• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 1 Online Multiplayer is still so much fun (especially if you're a fan of stealth gameplay)

June

Specifically I'm talking about the online mode invasion mode in which you either have to find another player or another player has to find you.

(How it works is that a small section of the open world map becomes the play area and this section shrinks and shrinks until you either find the other player or the timer runs out and you lose. Matches last only a few minutes. So it's basically hide and seek, but with the additional technology aspect of Watch Dogs).

It's so much fun trying to blend in with the NPCs, whether on foot or in a car, then quickly taking cover in places if the seeker is getting too close, and then watching as they frantically try and scan the faces of all the NPCs as the timer runs out. You feel like a total boss if you remain untroubled for the match, watching your seeker trying to find you for 5 minutes to no avail like a puppet on a string. Or, as the seeker yourself, taking control of CCTV cameras to get a better a view of the area, trying to catch out the person who is behaving a little differently etc.

Honestly one of the best multiplayer experiences I had this gen. Anyone else love this mode? And the game in general tbh.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

I had no idea that WD1 had a multiplayer mode since I've never played it, but that sounds really really fun. It reminds me of the multiplayer in AC: Brotherhood which was similar in some ways. We need more stealth games, and we need more inventive stealth MP ideas like these.

I absolutely agree. I have only a few specific games that I enjoy playing multiplayer, and watchdogs is one of them because of how unique it is. Having people able to invade your single player game, or invading others single player experience was just so cool. Plus the hide and seek aspect is a super fun type of game as well

June

I had no idea that WD1 had a multiplayer mode since I've never played it, but that sounds really really fun. It reminds me of the multiplayer in AC: Brotherhood which was similar in some ways. We need more stealth games, and we need more inventive stealth MP ideas like these.

There's a handful of multiplayer modes in there, like a racing mode, a 1v1 combat mode, and a couple others I think. The invasion one I find to be the best by far though, at least for a stealth gameplay lover like myself.

June

I absolutely agree. I have only a few specific games that I enjoy playing multiplayer, and watchdogs is one of them because of how unique it is. Having people able to invade your single player game, or invading others single player experience was just so cool. Plus the hide and seek aspect is a super fun type of game as well

Yah same, I could probably count on one hand the multiplayer games from this gen that have longevity for me (TLOU, Overwatch, FIFA, Pure Pool, would be some picks). I'm glad to say that everytime I boot up Watch Dogs 1 I still find myself surprised by how much fun this mode is, and the game in general tbh.

Last edited:

Fahdis

This is basically AC Multiplayer but a 1 on 1 minus the shrinking of the map and an escape if you are the one gathering intel. You missed out on AC Brotherhood MP OP, that was literal crack especially with the 4 v 4.

Last edited:

June

This is basically AC Multiplayer but a 1 on 1 minus the shrinking of the map and an escape if you are the one gathering intel. You missed out on AC Brotherhood MP OP, that was literal crack especially with the 4 v 4.

I played a bunch of AC games including that one, but only for their single player. I wasn't aware of this online mode. I'll look up some videos of it, sounds like it would've been fun.

How did you win, was it just first team to find all the other 4 players?

Last edited:

AGRacing

LOVE invasion mode. Unforgivable that Legion launched without it... and as far as I know... still doesn't have it.

I 100% WD and multiplayer was by far the best content in the game. I would just roam about the map and abuse the focus feature that slows down time. When it stopped working, you knew someone was in your game hunting you before they’d even gotten within range of you. Then you could just drive far away and monitor any people following you and snipe them.

Eventually, I got bored with invading people / playing the objective. So instead I’d invade people’s games, hop into a car, and just ram them repeatedly. You wouldn’t kill them with car hits, so then you could get out of range of their shots while they were staggered. Come back when they’re not expecting it and then bam, throw them back on the ground. I’d do this for like 30 mins until I got my victim to rage quit. If they don’t quit, they usually start blowing everything up and eventually end up in a shoot out with the cops. That’s your cue to help the cops out in popping a cap in their ass.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Stroke of genius for sure. Makes you feel extremely paranoid all the time because of the seamless matchmaking, you literally never know if someone is in your game watching you.

GHG

Gold Member
Invading and attempting to blend in and behave like an NPC while the host runs around in a frenzy trying to find you never got old.

SJRB

Gold Member
Abuse the focus feature and it’s pretty easy to know.

I know you can cheese the focus but what's the fun in that?

Come to think of it, this is probably the reason they removed it in all the sequels. Never really understood why they did that but it makes perfect sense.

I know you can cheese the focus but what's the fun in that?

Come to think of it, this is probably the reason they removed it in all the sequels. Never really understood why they did that but it makes perfect sense.
I found it fun because I’d ruin the invader’s fun. They deserved it for thinking they could get my ass.

Hey, at least I’m being honest.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I played a bunch of AC games including that one, but only for their single player. I wasn't aware of this online mode. I'll look up some videos of it, sounds like it would've been fun.

How did you win, was it just first team to find all the other 4 players?

Yes, that's exactly what it was. Only the team had 3 rounds and you would unlock special perks for your character as you leveled up to 50. I think only Brotherhood was the most unique... but after that it became more the samey. 3 was meh... 4 was a mix of both.

Inviusx

It also had a second screen app where you fuck with other players remotely by sending cop cars and helicopters after them from your smart phone. Pretty cool, I miss second screen apps :(

Top Bottom