• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2 - Reveal Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

I really hope this is going to be different from the original Relic sequel ideas / concepts cause that had …. Were not great lets keep it at that, and by the looks of it they’ll be skipping those ideas if he went through Deathwatch

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
For anyone trying to get into Warhammer 40k Lore but not sure where to even start, may i suggest this channel to you.

It's probably the best 40k lore channel out there and goes real deep.

This'll be a good start, so you know what the Imperium of Man even is.

PS: As a huge 40k nerd i'm in there day 1.

I discovered Luetin earlier this year when I was curious about 40k lore. I became absolutely hooked on his content. So much so that now I have around 20 official Black Library audiobooks on the Horus Heresy from recent Humble Bundles.

I had absolutely no idea what was going on in the first game 10 years ago, but now I'm going to play that one again and I'm quite excited about this upcoming sequel. More so now that I actually have an idea of what the hell is going on and what things mean.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I like what I saw but I’m not familiar of this series is it a 1st person shooter,an online shooter,strategy?
Imagine Gears of War, but instead of taking cover you go head on and use both melee and shooting to mow down large numbers of enemies.

It also has a glory kill system ala DOOM, but here you can get damaged while you execute it so you have to think before using it.

The slogan of the game was something like "cover is for the weak". It's a kinda average but very fun game.

Imagine Gears of War, but instead of taking cover you go head on and use both melee and shooting to mow down large numbers of enemies.

It also has a glory kill system ala DOOM, but here you can get damaged while you execute it so you have to think before using it.

The slogan of the game was something like "cover is for the weak". It's a kinda average but very fun game.
Cool thanks .

Airbus Jr

Banned
Serious question see lot of poster around asking theres nothing from this show

Are they not looking at this i mean ffs wth are they watching

Last edited:
Thought nothing of it when the original was updated to the anniversary edition on Steam a few months ago, but I guess dreams can come true

VN1X

Banned
Serious question see lot of poster around asking theres nothing from this show

Are they not looking at this i mean ffs wth are they watching
A lot of entitled manbabies who have no idea how this industry works (and who are evidently also blind as I've seen people say that the new Suicide Squad is a downgrade from Arkham Knight or some shit lol).

But yeah Space Marine 2 looks great from the little gameplay snippets that they showed. I need to go back and finish the first one!

Last edited:
Hype Deflated .... a Leaf Tranny is a senior writer on this thing. Hope that person doesn't have much sway in the story. Think Dan Abnett wrote the main story for this one.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hype Deflated .... a Leaf Tranny is a senior writer on this thing. Hope that person doesn't have much sway in the story. Think Dan Abnett wrote the main story for this one.
This isn't a California made game. This is a Games Workshop property, and those people usually keep everyone involved with their licenses in a short leash.

Don't lose hope yet my man.

Concern

Never played any of the warhammer games besides vermintide 2. But this looks very good. Seems there were some good showings yesterday (still catching up with what was shown).

Bragr

Banned
Nah, 40K is all about hate and evil, racism and genocide, total slaughter of planets and nightmare aliens hellbent on killing all living things. And that's not even touching on chaos. You simply can't create a 40K game without total madness.

BlackM1st

Banned
Platinumed the 1st one. Absolutely amazing game.

I wonder how our protag got out of the prison/trial tho. That ending was a total cliffhanger and now trailer makes it look like nothing happened. That's pretty strange.

Graphics look VERY average, but eh, I accepted that we will never gonna get a proper AAA wh40k games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I actually liked to kill orks more. They have a bigger variety + they bleed.
Tyranids dont bleed or have variety?

You clearly havent faced many Tyranids...considering this is an "infantry" brawler/shooter Tyranids are sufficiently terrifying, varied....and bleed alot.
Heck just look at the trailer we are talking about.....theres a ton of blood.

TintoConCasera

You clearly havent faced many Tyranids...considering this is an "infantry" brawler/shooter Tyranids are sufficiently terrifying, varied....and bleed alot.
Only thing I'll miss is the Ork banter, but aside from that I'm all in with the nids.

Black_Stride

Only thing I'll miss is the Ork banter, but aside from that I'm all in with the nids.
Admittedly having enemies who speak ork will be missed.
Hopefully whoever backs us up most of the mission have interesting things to say.

Im still waiting to see who the second or even third faction we face are.
I cant imagine the whole game is versus Tyranids.

BlackM1st

Banned

That's not the same. Exploding ork skulls > smacking bugs.

I mean what do they have, really? Small bug, big bug, shooting bug...

Bugs doesn't have any technology = not as fun or diverse.

Frankly speaking, they are the most boring faction in the whole 40k setting. Just a wall of meat devouring everything on its way.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I didn't like how they played the Tyranids, particularly the regular ones that came off as modeled off a dog pack. It reminded me of Stranger Things season 2, which is where that show jumped the shark for me. I don't know 40k lore in detail but what I've seen Tyranids are closer to Aliens than a pack of dogs. In the Dan Abnett books you can maybe see them slink away but it would be a more tactical thing

TintoConCasera

Admittedly having enemies who speak ork will be missed.
Hopefully whoever backs us up most of the mission have interesting things to say.

Im still waiting to see who the second or even third faction we face are.
I cant imagine the whole game is versus Tyranids.
I would love if they developed more the side characters. Some side banter to give them character aside from just talking about the mission, which is what they did the most in the first one.

And yeah I'm sure we'll see more races. The webpage description states multiple planets, so hopefully some of those will have more than Tyranids.

Frankly speaking, they are the most boring faction in the whole 40k setting. Just a wall of meat devouring everything on its way.
Hey to each their own. Be it Zerg, Tyranid or those fuckers in Starship Troopers, I love my walls of meat.

Besides I'm sure there'll be more than just nids. Probably Chaos to tie it with the previous games? Although I would prefer something different.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

What do you need technology for when you can just grow whatever you need?

You say that like there was a variety of Ork warriors we faced in the first game.

Tyranids + whatever secondary race they give us in the sequel is interesting enough...Orks again even if its been a frikken decade would be a bit lazy.
A swarm race that just so happens to also have frikken intelligent space dinosaurs will make for high combo count while also giving us the opportunity to see some terrifying and imo actually more diverse and interesting creatures

TintoConCasera

They're pushing Chaos hard in the new Total War, so Chaos is a given.
Aren't the Total War games fantasy instead of 40K? Or is the Chaos faction kinda linked between the two franchises?

BlackM1st

Banned
Aren't the Total War games fantasy instead of 40K? Or is the Chaos faction kinda linked between the two franchises?
40k happens on the Galactic level.

Fantasy is on 1 planet somewhere sometimes. No direct connection story wise, but definitely in the same universe because Chaos Gods are exactly the same.

So if Gamesworkshop want to push Chaos in the latest Total War, I think it's logical if they will want to push them in here too. Besides, truth be told even without the Total War release, you can almost always expect Chaos to be involved in 40k projects. That's like 2nd most popular faction after the Space Marines.

TintoConCasera

40k happens on the Galactic level.

Fantasy is on 1 planet somewhere sometimes. No direct connection story wise, but definitely in the same universe because Chaos Gods are exactly the same.

So if Gamesworkshop want to push Chaos in the latest Total War, I think it's logical if they will want to push them in here too. Besides, truth be told even without the Total War release, you can almost always expect Chaos to be involved in 40k projects. That's like 2nd most popular faction after the Space Marines.
Ah that's cool! I didn't know they were set in the same universe.

Oh well... What can you do, time to kill some Chaos then.

1639156078267m.jpg

njean777

I didn't like how they played the Tyranids, particularly the regular ones that came off as modeled off a dog pack. It reminded me of Stranger Things season 2, which is where that show jumped the shark for me. I don't know 40k lore in detail but what I've seen Tyranids are closer to Aliens than a pack of dogs. In the Dan Abnett books you can maybe see them slink away but it would be a more tactical thing

Tyranids run/rely off of synapse, so in the trailer I can see how they backed off for a second before the Warrior motivated them. Synapse is a form of morale for tyrnaids, so if there isn't a higher bioform around the gaunts will be kind of lost and aloof. The Warriors/ hive tyrants connect more closely to the hive mind so they can control synapse range or hordes of gaunts as was shown in the trailer.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

TfpNtML.jpg
0uXizLm.jpg
e8RxBTx.jpg
9drqTNc.jpg

What tech are you looking for? Smart watches and cell phones?

Nids are varied, probably one of the most varied factions in 40k.
But they also utterly lack any semblance of personality, making them, in my opinion, pretty boring to fight in the long run. At least Necrons higher-ranking individuals can be super fun (anyone should read "The Infinte and the Divine" btw), but Tyranids? Just... bugs.

That being said, if they want to implement the same kind of multiplayer the first game had, they pretty much have to include at least one other enemy faction (unless we're all playing as 'nid Warriors or something, which I guess could work).

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

Embody the superhuman skill and brutality of a Space Marine, the greatest of the Emperor’s warriors. Unleash deadly abilities and an arsenal of devastating weaponry to obliterate the relentless Tyranid hordes.

Hold at bay the horrors of the galaxy in epic battles on far-flung planets. Uncover dark secrets and drive back the everlasting night to prove your ultimate loyalty to humanity.

Heed the call of battle.

For there is only war.

That tells me it almost certainly will not just be Tyranids.

Also I wonder what kind of MP they are planning. It could be story co-op. In the trailer they showed 2 marines with Titus. Also imagine they went the dark souls route! You can have several Marine allies and invaders could be the enemy in the area or maybe even a chaos Marine who warps in. Or maybe like RE6 where other players control the stronger units for certain sections of the game. Lots could be done to make it interesting.

Razvedka

Banned
C̷̨̢̨̛͉̼̱̰͆̈́́̔̄̇̇̋̀h̶͔̻͈̯̑̈̾̋̚͝a̴̤̫͎̘̱̟͇͎̞̖̘͙̓̏͐̾̈́́̀̍̽̈̽̕͝ơ̸̛̳͈̓̾̒͆͑̈́͗̆̏̇̚ş̸̰͎̠͕͇̱̮͕̠̍̔́͜

Top Bottom