• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watchdogs deserves a Remake

SteadyEvo

Hear me out

The gunplay and stealth is head and shoulders above the competition. And by comp I’m talking about GTA. Fire fights are so satisfying and with the addition of hacking I’d say it’s close to 3rd person shooter perfection. The driving was also pretty good.

The mini games. VR. Drinking games. Spying on people. Convoys. The Marioish parkour and coin collection. Spider bot. Name another game with side content that interesting not named Witcher 3. I dare you. Watchdogs kept the open world fresh and exciting.

Unlocking CTOS towers/the map is infinitely more exciting than climbing long necks in Horizon or towers in Breath of the Wild. Love the environmental puzzles. And a few videos of CTOS invading privacy as a reward for completion.

Instead of doubling down on what made the original so great, shooting, driving, stealth and hacking Ubisoft managed to regress in every area. I remember them being better and making fun original games like Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. AC was good early on. Peaking with Ezio and down hill from there.

But yeah, Watchdogs deserves another look and a fresh coat of paint 🎨

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Only if it's rebuilt from the ground up at $70
Animated GIF

HL3.exe

Remaster maybe. I personally found it derivative with bog standard revenge narrative writing, with mechanics and systems that we still see today in modern games.

I feel that there are waaay more Impactful games from the past that actually need a remake to get them new new audiences to understand there reverence. Games like the first Deus Ex, or THIEF.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It was a horrible game, but the original concept was solid. I think the IP is kind of tarnished and certainly muddied at this point though.

ACESHIGH

Banned
We should have got a version without the downgrades. Even if PC mods try to bridge the gap. Something that would run 720p 30 fps on PS4.
Underrated game. We got woke trash with the other 2

Larxia

Watch Dogs 1 was great, I really liked its atmosphere, it was very special and I thought critics were too hard against it only because of the downgrade buzz.
I don't think a "remake" is needed at all though, just PC version with mods is enough.

Matsuchezz

Only if they rebuild the Ai and the physics, and also make everything destructible, and also at a discount for those that already bought it. But they also need to run the project plan to the anti remasters/remake team and need to be approved by them flawlessly. But then it would be a waste of resources where much older games need a true remake. So they better not do anything at all. Because it is a game that nobody wants and nobody is asking for. But it will sell well. And those bastards must word their marketing with no room for misinterpretation.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Someone somewhere out there wants a remake on some game.

Let's make new games that are just as cool. That would be best. No remakes on games unless they're 25 years or older.

Codes 208

Id sooner rather have a remake of The Division. And i didnt even care that much about that destiny clone.

From ubisoft, the games that could really use the remake treatment would either be splinter cell or rayman

Last edited:

zeioIIDX

I enjoyed Watch_Dogs, especially as someone who grew up in Chicago. I've been away from there since 2008 so seeing my hometown digitized in an open-world way was incredible for me. Chicago doesn't get enough love in video games. It was a bit cathartic exploring my city in a video game and recognizing subtle architecture designs, locations, etc. It's corny but I'd play the game anytime I felt homesick and it would be a comfort thing for me lol.

Rivet

No, seriously we don't need another remake. They'll kill gaming with their remakes.

We need creativity, new ideas, new games...

Stop with the remasters and remakes and director's cuts already.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Save yourself $70 and just play it on PC:

That first vid still makes it look like best open world game out there.
No way I am reinstalling uplay or whatever it was...
I downloaded this on ps5.... oh man 4k60 would go a long way

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That first vid still makes it look like best open world game out there.
No way I am reinstalling uplay or whatever it was...
I downloaded this on ps5.... oh man 4k60 would go a long way

Game is extremely impressive, definitely way ahead of its time. Remember that it’s a PS3/360 era game and it can look this amazing with few mods on PC.

I would say it’s way worth installing uPlay. Or just buy it on Steam and crack it.

Dark, serious story feels super fresh in 2022. Way more than when it was first released.

Valedix

The gameplay reveal for this game was still one of my favourites of E3 ever. Still pissed at Ubisoft for the downgrade.

Fbh

Or they could, you know, make a new Watch Dogs that goes back to a similar style of the original, fixes some of the issues and tells a better story with more engaging characters.
There's no need to remake everything.

But yeah I thought Watchdogs 1 was pretty decent. They could have done more with the hacking, and the story sucked. But the actual combat was miles better than GTAV, as was the mission and level design (during missions, GTAV has the more fun world otherwise)

Last edited:
This game was so bad I sold my PC when I played it and quit gaming for a while.

What a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I think the sequel was just so much better. Everyone should just play that instead. What an amazing ride Watch Dogs 2 was it really surprised me considering I hated the first game.

I played it after playing Watch Dogs 2, which I ended up loving.

Surprisingly, not as bad as everyone made it out to be, some of the gameplay mechanics that are missing in WD2 for some reason are fantastic and fun to use. I don't recall any of the story, but I don't recall being particularly invested in it anyway. Worth a try, it's usually on sale for $5 somewhere.

Watch-Underscore-Dogs deserves a free apology patch on PC with all the E3 effects and visuals restored.
It doesn't matter anymore. Those E3 graphics and effects have finally aged.

SsVd.gif

Watch-Dogs-Gif-video-games-33387468-500-281.gif

They were aiming way too high back then but it was admirable. I think Legion finally hit that WD1 E3 target and went beyond it.

dd39f7cc122ab80a144f289436480ddcb32d4b34.gif

rijm1dpgn9w51.gif

People love to give Watch Dogs a lot of shit. The concept is great and yeah Ubisoft could do better in their execution but the potential is there just like how they've butchered The Division.

Pay attention to the last section of the video with the NPC behavior. It's these little details that make the open world more enjoyable and more importantly believable.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Haven't you heard?....Ubisoft is Titanic-ing.
Not surprised. They quit being creative and milked the hell out of their once successful franchises.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Let fans miss a great game while working on something new. By the time a sequel comes around there’s a ton of feedback to work with and the time away should refresh and energize the team.

So many games desperately need "4k"/60 fps updates and Watch Dogs is one of them.

I just don't understand why
People love to give Watch Dogs a lot of shit. The concept is great and yeah Ubisoft could do better in their execution but the potential is there just like how they've butchered The Division.

Pay attention to the last section of the video with the NPC behavior. It's these little details that make the open world more enjoyable and more importantly believable.

Watch Dogs 1 was such a solid open world game that is jam-packed with content a d activities. They put more time and effort into that than WD 2 and especially Legion. It's not perfect by any stretch and could be classified as generic for an open world but what it does it does well and it does a lot.

It's unforgivable though that Ubisoft hasn't updated it for 4k/60 on console by now especially considering the downgrade still looms over this and they had the nerve to use the "WD 1 Complete Edition" as bait to sell Legions expansion pass but that "complete efition" is only 1080p/30 even though it released after the next gen consoles came out.

Ubi pulled the same shit with Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon "classic" editions. Come on Ubi you really couldn't have at least updated them for dynamic 4k/60 for next gen?

Imagine releasing a game in 22 after the next gem is out at 1080p/30 fps ..

Shifty

Jesus Christ.

You know that audio thing where they combine hundreds of recordings of the same quiet room until it's an unrecognizable mess of innate harmonics?

That's where the industry is going at this rate. An incoherent blob of barely recognizeable repeated ideas, indefinitely reflecting back on themselves until all that's left is the ear-splitting screech of feedback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom