• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was David Cage the original Neil Druckmann?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
No Way Reaction GIF

tommib

Bad take, man. And kind of shortsighted. Cage’s Omikron was open world and wanted you to do everything in it. He then shifted for a more of a point and click approach, heavily cinematic, but with tons of narrative branches.

Last of us 2 without the cutscenes is a playground of stealth, shooting, ammo management, melee combat…

I think the so-called walking simulators are more interested in removing the “gameplay” focus. And by the way, this is not a problem. Let’s have games with everything and for everyone. Choice is good. I’m totally gameplay-centric these days but most of my pleasure in the 90s came from FMV games like Under a Killing Moon.

Hey GAF, a humorous thought came to me...was thinking that David Cage was the original Neil Druckmann in the sense that they want gaming to be like interactive movies and don't embrace gaminess in games and such. What say you GAF, do you think David Cage is the original Neil Druckmann?
????

bender

What time is it?
While Uncharted and TLOU of a dumbed down knock offs of other popular games, they are far more mechanically dense than Cage's QTE filled choose your own adventure games. The opening bathroom scene in Indigo Prophecy showed a lot of promise but nothing that came after that came close to living up to that potential and largely failed because Cage is a God awful writer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Until we start getting credible harassment claims against Druckman, no they're not even close.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sharktank GIF by ABC Network

MGO 2 is probably one of the most memorable mp games that graced the ps3.

MGS4 gameplay is incredible.

MGSV gameplay is amazing, ZOE2 is extremely fun, MGS1 and 2 were top notch at the time...

Ya drunk?
Never played MGO, but disagree on MGS4 gameplay being incredible. It was play for 15 mins and sit through 30 mins of cutscenes. And lets not pretend Metal Gear has a good story.

I do agree MGSV was fantastic.

Only played a little bit of ZOE. Need to get back to it. The VR mode is neat.

Aion002

Never played MGO, but disagree on MGS4 gameplay being incredible. It was play for 15 mins and sit through 30 mins of cutscenes. And lets not pretend Metal Gear has a good story.

I do agree MGSV was fantastic.

Only played a little bit of ZOE. Need to get back to it. The VR mode is neat.
If I am remembering right every cutscene on MGS4 can be skipped.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I enjoyed Heavy Rain at the time, haven't played anything by him since. Druckmann has good taste in games & TLOU Part II was fire but there's been some really poor management regarding ND (no new IP announcement, dragging their feet with the MP game and TLOU Part I remake wtf) and even then I've STILL got Neil D's back. David Cage makes meme games.

The problem is that David Cage's games (since Heavy Rain anyway...) don't really offer much in terms of interactivity (I know you have input, but it's more Dragon's Lair than a fully formed game... You play the story.

The ND games have proper top of the line gameplay mechanics surrounded by not interactive intermissions that tell most of the game's story. I could get through any Uncharted game, TLoU or TLoU2 without watching any of the cut scenes and enjoy the games just as much (or even more in the case of those who don't like the game's story).
The absolute hardon this board has for Druckmann never ceases to amaze.
Got a problem with that?
Animated GIF

KXVXII9X

Hey GAF, a humorous thought came to me...was thinking that David Cage was the original Neil Druckmann in the sense that they want gaming to be like interactive movies and don't embrace gaminess in games and such. What say you GAF, do you think David Cage is the original Neil Druckmann?
I thank both of these guys for bringing in more of these kinds of interactive narratives. While I'm not a fan of TLOU Part 1 Remake, I don't understand how people just think TLOU lacks gameplay, especially Part 2 when it has incredible level design, smarter AI and physics, and a lot of interaction in combat. The combat looks eons above most due to how arcade-y most games still feel. NPC's feel more believable and also interact with the environment semi-independently of the player.

Why can't a game focus on a strong narrative? Why can't there be room for different kinds of games? Right now, there is a renaissance of game-y games. Metroidvanias, Soulslikes, Roguelites/likes, side scrollers, online shooters, difficult platformers, strategy games, Beat Em Ups, etc. Why don't you go play those instead? You are finally being catered to and you still gripe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sharktank GIF by ABC Network

MGO 2 is probably one of the most memorable mp games that graced the ps3.

MGS4 gameplay is incredible.

MGSV gameplay is amazing, ZOE2 is extremely fun, MGS1 and 2 were top notch at the time...
Yes and TLOU2's gameplay is amazing too. Maybe not as good as MGSV, but it has its own strengths.

Actually No…TLOU II is unmatched…just because Joel died doesn’t mean he “suckz”.

You are right. The issue was the writing, story, story arcs, characters, shallow gameplay, forgettable music, forgettable ”set pieces”, and bland level design.

Cage at least had a semi unique hook to his “gameplay”. Druckman just followed the basic formula that Naught Dog has failed to update or move past from.

Woggleman

TLOU2 gameplay is so good that people are mad because the remake isn't more like it. Just because it has a story around it does not mean that it is an interactive movie. This narrative is tired.

Dorohedoro

Name me one 3rd person shooter that is as visceral and impactful as Tlou2. Just one. Gameplay as secondary my ass.
Max Payne 3 probably comes the closest even tho it didn't have have the same amount of gore.

You are right. The issue was the writing, story, story arcs, characters, shallow gameplay, forgettable music, forgettable ”set pieces”, and bland level design.

Cage at least had a semi unique hook to his “gameplay”. Druckman just followed the basic formula that Naught Dog has failed to update or move past from.
Only thing I agree with might be the music. I don't think it has as many memorable tracks as the first game. I thought it had great level design and not sure what people want with the gameplay, it's a sequel to another TPS and if they changed it too much from TLoU1 a lot of people would've ragged on it for that too.

TLOU2 gameplay is miles ahead of TLOU. That's why people were so pissed to see Part 1 looks like it didn't get the combat from Part 2. That seemed like the entire point of the remake.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No.. he's always made action games w/ narratives.. there's a pretty wide gulf between that and David Cage's "games."

(it's still not wide enough of a gulf for me personally though, as I get soooo bored doing the interactive movie garbage sequences, but there is still an ACTUAL GAME burried behind all that unskippable snoozefest)

Last edited:
Max Payne 3 probably comes the closest even tho it didn't have have the same amount of gore.

Only thing I agree with might be the music. I don't think it has as many memorable tracks as the first game. I thought it had great level design and not sure what people want with the gameplay, it's a sequel to another TPS and if they changed it too much from TLoU1 a lot of people would've ragged on it for that too.

I wanted something that offered more of an evolution than “You can prone now!”. Obviously being a bit facetious as they *did* add a bit more than that, but overall it felt incredibly generic and forgettable.

TLOU2 gameplay is miles ahead of TLOU. That's why people were so pissed to see Part 1 looks like it didn't get the combat from Part 2. That seemed like the entire point of the remake.
The gameplay was mostly the same with a couple new tricks that really didn’t add much to the experience. If you want a proper stealth game go play MGSV and the choices it offers as both a third person shooter and a stealth title. Hell, THIEF and THIEF II: The Metal Age offered more choice and complexity in its gameplay than TLOU1 or 2 did.

Top Bottom