• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAY TO EARLY speculation thread: Now that GTA6 has been officially announced, do you think it will be good?

How good do you feel GTA 6 will do?

• The Best in the series

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Not the best in the series, but a great game

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Good - but not great

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Forgettable / average for a GTA title

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Not good - Rockstar has lost it's touch

Votes: 19 25.7%

• Total voters

0neAnd0nly

YES, this is a way too early speculation thread.

YES, we have no info outside of "it's officially in development".

I believe it is a fun question to speculate on however, because for the first time in their modern take-over of gaming (20+ years at the top), Rockstar is riddled with changes and adversity they didn't face prior. Some of these are as follows;

• Rockstar has lost a host of important players, including Dan Houser, who were instrumental in building the empire that is R* and the icon that is GTA
  • Rockstar hasn't released a GTA game in nearly a decade
  • Rockstar has had it's first major multiplayer game (as in, better received than it's single player version) - a GaaS at that, GTA5 Online, that has eclipsed the success of it's single player beyond what was likely expected
  • The Social landscape of the USA (and even world abroad) has changed greatly in the last decade
  • Rockstar took heat for development / labor practices, with some infighting occurring
So with all that in mind, a few easy to form questions arise as well as some more nuanced;
  • Can Rockstar still make a good single player GTA game?
  • How can they beat GTA5?
  • Will Rockstar create / write a story without boundaries or let the social landscape scare them into changing their writing and ideas?
  • Did Dan Houser have any part of writing the script prior to leaving?
  • How will they parody current events with how long game development is today?
  • How far along do you think the game truly is?
  • Will this game focus, for the first time ever, on multiplayer first and single player as the second aspect?
Among many other questions or speculations.

It's hard to deny, even if not a fan of GTA (I am personally not), it's importance to gaming and the industry. So I feel like everybody can have an opinion here.

So what say you, GAF?

0neAnd0nly

So, to answer my own thread -

Without any info at all, but considering what has occurred within Rockstar Games since the last GTA, I don't have a ton of faith that GTA6 will be what many fans of the series want.

I think Rockstar will cave into the fold of mainstream views and not push the boundaries. I think they will suffer due to the power staff members have today by using game journalism as their driving force to force publishers / dev companies to fold to their desires. I question if many individual devs today actually have creative ambition or drive to put out such a massive single player production.

I tend to think that while the game will certainly receive the Rockstar / GTA bump and be critically well received, that long time fans / mature audiences will end up being disappointed. Especially since the presumed GaaS counterpart will take at least equal focus and in reality... probably a larger focus.

What say you guys?

Edit: I still think that the game will be good. The money R* has, the resources and the quality alone should make it so. I don't think it will be at the top though (when considered for impact), and I am unsure if it will even be "great".

Last edited:

ckaneo

GTA 5 is one of the worst written games of all time, so I honestly dont care on that front. Housers might be better off gone if that's what they wrote.

Ultimately Rockstar has the time and money that the only thing to be actually worried about is the controls. Someone up top is/was pushing "realism" instead of being fun to play. Fix that and the game will have a really hard time being bad with the budget they have

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I think each release has been more enjoyable than the one before it, so I'm sure it will be fine. No need for FUD.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
No, it won't be good.

Let's remind everyone what Take Two's E3 presentation was, last year:

Take Two's videogames are turning into checklist-mandated productions, just like Hollywood. Don't expect anything resembling a GTA out of GTA6.
Expect a Saints Row treatment, with hipster politically correct protagonists "that you'd invite to your home".

ClosBSAS

It'll be overrated as shit as it always is...but it's gonna break records and sell like hotcakes...there's no doubt.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Probably.

But I haven't enjoyed one since GTA III. Did not like IV. Skipped V. Did not like RDR1. Skipped RDR2.

Elements of it will be amazing though, and I'm sure it'll be good.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

I should have added this to the OP as well, but also there is also this picture that is speculated to be an image of your house from GTA6 that was found in the new trilogy.

FD8_9gpWUAgRhg7

via: gtaforums.com

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It will do exactly what RDR2 did, which is to push the boundaries of tech and interactive storytelling while having gameplay that feels super sluggish to accommodate for the realism they're shooting for. Except this time, there will be no Houser charm.

Both GTA V and RDR2 were my games of their respective years so I'm still excited, but less so with Houser gone. That said, I didn't even like the GTA V plot, it's more the way they wove that entire game together and he absolutely had a hand in it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GTA is a very special series, you look at the main characters from back in the day and Niko really carries a lot of power, to me that is what separates GTA 4 from the rest. GTA 5 was really cool. Red Dead Redemption 2 felt busy, you can get lost in the wild west, STRONG game with lots to do.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean there isn't anything to point to them losing their touch. So it will likely be as good or better than the last entry. The success of GTA online probably means that will be an even bigger focus this time around.

DaGwaphics

... must resist making remaster joke ...

They know their stuff, so, I'd say it will review good and sell a zillion copies. A lot of NFT possibilities here, homes, cars, clothes, furniture.

i didn't like 4 or 5....soo???

4's DLC was cool. But to me the last great GTA thing is San Andreas. Im sure GTA online is enjoyable on RP serverse. Or if ur just into that thing. But everytime i try GTA online its getting griefed or making very little money for a lot of effort

Kacho

Gold Member
Creatively I’m expect a disaster given the current social climate.

Personally I hope they give single player more love this time around. It needs more interesting things to do outside of the main missions and they need to go back to DLC expansions.

It’s going to be more GTA online horseshit though.

FingerBang

What they did with RDR2 makes be believe GTA VI could EASILY be the best GTA ever made. I think V was the best, an amazing game all around. It will all come down to how much they decide to hold back because of the current climate.

I don't think they need to care though. It's not that GTA V or RDR are particularly loved by the woke crowd and the game has always been about making fun of everyone.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Good. Of course (at least in terms of causing carnage across the city and telling a wackadoo story that is barely connected and serves only to keep that carnage going). Now, whether ROCKSTAR is mature enough to do satire that isn't cheap shots (Americas Next Top Hooker and Weasel in, POST OP most definitely out) will remain to be seen. I think they are.

. . .the Red Dead series has shown they can do humor without going for lowest common denominator fruits (and honestly, they can't these days). Definitely be interesting to see. I'm hoping for a "classic" tale honestly; maybe something in the 70's.

NickFire

They've made more money off the last one than some entire countries GDP over that time (I would bet anyway). So I am hopeful they stay true to what got them where they were.

If only I hadn't felt that way about Star Wars, Battlefield, and who knows how many other franchises, I would be confident.

Stuart360

I never thought i would ever say this but i'm starting to get over the whole GTA thing. I still love open world games, they are my fave, but the whole GTA schtick is starting to get old for me. Especially now in this clown world we live in.
So many of the people that made old GTA great are long gone.

0neAnd0nly

Interesting to see so many people are equally worried about the current social climate or Rockstar not being brave enough to make the games / stories they use to.

Just something I have noticed. As I said above, I believe they don't have the guts to push the boundaries today either.

Ozrimandias

lol

GAF: "I want my GTAVI with all of my body and soul Dammit R* Release it already!"
Poll: "It will be good?"
GAF: "No"

Pagusas

Elden Member
It'll be great, all it has to do is be GTAV minus Trevor + some vertical integration and it will be near perfect.

The stories have NEVER been good, so I don't expect anything from that. The gameplay has always been 2nd to the world designer, so I don't see how they could really ruin that either. Hell hopefully they just copy and paste Max Payne 3 gameplay into openworld GTA and we're set.

I do hope we get a single protagonist this time. I did not enjoy swapping between characters, made me feel disconnected.

Last edited:

Fbh

I didn't think V was good aside from the amazing production values, and Dan Houser leaving + GTA online being the main source of revenue now doesn't give me much hope VI will be any good.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No doubt that dan houser was a great writer and director and Leslie benz was a great manager, but sam houser is still there, there are other great writers and managers especially when we are talking about R* money. Given the success of GTA5 and online they are likely designing the game to last 10yrs.
I wouldn't be surprised if it has a budget of $500+million, with that budget and the incredibly talented artists and devs I think it will be the best GTA yet. Just look at RDR2 the best open world game of last gen and this gen (so far). Its going to be crazy to see what R* can do with current gen hardware. I expect it to look better then the matrix demo open world.

Last edited:

Catphish

Hopes are not high.

I completed V (actually double dipped, purchasing it for PS4 and PC), played some GTA:O, but I'd be lying if I said I really enjoyed my time with any of it.

I thought the characters in V, aside from Franklin, were shitty people, and difficult for me to relate to, much less embody. I thought the "satire" was ham-fisted and sophomoric, a significant downgrade from previous entries. The story as a whole left me feeling like I needed a shower.

And we've now had a few years to see where R*s priorities lie. No single-player DLC for V or RDR2. All efforts are dumped into GTA:O, which I was never terribly impressed with.

Add to that the cultural and political shift in the gaming landscape since V, and I think you'd have to be a fool to pre-order VI.

It's a wait-and-see for me, no doubt.

NewYork214

I believe it will be the best game in the series overall. Only 2 things might hurt it. If sjw scare them from being goofy and making fun of everything. And if the success of gta online makes them push away from a big single player story. But I don't think these will happen. Hoping anyway

Top Bottom