• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Legion: Click goes inside the post-Brexit game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a world first, BBC Click’s Marc Cieslak has interviewed the creator of Watch Dogs: Legion inside the video game itself.

Developed at Ubisoft’s Toronto Studio, the same technology used to create the game was employed to create an interview which takes place inside a virtual London.

The game imagines a post-Brexit dystopian Britain as an oppressive surveillance state, where the player assumes the role of a hacker intent on bringing down the system by recruiting others to their cause.

In the interview, Marc Cieslak asked creative director Clint Hocking whether using real and divisive political events in a video game would resonate with players.

Code:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-51235819/watch-dogs-legion-click-goes-inside-the-post-brexit-game

Last edited:

EDMIX

Are they serious with that scenario ? They really want it to bomb don't they ?

?? Why would they not talk about that considering it plays into the direct narrative? Sooooo they made a game on Earth, my assumption is certain policy in that exact place on Earth would be, I don't know.....relevant. I mean, why would game literally about a policy to spy on people then not talk about a policy in the very city the game is set in? You'd have to ask how fucking stupid they are IF THEY DIDN'T add it as a topic. This is waaaay too big of a topic to seriously not add to a game, set on Earth, set in a future London, about a policy to spy on folks, after a major, major historic event. That would be like making a game in New York or even a movie or book and make it after 9/11 only to jump thru hoops to then try to avoid reality and pretend it didn't happen. Could you imagine a damn game that was set during the 1940s that basically tried to ignore WWII was happening?

So why ignore this?

RedVIper RedVIper Agreed. If they already have lots of surveillance, it only makes sense in the future they would have more. You can't really have a game about such a policy while also trying to ignore another policy that really happened. It doesn't even make sense. It would be like trying to have a damn film in the United States about this topic and be like "better not bring up the NSA, THAT will make it more believable bro, we don't want to upset anyone" /s lol

Last edited:

kizito

?? Why would they not talk about that considering it plays into the direct narrative? Sooooo they made a game on Earth, my assumption is certain policy in that exact place on Earth would be, I don't know.....relevant. I mean, why would game literally about a policy to spy on people then not talk about a policy in the very city the game is set in? You'd have to ask how fucking stupid they are IF THEY DIDN'T add it as a topic. This is waaaay too big of a topic to seriously not add to a game, set on Earth, set in a future London, about a policy to spy on folks, after a major, major historic event. That would be like making a game in New York or even a movie or book and make it after 9/11 only to jump thru hoops to then try to avoid reality and pretend it didn't happen. Could you imagine a damn game that was set during the 1940s that basically tried to ignore WWII was happening?

So why ignore this?
Because it's always the same angle for these kind of scenarios, "Brexit is bad, end of the freedom, blablabla...". And they present you that as being subversive like, "fight the power", while it is not. I would be more interested in playing a game that would put us in an original perspective than the very safe anti-Brexit leftist politically correct ideology.

Ballthyrm

Because it's always the same angle for these kind of scenarios, "Brexit is bad, end of the freedom, blablabla...". And they present you that as being subversive like, "fight the power", while it is not. I would be more interested in playing a game that would put us in an original perspective than the very safe anti-Brexit leftist politically correct ideology.

I'll be very surprised if they engage in politics at all. It's Ubisoft we are talking about.

We had people mad at the division II remember, and the game just used Washington as background decoration.

After three public votes have shown the majority of Britains are pro Brexit, all econimic signs are pointing to us being far better off outiside the EU, all while the EU itself has become more and more totalitarian and authoritarian with shit like Article 13 (that the UK will not be putting into law), wanting to build an army and banning MEPs from displaying their nations flags, it's really taking the piss to still be painting post Brexit UK as the dystopian, enslaved, rightsless nightmare.

I mean it's genuinely starting to get a bit offensive at this point.

Last edited:
Ties in nicely with

Which has nothing to do wtih Brexit.

If they wanted to do a game set in the UK that deals with the ever more invasive nanny state, while the police ignore real crimes like pedophile rings while prosecuting people for saying politically incorrect facts on social media and putting victims of terrorism on watchlists because they might have developed anti islamic sentiments, then that would at least reflect reality, even if it would still be politically biased.

Instead they're parroting the same fear mongering, far left fantasy, that the mainstream press have been pushing that most people have quite rightly completely rejected because it's total bollocks.

And I say this as someone that voted remain. I did not want ro leave the EU, and I still believe doing so is a massive, MASSIVE risk.

But the people have spoken and I have done the decent, sane thing: listended to the other sides reasons, come to undersrand them and accept them, and will give all I can to make the new reality of my country work, because this is Great Britain, and we can and will succeed despite any odds, with a decency and pride in our individuality that is shared by almost no other nation on Earth.

Last edited:

Kazza

After three public votes have shown the majority of Britains are pro Brexit, all econimic signs are pointing to us being far better off outiside the EU, all while the EU itself has become more and more totalitarian and authoritarian with shit like Article 13 (that the UK will not be putting into law), wanting to build an army and banning MEPs from displaying their nations flags, it's really taking the piss to still be painting post Brexit UK as the dystopian, enslaved, rightsless nightmare.

I mean it's genuinely starting to get a bit offensive at this point.

If you think the whole premise of Watch Dogs is a little ridiculous, then check out this game:

In an alternative Britain where Brexit talks have collapsed, an extreme far-right government has taken power. Citizens of European heritage have been rounded up and exiled. Forced out of your previous life, you find yourself in the midst of a booming gig economy, fighting to scrape by and return to the city you call home.

Not Tonight is a post-Brexit management game, fusing a time-pressure RPG with a politically charged story where every decision matters. Will you join the resistance and fight the regime -- or keep your head down and hope that one day this will all be a distant memory?

• Man the doors of pubs, clubs, festivals and parties, finding work via the BouncR app
  • Check IDs, manage guestlists, and stop revellers from becoming unruly
  • Upgrade your apartment, bouncer and equipment to better prepare yourself for the future
  • Decide what lengths you'll go to in order to survive in a Britain on the verge of collapse

I just think that the basic premise behind these games is so out there as to almost make them become a parodies of anti-Brexit hysteria, rather than actually anti-Brexit. Only a few thousand loud and demented people on Twitter really believe that Brexit is a "fascist" project:

0WjYxgD.png

That said, I could well believe that at least some of the Toronto-based developers really believe it, especially if they only get their news from Twitter and the NYT.

Aside from general pessimism, I'm actually very confident in this game, multiple characters concept is fun and will be the best watch dogs game to date, imho

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This game looks so bad. With Wildlands 2 and now this, Ubi are really tanking.

EDMIX

Who cares? One could argue the same thing if they made a game like "Enemy Of The State". My friend, they must talk about the government, senators, the president, NSA and many matters regarding policy making as its in the damn narrative of the game.

Put it this way, it would be like saying we can't make a game in the UK in general because one could argue " it's always the same angle for these kind of scenarios, "UK is bad, end of the freedom, blablabla..." or we can't make a game about America cause " it's always the same angle for these kind of scenarios, "America is bad, end of the freedom, blablabla..." or we can't make game about Japan cause " it's always the same angle for these kind of scenarios, "Japan is bad, end of the freedom, blablabla..."

Maybe don't play anything that references anything, but we can't just ignore reality cause you getting upset at something. The game is dealing with something regarding policy making, i have no clue why they would then ignore current events in a universe that is relevant to that exact thing.

I think they should be free to create what ever they want without limitation as I have no desire to have games made to make others not get emotionally upset, or to keep others feeling like they need to be in some sort of "safe space" cause they are upset about something.

Play something else then....

Why would they censor their game for you? It makes zero sense, what other medium have you ever seen do something like that? We'd never be able to even have a game like House Of Cards or West Wing or anything like that if someone is going to start getting emotional cause they feel they are um "offended" by something.

Play something else then... very simply choice. The developer has zero reason to remove all things that might offend people as what I've seen, anything seems to offend folks theses days.

Stilton Disco Stilton Disco "Which has nothing to do wtih Brexit" Dude relax, chill, its simply a narrative they are using for a FICTIONAL game. This game was deep in development while Brexit even happened, they added it as it could work to fit in the world to make it more believable referencing it.

"Instead they're parroting the same fear mongering " well yes, ITS A FICTIONAL GAME ABOUT A FAKE FUTURE THAT IS FEARFUL!

You folks take some of this stuff way, waaaaaay too seriously. You don't seem to even understand they are simply using a real life thing to reference in the title to make it more believable. That would be like trying to say in Fallout series with China inferred to be at war with America that leads to the fallout that "Instead they're parroting the same fear mongering " etc. Well....the damn title is about a fearful future.

You folks telling me no one can make anything cause it might offend you guys or something?

Kazza Kazza Not really, I think the team simply uses it because it would be weird not to. The series existed BEFORE Brexit and even this game was being made before that even happened. Our security measures in the United States have increased and privacy has decreased post 9/11, It would be like trying to argue the developers only watch news from 1 side and that is how they made Watchdogs....instead of just understanding its a fictional title that is using a fake fearful future as a backdrop and using relevant current events to make that future more believable. To not talk about those policies or those current events all based on not making a few folks "offended" sounds like it legit trying to neuter developers.

By this logic, we should never have any game based on Earth, I mean who knows where they are getting their news from right? Who knows who they pray to right? Who knows who they voted for right? We don't want to upset or offend everyone so no one make anything that might be a reference of anything?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ties in nicely with

Agreed. Stuff like this too.

So I think they have lots to work with in future titles. Lots of narratives to pick from that seem believable and very Enemy Of The State (as I hope they make a American one next time around)

Top Bottom