• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Discovery's Max to begin password-sharing crackdown later this year

Draugoth

Gold Member
hbo-max-apple-tv.jpeg

HBO will soon join the likes of Netflix and Disney+ in cracking down on password sharing. According to a new report from Bloomberg, Max is planning to begin rolling out new anti-password sharing features later this year as it looks turn make its streaming business profitable.

The report says that Warner Bros. Discovery plans to fully launch its password sharing crackdown in 2025. The changes will come to Max, the streaming service that combined HBO Max and Discovery+ into a single service last year.

Max will expand into new markets, including France, Latin America and Australia in the next 18 months. It will also take a page from Netflix by cracking down on password sharing. That initiative begins later this year and will roll out across 2025.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I would like to see just how many of those people who can no longer mooch actually sign up. I'm sure these companies have internal numbers. And that the CFOs put their fingers on the scale to report out to the shareholders that it's more significant than it is.

Bridges

Coincidentally cancelled my sub a few days ago. Probably the best content of any of the services atm but every single one of these streaming subs keeps raising prices and worsening their offerings.

Puscifer

I would like to see just how many of those people who can no longer mooch actually sign up. I'm sure these companies have internal numbers. And that the CFOs put their fingers on the scale to report out to the shareholders that it's more significant than it is.
I don't even mooch, I go half with a friend for the Hulu/Max/Disney plan and I can honestly say doing this kills me subscribing to any individual because 10 years ago at one point in time 12 dollars got m HBO with on demand on basic cable and I pay 20 just going half.

I can't imagine doing anything at this point once they do. I can buy all the shows I've been rewatching anyway and just be done with all this.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m not sure but Netflix had some comments about this and apparently it was a noticeable difference. Not sure what the numbers were.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yh been using my brothers spectrum password for the last ten years, no more 4k.

I’m ok with it. I rent and buy stuff on vudu or just go watch stuff in theaters.

Cyberpunkd

How it should go: raising prices and less attractive offering will make people reevaluate their relationship with entertainment and possibly focus their time and energy on more worthy endeavours.

How it will go: people will subscribe to continue to watch thrash.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I was one of the few that binned off netflix and disney with the last lot of price increases.

It’s not ‘yay go me’ I’m just one of those that won’t watch any old shit just because I have a sub. It’s a bit like game subs 90% of the stuff say on game pass / PS+ just doesn’t interest me and never going to try it just because it’s there kind of thing (but PS+ Extra will be going this year when it ends but GP I don’t pay for so don’t care)

Top Bottom