• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Dates ‘Willy Wonka’ Prequel For 2023 With David Heyman Producing

Jethalal

Banned
‘Wonka’: Warner Bros Sets 2023 Release Of ‘Willy Wonka’ Prequel – Deadline

Warner Bros will be releasing Wonka on March 17, 2023, a prequel to Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which focuses on the candy architect Willy Wonka’s younger days before having his confection empire.

The movie has been in development for roughly four years. David Heyman was always attached as producer, and Paddington director Paul King is helming. It’s early days for this project and it won’t be shooting while UK is in lockdown. No casting yet.

Paramount released the original 1971 first Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory movie starring Gene Wilder in the title role, based on the Dahl classic. Warner Bros. had the 2005 Tim Burton remake, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, starring Johnny Depp in an uncanny Michael Jackson-like inspired turn, which amassed $475M.

There are no other wide releases date for March 17, 2023. Disney is holding March 10 of that year for an untitled live action movie. Universal and 20th Century Studios both have RSVP’ed March 24 with untitled event movies.
So, anyone excited for this? Did you like the previous 2 movies?

Cravis

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Jethalal

Banned
I liked the first from the 70's, which was a pretty loose adaptation. I did not like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which they made to be more faithful to the book insofar as events, descriptions of characters, and the setting - but it was dumb in execution to me.
I liked the 2005 one as I was very young when that came out so there is a sense of nostalgia to it for me. I watched the old one much later and I liked that too, it had it's charm and Gene Wilder is ofcourse an amazing actor. I don't think this movie is necessary at all, but if it is good, I'm game.

Dark Star

I liked the Johnny Depp/Tim Burton one, honestly, it has it's own charm. The casting and writing and everything is pretty slick. It's was also wayyyy less creepy that the original. Those OG oompa loompas are a thing of nightmares, just scary looking.

This "prequel" sounds like a bad, half baked idea IMO. The whole point of Willy Wonka is the chocolate factory lol. What kind of boring movie is this going to be? Teenage Willy just running around town being a weirdo inventor trying to sell candy on the streets? I mean, the Tim Burton movie showed PLENTY of backstory and flashbacks that were just fine. This seems unnecessary.

Last edited:
Is the sequel any good? It wasn't available at my school library and now I doubt I would like it as I feel I've outgrown those books.
It's a children's book, but I remember liking it when I read it as a kid.

If the first book is "bizarre adventure in a fantasy candy-factory", then Glass Elevator would be "bizarre adventure in outer space". Spoiler alert: Charlie's grandparents transform into babies.

Jethalal

Banned
I liked the Johnny Depp/Tim Burton one, honestly, it has it's own charm. The casting and writing and everything is pretty slick. It's was also wayyyy less creepy that the original. those OG oompa loompas are a thing of nightmares, just scary looking.

This "prequel" sounds like a bad, half baked idea IMO. The whole point of willy wonka is the chocolate factory lol. what kind of boring movie is this going to be? him just running around being a weirdo trying to sell candy on the streets? haha
I haven't read the book but in the Depp one, it was mentioned he travelled around the globe so maybe they can show his adventures from that time.

Jethalal

Banned
Per Collider:

New Willy Wonka Movie Lands Release Date; Young Stars Eyed for Role (collider.com)

Back in 2018, Collider reported that Ryan Gosling, Donald Glover and Ezra Miller were being eyed to star, but those names have all fallen by the wayside since then. Lately, sources say that Warners has its eye on either Tom Holland or Timothée Chalamet to play the eccentric confectioner.
Holland is currently 24 years old, while Chalamet just turned 25, and not only will they be competing for roles for years to come, but they are two of Hollywood's most recognizable and talented leading men under 30. While it's unclear whether Holland or Chalamet are actively pursuing this part, it's easy to see Chalamet as a younger version of Johnny Depp's take on Wonka, whereas Holland is more of a song-and-dance man in the vein of a young Gene Wilder. To be clear, neither has been offered the role of Wonka -- but let's be honest, there are only so many young actors Warner Bros. would agree to finance this film with, as I'd imagine they want it to spark a franchise.
Tom Holland or Timothee Chalamet being eyed for the role. Which one do you prefer? Personally I think they both can do an amazing job.

dr_octagon

Banned
I would like a modern day version thriller.

William Bichael Wonkerson is a hipster selling ethically sourced chocolate. He is accused of being racist, due to a recent instagram promotion leading to all the golden tickets going to whites. His livelihood is ruined due to cancel candy trending as a hashtag.

He begins a journey avenging those who ruined his name and left him destitute. A series of brutal murders follows with the first victim found drowed in chocolate. Detectives Reese and Kraft are tasked to catching the cocoa killer.

Top Bottom