• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Mario Odyssey worthy of its 97?

Is Mario Odyssey worthy of its 97?

• Yes, it is the pinnacle of gaming

Votes: 122 37.8%
  • Eh, It’s a good game but I’d rate it much lower

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • No, it was just ok

Votes: 59 18.3%
  • Honestly I didn’t enjoy it at all

Votes: 13 4.0%

• Total voters

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If the requirement for a score like that is to move the industry forward or revolutionize gaming then there are a lot of games that need to be re-rated because creativity and innovation in the AAA space has pretty much been a corpse for a while now.

Sure, if you're ignoring Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2, Elden Ring, The Last of Us, The Last of Us Part II, Half-Life: Alyx, The Witcher 3, and a bunch of other games.

Super Mario Odyssey has a higher score than all of those games, by the way. It's the highest rated game of all time on Opencritic.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yes and No
For me its actually one of the weaker 3D Marios,(though they are all awesome games) because of its clumsy joycon controls and gimmicky Moon design, its a game that's well worth a playthrough but its more about collecting trash than challenging platforming levels.

However, its presentation,ambition, polish and content are deserving of high praise and its simply a game that follows trends, fans / critics have been asking for more open level design and Nintendo delivered just that.

my favorite 3D Marios are Galaxy 2,3D World and Mario64DS. And i would rather play a new 2D Mario Bros right now than an Odyssey sequel, its long overdue

tbh i don't like Breath of the Wild that much either compared to other Zeldas 🤭 so maybe im just not cool anymore 😦

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sure, if you're ignoring Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2, Elden Ring, The Last of Us, The Last of Us Part II, Half-Life: Alyx, The Witcher 3, and a bunch of other games.

Super Mario Odyssey has a higher score than all of those games, by the way. It's the highest rated game of all time on Opencritic.
I mean, none of the games you mentioned are particularly innovative except maybe Half-Life Alyx. They are all good, though, and deserve their scores.

The original comment I replied to was that Odyssey didn't deserve its score because it wasn't innovative and didn't move gaming forward. Aside from Alyx every game you mentioned was in the low risk gaming safe space that formed during the focus group shaped PS360 era and gelled in the PS4/One era. "Zelda is open world now!" is cool, but not particularly innovative.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I mean, none of the games you mentioned are particularly innovative except maybe Half-Life Alyx. They are all good, though, and deserve their scores.

The original comment I replied to was that Odyssey didn't deserve its score because it wasn't innovative and didn't move gaming forward. Aside from Alyx every game you mentioned was in the low risk gaming safe space that formed during the focus group shaped PS360 era and gelled in the PS4/One era. "Zelda is open world now!" is cool, but not particularly innovative.

Each and every one of the games I listed did several things that had never been done in games before and/or did things that reshaped the direction of the industry at large.

ungalo

Definitely not for me. Level design is way too mediocre for a game like that.

I can give a pass for the filler content but the levels are not good enough. Transformations are also too gimmicky.

Fbh

It'd say it was a solid 85 or maybe even 90.
I really like the variety and creativity of the levels, the cappy mechanic is one of the best new additions the franchise has gotten so far and overall I had a blast with it. But I do think it was too easy and could have used some more actual platforming, it ends up being more of a chill exploration game than a platformer which I found a bit disappointing. Also the moons going for a quantity over quality design was weird.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned

Its a better game than all of those examples you gave, that's why.

Assigning a granular number score which implies objectivity to a subjective and variable experience highly dependent on one's own preferences and life experience, is a fool's errand and an exercise in futility.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Some here putting Odyssey bellow Sunshine, lmao... I couldn't even play Sunshine last time on the SM3DAS because I came from playing Odyssey and couldn't stand it's low framerate and inferior controls... And Sunshine has very good controls compared to basically anything (all 3D marios in general).

I don't know if the game deserves 97, but it's incredible, I'd say I don't like the moon bloat but let's be honest, only those that need to do EVERYTHING in a game are the ones complaining

Odyssey is as good as sunshine, galaxy 1&2 and they all are more pleasant to play than Mario 64.

Maybe I'm missing the subtleties of the hardcore Mario fans.

So I'm not sure how I would rate it, I am annoyed by the amount of unnecessary text I Nintendo games since the GameCube days... So I can barely play these games.

Last edited:
it was good, happy it was made, would like a sequel, but... i dont know, i didnt have a ton of fun, and only a little tiny bit of the music was memorable.

Katajx

Gold Member
I think they both killed it. One of the biggest 1-2 punches in gaming history. The craziest aspect though is that I think the scores are deserved, but there's also room for improvement on both games. Breath of the Wild with better story, bosses and dungeons could hit like a 99 or something nuts. Mario Odyssey with even more movement options, variety and even better consistency on the moons could hit 98 or something.

People will disagree, but I think those teams are just that good and have been for decades now. They don't really make too many games below that level of quality. And it's not like they're graphical showpieces or even story showpieces. It's just top tier game design. A celebration of the interactive medium.

Breath of the Wild did utilize Ubisoft style design, but basically revolutionized open world design. The actual shape of the land, the mountains, the careful attention to placing objects of interest in the short distance, medium distance, and long distance that are all organically visible and clear without a map or tracking icons required. These are the elements Elden Ring emulated 5 years later and look at the score on that.

Both Mario and Zelda deserved it imho.
Yes, this is how a new system should launch with those kind of heavy hitters year 1. I enjoyed this game immensely even though I would have liked them to do some things differently. It was 3D Mario and it was fun to me the whole way through.

I liked collecting the coins to unlock all of the suits for Mario, but I had wished they affected gameplay in some way instead of being cosmetics.

Foilz

Banned
Absolutely!! MO was a masterpiece!! The only negative was that the boss battles were too easy. The level design, mini games and Easter eggs of the game was perfection

Chronicle

No that game is hot garbage. Got it for my daughter and it's sparse and the gameplay is terrible. You literally run on the spot for like a second or two before you move. Fucking stab! It made me realize it's just nerd nostalgia that keeps nintendo popular. Terrible awful game. Come at me geeks!

Trilobit

I seriously want DLC or something with a proper Ruined Kingdom stage. The atmosphere was so spectacular.

smo491.png

Business

Fantastic game that's for sure. Too short and they tried to compensate by overextending with too many silly moons, but what's there is still Nintendo at it's finest.

ungalo

Just like Ragnarok
I agree.

I think the biggest factor in overrating a game (in my opinion of course) is the IP aura. Then the potential player's reaction (it's tied to the popularity of the IP in a way but not entirely) and only after that publisher's pressure.

I genuinely think that because it's 3D Mario and it's Nintendo they think everything in this game is pure genius. It's instinctive at this point.

I'd say the same for Halo Infinite's 87.

Last edited:
I never played 64 when it originally released (I have since though)...my first 3d Mario was sunshine. I don't know why sunshine gets a bad rep as I thought it was a brilliant game. I love the jumping mechanics along with flud.... And it's think the platforming was million times better than anything that was in odysee.

Looking back at sunshine I think the art direction was better too but that may be nostalgia kicking in.

Imo sunshine is a much better game. Odysee was not challenging, and I didn't like the levels that much. I also prefer galaxy to odysee.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yes. It revolutionized Mario in such a simple thing he always had, his hat. There was someone at Nintendo that said, hey, what if we use his hat for movement and then like all things from Nintendo they knew how to expend upon that. I think this simple twist of something that in hindsight so obvious is why this is such an amazing game.

It's also polished, runs perfectly, music is amazing, and art is beautiful.

Labadal

This is a solid 8/10. I enjoyed it, but was still slightly disappointed. The game is good, controls are good, worlds are mostly fun, but it has too many collectibles, and it was a bit too easy.

I do not regret playing it, but it is not close to a game like the Galaxy games, and I was unwilling to play those for the longest of time. When I did, I had a blast with them.

Emedan

It's a strong 90. I think I'd be better if there were lesser moons with more effort put into them.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Compared with every other POS AAA game released in the last 10 years?? it deserves higher.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Looks like the majority here disagree.

It's a great game, just not the greatest game of all time (or anywhere near it).
What majority?

And who said about being the greatest game of all time? And even then, how those games you listed are contenders of best of all time? Plently of people disliked BOTW, and Elden Ring, much like Mario Odyssey.

RyRy93

Its a better game than all of those examples you gave, that's why.
I think it's worse, all we can say for sure is that the general interest with this game died within months unlike a lot of those other examples.

When critics or gamers talk about the GOTG or the GOAT it is rarely brought up.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
What majority?

And who said about being the greatest game of all time? And even then, how those games you listed are contenders of best of all time? Plently of people disliked BOTW, and Elden Ring, much like Mario Odyssey.

Looks at my post that you quoted. I stated there that it's a 97 on Opencritic, which makes it the greatest game of all time according to that score. No game has scored higher.

Paltheos

Captain Toad Captain Toad You are, of course, invited to respond in earnest.

i couldnt disagree more

New donk city is great, but i feel like the levels are some of the most unique ever seen in mario history, artistically. It isn't just 'grass area' or 'sand area' or 'water area' it's actually inspired locations that frankly feel a bit out of place, but really unique for mario.

cascade kingdom is probably the best opening area since bobomb battlefield (and frankly i feel the size of that kingdom is what all of the kingdoms should have been rather than gigantic areas with tons of pointless plentiful moons)

Lake kingdom is a very beautiful realization of the water area, an underwater paradise that's beautified and glorified to look like it came straight out of the little mermaid

seaside kingdom too being one of the most fun water levels in mario, you can zip around super fast on the water like a maniac

and i shouldnt need to describe what makes luncheon kingdom so unique, it should be so obvious lol

if theres anything great that odyssey does, it's give mario a ton of new locations and ideas that it desperately needed after the early-mid 2010s reverted his art direction back into "bing bing wahoo grassy sand spooky etc"

Yeah you might be right. I might be selling some of the environments short because of how bland or boring most of the content is. Luncheon Kingdom is a standout location too - Really creative (again, not that I'm looking for aesthetic in a Mario game but if it's there, all due). Now that I'm thinking about it again, it reminds me a little bit of those levels in DK: Tropical Freeze that dice fruit and have you use them as temporary platforms while dodging the hazards of the cutting instruments too iirc? I hadn't seen something like that before in a platformer, and I enjoyed those levels the most in that game.

Top Bottom