• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate Daemonhunters - Official Cinematic Trailer

A spiritual successor of Space Marine (the action one) with the grey knights would be so awesome 😭. But as always, turn based time!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the first developer diary for Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters. In this gameplay overview, creative director Noah Decter-Jackson and the development team at Complex Games give us a deep dive into what Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is about, the game's systems, who the Grey Knights are, and more.

Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate Daemonhunters is scheduled to release in 2022 on PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store. The game is available to wishlist now.

stranno

the-emperor-protects-every-once-in-a-while.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the latest trailer for Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters for a look at four advanced classes of the Grey Knights, including Paladin, Chaplain, Librarian, and Purifier. Check it out to learn more about the classes.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the latest Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters developer diary. In this gameplay overview, lead writer Aaron Dembski-Bowden, lead designer Peter Schnabl, and the development team at Complex Games give us a deep dive into The Strategium, The Grand Manufactorium, The Librus Malleus, and more. Meet the crew of the Baleful Edict, and see how Chaos Gate Daemonhunters' body part targeting system works.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is scheduled to release on May 5 2022 on PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We take our first deep-dive, hands-on look at Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, the new tactics game that asks and answers the question: "What if Warhammer merged with XCOM?" Daemonhunters will be released on May 5.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Complex Games CEO and Creative Director Noah Decter-Jackson talks you through a key story mission in Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters. It takes place on a damaged Aeldari Craftworld, where the Grey Knights and Inquisitor Kartha Vakir seek the origins of the plague (called the Bloom) that Nurgle has unleashed on the Tyrtaeus Sector. Daemonhunters will be released on May 5 for PC.

I love Warhammer 40K and I love X-COM this is a combination of both.

However once again Warhammer 40,000 (that is not Space Marine) is lacking love.

WitchHunter

finally, 20 years after Red Faction and Silent Storm, devs rediscover that destroyable environments are a good thing.

btw, fucking wh40k universe has severe armpit smell, coz they let a lot of shitty games to be published... buy da license, give us mony, fuck do we care about the quality

lets hope pedersen survives the corporate retardation rituals and brings us more Astartes like material

I also hope we'll have more than 3 weapons.

zzzzzz until proven

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When it comes to model war games, non are bigger than Warhammer 40,000. With such a long legacy we are now treated to the latest digital slice of tactical warfare in Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters. Check out the first 20 minutes of hellfire gameplay on PC.

Croga

Game is out, installing this right now.

As someone with probably over 500+ hours worth of the recent XCOM games played, this game is right up my street.

I've stayed on media blackout for this one so as to not be spoiled and go in as blind as possible, but I did listen to the ACG review above (great review btw) to make sure the game wasn't trash lol.

Review was enough for me to be sold that the devs have done XCOM + 40k justice.

I cannot wait to get stuck into this with a blind playthrough.

SJRB

Gold Member
Watching Dansgaming play this right now and it seems surprisingly good! It's basically 40k X-Com.

I'm so happy this didn't turn out to be a dud like pretty much all the other indie titles on my wishlist releasing this week.

Bragr

Banned
I honestly think 40K is the best fantasy universe period, you can write 20 thousand books about the lore and it all will be relevant.

This looks fine, but there are a massive amount of 40K games, and only a handful is good. Makes me hesitant.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game is ugly as shit though, sheesh. Graphics are mediocre at best. And that UI, ooofffffff. Terrible.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I honestly think 40K is the best fantasy universe period, you can write 20 thousand books about the lore and it all will be relevant.

This looks fine, but there are a massive amount of 40K games, and only a handful is good. Makes me hesitant.

Personally I prefer classic Warhammer Fantasy to 40k, but both are amazing.

Age of Sigmar on teh other hand... Games Workshop needs to fix that immediately. Give me back my Tomb Kings!

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Put in about 7 hours into the game so far. Playing on the second hardest difficulty. I am absolutely having a blast! Being able to knock down pillars, smash in some pestilence ridden skulls, and lob grenades in fantastical chain explosions - I feel like an unstoppable Threat, but one bad move leads to my entire team getting wiped. The risk and reward gameplay is fantastic. As good as Mechanicus was.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the action-packed Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters launch trailer. Get another look at the new Warhammer 40K game, including some of the Grey Knights' weapons, armor, enemies, and some exciting Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters gameplay that gives us a peek at the combat.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is available now on PC.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone playing this?

Steam reviews are "mixed" at the moment, but pretty much all negative reviews are because of [apparently] abysmal performance.

Not sure if I should drop 45 euros on this right now.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters Reviewed on PC by Leana Hafer.

Most of the time I spent with Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters, I was having a literal blast plotting how to turn the tide of a seemingly impossible battle with my trusty squad of veteran, psychic space paladins by chaining together just the right moves in just the right order. On the other hand, there were moments when it stacked the odds so high by trying to cram more enemies onto the screen that I felt absolutely exasperated, and wished it came up with more clever and less annoying ways to challenge me instead. But that complex, sometimes too-punishing campaign is supercharged by endearingly over-the-top, gothic bridge officers and a story that never runs out of new wrenches to throw into your plans. It's one of the best XCOM-likes out there. And if there were a hall of fame for 40K games that really understood the setting and did something thematically appropriate and exciting with it, Daemonhunters would certainly belong there.

Croga

Loving this! Game is very tough, but fair imo.

I got extremely lucky early on with a Tier 1 Psilencer mission reward with an "ignore armor" passive skill for my Purgator to use.

With range upgrades it can shoot at 14 tile ranges, so he is essentially a sniper with a massive cannon! When enemy tanks started rolling out with low base health numbers but shedloads of armor, this thing was a godsend.
With Astral Aim (for guaranteed crit) and crit damage upgrades you can just bypass all armor and one shot a tank.

Haven't put it down since I got it last week, really scratching the XCOM itch for me seeing as Firaxis seem to have forgotten to give us XCOM 3 lol

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I bought it. Will play it on easy since normal is apparently hard.

When I saw an autorifle from some cultist take off 1/6 of my grey knights overall health with a single burst on a mission where I need to melle an explosive enemy to death who then plagues me in the middle of a squad of 8 of them, I knew immediately that normal was too hard for me.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Very interested in this. How does this compare to Xcom? I like X-com but hate the RNG and tedious time between battles.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Very interested in this. How does this compare to Xcom? I like X-com but hate the RNG and tedious time between battles.

I think Croga put it best above, "hard but fair" essentially if a space marine can see a target and his weapon has range, it will hit. The only RNG mechanics are some defensive options like 50% to block a melle attack or 25% chance to take a swing at melle range if an enemy moves past you on there turn.

If they are infront of you and you have the range, you will hit. So if you have that 1% point blank range shotguns miss that happened all the time in Xcom, you will NEVER see that here.

The dev's explained it via lore, trained super soldiers know how to handle their weapon, they don't miss and these are Grey Knights, they are the Space Marines of Space Marines...

Last edited:

chixdiggit

I think Croga put it best above, "hard but fair" essentially if a space marine can see a target and his weapon has range, it will hit. The only RNG mechanics are some defensive options like 50% to block a melle attack or 25% chance to take a swing at melle range if an enemy moves past you on there turn.

If they are infront of you and you have the range, you will hit. So if you have that 1% point blank range shotguns miss that happened all the time in Xcom, you will NEVER see that here.

The dev's explained it via lore, trained super soldiers know how to handle their weapon, they don't miss and these are Grey Knights, they are the Space Marines of Space Marines...
Hell yeah. That sounds great.

Croga

They just patched the game and actually nerfed abilities. Skills that were core to my squad have been nerfed into oblivion.

Some examples:
my big "spellcaster" Librarian skill that was an aoe that gave decent stun? Yeah that's not an aoe anymore, single target now.

My Justicar skill that could give AP to another unit that I literally built him around? Yeah that costs twice as much willpower to use now.

The list goes on, I'm actually pretty surprised that for a game that the vast majority thinks is pretty tough, then went ahead and nerfed key abilities and made it even harder lol.

So anyone thinking it was tough before, yeah it just got even tougher.

They didn't even list half the changes in their own patch notes, people finding nerfs as they play, so it's a bit crazy tbh, and getting a LOT of feedback right now on the Steam forums.

I'll be interested to see how the devs respond.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
They just patched the game and actually nerfed abilities. Skills that were core to my squad have been nerfed into oblivion.

Some examples:
my big "spellcaster" Librarian skill that was an aoe that gave decent stun? Yeah that's not an aoe anymore, single target now.

My Justicar skill that could give AP to another unit that I literally built him around? Yeah that costs twice as much willpower to use now.

The list goes on, I'm actually pretty surprised that for a game that the vast majority thinks is pretty tough, then went ahead and nerfed key abilities and made it even harder lol.

So anyone thinking it was tough before, yeah it just got even tougher.

They didn't even list half the changes in their own patch notes, people finding nerfs as they play, so it's a bit crazy tbh, and getting a LOT of feedback right now on the Steam forums.

I'll be interested to see how the devs respond.

I am kind of glad with the nerfs. The game I found to be increasingly easy when you use the overpowered ability combos. The strength of the game relies in getting that 'AHA!" moment and barely surviving a battle. But after 20 hours into the game, I was winning quite handedly with minimal damage battle after battle.

whiskeyjack-YT

Neo Member
Anyone playing this?

Steam reviews are "mixed" at the moment, but pretty much all negative reviews are because of [apparently] abysmal performance.

Not sure if I should drop 45 euros on this right now.

If you're not a tactics game nut I'd recommend waiting for a sale.

That said, it is good. It has some problems but it does more things right than it fails with. This is a great deal more like Gears Tactics than it is XCOM, and that rocks.

Speaking about what I like and what I don't like:

Croga

I am kind of glad with the nerfs. The game I found to be increasingly easy when you use the overpowered ability combos. The strength of the game relies in getting that 'AHA!" moment and barely surviving a battle. But after 20 hours into the game, I was winning quite handedly with minimal damage battle after battle.

Oh for sure the game is quite easy when running a squad abusing the execute / stun mechanics and refunding shedloads of AP and WP through kills.

I just found it a tad annoying when my strategy had been nerfed, the stun values increased and my whole squad then needed to be changed up a bit.
If they even gave us a few limited respecs in lieu of the patch changes that would have been fine for me as well (especially considering how respec works in this game, I refuse to intentionally kill off units to be able to respec)

I've since moved past it and am rolling with a different squad loadout now anyways and still enjoying the game. I do miss the "smash everything to bits in a few turns of melee" tactics though lol

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters is a truly brutal game worthy of the grim darkness of Warhammer 40K. Even if you're used to similar tactical combat classics like XCOM, you may be shocked just how much pain and suffering it can throw at you - so here are some powerful tips and stratagems to give you the upper hand when banishing the fell monsters of the Warp back whence they came.

00:00 - Intro
00:43 - Recommended Chaos Gate beginner difficulty
00: 51 - Standard Difficulty (vs Merciful vs Ruthless vs Legendary)
01:08 - Common early pitfalls
01:41 - ☆The Single Most Important Tip for Chaos Gate Demonhunters☆
02:05 - How to manage Action Points
02:33 - How to get a free "surprise round" in Daemonhunters
02:54 - Why you should avoid separating your units
03:21 - How to use Overwatch
03:43 - Best tactics for melee and ranged enemies
03:53 - How to deal with Bloomspawn
04:04 - How to avoid being overwhelmed
04:22 - When not to grind for bonus XP
04:47 - Focus on plague spreaders & carriers
05:16 - How to avoid combat in Seed Carrier missions
05:26 - How to build Tanks for Chaos Gate Daemonhunter classes
05:56 - Armor damage VS Injury recovery
06:23 - ☆What ship upgrades to get first (Baleful Edict upgrade list)☆
07:39 - Why to avoid Chaos Gate missions
08:35 - How to bank Requisition credits
09:11 - Never forget this general Chaos Gate Daemonhunters strategy
09:19 - In closing...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the exciting reveal trailer for Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal, a new DLC coming to PC (via Steam and Epic Games Store) on December 6. This major expansion for the turn-based tactical RPG adds the new Techmarine class, new missions, and the Venerable Dreadnought combat walker to the game's campaign. Following the arrival of a new strain of the Bloom, the Grey Knights must help the Adeptus Mechanicus to stop it spreading across space in the challenging new Technophage Outbreak mission. The DLC requires the base game to play.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Experience thrilling new missions, powerful additional classes, and all-new ways to decimate the forces of Nurgle in the first major DLC for the critically-acclaimed tactical turn-based RPG.

Out now!

Okay, this is definitely one of the better Warhammer 40,000 games but why in the hell after a year does it still have Denuvo?

Come on already.

VN1X

Banned
I would like to take this bump as an opportunity to say that I'm very much enjoying Mechanicus atm. It's very simple but I don't mind that. XCOM lite basically.

I would like to take this bump as an opportunity to say that I'm very much enjoying Mechanicus atm. It's very simple but I don't mind that. XCOM lite basically.
Chaos Gate is XCOM-like as well.

I have Mechanicus on GOG. I just wish Daemonhunters - Chaos Gate was there as well, DRM free.

Top Bottom