• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was 2014 the best year for films of the current decade?

How did I know The Winter Soldier would be on this list before entering this thread.. Why do people love that movie so much? Maybe I should watch it again, but I never cared for Bucky as much as the movies wanted me to.
IMO, it was the Marvel film that ushered in the more creative films that have been coming out recently (Guardians 1 & 2, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, and from the looks of it, Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther).

Plus it was a damn good political thriller.

Dynomutt

I did not like Days of Future Past. Not one bit. The X-Men franchise is bookended for me. X-Men (OG) and Logan which is not really even an X-Men film.

Davide

2015 didn't have a lot of movies I liked, I'd go against the common consensus and say that Steve Jobs was the best film of the year.

My favourite movie of 2017 may be Baby Driver even though it's not perfect.

Plus it was a damn good political thriller.
Would have been pretty timely in 2017.

NCSOFT

Meanwhile the best picture for 2013 had slightly lower at 96% and the Best Picture of the year for 2014 had 91%, same as Guardians of the Galaxy.

When you can to 90+ territory on very different movies percentage differences don't mean a lot.

You and I are talking about completely different things, I was talking about the fact that MMFR and Inside out as commercial blockbusters films received prestigious reviews that no commercial blockbusters released in 2014 achieved. I'm not talking about films in general, I do think 2014 is a stronger year than 2015, and let's not forget that the best reviewed film of this decade is 2014's boyhood.

Zabka

Nightcrawler and Whiplash are a great combo but Fury Road is tough to beat for 2015

How did I know The Winter Soldier would be on this list before entering this thread.. Why do people love that movie so much? Maybe I should watch it again, but I never cared for Bucky as much as the movies wanted me to.

Sounds like you weren't '70s politically thrilled by it.

prag16

Banned
Interstellar beats everything in the OP.

Opinions, how do they work? I didnt enjoy most of the movies in the OP. Only 3 of them were decent. Budapest hotel was hot garbage in my opinion, for instance, despite its critical acclaim or whatever.

+1 for Interstellar. It's very rare for me to feel compelled to watch hardly any movies more than a couple times, but I've watched Interstellar around 4-5 times which is EXTREMELY high for me with the exception of certain classics.

And as for the bolded. THANK YOU. Everywhere I turned a couple years back, people were sucking this movie's dick relentlessly. It wasn't good. It wasn't even watchable.

tenor.gif

NCSOFT

This. I still don't get why people think Inside Out is amazing. It's fine, but nowhere near Pixar's best (Ratatouille).

While it is true that Ratatouille is Pixar's best (probably the greatest animated film ever in fact), Inside out I think is top 3-5 Pixar material.

While it is true that Ratatouille is Pixar's best (probably the greatest animated film ever in fact), Inside out I think is top 3-5 Pixar material.
Honestly, I still think that The Incredibles is their best, followed by Monsters, Inc. and then Ratatouille, though I still love it a lot.

NCSOFT

Honestly, I still think that The Incredibles is their best, followed by Monsters, Inc. and then Ratatouille, though I still love it a lot.

Didn't love The Incredibles for some reason, still very much looking forward to the sequel though. Everyone's Pixar ranking is vastly different, that's the beauty of it.

Didn't love The Incredibles for some reason, still very much looking forward to the sequel though. Everyone's Pixar ranking is vastly different, that's the beauty of it.
IMO, Pixar is way more spotty than people are willing to admit.

IMO:
Toy Story - Great
A Bug's Life - Meh
Toy Story 2 - Good
Monsters, Inc. - Fantastic
Finding Nemo - Meh
The Incredibles - Amazing (my third favorite animated film after The Lion King and The LEGO Movie)
Cars - Nah
Ratatouille - Great
WALL-E - Good
Up - Good, not great
Toy Story 3 - Meh
Cars 2 - KILL IT WITH FIRE
Brave - Nah
Monsters University - Nah
Inside Out - Meh
The Good Dinosaur - Nah
Finding Dory - Hell nah
Cars 3 - Haven't seen yet

C4Lukins

I mean, so many films that I would list as being example of modern film at it's finest.

Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The LEGO Movie
Guardians of the Galaxy
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
Birdman
Edge of Tomorrow
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Babadook
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
John Wick
Selma
Gone Girl
Interstellar
Force Majeure
Goodbye to Language
Inherent Vice
The Raid 2
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Let me know if there's any I missed. Also, what's your favorite year of film?

My top years on IMDB

1. 1983
2. 1984
3. 1973
4. 1978
5. 1979
6. 2017
7. 1981
8. 2016
9. 1982
10. 1999
11. 1986
12. 1996
13. 2010
14. 1985
15. 2014

Now realize each of those years is an average of all the films I saw from that year. And maybe TV shows, which skews the whole thing.

NCSOFT

IMO, Pixar is way more spotty than people are willing to admit.

IMO:
Toy Story - Great
A Bug's Life - Meh
Toy Story 2 - Good
Monsters, Inc. - Fantastic
Finding Nemo - Meh
The Incredibles - Amazing (my third favorite animated film after The Lion King and The LEGO Movie)
Cars - Nah
Ratatouille - Great
WALL-E - Good
Up - Good, not great
Toy Story 3 - Meh
Cars 2 - KILL IT WITH FIRE
Brave - Nah
Monsters University - Nah
Inside Out - Meh
The Good Dinosaur - Nah
Finding Dory - Hell nah
Cars 3 - Haven't seen yet

Like I said, that's the beauty of it, people have vastly different opinions on what's Pixar's best, there's no consensus. For example, I loved Inside out, Finding Nemo, Finding Dory, and really liked The Good Dinosaur, I'm kind of Meh on The Incredibles, but I agree with you that UP wasn't all that great.

Spotty or not, Pixar's truly great films are exactly that, the bright spots are so bright that the weak efforts are forgivable.

UberTag

I'm not a big fan of 2014 but my favorite film from that year has yet to be mentioned.
Namely the Roger Ebert retrospective documentary, Life Itself.

Maybe, lots of great films that year (The Grand Budapest Hotel, Birdman, Boyhood, Selma, Whiplash, Pride is another good underseen film from that year etc...), but I have to say that 2017 is turning into a pretty solid year too, and we have still plenty of films to go (The Last Jedi, Thor Ragnarok, The Shape of Water, Coco etc...), plus any smaller releases I might be able to find. I really wanna see Good Time for example, but it's not playing anywhere unfortunately.

Thankfully Bucky isn't the only character to get a huge focus in the film. I agree that Bucky isn't the greatest.

As for the Pixar discussion, I'd say my favorite is actually one of the Toy Story sequels though I also love Inside Out & Up too. In fact I'd say I'm the odd man out, and I enjoy all of their films even Cars 2 to a certain extent.

Kevtones

Boyhood made me cry and care and think in a way most films haven't.

It's a landmark of a film and deserves at 7 years of hyperbolic praise.

C4Lukins

Boyhood made me cry and care and think in a way most films haven't.

It's a landmark of a film and deserves at 7 years of hyperbolic praise.

I love the director, and enjoyed the first half of the film... But the second half really lost me, and it was so bad that I would describe it as one of the worst film experiences I have ever endured.

Not to shit on your experience of the film. I can see how someone would identify with it in ways that would be foreign to me.

amaretto

2015 gave us Dope, Queen of Earth, Tangerine, Amy, Anomalisa, 45 Years, Selma, Mad Max, Spotlight, Inside Out, It Follows, Girlhood, Youth and the best film of the century, Carol.

No other year can compete with this. MAYBE I'd entertain 2013 but I mean... doubtful.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Opinions, how do they work? I didnt enjoy most of the movies in the OP. Only 3 of them were decent. Budapest hotel was hot garbage in my opinion, for instance, despite its critical acclaim or whatever. Also hated Lego movie and thought Guardians was corny as fuck and boring.
There's so many things those films do on an objective metric of competent filmmaking that I simply do not trust your opinion on films.

Top Bottom