• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster/Remake greenlit by Hermen Hulst?

Did Hermen Hulst greenlight the Horizon 1 remake/remaster?

• Yes

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

So when was the leaked Horizon Zero Dawn remaster/remake pitched and greenlit?

When Hermen Hulst took over Sony first party from Shawn Layden in late 2019, Horizon 1 was 2.5 years old. Would Layden have really greenlit this game when it was just 2 years old? Or is this a definitely Hermen Hulst era project? I can't help but think its no coincidence that the studio head of Guerrilla takes over 1st party and now HZD is being heavily remastered or even remade.

BTW, Colin Moriarty said on his podcast that he was told about and even shown a screenshot of this Horizon game months ago and he said that it looked like a remake, similar to TLOU Part 1. So we may have to prepare for Sony to announce a $70 remake of this PS4 game.

"This was shared with me a few months ago by someone reliable, this news. And I believed it. But I was, it was not mine to report... I couldn't corroborate it personally... But I was shown what was purported to be a screenshot of it, too. And it seems like its going to be The Last of Us Part 1 situation... But I think its going to be new models, new lighting, all this, which is exactly what The Last of Us Part 1 is, to bring it more in line with The Last of Us Part 2 I suppose, or in this case Horizon Forbidden West."

- Colin Moriarty, on his podcast Sacred Symbols, episode 223

This may be one of the first games we know definitely was pitched to and greenlit by Hermen Hulst. A sign of things to come?

Ugly Alloy incoming.

Look... HZD was a fun-ish game, but no one is sitting around saying "you know, I really want to slog through all that again"

Played it on PS4 and almost platinumed it. I didn't care for those training side quests with all that boring arrow shooting and gliding, etc.
Got it again on PC... and boy does it look much better.
Also, for reference: PC Master Race. We want BBW Alloy? We got it. We want IG Model Alloy? We got it. Etc.
153-1665386961-362828873.png

How it feels to be master race, while also knowing the drawbacks, because you've been into for years.

vivftp

Only if you ignore all the PS3 games remastered for PS4. Sony been doing this for years, ppl just make a big deal about it around here now dunno why.

Because some folks revel in FUD. It's likely a small remaster to modernize the game and add accessibility features to prepare for a new audience who will be introduced to the franchise via the Netflix series.

Sony likes to put their best foot forward when either moving to a new platform or when a large new audience is going to be introduced to their games. That's a large reason for all these remasters/remakes that both PS5 and PC gamers are enjoying.

In the meantime, Guerrilla are large enough to be working on 2 to 3 additional projects.

bender

What time is it?
Only if you ignore all the PS3 games remastered for PS4. Sony been doing this for years, ppl just make a big deal about it around here now dunno why.

Well the obvious would be that PS4 could not play PS3 games but the PS5 can play PS4 games. While I don't find the PS4 remasters necessary, I'm not bothered by it either. Sony's hired a billion porting studios lately so it isn't like they are wasting much time of their main development studios.

solidus12

So when was the leaked Horizon Zero Dawn remaster/remake pitched and greenlit?

When Hermen Hulst took over Sony first party from Shawn Layden in late 2019, Horizon 1 was 2.5 years old. Would Layden have really greenlit this game when it was just 2 years old? Or is this a definitely Hermen Hulst era project? I can't help but think its no coincidence that the studio head of Guerrilla takes over 1st party and now HZD is being heavily remastered or even remade.

BTW, Colin Moriarty said on his podcast that he was told about and even shown a screenshot of this Horizon game months ago and he said that it looked like a remake, similar to TLOU Part 1. So we may have to prepare for Sony to announce a $70 remake of this PS4 game.

- Colin Moriarty, on his podcast Sacred Symbols, episode 223

This may be one of the first games we know definitely was pitched to and greenlit by Hermen Hulst. A sign of things to come?
Didn't Colin say that there will be a Bloodborne sequel/remake he heard about through the "grapevine" ??

...All of them ? Pretty sure the only Sony's Ps3 games to have a Ps4 remaster has been the Unchrted trilogy and GOW and it was a very different situation because Ps4 couldn't play Ps3 game so you need some sort of port to make them accessable. This is no longer true for Ps5, and that's the reason why these upport feel largely unnecessary

ParaSeoul

Played it on PS4 and almost platinumed it. I didn't care for those training side quests with all that boring arrow shooting and gliding, etc.
Got it again on PC... and boy does it look much better.
Also, for reference: PC Master Race. We want BBW Alloy? We got it. We want IG Model Alloy? We got it. Etc.
153-1665386961-362828873.png

How it feels to be master race, while also knowing the drawbacks, because you've been into for years.
This post is extremely embarrassing. I can only imagine the insecure people who call themselves the master race,let alone people that call themselves that based on what they play video games on.

Last edited:
Also, Colin and his two co-host are kind of douche bags. I’ve watched a couple eps over the last few weeks and its the same bitch ass whining over and over again, like sony is personally out to make their lives miserable.

They actually said god of war would score in the low to mid 80’s lol. Like whats the point of listening to such a cynical podcast. At least they know their audience

Last edited:
This post is everything wrong with the world. I can only imagine the insecure people who call themselves the master race,let alone people that call themselves that based on what they play video games on.
Everything wrong with the world? Hahaha. You have such a limited fucking view of things and use the wrong word to describe certain things, as well. You do you, though.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Didn't Colin say that there will be a Bloodborne sequel/remake he heard about through the "grapevine" ??
He has said he's heard from various people conflicting reports about Bluepoint and Bloodborne.

He also said he had been told about Wolverine before it was announced but didn't believe it lol. He's leaked Ratchet PS5, Demon's Souls remake, and more. He even recently got sent a takedown request from Square Enix for a leaked casting doc for the next Tomb Raider game.

Last edited:

ZehDon

The thing is: PS3 games were remastered for PS4 because PS3 backwards compatibility wasn't possible, due to the differences in fundamental system hardware. Re-releases make sense, and the sugar on that bitter pill were the presentation upgrades.

According to system architect Mark Cerny, the PS5 has hardware level backwards compatibility with PS4. So, why can't they simply patch the existing game to take advantage of the new hardware, when we've already seen them doing this for certain titles? Simple: money. Remastering barely-old games and selling them as new full priced titles is an easy way for Sony to fleece its diehards, knowing full well they'll defend the practice. The question I want answered is: how does Sony pick the titles it's going to remaster? These re-releases are cash grabs, plain and simple: are they picking titles whose cost of remaster is basically nothing?

Vick

Gold Member
When he saw Forbidden West having facial mocap for every single character in every single situation, making it impossible to come back to this:

ha3ODMH.gif

P.S. Everytime someone types "Alloy", usually before a completely detached from reality rant:

icegif-1394.gif

Like dude, you're posing as a savior of this character from the evil devs who don't want you to feel attracted to her:

gSB7ARS.png

ij2cAtX.png

sgvJRJE.png

f0Y7CxR.png

aBJhpxl.png

50jfLEm.png

31GpYGe.png

QbPqK8h.png

vuy25Fo.png

At least get her fucking name right.

When he saw Forbidden West having facial mocap for every single character in every single situation, making it impossible to come back to this:

ha3ODMH.gif

P.S. Everytime someone types "Alloy", usually before a completely detached from reality rant:

icegif-1394.gif

Like dude, you're posing as a savior of this character from the evil devs who don't want you to feel attracted to her:

gSB7ARS.png

ij2cAtX.png

sgvJRJE.png

f0Y7CxR.png

aBJhpxl.png

50jfLEm.png

31GpYGe.png

QbPqK8h.png

vuy25Fo.png

Aloy is hot and im tired of pretending she’s not

ha3ODMH.gif

icegif-1394.gif

gSB7ARS.png

ij2cAtX.png

sgvJRJE.png

f0Y7CxR.png

aBJhpxl.png

50jfLEm.png

31GpYGe.png

QbPqK8h.png

vuy25Fo.png

This HAS to be Forbidden West, right? They did her tits, well. I wonder who modeled for them??

Ugly Alloy incoming.

Look... HZD was a fun-ish game, but no one is sitting around saying "you know, I really want to slog through all that again"
You don’t have to.

The reaction to these remake/remasters is weird to me because it’s not like you have to buy it lol.

If your new to the PS brand or never played the first game this will give you an option to play a next gen edition of the game or you can save money and just play the PS4 edition. I am not sure why that is a issue.

Sony is just giving newcomers options and I am sure new games will still be released so nothing is loss by doing these remasters. I can’t imagine that these remasters require a lot of time or effort compared to making brand new games so i don’t think this impacts the work on new games.

Last edited:

Three

That possible leak gave us info on
  • An Unreal 5 vehicle destruction game codenamed Redstar for PS5
  • Horizon Online for PC/PS5
  • A game codenamed Camden for PC/PS5
  • Two survival horror games on decima and unreal 5
And yet all we seem to talk about is the remaster and how "ugly" Aloy is going to be in it.

Three

According to system architect Mark Cerny, the PS5 has hardware level backwards compatibility with PS4. So, why can't they simply patch the existing game to take advantage of the new hardware, when we've already seen them doing this for certain titles? Simple: money. Remastering barely-old games and selling them as new full priced titles is an easy way for Sony to fleece its diehards, knowing full well they'll defend the practice. The question I want answered is: how does Sony pick the titles it's going to remaster? These re-releases are cash grabs, plain and simple: are they picking titles whose cost of remaster is basically nothing?
There is already a free Horizon Zero Dawn patch for PS5:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...o-dawns-60fps-ps5-upgrade-is-nigh-on-flawless

This is just people being butthurt for things simply existing.

Last edited:

Aenima

The thing is: PS3 games were remastered for PS4 because PS3 backwards compatibility wasn't possible, due to the differences in fundamental system hardware. Re-releases make sense, and the sugar on that bitter pill were the presentation upgrades.

They released a free PS5 patch for Horizon. Now they gonna do a remaster. Ppl can just ignore the remasters the same way i ignored all the PS3 to PS4 remasters, and still got them all free from PS+.

Ppl just bitching for the sake of bitching. If you already played the game and feel its an unessessary cash grab, ignore it. Its not gonna make them stop doing what they have been doing since the PS4 gen, and more resmasters will keep popping from Sony and 3rd parties as well.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but is Forbidden West worth playing through for someone who didn’t really care for the first game? If not, I’ll sell it off and buy Spider-Man instead.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Because there are lots of games that need the remaster/port treatment more. HZD is an amazing looking game with high res/framerate patch on the PS5. Yeah faces look odd in cutscenes. but nothing to worry about

How about using those man-hours in remastering Bloodborne for PS5/PC? Or other IPs like killzone, infamous, resistance, ratchet and clank, team ico games, dreams, sly Cooper, Jak and daxter, motorstorm, twisted metal...

Modern PS higher ups believe the company started once HQ was set in California. Leaving their back catalog from 1994 through the early ps4 days stranded on a streaming service that is bound to fail.

Last edited:

Three

Slightly off topic but is Forbidden West worth playing through for someone who didn’t really care for the first game? If not, I’ll sell it off and buy Spider-Man instead.
If you didn’t care for the first game then I'm not sure you will care for the second. It's one of the best looking PS5 games though.

ZehDon

... This is just people being butthurt for things simply existing.
Yeah, similar to when people are "butthurt" about optional microtransactions and optional day one DLC: I see a trend I don't particularly like, so I voice my opinion. When companies like 4A and CDPR release next-gen patches that significantly overhaul the game for more powerful hardware for free, Sony's AUD$125.00 cash grabs don't sit all that well with me. You're on a discussion forum - what did you expect people to post?

Warablo

Can we agree this is a lazy way of re releasing an old game at $70? It's not even a old game.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
All game companies have been doing this for years.
But they was just called them ports without the fancy marketing.
And they wasn't budget releases either.
They too had a new game price tag slapped on them.
If you look you probably find a port that by today's standards is a Remake (TLOU style, not RE2)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

All game companies have been doing this for years.
But they was just called them ports without the fancy marketing.
If you look you probably find a port that by today's standards is a Remake (TLOU style, not RE2)
No Part 1 was a legit remake. They remade the assets.

And RE2 is more than a remake, its a new game and reimagining, according to Capcom.

JackSparr0w

Banned
This post is extremely embarrassing. I can only imagine the insecure people who call themselves the master race,let alone people that call themselves that based on what they play video games on.
Its less embarrassing than someone that wants to throw $1000 on a 4060 equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom