• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wave of criticism as Meta's Metaverse looks like shite

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
OMFG I have seen these pictures all day and just thought it was some new meme from one of those weird Chinese youtube videos made to abuse the algorithms...

It's just sunk in what this is and I can't stop laughing, I keep going from a giggling fit to strait up belly laughter like an insane person, jesus christ this makes my day.

Edit: I am crying right now, this is too fucking funny, how the hell am I supposed to get to sleep? My belly hurts from all the laughing jesus.

Mr. Burns, is that you?

mr-burns-laughing.gif

Last edited:

mrqs

it really makes you wonder what those billions were actually being spent on...
The whole budget isn't merely for Horizon Worlds. All those billions are investments in VR/AR tech, from software to hardware. Meta is targetting 5-10 years from now and is doing research all by themselves to find the most viable road.

Horizon Worlds looks silly but it's just a small section of the whole picture. Horizon Worlds has been in development since before Facebook's change to Meta. They sure are working on a 2.0 version and will continue to improve.

The hate against Meta is some of the most nonsensical hate I've ever seen. I don't even particularly like them, but I'm astonished by so many baseless claims against them. They're just like every other social media company. Same security and privacy problems as everyone else. Same insane levels of investment as everyone else.

Belthazar

I don't see what the appeal to the general consumer is supposed to be tbh... What are people supposed to do in there that would justify spending time with something strapped on their head? IMO people will rather spend time doing things in real life.

Wonko_C

I don't see what the appeal to the general consumer is supposed to be tbh... What are people supposed to do in there that would justify spending time with something strapped on their head? IMO people will rather spend time doing things in real life.
It's intended for when you can't do them IRL, when things such as distance, pandemics, etc.

Meh it's better for them to focus on the underlying stuff (like getting animations of head movements, gesticulations to look right) before they get too bogged down with the graphics anyway. People just don't like Zuckerberg because he sips his water too slowly for their liking.
Sipping Mark Zuckerberg GIF
Water Bottle Facebook GIF
Lol, he’s gotta be doing this on purpose, knowing the camera is on him for some people to be making gifs and memes about this.

Tams

Meh it's better for them to focus on the underlying stuff (like getting animations of head movements, gesticulations to look right) before they get too bogged down with the graphics anyway. People just don't like Zuckerberg because he sips his water too slowly for their liking.
You think that his sipping of water is the main issue people actual have with him?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Metaverse is such a catastrophically dumb waste of time and resources but these idiots keep pouring billions of dollars into this shit like it’s the second coming of Christ.
It's a misunderstood term and concept. Metaverses aren't a waste of time, but they aren't going to be made by big corporations, and they need to start with compelling content. It's the same as the Internet itself; the protocols existed for a long time, as did the hardware, but it wasn't until people started building websites people wanted to go to.

Whatever framework Meta is building could be genuinely interesting, but Horizons itself is fairly lame. Meta is spending too much time in functionality and architecture and not enough time on actual content.

With a metaverse, the idea is that eventually users, and other people on the platform will be generating the compelling content but you can't just build a platform and wait for them to come. You need content first.

That's why stuff like Rec Room, VRChat, and even Roblox are further along. Although even those are pretty primitive.

I wish they would just sell Ready at Dawn so they can have another shot at an AAA. I think they are smart to bet on VR but they are terribly suited for it.

Last edited:

Fbh

can someone explain to me what this is

is it literally supposed to be like ready player one?

From my understanding and the way they are describing it...sort of.
It's a mix of social media and a virtual "hangout".

So instead of having a work meeting over zoom or everyone having to drive to the office you'll meet in a virtual office
Or you want to watch a movie with friends who live in another city? You hang out in a virtual living room or cinema
Or instead of calling your parents you meet with them in a virtual cafe in Paris
Or instead of driving to Ikea you just visit their virtual store, choose your furniture and have it sent to you.

Of course the biggest hurdle is still tech. Vr is still expensive, a bit clunky and inconvenient. The whole illusion of hanging out with others in a virtual place is broken when they look like a Mii and you're hanging out in an early Ps3 looking environment.

Last edited:
Not even fan of dude but he’s clearly showing a WIP as it’s being built. Shame on this website of all places not being able to sideline their bias to notice this rather simple point.

Wonko_C

That was a training/practice application using VR/AR, which is a completely different proposition than what Facebook is trying to sell with the metaverse... and you know it.
I should've clarified I'm looking beyond Meta's "Metaverse". I'm just happy they're trying to get things moving but I know they won't be the first nor last until we get the real thing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wonder where is this content on Oculus Quest 2? Because it's pretty barren when it comes to content, which I don't supply from my PC...

Jaybe

Maybe Microsoft’s version will be better

When Microsoft bought Activision Blizzardfor almost $70 billion last month, the tech giant’s CEO Satya Nadella was quick to bring up the metaverse in his comments. “In gaming, we see the metaverse as a collection of communities and individual identities anchored in strong content franchises accessible on every device,” Nadella said. The company also noted the deal would “provide building blocks for the metaverse” in its statement.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Mr. Burns, is that you?

mr-burns-laughing.gif

Honestly pretty much, I actually did keep bursting out laughing when in the shower and trying to get to sleep... just that fucking dead eyed mii picture kept popping into my head staring at me and then the words "10 billion dollars" kept appearing in my head, causing me to break into hysterical laughter.

Last edited:
He's not sipping, that's how he breaths.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The internet looked like shit when it was new-ish. Remember Geocities?

The day we all stop looking down at our mobile phones can't come soon enough. Our neck and back will thank us.

The internet has regressed terribly since web pages have been optimized for mobile. The frames of geocities are back.

mxbison

I don't know why everyone wants this thing to fail.

People are so weird when it comes to AR/VR in general. It's really cool tech, don't you want it to get better and more mainstream?

Cyberpunkd

Metaverse is such a catastrophically dumb waste of time and resources but these idiots keep pouring billions of dollars into this shit like it’s the second coming of Christ.

As long as that shit looks like it’s rendered on a fucking Gameboy Color no one is going to give a fuck, let alone spend a truckload of money like those false prophets want you to believe.
Remember when self driving cars were the future and Uber was going to do them and put everyone out of a job?

This is the same thing. The hubris of tech bros is insane.

Cyberpunkd

I don't know why everyone wants this thing to fail.

People are so weird when it comes to AR/VR in general. It's really cool tech, don't you want it to get better and more mainstream?
First question:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

It doesn’t provide and qualitative improvement what we already have. It’s a novelty.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yes, yes I planned to use this product. Totally. The only thing stopping me are these graphics. Yes, that's all. I would be using this otherwise. Totally.

mxbison

First question:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

It doesn’t provide and qualitative improvement what we already have. It’s a novelty.

They are investing billions into VR, it will bring the tech forward.

This thing failing is bad for VR, but people hate Facebook so much that they just want everything to crash and burn.

Top Bottom