does not work on my Screen too.

Hope they can patch this. It feels like a NG game…

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Enjoying this game immensely, some of those cutscenes, man :D And I like the gameplay too, except the part where I had to kill a room full of dudes to fight that super strong ninja in the first level. Turned on Neko-chan mode and now it's maybe too easy? I'm sure I'll eat those words later...

R6Rider

Gold Member
Maybe it was already asked (maybe even by me lol), but does this have any Dualsense features? Haptics or trigger effects?

Gambit2483

Just started playing (was on sale for $50 at Amazon) and wow....😂 what is this voice acting?? Why does the Captain look like a low rent Danny Glover with a blonde perm? 😅

I love high action quirky games like these. It's definitely inspired by Ninja Gaiden and Astral Chain with a hint of Deadly Premonition for those good ol "Wtf vibes". My only real complaint is it crashed on me twice in the first level...hopefully not a sign of things to come

Top Bottom