• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Jintor

Danielle... Please... I love listening to you and your rad opinions and ideas, but please stop hype manning while Austin is reading a thing and definitely please refrain from repeating the last word that Austin said in a breathy voice...

spiritfox

Danielle... Please... I love listening to you and your rad opinions and ideas, but please stop hype manning while Austin is reading a thing and definitely please refrain from repeating the last word that Austin said in a breathy voice...

Yeah

Breathy voice

Yeah

Avalanche

I feel bad because she's a great writer with a lot of good insights, but when it comes to the podcast most of the time she just ends up parroting Austin's views and offering small supporting phrases. It makes me feel like she doesn't serve much of a purpose on the show, even if that's clearly not the case for her work at Waypoint in general.

I'm aware this can often be a thing that happens to women in a larger group of men, who have a tendency to dominate discussions. Not sure if there's a way to retool how the show works to help deal with this - just a shame because I love the podcast otherwise.

Brakke

Banned
There any good examples of Danielle dropping the hypeman and instead trashing something? I dunno if I ever heard her go in.

Like she's rolled eyes sometimes but I'm struggling to remember her articulate a take-down of something.

Joeku

There any good examples of Danielle dropping the hypeman and instead trashing something? I dunno if I ever heard her go in.

Like she's rolled eyes sometimes but I'm struggling to remember her articulate a take-down of something.

I feel like you're more likely to get that on Idle Weekend.

xuchu

Only game which comes to mind is The Witness.

Yes, but both Austin and Danielle hate the Witness for similar reasons, so in the podcast she comes across as hypemanning for Austin even when trashing a game. She does have the video about witness on the site though.

A good moment where she could have challenged Austin and Patrick was when they were discussing Prey earlier on last month. She loves it but both Austin and Patrick don't. She just rolled over though and I was disappointed.

She's great but she certainly hypemans a lot.

Jintor

i don't even really mind hypemanning per say, but the little comments at the end of every few words was extremely distracting

smisk

I haven't listened to a ton of Danielle but I tend to love how positive she is about everything. Too many cynics on the internet already.

Jeffrey

Lol I asked my mom for a bandaid just this weekend and I'm 27. Was helping with some bushes and cut myself lol.

Kids get offended by that? You can get an infection!

KC-Slater

I feel bad because she's a great writer with a lot of good insights, but when it comes to the podcast most of the time she just ends up parroting Austin's views and offering small supporting phrases. It makes me feel like she doesn't serve much of a purpose on the show, even if that's clearly not the case for her work at Waypoint in general.

I'm aware this can often be a thing that happens to women in a larger group of men, who have a tendency to dominate discussions. Not sure if there's a way to retool how the show works to help deal with this - just a shame because I love the podcast otherwise.

I agree with this. I posted a few weeks ago that I thought she was the weakest link on a crowded podcast, and I stand by that. It's unfortunate because I would argue that she seems to have a very unique perspective on games/media with her life experiences, education, and work experience in different industries. It's unclear if this doesn't translate well on the podcast because she is nervous or because her co-hosts (Austin) cut her off (which is troubling because the cast regularly accomodate Rob's pregnant pauses and unnecessarily long-winded anecdotes.)

Consequently, she comes off as playing into the 'kid-sister'-trope which is frustrating given that she could be offering one of the most interesting and unique perspectives on the show.

Raitaro

I've really been enjoying Austin and Patrick's legendary father & son Breakfast and Battlegrounds series and I'm planning to check out their permadeath BOTW video content as well when my video backlog has shrunk.

I do have a question though, as someone who is otherwise new to Waypoint / Vice: is the abovementioned type of video content more of a side thing to their written articles and stuff or do they just choose to only cover a few games and then dedicate longer running video series to them? Have they ever commented on how they choose the games they cover, or do they simply cover what both of them are into and what works well in this format?

I would really love them to do a series on Splatoon 2 (by doing Salmon Run and Turf War together for instance), a game both of them seem to be enjoying going by their off-hand comments, but I wonder if they'll even have time to do so as long as PUBG and BOTW are still on-going series and their video output is limited to one video per day or so?

Brakke

Banned
I do have a question though, as someone who is otherwise new to Waypoint / Vice: is the abovementioned type of video content more of a side thing to their written articles and stuff or do they just choose to only cover a few games and then dedicate longer running video series to them? Have they ever commented on how they choose the games they cover, or ido they simply cover what both of them are into and what works well in this format?

I would really love them to do a series on Splatoon 2 (by doing Salmon Run and Turf War together for instance), a game both of them seem to be enjoying going by their off-hand comments, but I wonder if they'll even have time to do so as long as PUBG and BOTW are still on-going series and their video output is limited to one video per day or so?

All the videos are here: https://video.vice.com/en_us/channel/waypoint

I'd say they're definitely "primarily" writing. Outside of Breakfast and Battlegrounds, they don't put out too many videos. I guess they did that "pilot" week to test out some other shows, but I'm not sure if anything came of that?

Personally have zero interest in Battlegrounds, so if that's crowding out some regular streaming I'm ready for it to end. But the game seems like a phenomenon to itself, so I dunno if they *would* pivot off of it and into some other quasi-daily stream?

Raitaro

All the videos are here: https://video.vice.com/en_us/channel/waypoint

I'd say they're definitely "primarily" writing. Outside of Breakfast and Battlegrounds, they don't put out too many videos. I guess they did that "pilot" week to test out some other shows, but I'm not sure if anything came of that?

Personally have zero interest in Battlegrounds, so if that's crowding out some regular streaming I'm ready for it to end. But the game seems like a phenomenon to itself, so I dunno if they *would* pivot off of it and into some other quasi-daily stream?

Cheers for answering.

Too bad you're not enjoying the PUBG series. I have little interest in realistic looking shooters myself and at first glance I thought PUBG was one of the most generic looking games I'd ever seen, but man, after 30 minutes of watching it somehow clicked for me and I can barely get enough of it now (just watching mind you, not even playing!). I guess I just love the combination of strategic deployment and navigation, the frantic loot gathering and the high stakes action that can erupt at any time. The sound design is really great too for enhancing the "every shot counts" atmosphere. Austin and Patrick's banter and natural humor and meme-building really enhance their videos on PUBG too of course.

To each their own of course but please do give it an honest try if you haven't and may be dismissing it at first glance like I almost did. That said, I do hope for other video content as well of course, not just endless PUBG and BOTW.

xuchu

Cheers for answering.

Too bad you're not enjoying the PUBG series. I have little interest in realistic looking shooters myself and at first glance I thought PUBG was one of the most generic looking games I'd ever seen, but man, after 30 minutes of watching it somehow clicked for me and I can barely get enough of it now (just watching mind you, not even playing!). I guess I just love the combination of strategic deployment and navigation, the frantic loot gathering and the high stakes action that can erupt at any time. The sound design is really great too for enhancing the "every shot counts" atmosphere. Austin and Patrick's banter and natural humor and meme-building really enhance their videos on PUBG too of course.

To each their own of course but please do give it an honest try if you haven't and may be dismissing it at first glance like I almost did. That said, I do hope for other video content as well of course, not just endless PUBG and BOTW.

Yup, really enjoy watching the daily runs. The role playing is really funny and they have genuinely gotten so much better. Patrick smoking fools left, right and center to the point where he has surpassed his father. Team Crowbar and Sickle need a chicken dinner soon.

Joeku

In the wake of the failed "skinny repeal" vote:

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/890812048472293377
I WANT TO VOMIT PUDDING
OLLY DRAW ME VOMITING TRUMP PUDDING

https://twitter.com/ollymoss/status/890813899833982976
DFzOhMqUQAEKvVw.jpg:large

Mafro

The PUBG streams are really annoying because they make me really want the game but I don't have a PC (just a MacBook Air) and my Xbox One is broken.

I really enjoy Danielle on the podcasts. Was a big, big fan of her on Idle Thumbs and was sad when she left that.

Watching the Dying Reborn stream from the other day and her and Danika have great chemistry. The Snake Pass stream from a few months ago was brilliant.

Brakke

Banned
I was digging Austin's talk about queer critiques of Daddy Dating on the pod today. Anyone got links to reading that fits what he was gesturing at?

I like Danielle, I think the podcast needs a hypeman and she's pretty good at it. I also like that she brings a more RPG-focused, especially JRPG-focused, lens to the show.

I think all the Dani criticism does point out something important, though - Austin is a really strong personality, and that combined with the fact that Dani and the others agree with him substantively most of the time, there's just not enough contrast in the opinions of the crew.

Ideally someone who can name-drop Foucault in the middle of a podcast while having very different philosophical priors (without compromising the progressive bona fides of the show, obviously).

Far as I can tell, it is now impossible to download a straight MP3 of any Waypoint Radio. Everything is now streamed in-browser through acast.com. They had a good run, although no one will ever know it now.

RIP Woopcast
2016-2017

I think the podcast is better when Austin isnt around. Dude dominates the discussion to much and goes on and on a lot of the time when a more straight forward response would have been enough and not lasted nearly as long.

People who hate on Danielle are crazy.

Patrick has been skype podcasting so long you can tell he tries to awkwardly butt in less then people who are actually in the room with each other

The rest of the cast seems like easily replaceable fodder who I wouldn't notice ever missed a week.

#Takes

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Far as I can tell, it is now impossible to download a straight MP3 of any Waypoint Radio. Everything is now streamed in-browser through acast.com. They had a good run, although no one will ever know it now.

RIP Woopcast
2016-2017
Podcast apps seem to have no trouble downloading.

psyer

RIP Woopcast
2016-2017

RSS feed is still working as I can still download a straight MP3.

Podcast apps seem to have no trouble downloading.

But downloading the MP3s worked just fine. The change was so unnecessary.
RSS feed is still working as I can still download a straight MP3.

This is gonna sound dumb, but how? The RSS feed on their site links to acast.com, which doesn't appear to offer any downloads at all; it's 100% in-browser streaming.

Looking back, it seems like certain older episodes still have the non-acast link on the Waypoint post, but newer ones definitely do not.

psyer

This is gonna sound dumb, but how? The RSS feed on their site links to acast.com, which doesn't appear to offer any downloads at all; it's 100% in-browser streaming.

Looking back, it seems like certain older episodes still have the non-acast link on the Waypoint post, but newer ones definitely do not.

If you subscribe to the RSS feed before it redirects to the acast one. Here is the rss feed. Also a quick google search would give you this result too.

http://rss.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

i couldn't open this page on the my iphone last night, but here's this:

https://media.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episode86-nickrobinson/media.mp3

you can find the link off of this page: https://rss.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast

not obvious and they hide it a lot...

Top Bottom