• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington authorizes the killing of an entire wolf pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A link to the article.

A pack of wolves will pay the ultimate price for feeding on the wrong prey.

Washington state wildlife biologists are now authorized to kill a wolf pack in Profanity Peak in Ferry County, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) said in a statement Friday. The pack had at least 11 members – six adults and five pups.

The wolves have reportedly been feeding on cattle in a grazing area. Biologists confirmed that one injured calf was hurt by wolves and they believe that two more calves were killed by the pack. On Aug. 3, the WDFW authorized a partial removal of the pack after finding five cows injured or dead, KREM-TV reports. Two days later, two female wolves were shot and the cow attacks stopped. They have since resumed.

"We said we would restart this operation if there was another wolf attack, and now we have three," said Donny Martorello, WDFW wolf policy lead, said in the statement. "The department is committed to wolf recovery, but we also have a shared responsibility to protect livestock from repeated depredation by wolves."

"We are kindly asking for a little space and understanding so we can maintain the highest level of safety for the public, the staff and our producers," Martorello added to KREM.

Washington state Sen. Kevin Ranker expressed concern over the measure."This is extreme," he told KREM. "I was told that removal of half the pack would make a difference, and now we're being told they are going to remove the entire pack? They haven't implemented their first plan."

The overall wolf population in Washington has increased: Since 2008, the confirmed population has grown from two wolves in one pack to at least 90 wolves across 19 packs.

Betty

Banned
I mean it's terrible it's come to this, but the cattle are someone's livelihood, allowing it to continue would be just as bad.

But it's sad that it has to happen this way.

Toxi

Banned
"We said we would restart this operation if there was another wolf attack, and now we have three," said Donny Martorello, WDFW wolf policy lead, said in the statement. "The department is committed to wolf recovery, but we also have a shared responsibility to protect livestock from repeated depredation by wolves."
Conservationists tend to be pragmatic. Killing the pack is sad, but it's necessary to have ranchers' trust if you want wolves to continue living in Washington.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm a bit mixed on this one since I worry that this continues and worse escalates because a couple ranchers lose some calves. Most of them barely seem to tolerate wolves despite the huge multitude of positives they provide the natural world from existing. Most places need an apex predator that the wolf packs provide, quite literally changes the landscape from them being around.

Hell I kind of wish they'd reintroduce them in the North East with the serious dear overpopulation problems.

The overall wolf population in Washington has increased: Since 2008, the confirmed population has grown from two wolves in one pack to at least 90 wolves across 19 packs.

Am I reading this incorrectly? So 90 wolves in the entire state is good enough to kill to a pack? What???

It's always been tricky. For a diverse and stable ecosystem you want to preserve natural predators, otherwise you have to lean too heavily on hunting licenses to control deer populations, not to mention the inherent value of just having those natural predators thrive. But at the same time you need to keep it safe for the human population, because there's so much risk involved when wolves and cougars start wandering into suburbia.

Ok, but, seriously: 90 wolves? In the entire state? I don't get it. That's considered a normal population? Washington is 70,000 square miles. I know not all of it is habitable to wolves but come on.

Toxi

Banned
so they are going to kill off wild animals to preserve over-populated domestic mutant cattle?
They're doing it so they can actually keep the wolf recovery program going. The biggest resistance for the repopulation of wolves is from ranchers, and the program promised they would cooperate with them.

Lace

Ok, but, seriously: 90 wolves? In the entire state? I don't get it. That's considered a normal population? Washington is 70,000 square miles. I know not all of it is habitable to wolves but come on.
In certain states all you really need are two.

;>

I understand the need to remove the wolves but I hope there is a good reason why relocation isn't possible.

A single pack can require up to 500 square miles of land. There are always fewer predators than prey, unless you're human but that's only enabled by agriculture. If all of Washington was wild and covered in prey, the theoretical max it could support is like 140 wolf packs, but that's far from the case. 19 being too many doesn't seem that crazy, but I do think they might be overreacting here.

Bass260

They needed to find a compromise between the farmers and WDFW. The current plan is poorly thought out - there's absolutely no reason to eliminate the whole pack. It looks like pressure from the livestock farmers has pushed through.

I mean it's terrible it's come to this, but the cattle are someone's livelihood, allowing it to continue would be just as bad.

that's very debatable, less meat would be better for the environment. the ranchers need to explain why it's the wolves fault and not the ranchers fault for bringing cows to wolf territory. also why is it the job of the government to prop up these ranchers if their business fails? businesses fail all the time. it's natural.

It's always been tricky. For a diverse and stable ecosystem you want to preserve natural predators, otherwise you have to lean too heavily on hunting licenses to control deer populations, not to mention the inherent value of just having those natural predators thrive. But at the same time you need to keep it safe for the human population, because there's so much risk involved when wolves and cougars start wandering into suburbia.

well since no people were killed and attacks are very rare despite what news stories try to make you believe I'd say that's a weak argument.

Media

Can't problematic wolves be relocated to some place far away from humans?

This is what I wish would happen. Reintroduce them somewhere way way out in the wild with a huge deer population.

Likely more expensive than just shooting them though :(

also why is it the job of the government to prop up these ranchers if their business fails? businesses fail all the time. it's natural.

If you want it to be without government involvement, the wolves would be extinct because it'd be legal for the ranchers to exterminate them. But it's not legal for them to do that, because allowing the wolf population to become extinct isn't cool, so their recourse is to air their grievances to the government and have the wildlife department decide what solution is appropriate.

well since no people were killed and attacks are very rare despite what news stories try to make you believe I'd say that's a weak argument.

I am speaking about the overall concept of conservation. They're only rare because we've only recently started protecting predators and trying to cultivate a population rebound. They're only rare because we shot the shit out of them before and reduced the size of their habitat.

Bass260

This is what I wish would happen. Reintroduce them somewhere way way out in the wild with a huge deer population.

Likely more expensive than just shooting them though :(

There unfortunately isn't much incentive on their end. The only reason they have to act now is because livestock farmers are demanding immediate action versus long-term actions (like relocation) that provide benefits.

It's a real shame that we can't protect our natural ecosystems in more productive ways.

More cows get fucked up in a single second in America than one wolf pack killing 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its a bit off topic but the reason wolves are so damned important for the natural environment. They can change the very enviroment around them by balancing out the natural order of things that was upset when they were killed off. Its some truly amazing stuff.

How Wolves Change Rivers

darscot

Like man is desperate for cows fuck this cows are food. The US killing wolves is a disgrace. How many are even left in existence in the US?

Bass260

Its a bit off topic but the reason wolves are so damned important for the natural environment. They can change the very enviroment around them by balancing out the natural order of things that was upset when they were killed off. Its some truly amazing stuff.

How Wolves Change Rivers

It's incredible how nature regulates itself. Any of our meddling should be kept to an absolute minimum.

If you want it to be without government involvement, the wolves would be extinct because it'd be legal for the ranchers to exterminate them. But it's not legal for them to do that, because allowing the wolf population to become extinct isn't cool, so their recourse is to air their grievances to the government and have the wildlife department decide what solution is appropriate.

I am speaking about the overall concept of conservation. They're only rare because we've only recently started protecting predators and trying to cultivate a population rebound. They're only rare because we shot the shit out of them before and reduced the size of their habitat.

extermination isn't a solution. at all. what happens if all wolf packs attack rancher's cows then? the representation is one sided as Fish and Wildlife seems to lean more towards ranchers instead of coming up with more thought out and creative solutions than "well, guess we gotta kill 'em 'cause the rancher said so" I mean, who's in charge here?

this is equal to that dumb Australian program of culling sharks after seven people got attacked in three years. seven. and it didn't make a difference in the end. prevention and avoidance is the better option. there's a wealth of non-lethal that they aren't willing to pursue because it's hard and they are in the pockets of big ranchers anyway. it's a damn shame.
as for your last point, animal attacks have and always will be rare (unless you went back 50,000 years) mostly because we aren't on most animals menu. however, more dumb human actions get more wildlife killed than the other way around.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/animals-attack-humans-study_us_56b40ed2e4b01d80b245c858

zashga

that's very debatable, less meat would be better for the environment. the ranchers need to explain why it's the wolves fault and not the ranchers fault for bringing cows to wolf territory. also why is it the job of the government to prop up these ranchers if their business fails? businesses fail all the time. it's natural.

I don't think you understand why the government is intervening here. It's not to save the ranchers from the wolves; it's to save at least some wolves from the ranchers. That's why there are so few wolves in the first place: people killed almost all of them to for their own self interest. The only way wolves can make a comeback is if we can get people to agree to not just kill them as a matter of course. Part of that involves assuaging ranchers so they don't take matters into their own hands.

IvanJ

Banned
Who gives a damn about some wolves. If they are attacking cattle, they could attack people also. Why risk that possibility, it's better to get rid of them.

They authorized the killing of 12.25% of their entire state's wolf population?

Really? With those kind of numbers I would've expected them to try and move the population but maybe that's extremely difficult with wolves

Chichikov

Conservationists tend to be pragmatic. Killing the pack is sad, but it's necessary to have ranchers' trust if you want wolves to continue living in Washington.
Yeah.
While I loves wolves (I got to see some gray wolves in Yellowstone and damn, they are majestic beasts) and I hate to see them being killed, I also tend to trust state officials on that.
Yeah, it should be reviewed and scrutinized, by experts I would hope (which I am certainly not) but as a whole, Washington state efforts to bring back a sustainable wolf population has been successful, if a bit slow.

Wolves can still be contentious in the west, and it's important we manage it right. You can argue that politics should not factor into it, but whether we want it or not, it does. And you really don't want to end up like Montana or Idaho on this issue.
Wolves have been completely eradicated from Washington state in the early 20th century, only recently they have started to come back. These things take time, and while I would definitely want it to get better quicker, it looks like we're on a sustainable path here.

Toxi

Banned
extermination isn't a solution. at all. what happens if all wolf packs attack rancher's cows then? the representation is one sided as Fish and Wildlife seems to lean more towards ranchers instead of coming up with more thought out and creative solutions than "well, guess we gotta kill 'em 'cause the rancher said so" I mean, who's in charge here?
One of the important parts of the program is preventing that from happening.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How many are even left in existence in the US?

From wiki:

The United States as a whole has up to 9,000 wolves, which are increasing in number in all their ranges. Wolf recovery has been so successful that the United States Fish & Wildlife Service removed the western gray wolf from the federal endangered species list on March 28, 2008. Due to the controversy over wolf shootings, a coalition of environmental groups sued the federal government to put the gray wolf back on the Endangered Species list. On July 18, 2008, a federal judge ruled in favor of renewed endangered species protection. Alaska has a stable population of 6,000-7,000 wolves, which are legally hunted from August to April as a big game species. Minnesota has a population of 2,900 wolves, which are legally protected, though they are occasionally culled for depredation control. Minnesota has been granted complete control over its wolf population, and its wolf management plan establishes a minimum population of 1,600 wolves. In 2008 both Wisconsin and Michigan each had healthy populations of 600 wolves, in Michigan a spring count of 687 wolves in 2011 had decreased to 658 in 2013. On December 19, 2014, all wolves in states of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota became protected again under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. The Northern Rocky Mountain states (Wyoming, Idaho and Montana) have an approximate population of 1,657 wolves in 282 packs (including 85 breeding pairs). Two gray wolves were captured in north-central Washington state in July 2008, one of which was a nursing female. This is the first evidence of reproducing wolves in the state since the 1930s. As of the end of 2014, Washington has at least 68 wolves in 16 packs with 5 breeding pairs.

In northeast Oregon, also in July 2008, wolf howls were heard by biologists who identified at least 2 adults and 2 pups. This was the first confirmed breeding pair in Oregon. By December 2011, Oregon's gray wolf population had grown to 24. One of the Oregon gray wolves, known as OR-7, traveled more than 700 miles (1,100 km) to the Klamath Basin and crossed the border into California. Wolf OR-7 became the first wolf west of the Cascades in Oregon since the last bounty was claimed in 1947. Oregon's wolf population increased to 77 wolves in 15 packs with 8 breeding pairs as of the end of 2015. As a result, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife proposed to delist wolves from their protected species list. On January 14, 2009, the United States Department of the Interior removed the Canadian gray wolf from the Endangered Species List in every American state except Wyoming. This move was blocked by lawsuits filed by conservation groups, but was successfully delisted on April 15, 2011 by the US Congress as part of a budget bill. On August 31, 2012, Governor Matt Mead of Wyoming announced that wolves were no longer on the endangered species list in the state of Wyoming; therefore, they no longer need special protections from the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The wolf population in Wyoming is then controlled by the state. But on September 23, 2014, wolves in Wyoming are again listed as nonessential experimental population under the Endangered Species Act.

Overall, as of the end of 2014, the Northwestern United States, with the exception of Alaska, has an estimated population of 1,802 wolves.

Cat Party

Can't problematic wolves be relocated to some place far away from humans?

They're wolves. They cover an insane amount of territory. They will always be near people and livestock.

This is always going to be a tough issue for our society to deal with, because people want wolves to come back, but the people who live where the wolves live don't want their livestock, their pets, or themselves killed or maimed by wolves. Where's the room for compromise?

Dankul

Not in my backyard! The situation is more complicated than some are making it out to be. Most of the current generation of ranchers were there before the wolves started repopulating the area again. How many of you would give up your property to let whatever wildlife native to your area reclaim its land? Its sad but at least the population is still rising and the program is working.

I don't see why an entire animal pack should be put down for simply doing what is in their nature. I'm not seeing why these wolves couldn't be relocated? There are already millions of cattle hopped up on steroids all over this planet and an animal like Wolves are ok to but put down because they killed a few of them?

We are fucking up this entire planet and all of its ecosystems

Nope I refuse to let the meat and dairy industry further fuck up the ecosystem and species of animal just so they can keep, torture, and inhumanely slaughter the cattle for profit gain.

There is no excuse out of this one guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom