• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Eternal Sonata an underrated/underappreciated JRPG?

Chastten

Banned
One of the few games where I have 1000/1000 on Xbox 360.

I can understand some of the criticism but I personally loved it. Combat system, music, graphics, characters, sometimes you just have a game that clicks.

My personally biggest gripes are lack of fast travel/overworld and that one dungeon that is absolutely impossible to clear without a guide or map. (the round fortress, i think everyone who played this game will remember this)

gundalf

I loved the game back then but I will never replay it again, its too linear with boring anime tropes.
But the JRPG genre was generally in a bad state in that generation.

fart town usa

Gold Member
No.

I think people enjoyed it so much at release cause JRPGs were kind of floundering, and it was nice to have a nex-gen JRPG. I owned the PS3 version and was hyped on it cause of the things I read but I put it down after a few hours, just wasn't feeling it at all.

The story was cool though, pretty unique.

fart town usa

Gold Member
always wanted to play this. my personal underappreciated RPG of the time is Resonance of Fate.
Man, Resonance of Fate will haunt me for the remainder of my life. I absolutely adore that game but I could never figure out the battle system. I've watched videos, read guides. I just can't get it to work for me, I always get hard locked a few hours in cause I just get wrecked in battles. The music, graphics, etc. So damn good. It's so frustrating that I still want to play the game but I don't cause I know I'll get stuck.

gundalf

Man, Resonance of Fate will haunt me for the remainder of my life. I absolutely adore that game but I could never figure out the battle system. I've watched videos, read guides. I just can't get it to work for me, I always get hard locked a few hours in cause I just get wrecked in battles. The music, graphics, etc. So damn good. It's so frustrating that I still want to play the game but I don't cause I know I'll get stuck.

I actually still listen the OST to this day, its so good!
But yeah, the battle system and being confined to that tower thing (monotone environments) made me to not finish it as well.
Gosh, who green-lights those weird ass battle systems?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I actually still listen the OST to this day, its so good!
But yeah, the battle system and being confined to that tower thing (monotone environments) made me to not finish it as well.
Gosh, who green-lights those weird ass battle systems?
Right, I remember reading comments from the developer that they were aiming for a cinematic action-type battle system, I'm guessing they were trying to appeal to Western gamers but it's just way too obtuse for me. I love the music as well. The pre-rendered backgrounds were gorgeous too.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It's a very unique battle system for sure. What it boils down to is this:

try to "circle" the opponents in the form of a triangle and then use special attacks. As enemies are always moving you should also reposition your team in a triangle shape. Like your team is positioned in a triangle shape, then the enemy moves, and if they're out of your range, then you move one or two characters, so your team is positioned in a triangle shape again. Sounds weird, but you'll get used to it. Imagine a normal triangle. There are three corners. Which corner do you have to move to turn this triangle into to another triangle?
For weak enemies you don't need to do this, but for bosses and harder areas you should. That way you'll make the most damage and can effectively hit most enemies. The combat is all about positioning. Getting special ammunition (ice, fire) will help a lot too.

it don't think the game is thaaat hard tbh. It's just very unusual for a JRPG. At the beginning of the first area there is some sort of training camp. There you can level up and get used to it. Once it makes click its awesome (imo).

I really liked it. Not sure why. 1000 pointed it on 360.

I'm pretty sure it was the last JRPG I could stomach, and maybe even the last (non-Nintendo) Japanese game tbh. Either I grew up or they turned to shit, but I don't touch them any more.

Kev Kev

I played through it and it was your typical JRPG garbage. Just another in a long line of disappointments in the genre, imo.

Paulistano

KàIRóS KàIRóS you need to play the PS3 version it got more content, I played it when it launched on the 360 and later played on the PS3, the 360 version feels like a beta version.

Top Bottom