• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Mario Odyssey worthy of its 97?

Is Mario Odyssey worthy of its 97?

• Yes, it is the pinnacle of gaming

Votes: 122 37.8%
  • Eh, It’s a good game but I’d rate it much lower

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • No, it was just ok

Votes: 59 18.3%
  • Honestly I didn’t enjoy it at all

Votes: 13 4.0%

• Total voters

Hugare

Worst 3D Mario that I've ever played (didnt play Sunshine)

Galaxy 1 and 2 are LEAGUES better than this game

Odyssey is ridiculous in terms of challenge. It's so easy.

There are bazillions of moons to catch, so it's not rewarding when you find one. Green stars in Galaxy feel much more rewarding.

The hats stuff seems cool on paper, but most of them are so gimmicky. You dont need 90% of them in order to pick moons and finish the level.

And I much preffer the more focused levels from Galaxy and 3D World

ADiTAR

Banned

DLC? It would make sense for something to come along with the movie to capitalize on it, maybe even both those sluggish MK8D sales...

I don't see a new game tho, because I think they wanna do that for Switch 2 (prob open playground like Bowser's Story).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's among the best ones. I would say it comes close. The Galaxy games were better. It's very polished.

Mozzarella

No, its a good game though, i like how it keeps things fresh each level with new innovative mechanics. But that alone doesnt make it a 97, well actually none of the modern 97s (RDR2, BOTW, Odyssey) are worthy of that score anyway.

AmuroChan

Odyssey didn't really jive with me. So to me it seems high. Galaxy, 64, and World are still the gold standards of Mario games IMO.

yurinka

I think it's a masterpiece, my favorite Mario game ever and the best Switch game combined with BotW.

But I think 97 maybe it's a bit too high, I'd have removed a few points to both it and BotW. Maybe something like 92 or 94 would have made more sense.

I thought it was great. I would have liked for it to have a hub world like Sunshine or 64 to explore and find secrets in, but outside of that I thought it was an incredible experience from start to finish.

Oberstein

Mario Odyssey is very cool, not the craziest nor the most challenging, but it's clearly a chill game.

A DLC that would exploit Cappy's mechanics to the fullest could be really cool. Now is it a bit too late? Not every game can re-launch itself like Mario Kart 8 did...

Last edited:
It’s fair - best game of its type last generation. Incredible range too - I thought it was great and completed it in 2017. My son lives it and did the same this year at age 6. Very well polished, programmed and balanced.

Top Bottom