• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster/Remake greenlit by Hermen Hulst?

Did Hermen Hulst greenlight the Horizon 1 remake/remaster?

• Yes

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any upgrade to HZD should be no more than a big patch, ala the enhanced editions released for Witcher 1 and 2. Those had new content, cinematics, animations, graphical touchups etc etc...and was completely free.

It's not gonna be a remake, what the hell are you all smoking? It will be like what they did with Spider-man. A pointless remaster. Maybe they'll add ray tracing or some shit. Who cares. You guys do realize that TLoU 1 is a PS3 game right?
Not defending it, I'm sure as hell not buying these.

Skifi28

Played it on PS4 and almost platinumed it. I didn't care for those training side quests with all that boring arrow shooting and gliding, etc.
Got it again on PC... and boy does it look much better.
Also, for reference: PC Master Race. We want BBW Alloy? We got it. We want IG Model Alloy? We got it. Etc.
153-1665386961-362828873.png

How it feels to be master race, while also knowing the drawbacks, because you've been into for years.

I have to ask, do you masturbate looking directly at your PC or do you have like 200 photos of it that you scroll through?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No Part 1 was a legit remake. They remade the assets.

And RE2 is more than a remake, its a new game and reimagining, according to Capcom.

But they've done it before and they just called it (insert console) version of it.
The resdone textures, character models, lighting etc wasn't credited to it being a Remake or Remaster.
It was simply because because that what the console was capable of.
My point is it's not new, just repackaged and marketed differently.

Amiga

Remasters shouldn't be a bother, they are just a way to make redundant divisions in the studios generate income while they wait for production divisions to get new work to them.

Three

Yeah, similar to when people are "butthurt" about optional microtransactions and optional day one DLC: I see a trend I don't particularly like, so I voice my opinion. When companies like 4A and CDPR release next-gen patches that significantly overhaul the game for more powerful hardware for free, Sony's AUD$125.00 cash grabs don't sit all that well with me. You're on a discussion forum - what did you expect people to post?
Fair enough, was more pointing out that the PS5 patch you asked why they don't do already exists for free.

Not sure I see the equivalence to people being butthurt about microtransactions ruining their games because they affect the game design whether you want them or not. Grinding mechanics or waiting for things unless you pay to skip waiting. Optional game DLC, sure, though I've not seen many butthurt by that. This remaster existing doesn't affect anyone who owns the original though and those on the original got the free update.

4A and CDPR offering a free upgrade was nice too but calling it a significant overhaul while comparing to stuff like TLOU pt1 is a stretch, TLOU pt 1 was far more significant, by a country mile.

4A and CDPR had the benefit of being 2019 and 2020 release PC games. They didn't require new assets or significant engine changes, just porting to improved hardware.

Anyway, we have no idea about the price of Horizon Zero Dawn remastered, what the changes are, or if it even exists. so I'm really not sure what doesn't sit well. You don't know if its 120 AUD, whether the improvements are significant or whether they are worth it. Just ignore it.

ClosBSAS

Ugly Alloy incoming.

Look... HZD was a fun-ish game, but no one is sitting around saying "you know, I really want to slog through all that again"
Ya, I agree. Lived it on PC but man was it a slog ...the peaks were great but man it took me forever to beat and I have over 100hrs.

SSfox

Only if you ignore all the PS3 games remastered for PS4. Sony been doing this for years, ppl just make a big deal about it around here now dunno why.
PS4 was not PS3BC so that made sens, not just Sony but everyone was releasing remasters, and the prices were fair (RE games,DMC games, SF4 or Okami 20-30$ each), and sometimes you have collection with many games in one packages like DMC collection or MGS collection. And also Halo collection Xbox One.

Even Capcom that were very remaster company they didn't made remasters of PS4 RE cause they know there is no point, you can just upgrade for free if you already have the games, if you don't then you can buy the PS5 and Xbox Series version directly. That's really the best way to do it. Sony simply lost their mind.

Now you can play PS4 games on PS5 so really there is no point of those remasters, if Sony want to do something remasters there are so many better things they could have done, like for example GOW collection of all Greek Saga games that are stuck to classic PS hardwares (home and portables) and cannot be played in PS4 or PS5. (except GOW3).

Sony should really make remakes of older games that could use it better. Instead of horizon, do killzone, instead of tlou do uncharted 1. Seems a generation too soon to be making remakes on those type of games.

Last edited:

yurinka

So when was the leaked Horizon Zero Dawn remaster/remake pitched and greenlit?

When Hermen Hulst took over Sony first party from Shawn Layden in late 2019, Horizon 1 was 2.5 years old. Would Layden have really greenlit this game when it was just 2 years old? Or is this a definitely Hermen Hulst era project? I can't help but think its no coincidence that the studio head of Guerrilla takes over 1st party and now HZD is being heavily remastered or even remade.

BTW, Colin Moriarty said on his podcast that he was told about and even shown a screenshot of this Horizon game months ago and he said that it looked like a remake, similar to TLOU Part 1. So we may have to prepare for Sony to announce a $70 remake of this PS4 game.

- Colin Moriarty, on his podcast Sacred Symbols, episode 223

This may be one of the first games we know definitely was pitched to and greenlit by Hermen Hulst. A sign of things to come?
I think the remaster/remake doesn't exist.

I think that if such project exist it's only an updated native PS5 SKU of the game. Basically only the PS4 game ported to a newer version of the engine to use HFW PS5 basic features and other engine stuff and some improvement they could have added from the HZD PC port.

They could replace a few assets or textures from HZD with some other similar ones used in HFW or use the HFW lighting, Dualsense usage or extra options, but that's all. I don't see them making a remake or a remaster with a lot of work on it.

At the start of the generation some people complained about some PS4 not getting PS5 skus, it's funny to see now the same people complaining about no

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The idea of the remake isnt bad. It's the execution. Why limit a PS4 game to PS4 graphics? I wouldnt mind having a Horizon game with PS5 Matrix quality graphics. Maybe with some destruction. Maybe the forest catches fire. Maybe flying isnt more like gliding. A true PS5 game.

Herman took one look at the TLOU remake and knew that it wasnt on par with Demon Souls, was too expensive, and he was right. But what he did afterwards was whats so wrong with his approach. he gave it to a bigger studio which made it MORE expensive and then limited them to the PS4 quality visuals. It literally makes no sense whatsoever.

What this is is a cheap easy to do remaster. You take the assets they have created for HFW and port it to the PS4 version. You take the lighting upgrades to the engine and recompile the PS4 version on the new Decima engine. It's a copy pasta in the truest sense of the word. I have never seen devs take Uncharted 2 upgrades and port them back to Uncharted 1 within the same generation. Even if it was a free patch, it would be a gigantic waste of time.

Herman needs to be fired for this. He's overseen arguably the worst year of Sony first party in decades. Literally no true PS5 games two years after launch? The only difference between him and Matt Booty is that he had a bunch of last gen first party titles available. At least Matt Booty was honest about it up front and took a whole lot of shit for saying everything would be cross gen for two years. He didnt secretly hold back games like Fable, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Everwild, and Gears 6 just so he could get some good press. He took the hit but ensured that EVENTUALLY the games will come out and will be next gen. Thats what Herman shouldve done when he became the head of WWS in 2019. Make HFW next gen only. Delay to 2023 if it needs to. Make GOW next gen only. GT7 next gen only. TLOU remake next gen only.

Instead he greenlight two last gen remakes.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sony should really make remakes of older games that could use it better. Instead of horizon, do killzone, instead of tlou do uncharted 1. Seems a generation too soon to be making remakes on those type of games.
Sadly, the reason they dont is because those games are older and coded around the cell processor, remaking them would be more expensive and time consuming then remaking fucking horizon zero dawn. No way the last of us would have gotten its cash grab remake without the ps4 remaster from 2014. Basically, sony is being cheap and lazy here

EDMIX

Only if you ignore all the PS3 games remastered for PS4. Sony been doing this for years, ppl just make a big deal about it around here now dunno why.

Was just going to say the same thing.

No reason to have a thread like this, this is common place by this publisher and this weird thing of trying to sensationalize all remasters is getting a bit tire some. Its a sign that Sony will continue to behave as they have for many decades, this isn't news....

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? Over TLOUPT1?... anyway
One example people would consider Half Life on PS2 as remake by today Standards.
Virtua Fighter Remix is a Remake by today's standards
Ninja Gaidian Black is another example
Tomb Raider Legend on 360 would be classed as a remake by today Standards.
All had different assets and different textures and character models

Last edited:

JaksGhost

All of this from a single guy saying he heard a thing, and months later saw a single screenshot. He came to his own conclusion on what it might be with even an “I think…” included with his own idea of what’s in store. Later we get the leaked document with Remastered marked on it yet people are divulging that this is too much as if all PlayStation hits from 2 on up haven’t been remastered in some form for the next generation. This just seems like a whole bunch of nothing.

Played it on PS4 and almost platinumed it. I didn't care for those training side quests with all that boring arrow shooting and gliding, etc.
Also, for reference: PC Master Race. We want BBW Alloy? We got it. We want IG Model Alloy? We got it. Etc.

How it feels to be master race, while also knowing the drawbacks, because you've been into for years.

PC modding is something else....

where the ig model big booti one?

Corndog

Banned
The idea of the remake isnt bad. It's the execution. Why limit a PS4 game to PS4 graphics? I wouldnt mind having a Horizon game with PS5 Matrix quality graphics. Maybe with some destruction. Maybe the forest catches fire. Maybe flying isnt more like gliding. A true PS5 game.

Herman took one look at the TLOU remake and knew that it wasnt on par with Demon Souls, was too expensive, and he was right. But what he did afterwards was whats so wrong with his approach. he gave it to a bigger studio which made it MORE expensive and then limited them to the PS4 quality visuals. It literally makes no sense whatsoever.

What this is is a cheap easy to do remaster. You take the assets they have created for HFW and port it to the PS4 version. You take the lighting upgrades to the engine and recompile the PS4 version on the new Decima engine. It's a copy pasta in the truest sense of the word. I have never seen devs take Uncharted 2 upgrades and port them back to Uncharted 1 within the same generation. Even if it was a free patch, it would be a gigantic waste of time.

Herman needs to be fired for this. He's overseen arguably the worst year of Sony first party in decades. Literally no true PS5 games two years after launch? The only difference between him and Matt Booty is that he had a bunch of last gen first party titles available. At least Matt Booty was honest about it up front and took a whole lot of shit for saying everything would be cross gen for two years. He didnt secretly hold back games like Fable, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Everwild, and Gears 6 just so he could get some good press. He took the hit but ensured that EVENTUALLY the games will come out and will be next gen. Thats what Herman shouldve done when he became the head of WWS in 2019. Make HFW next gen only. Delay to 2023 if it needs to. Make GOW next gen only. GT7 next gen only. TLOU remake next gen only.

Instead he greenlight two last gen remakes.
Isn’t their a ps4 version of forbidden west? So they wouldn’t need to port that.
I’m assuming they just port assets to the new tech and then fix everything that breaks or looks out of place.

Instead of remastering this why don't they do games like God or war Ascension, most, Ratchet ps3, Motorstorm, infamous 1 and 2 etc?

Horizon zd needs a remaster/Remake less than even LoU1 ...by a mile

Horizon remake isn't real. Just seems fake to me. I can't see any possible reason they'd do this compared to TLOU Part 1. No PS4 games need a remake,just remake PS3 games,a lot of them have issues that could fixed with a remake plus the only other way to play them on current PS hardware is streaming which isn't ideal.
Streaming down right sucks!

Last edited:

T-Cake

It seems any Sony IP that is going to get a TV show is going to get a remaster of the game to coincide with it.

Last edited:

GHound

I don't really care who gave approval. I just hope they all circle jerk each other to an early retirement and we can actually get some shit that isn't already playable on PS5 instead.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I don't really care who gave approval. I just hope they all circle jerk each other to an early retirement and we can actually get some shit that isn't already playable on PS5 instead.
Sony seems to be content doing the bare minimum these days under Jim Ryan. But hey at least they are releasing some new games, even if they are cross gen 😒 thats more than I can say for some other companies right now lol

mortal

Gold Member
God of War III PS4 Remaster was released 5 years after the initial PS3 release. The same amount of time as Horizon ZD.

TLOU PS4 Remaster was released only 1 year after the initial PS3 release.

Spider-Man PS5 Remastered was released 4 years after the initial PS4, nearly the same amount of time as Horizon ZD.

Uncharted 4 & The Lost Legacy remasters releases 6 and 5 years respectively after their initial releases. The same amount of time as Horizon ZD.

Why are some people now pretending this is some sort of unprecedented move by Sony when they've been doing this for nearly a decade for their major 1st party titles?
The backlash is genuinely bizarre.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
God of War III PS4 Remaster was released 5 years after the initial PS3 release. The same amount of time as Horizon ZD.

Spider-Man PS5 Remastered was released 4 years after the initial PS4, nearly the same amount of time as Horizon ZD.

Uncharted 4 & The Lost Legacy remasters releases 6 and 5 years respectively after their initial releases. The same amount of time as Horizon ZD.

Why are some people now pretending this is some sort of unprecedented move by Sony when they've been doing this for nearly a decade for their major 1st party titles?

Because it was justified on the ps2 to ps3 and ps3 to ps4 transitions. With the PS5 having backwards compatibility, it does not make as much sense unless its a full blown Remake like Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Collosus or Medievil.

Fbh

I don't know.
But I sure wish Sony would spend all this time and money bringing back games which are trapped on ps3, like Killzone 2&3 or the Resistance franchise instead.

Give me this stuff in 4K60fps with some upgraded textures:
RHavQFF.gif

I think the backlash is mostly because the original leak spoke of a "remake" when it's likely just going to be a remaster like Spiderman and Uncharted.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know.
But I sure wish Sony would spend all this time and money bringing back games which are trapped on ps3, like Killzone 2&3 or the Resistance franchise instead.

RHavQFF.gif

I think the backlash is mostly because the original leak spoke of a "remake" when it's likely just going to be a remaster like Spiderman and Uncharted.
Those bullet dance ragdogs were some of the best.

I don't know.

RHavQFF.gif

damn, it still good even today.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Being in charge of playstation studios a title wont be able to get approved without Hulsts approval.

mortal

Gold Member
Because it was justified on the ps2 to ps3 and ps3 to ps4 transitions. With the PS5 having backwards compatibility, it does not make as much sense unless its a full blown Remake like Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Collosus or Medievil.
What is or isn't "justified" is subjective. There are plenty of gamers that would prefer to play the game with improved IQ, better QoL features, and optimized performance. Which is who remasters are aimed at.
It's simply another purchase option for anyone with those preferences and the money to spend. It's a product, don't pay for it if you don't want it. It's as simple as that, is it not?

This is par for the course for Sony 1st party titles.

There are people who are still complaining even after the leaked list indicates it was a remaster and not a remake.
Tbh those that were pissed off by the rumor should've been more skeptical rather than just running with unconfirmed rumors.

SlimySnake

I don't know.

RHavQFF.gif

PS3 ports like that were designed around the cell processor and PS3's split ram architecture. They would actually require some work. It took ND a year to port TLOU. Bluepoint made their name porting these games from PS3.

Copy pasting character models and textures from one PS4 game to another is easy and quick money. All the work is done. All the major characters from the first game already had character models developed for the sequel. The engine has already been updated. The art has already been drawn and imported. The PS5 engine work is already done. It's not like they were going to update the encounters or add new bosses. See how ND refused to add destructible walls in the bloater fights.

Like you said, its basically a remaster.

Reactions: Fbh

SlimySnake

If that’s the case then it makes even less sense because this game already got PS5 updated, did it not?
they didnt create a PS5 sku for it. Many wondered why. Now we know why. They want to charge full price for it and are trying to justify it by adding new character models and lighting upgrades from HFW.

All they did was release a PS4 patch to unlock 60 fps. GOW, GoT and Days Gone did the same.

Chronicle

Ahhh..... shit this site makes me laugh sometimes! Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom