• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanted: Dead | Review Thread

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well...looks batshit crazy....AND it's a new IP......just bought it.

I'm tired of the endless sequels, spin-offs, remasters and ports.

Want to support this. Next up will be Atomic Heart, them Octopath Traveller 2 (although it's a sequel, there were things that they needed to do better this time around. And it's a #2...not a #16 like FF.)

For the record, I enjoyed it when it released, and still pop it in every now and then. Felt like that game was unfairly trashed.
People probably think I'm crazy when I keep repeating the same about NeverDead. I'm gonna make a bold claim that most if not all the reviews about it were utter nonsense and borderline hit pieces. It got scores like 1/10, 2/10 and 3/10 (from our very own IGN). Then faded away into obscurity.

IGN ranted about almost everything else rather then the gameplay like the female sidekick's clothing. There were hardly any details about the gameplay.

Last edited:
People probably think I'm crazy when I keep repeating the same about NeverDead. I'm gonna make claim all the reviews about it were utter nonsense and borderline hit pieces. It got scores like 1/10, 2/10 and 3/10 (from our very own IGN). Then faded away into obscurity.

IGN ranted about almost everything else rather then the gameplay like the female sidekick's clothing. There were hardly any details about the gameplay.
I still have that and never tried it. Need to hook up the PS3 some day. It's crazy how inventive it seems now compared to the boring crap peddled by major publishers today.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm getting total Devil's Third vibes from those brief writeups. I dunno, maybe the game will suck but D3rd is a legit good/fun game and if this is anything like it, I know I'll enjoy it.

Also, maybe it truly does suck but describing something as dated, and then knocking it for being dated just doesn't hold any weight for me. I'm much more interest in dated mechanics than I am modern mechanics.

bodine1231

Yes. The game is arguably not great. But this is so much worse.

Perfect example of some wannabe "critics" too. Can dish it, but the moment they're the ones on the receiving end of criticism, they go ballistics.

Yeah reminds me of that Yongyea guy. Claims to love games but 95% of his videos is a negative topic on the gaming industry. Just spreading bad vibes for clicks.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

Finished it - game is fun for the most part, I agree with that 7.5 noisy pixel review.

The good:
- combat is fun and stylish
- mini games are nice
- very oldskool style that we dont see much anymore

The bad:
- The game looks like a PS3/4 game
- is a tad janky and the camera can be annoying sometimes
- there is some big difficulty spikes - the first Ninja you meet and the final level which lacks checkpoints where they throw one hard enemy after another at you.
- can be unfair at times
- a tad short

The ugly:
- had a few crashes after dying and restarting.
- a game that looks like this shouldnt have heavy framedrops on PS5 - but doesnt happen often

Overall:
Had fun with it, but could have been quite abit better!

rkofan87

Gold Member
Despite the poor reviews I would've still picked this up if the price was right but for some reason they completely misjudged the market and put it up for 60EU on Steam. Instead, it should have been half that amount (or lower) and it would've also set expectations accordingly.

I get that they might've poured a lot of resources into it but the current pricing makes people think it's an AAA release when in reality it's not even a double-A title but a straight up B-Tier one. I'm fine with that btw but only for the right price.
this when this is 40$ i am in.

Kudos to Chris Plante at Polygon.

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/23598212/wanted-dead-review-steam-xbox-ps5

I feel like he's actually managing to articulate some of the reasons why I find this game so fascinating, and respect it as much as I do.

"The sheer audacity of creative choices contained within the police HQ entranced me. How did this get made? Why? For who?"

"The closest cultural comparison I can muster for Wanted: Dead is the 1960s French New Wave, when a band of critics turned filmmakers were hellbent on intentionally breaking cinema so that it could become something new. Traditional structure, framing, camera work, and all the other rules of filmmaking were questioned, blended, or outright abandoned."

Comandr

And for the cherry on top...

GKhmFs6.jpg
I mean for the most part though, he’s right. I had the luxury of playing a buddy’s copy of wanted: dead and couldn’t make it through the tutorial. The opening cutscene left such a bad taste in my mouth. If the rest of the game was going to be shaded like that, pass.

Everyone has said wild hearts is basically early access still and janky af. Broken settings and shit performance.

While I love Hogwarts, am like 60 hours in and on my second playthrough, there is no doubt that its performance suffers massively for little to no reason. You’ll just be walking along in the school and then your fps shits the bed and drops to 15 for a moment. Constantly tweaking settings and testing and modifying ini files to try to fix issues that should have been resolved before the game shipped DOES sap some of the fun out of it.

Zelda DOES look like DLC.

Goldeneye “remaster” having the same issues as it did on 64 to “remain authentic?” What?

And one piece odyssey suffers from ugly ass models, slow gameplay, and CONSTANT. BLACK. SCREENS. It’s just a poorly designed game.

While I disagree with a some of his opinions and definitely a lot of the hyperbole, he’s not totally wrong for expecting and demanding more out of these sterling IPs and their developers.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I mean for the most part though, he’s right. I had the luxury of playing a buddy’s copy of wanted: dead and couldn’t make it through the tutorial. The opening cutscene left such a bad taste in my mouth. If the rest of the game was going to be shaded like that, pass.

Everyone has said wild hearts is basically early access still and janky af. Broken settings and shit performance.

While I love Hogwarts, am like 60 hours in and on my second playthrough, there is no doubt that its performance suffers massively for little to no reason. You’ll just be walking along in the school and then your fps shits the bed and drops to 15 for a moment. Constantly tweaking settings and testing and modifying ini files to try to fix issues that should have been resolved before the game shipped DOES sap some of the fun out of it.

Zelda DOES look like DLC.

Goldeneye “remaster” having the same issues as it did on 64 to “remain authentic?” What?

And one piece odyssey suffers from ugly ass models, slow gameplay, and CONSTANT. BLACK. SCREENS. It’s just a poorly designed game.

While I disagree with a some of his opinions and definitely a lot of the hyperbole, he’s not totally wrong for expecting and demanding more out of these sterling IPs and their developers.

Imagine justifying a channel based almost entirely on seething negativity, rants, and foaming at the mouth against this or that game because "he's not totally wrong." 😂

This went under my rader for some reason, digging the Capcom / Clover vibes. My physical copy arrives tomorrow!
Post impressions in the OT. There's at least 4 of us.

Last edited:
Got this on the PSN Summer Sale and while it's not perfect, I think it should be celebrated, it's a proper game, didn't try and sell me anything when I loaded it up, there's no store in the menu, it can be quite difficult in places making you try and clear a section a couple of times, it definitely is PS2/early 360/PS3 era and Arcade in it's inspiration, but it's also fun and reminds me why I started playing games in the first place.

I'm sorry, but the game is fun on easy.
Knowing there's an easy mode makes me more interested, I'm sorry but jank can be fun but if you're going to do the Dark Souls thing, you've got to actually be really good.

I love the vibe this game is going for but it doesn't sound worth putting up with frustration, mainly it just makes me wish DOA Code Chronos had happened and that the Itagaki/Team Ninja split never happened.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Devil's Third is solid. I think most people never even tried it.
Oh dude, we know most people haven't tried it and are talking out of their ass when trashing the game. Shit had like maybe 10k physical copies pressed and then was digitally locked to the WiiU eShop. Now it's gone for all time in a legit manner.

OT, I really need to get Wanted: Dead. I was watching the noisy pixel review the other week and it looks so similar to Devils Third to me, I think that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Oh dude, we know most people haven't tried it and are talking out of their ass when trashing the game. Shit had like maybe 10k physical copies pressed and then was digitally locked to the WiiU eShop. Now it's gone for all time in a legit manner.

OT, I really need to get Wanted: Dead. I was watching the noisy pixel review the other week and it looks so similar to Devils Third to me, I think that's a good thing.
Yep, if you liked Devil's Third don't even hesitate. There's also an OT for the game I posted in a bunch.

It's the same team as DT. The director was the combat director on Ninja Gaiden 2.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I finally picked this up on the current PSN sale for a decent price and I'm having a blast with it so far.

Yeah, it does look like a PS3 game that somehow got put on a shelf for 10 years until someone finally decided to pick it up for distribution, but I honestly fail to see how is this supposed to be such a huge point of contention for so many people that they had to review bomb it into 50-something metacritic score. Maybe I'd understand this criticism more if it was a triple-A game but even at full price this is still significantly cheaper than actual triple-A releases. It's clearly a mid-shelf game and the visuals are reflective of that. But at the end of the day, what really matters is the gameplay and in the case of this game it's fucking awesome.

Idk, maybe the reason why it wasn't so warmly received is because it's not the kind of game where you can just mash buttons and enjoy the spectacle, and you really need to manage your resources and be more strategic and precise about the combat, but that's exactly what I love about it. It's a skill-based game, and it's also a pretty unique blend of cover shooting and combo-based melee combat that I've rarely experienced in other video games.

I also love the character design for the main heroine. She's a bae.

maxresdefault.jpg

Them mom jeans...

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I finally picked this up on the current PSN sale for a decent price and I'm having a blast with it so far.

Yeah, it does look like a PS3 game that somehow got put on a shelf for 10 years until someone finally decided to pick it up for distribution, but I honestly fail to see how is this supposed to be such a huge point of contention for so many people that they had to review bomb it into 50-something metacritic score. Maybe I'd understand this criticism more if it was a triple-A game but even at full price this is still significantly cheaper than actual triple-A releases. It's clearly a mid-shelf game and the visuals are reflective of that. But at the end of the day, what really matters is the gameplay and in the case of this game it's fucking awesome.

Idk, maybe the reason why it wasn't so warmly received is because it's not the kind of game where you can just mash buttons and enjoy the spectacle, and you really need to manage your resources and be more strategic and precise about the combat, but that's exactly what I love about it. It's a skill-based game, and it's also a pretty unique blend of cover shooting and combo-based melee combat that I've rarely experienced in other video games.

I also love the character design for the main heroine. She's a bae.

maxresdefault.jpg

Them mom jeans...
I got to that first boss (ninja guy) and died at least a dozen times.....likely more. The checkpoint wasn't friendly and had to clear out the whole area before hitting that boss again. Die, repeat. Die repeat. The game asks you if you want to switch to easy (or baby mode...or something) in which your character would have to wear cat ears the rest of the game. I didn't want to do that, so I gave up.

Games shouldn't be that stupid.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I got to that first boss (ninja guy) and died at least a dozen times.....likely more. The checkpoint wasn't friendly and had to clear out the whole area before hitting that boss again. Die, repeat. Die repeat. The game asks you if you want to switch to easy (or baby mode...or something) in which your character would have to wear cat ears the rest of the game. I didn't want to do that, so I gave up.

Well then maybe you should git gud because I kicked that guy's ass on my second try.

That guy is a normal enemy, not a boss. But he is the most difficult enemy type in the game and it is kind of odd placement to put him right at the beginning especially since there are 2 tiers of ninja enemies below him they skipped over lol. It's a little odd. I am not surprised people have problems with it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Is this this gens Devil's Third? That's all I think about whenever I see this game brought up.

I kinda want to check it out

Virex

Banned
I also still can't get the platinum trophy. One trophy is bugged and they are going fix it with the "PATCH" they announced in "March". It's not happening so I guess no platinum for me for Devil's Third. It's scummy that they put the game on sale as well, knowing it still has a lot of problems that will never be fixed.

Last edited:
I also still can't get the platinum trophy. One trophy is bugged and they are going fix it with the "PATCH" they announced in "March". It's not happening so I guess no platinum for me for Devil's Third. It's scummy that they put the game on sale as well, knowing it still has a lot of problems that will never be fixed.
You actually got through the mini-games? I gave up on those trophies but got all the others.

Virex

Banned
You actually got through the mini-games? I gave up on those trophies but got all the others.
Yes I did. The ramen one was simply once you figure out you can just skip the "hold button and press other buttons along with it". Karaoke was pretty simply and the Space Runaway one was difficult. But I just persisted.

The bugged trophy is the "All Finishers" one. Doesn't unlock and the devs have been "working on a patch" since March. The game has a lot of random crashes for no reason on PS5 as well. The patch is never coming and I'll never buy one of their releases again. Personally I hope they go out of business.

But I enjoyed the game. I also enjoyed Devil's Third on WiiU which was kind of shit but it had a certain fun aspect to it. Plus Devil's Third was fucking funny(not sure if intended) and batshit crazy at times.

Yes I did. The ramen one was simply once you figure out you can just skip the "hold button and press other buttons along with it". Karaoke was pretty simply and the Space Runaway one was difficult. But I just persisted.

The bugged trophy is the "All Finishers" one. Doesn't unlock and the devs have been "working on a patch" since March. The game has a lot of random crashes for no reason on PS5 as well. The patch is never coming and I'll never buy one of their releases again. Personally I hope they go out of business.

But I enjoyed the game. I also enjoyed Devil's Third on WiiU which was kind of shit but it had a certain fun aspect to it. Plus Devil's Third was fucking funny(not sure if intended) and batshit crazy at times.
Yeah, I heard about the bugged trophy. That is a huge bummer after all that effort. Well you're definitely a badass, that's for sure. I didn't get even close on the mini-games, and I play rhythm games a lot as you could guess from my username. Got humiliated.

Bry0

According discord they said they are still working on a patch as of a few days ago. I wonder if instead of smaller patches they just want to go bigger and only have to go through paying for certification once. The way they are talking it sounds like it should be meaty but who knows.

According discord they said they are still working on a patch as of a few days ago. I wonder if instead of smaller patches they just want to go bigger and only have to go through paying for certification once. The way they are talking it sounds like it should be meaty but who knows.
That's been my hope actually. Their twitter account said a month back or so to buy the game on sale "to be ready for what's coming." I didn't bother hyping people up here on it since I have no clue what that means, but I interpreted it as you did.

Virex

Banned
Yeah, I heard about the bugged trophy. That is a huge bummer after all that effort. Well you're definitely a badass, that's for sure. I didn't get even close on the mini-games, and I play rhythm games a lot as you could guess from my username. Got humiliated.
Yeah the mini games are kind of meh. And they have input lag, at first I thought it was my TV, but it's always in Game Optimiser mode (LG TV), so I tried it on my PC monitor and same issue. I think that's what makes them more difficult than they used to be.

Atomic Heart was also a nightmare with trophies. Luckily the devs fixed the issues. Because in Atomic Heart the "Necromancer" trophy never unlocked for me. But after the recent patch I replayed the game again and got the trophy. I sort of speed ran it and spoke to all the "dead". Luckily Atomic Heart was fun enough for me to replay it for the plat.

But as of late I see a lot more games releasing with broken trophies or PS4/PS5 and Achievements on Xbox and Steam which is quite worrying because I like trophies and achievements. The same trophy for Devil's Third is bugged on PC as well.

Last edited:
Yeah the mini games are kind of meh. And they have input lag, at first I thought it was my TV, but it's always in Game Optimiser mode (LG TV), so I tried it on my PC monitor and same issue. I think that's what makes them more difficult than they used to be.

Atomic Heart was also a nightmare with trophies. Luckily the devs fixed the issues. Because in Atomic Heart the "Necromancer" trophy never unlocked for me. But after the recent patch I replayed the game again and got the trophy. I sorted of speed ran it and spoke to all the "dead". Luckily Atomic Heart was fun enough for me to replay it for the plat.

But as of late I see a lot more games releasing with broken trophies or PS4/PS5 and Achievements on Xbox and Steam which is quite worrying because I like trophies and achievements. The same trophy for Devil's Third is bugged on PC as well.
I was 1 trophy away from 1000 on The Ascent as well but it was bugged, and they did fix it supposedly but didn't work for me. It's a bummer but I just try to not care that much about achievements these days.

Top Bottom