• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning - Wii U console *could* die by itself if not used

supernova8

Banned

console *could* die by itself if not used​

Nice try Nintendo but someone already beat you to it

iby0LnT.jpg

Ulysses 31

I think the Wii is the best way to play Wii games. What games are there?
Best way as in getting the best picture, the internal conversion/upscaling to HDMI of the Wii U is better than the component/composite signal the Wii sends out. With an mClassic(dongle > cable) you can improve the picture even more.

Here's what an mClassic can do with 480p content(diminishing returns the higher the res of the source)

mclassic.jpg

As for worthwhile Wii exclusive games, surely you can you can put in some work of looking that up yourself since that's very subjective.

Last edited:

Doczu

Best way as in getting the best picture, the internal conversion/upscaling to HDMI of the Wii U is better than the component/composite signal the Wii sends out. With an mClassic(dongle > cable) you can improve the picture even more.

Here's what an mClassic can do with 480p content(diminishing returns the higher the res of the source)

mclassic.jpg

As for worthwhile Wii exclusive games, surely you can you can put in some work of looking that up yourself since that's very subjective.

That said the Wii U has no native 240p output so it's not perfect to VC (and old ass emulation) enthusiasts.

I'm hoping that one day Woolly World and XCX will be ported to Switch and therefore I will no longer have to worry about ever wanting to plug it in again, and risk this issue happening. I long for these ports with every Direct that comes and goes...

If not, well, I'm glad to see that Wii U emulation seems to be pretty good at this stage. So that's always an option, I suppose.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Problem is obviously not widespread.
Also unless you modded the console or still need to play Xenoblade X, who still plays on it?
It's not widespread but your second argument is retarded.. Or I guess I should say idiotic so that no one is offended... Why should stuff you paid a lot of money for just crap out.. Planned obsolescence is a terrible problem.

Ulysses 31

That said the Wii U has no native 240p output so it's not perfect to VC (and old ass emulation) enthusiasts.
While true, I assume the 480p output of the Wii U does a relatively good job of upscaling the 240p source like a line doubler would without adding processing that softens the image too much. Unless the VC does things which it really shouldn't... 👀

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Pulled out both my Wii Us and both consoles and gamepads are fine thankfully. Played a little NES remix to optest.

mclassic.jpg

mClassic is OKAY on a budget. A dedicated upscaler like the retrotink 5x pro gives you much, much better results.

Kadve

It's not widespread but your second argument is retarded.. Or I guess I should say idiotic so that no one is offended... Why should stuff you paid a lot of money for just crap out.. Planned obsolescence is a terrible problem.
Its not planned obsolesce. Just a software issue that slipped past QA as mentioned in my last post and its only affecting a certain % of consoles (not counting age induced flash failure in general). Don't know which model OP has but i bet it's one of those problematic 32GB Samsung chip ones.

Last edited:

Scotty W

I was thinking of putting my Saturn away and getting my Wii U out so I could play Donkey Kong (true 3d). More I am worried.

Makes me want to fire up Starfox this weekend.

Is this game good? I have it sitting in a box here, should I take it out and make my purchase worthwhile?

Kadve

Last edited:

BlackTron

I have a launch 32GB Wii U that I just plugged in a few weeks ago after a long hiatus. Glad it still works...had to fix a control stick.

I'd like to keep it, now I'm nervous. I now regret selling my Virtual Boy many years ago. Weird and distinct pieces of Nintendo history. The console is a big Frankenstein mess but it stands out with a few things that only work on the system, like Nintendo Land with that Luigi's Mansion minigame. But there isn't really enough there to make it worth trying to fix something like this. Truly their most cursed console.

Edit: At least the Gamepad might have some interesting utility for PC use even if its mothership is destroyed?

Last edited:
Is this game good? I have it sitting in a box here, should I take it out and make my purchase worthwhile?
I really liked parts of it. If you're a fan of gyro controls like Splatoon, it feels great to pilot the ship and freely aim anywhere you want without having to point the ship's nose where you're firing. You can fly and fire independently. The dual screen aiming is pretty much unique to this game and not done anywhere else quite the same. The 3D dogfights are pretty intense at times, and you have to really be aware of your surroundings in 3D, and then look at the controller to land shots. The ship also transforms.

And there's a whole extra game as well, Starfox Guard, that I enjoyed several years ago.

Downsides are the story and general level design mostly being a retread of previous games. But if you're open to trying a new control scheme that feels unique, it's a cool experience. I haven't played it for several years, but it's a Platinum Game, and Miyamoto was involved. Worth a try if you own it I'd say. Some people absolutely hate it, so I guess it's divisive.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

mClassic is OKAY on a budget. A dedicated upscaler like the retrotink 5x pro gives you much, much better results.
I agree it's ok on it's own but in combination with other things it can start to shine. I will be trying it out with a Retrotink 5x upscaling to 480p and using an mClassic on that output.

I managed to obtain a Retrotink 5x but good luck getting one of those at MRSP.

An OSSC can do the job too once you've tweaked the settings and more available and affordable but not so good for 1080i/480i content unless you just use passthrough for those.

Last edited:

Kadve

This is awful for historical preservation.
People laughed at me for pointing out how you physically cant replace the internal SSD of the XSX and PS5 (you can do it on the XBX, but each SSD is locked to a specific console and refuses to boot with any other). Meaning that by the time those would fail no one would be using those consoles. The Wii U is "only" 11 years old and eMMC has a much longer expected life time than the 3D TLC used in those!

lachesis

My original Wii died off with similar memory issue long time ago. It would suck if it happens to my launch Wii U. Still plugged in, but haven’t turned it on for a while…

• Empathy
Reactions: TLZ

Tams

Gold Member
Judging by how nonchalant, ignorant, and now shocked many people are when it does fail; in a few years there are going to be a lot of people with SSDs that just kick the bucket.

eMMC is the worst* for this as it has pretty poor durability and is embedded so can write the device off for most people (who aren't going to solder on a new chip), but even for more durable solid state drives it's an issue. User replaceable ones will only require a new drive, but soldered ones are going to be a right pain. And with the industry even moving the 'pro' models largely to TLC and the consumer ones to QLC, the failures are going to happen sooner.

*It has improved a lot, but from the time of the Wii U it wasn't great.

Last edited:
Wish I could buy Mario Galaxy 1&2 for the switch. I think those are the only games I might want to boot up on the Wii U.

Quasicat

My launch Wii U still mostly works, but after not using it for a couple of days it gives a false startup. The screen is blank but the disc drive works and the controllers try to connect, but can’t. It takes a forced restart to get it to startup properly.
I know it’s on its last leg which is why I hacked it to get my purchased software off of it before it dies. I know the Steam Deck can emulate the stuff I get off of it and I’ve purchased what has been rereleased on Switch. My big games I want that cannot play on Switch are Wind Waker HD, Rhythm Heaven Fever, and Kirby’s Epic Yarn. I really need to save up for a Steam Deck. ☺️

dave_d

Damn, and I just bought Devil's Third for it. Hope my 8GB (with attached hard drive) keep running until I get around to playing it.

Reactions: TLZ

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Well my boys are too young to game, but that's the reason i still hold on to my Wii U.

So gonna dump my nand tonight just to be safe.

Do you need to hack it to dump your nand? I guess yes?

I hacked my Wii it was a fun project but I never really used it, so I would prefer to keep my Wii U unhacked.

gundalf

Another issue is that the WiiU Gamepad doesn't have a turn off mode, so for long term storage you need to remove it to prevent a deep discharge state.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Unless I play a Zelda game (Majoras mask, skyward sword hd, tp hd, wind waker, botw) I’m probably not playing the Wii U.

You can do so much more with the Wii U gamepad because of the second screen, it's an aspect that makes the Wii U so deadly.

07.jpg

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I do love the smell of good ole nintendo engineering in tbe morning

With that being said ive been meaning to pick up a wii/wii u lately, specially because emulating without the gamepad/nunchuk can be a bit of a pain

Doczu

Do you need to hack it to dump your nand? I guess yes?

I hacked my Wii it was a fun project but I never really used it, so I would prefer to keep my Wii U unhacked.
Yes, you need to do it. I'm pretty sure i even made a backup of my nand, but that was years ago and can't remember.

Hacking does make it an ultimate Nintendo emulation machine. I did it just to rip my Gamecibe collection and play Eternal Darkness on the GamePad in bed. Worth it. No analog trigger support, unless you own the SSB adapter.

Thebonehead

Banned
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

The shame of not being used is too much for the poor Wii U and it turns to the only honourable thing it has left

Suicide Samurai GIF

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yes, you need to do it. I'm pretty sure i even made a backup of my nand, but that was years ago and can't remember.

Hacking does make it an ultimate Nintendo emulation machine. I did it just to rip my Gamecibe collection and play Eternal Darkness on the GamePad in bed. Worth it. No analog trigger support, unless you own the SSB adapter.

Ya but ultimately a good PC will play all these games with even more options like shaders etc.

Tams

Gold Member
Remove what, the battery?

Yes, there's hatch a on the back. You need a screwdriver, but it is easy to access.

I have the official larger battery and they even included the right screwdriver with it.

I do love the smell of good ole nintendo engineering in tbe morning

With that being said ive been meaning to pick up a wii/wii u lately, specially because emulating without the gamepad/nunchuk can be a bit of a pain

Well, this is really Samsung's fault for shipping a bad batch of memory.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a physical gadget, so there's always a chance it'll die.

My bro back in the day bought a 386 PC somewhere around 1990 or 91 I think. Used it for years until he upgraded to a Pentium in the mid 90s. One day we decided to boot it up for kicks in the early 2000s. The monitor turned on but the PC crashed with a bunch of DOS looking gibberish when booting up. Probably hadn't touched it in 5-6 years. He assumed the motherboard died.

peronmls

It's a Nintendo safety protocol to make sure their fans move onto the switch and rebuy their fave Wii U games 😉
This is actually what Apple does to its older phones. Apple admitted to limiting battery power with updates on older phones to "help" them last longer. I would not be surprised if other companies did this.

Top Bottom