• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Mario Odyssey worthy of its 97?

Is Mario Odyssey worthy of its 97?

• Yes, it is the pinnacle of gaming

Votes: 122 37.8%
  • Eh, It’s a good game but I’d rate it much lower

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • No, it was just ok

Votes: 59 18.3%
  • Honestly I didn’t enjoy it at all

Votes: 13 4.0%

• Total voters

kiphalfton

I like the direction they went with with it... but it did have way too many collectibles.

Some of the worlds weren't great either. Also need some more challenging platforming.
I do have to admit that I was a little salty about the BOTW comparison done by the OP, but I am being sincere that I think BOTW did deserve to score 2 or 3 points less.

Odyssey, while it didn't (truly) revolutionize anything, brough a game structure that Mario and the gaming industry haven't seen at that level of quality in what, 20 years? Honestly, the game has not one single flaw in what it sets out to do. Hell, it even manages to have a decent narrative, in which the prior games basically boiled down to "save the princess!" and little else.Whenever people talk about an Odyssey sequel, its about how they want more of what the game had already done, and not how to fix its flaws, because honestly there are any. I always love when Nintendo does something completely unique with Mario. But if they did Odyssey 2, which is basically the first game with a few more moviment options with more realms, I'll hyped beyond belief.

BOTW is different. It completely changed how a Zelda game plays, and it did revolutionized how to make open world games, but it has some glaring and frankly deep flaws. The story is as thin as a paper. Honestly it kind of feels that Miyamotto wrote the story. "Story? Nah, just make Ganondorf destroy everything, kidnap Zelda, and have Link fix Hyrule". Its such a dissapointment compared to previous Zelda games. The dungeons are also a dissapointment. The first time you enter one of the Divine Beasts is cool, but it becomes a bore later.The music is also a huge letdown, even if I understand why they went with that.

Amd that's the difference. When Odyssey sequel is talked about, the focus is on what else it could do, since the first one is so good. With BOTW, the focus is on how to fix is flaws, and not on how to expand what is already there.

But both games are masterpieces, there is no denying that.

BOTW did nothing new to expand open world games, and piggy backed off Ubisoft formula. Yawn.

Mario like Zelda, seem to suffer from score inflation. When you look at the aggregate sites they use different rules for how their calculated to

Not that these are bad games but this has been going on since the 90s. Just balance the reviews or remove the scores.

Definitely not.

Like others have said, the game is too easy and bloated with useless collectibles and not enough platforming. Every level had 1 sometimes 2 or 3 objectives that actually felt fulfilling, then it was just a bunch of random shit. Still a fun game, just nowhere near as good as many make it out to be.

GametimeUK

I think it's a special game for sure. It does deserve a high score, but I think putting it at the same score as Mario Galaxy 2 and BOTW is a bit too far. Between 93 and 95 is what I'd consider to be fair in my opinion.

LRKD

Was the most boring platformer I can remember playing, I didn't enjoy it at all and honestly can't see how anyone who has played more than 4 platformers could even enjoy it. Like others said though it was really polished, controls smooth as butter, looks nice enough. So like it's got a lot going for it, it just doesn't do anything interesting with it.

Hot5pur

Not really, and neither did Zelda.
These are simple games targeted at a broad audience riding on nostalgia and highly recognizable characters.
They were competent games however, but I'd max them out at 8/10. No one can tell me Zelda or Mario belong anywhere near Elden Ring, for example.
"But it's a different type of game!". Shuttup.

MagnesD3

I think it deserves that high of a score 9.6-9.7 I just wish there was more criticism with the problems the game does have like the way it has too many nothing moons that it often hurts the rewarding feeling of collecting them (also the fact you can buy them is bad design). I also felt like the buy system and purple coins needed fleshing out. I also loved its movement mechanics but it never really forces the player to master them (or use them) like they should, the game honestly needed more challenge, alot of ideas quit being used only once they have started to get interesting, things like this are the reason why I really wanted a sequel to the game to perfect that type of mario like galaxy 2 did for galaxy but sadly I think that ship has sailed. (I will live with this if they make a god like open world mario game tho like they probably are based on Bowsers Fury).

Last edited:

Romulus

Neither Zelda nor Mario did. I don't know what it is. Maybe alot of Nintendo games got bumped up because of the previous Wii U generation it looked like Nintendo might fade away for good, so the media and fans hyped switch games roof to ensure Nintendo would live on. That's likely a stretch but it could be a combination of things. Both games are fine, but nowhere near the scores.

dorkimoe

Yes 100%. I bought a switch a year after they were out, had no real hype or knowledge into this game. Played it and the entire time I kept saying to myself how amazing it was. Absolute most Fun game I played in years. Sold my switch eventually but really wish I could play it again

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's not a 97 to me. I don't think it's a bad game but it's the only mainline entry Mario game that I got bored with a few hours in.

No desire to go back to it. Just wasn't feeling it at all. Again though, I don't think it's a bad game.

It's not a 97 to me. I don't think it's a bad game but it's the only mainline entry Mario game that I got bored with a few hours in.

No desire to go back to it. Just wasn't feeling it at all. Again though, I don't think it's a bad game.

It's a weird game

Spectacular controls. Sharp Visuals.

Dreadful level design and objectives. Lacks the magic of previous Mario games. Something is definitely missing, and the art style is not nearly as strong as previous games. It's almost like the Ubisoft take on Mario.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's a weird game

Spectacular controls. Sharp Visuals.

Dreadful level design and objectives. Lacks the magic of previous Mario games. Something is definitely missing, and the art style is not nearly as strong as previous games. It's almost like the Ubisoft take on Mario.
Yea, weird is a good way to describe it. The game has fantastic production value and there wasn't anything that struck me as bad, I just didn't enjoy playing it, lol.

AngelMuffin

It was fun enough for a play through but ai haven’t and don’t foresee going back to play through it again though. I’d give it an 88.

20cent

Banned
It was good but I liked 3D world/land more. Too many things to collect, never bothered to go back once explored all levels once or twice.

Nautilus

Banned
I think it's worse, all we can say for sure is that the general interest with this game died within months unlike a lot of those other examples.

When critics or gamers talk about the GOTG or the GOAT it is rarely brought up.
Odyssey is talked about, even if not all the time. And its always on the top three of most lists of best Switch games.

Nautilus

Banned
Looks at my post that you quoted. I stated there that it's a 97 on Opencritic, which makes it the greatest game of all time according to that score. No game has scored higher.
Who uses Opencritic for that? In Metacritic there are plenty games with a 97 or 98 score.

bender

What time is it?
FUCK NO.

Mario 3D World is better.

I'd give it an 8.

batman-says-no.gif

Rykan

I enjoyed the Mario Galaxy games way more. I wasn't really a fan of the hat mechanic because it just feels that there was too much focus on variety instead of building a game around Mario's core mechanics. Mario odyssey is instead built around smaller, temporary mechanics, and none of them are as good as playing as regular Mario.

The game looks and performs very well and still looks fantastic.

Nvzman

I don't really think it deserves the score at all.
I enjoyed it but I do genuinely think the world design in Mario Odyssey is extremely lame because of how inorganic the environments are. They all look like dioramas suspended over a bottomless pit which completely ruins the whole "different lands" aesthetic they were trying to go for. Mario Galaxy was mostly just planets that were tiny and it made complete sense and worked because its in space. Sunshine had phenomenal environments and Mario 64 was restrained by its technical limitations, although that game at least tried to not have every area just be suspended over a bottomless pit.
Additionally, it is legitimately short as fuck, especially compared to Galaxy. I remember completing it in like 8 hours doing most of the moons you can attain while doing the story. I was disappointed by the ending as well, its not really as dramatic or interesting as most other Mario finales like Galaxy. As some posters have said as well, collecting moons is not really that satisfying.
Also lastly, YOU CAN'T PLAY AS LUIGI!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Of course. It’s the best Mario game ever made, and it’s not even close. Literally joy in the form of a game.

The only criticism I ever see is “5/10, too many moons” from wannabe trolls and people with objectively bad taste.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Absolutely. Wide-eyed wonder + superb level design + simple, excellent controls + artistic direction that all of Ubisoft’s money can’t buy.
As soon as I found the airship in Fossil Falls, I was in love.

Everyone’s grudge isn’t really that Odyssey has a 97, it’s that Galaxy doesn’t sit at 99.

Myself and my friend, with whom I have played through every major Mario and Zelda release for years, both took a week off work and even hired an AirBnB for it. This is why it took me a long time to admit to myself that it was a disappointment.

Galaxy took Mario took the next level. Odyssey is a less good Mario 64. I am still sad about it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought it was fantastic, a true sequel to Mario 64.

I could see why it wouldn’t appeal to someone who really took to Galaxy or 3D World though.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Why cant we ever just have simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ threads…-
Yes, its worth it. The level of polish, content, gameplay made it great. If BotW is zelda’s swan song on the switch then odyssey is mario’s.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
TL: DR the oversaturation of the moons in odyssey makes collecting 10 of them not nearly as satisfying as getting one star in mario 64.
I snipped the quote but this entire post is exactly how I feel about it. What I thought worked in opening up BotW and having those emergent gameplay experiences didn't really translate over to Mario at all. I just felt like I wanted a more focused objective in mind rather than doing a lot of just stumbling upon moons like they're some random collectible vs. the main objective.

Top Bottom