• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Animation Announces Upcoming Slate, featuring two-part Death of Superman Film

would be cool if Gotham by Gaslight looked a bit more similar to Castlevania on Netflix, and less like everything from WB animated studios lately.

MartyStu

Hahahahahaha what the hell WB. "Let's remake our first DTV, and make it MORE of a straight adaptation than we did before. And let's split it in two, so we can sell it three times."

All it needs is a scene where Batman has grief-sex with Lois Lane.

Who is consoling who?

I'm so goddamn tired of DC's ongoing obsession with The Death of Superman.

It wasn't even a particuarly good story, it was just popular at the time on account of what it promised. And Doomsday is such a rubbish character.

Yes, thank you.

I thought Batman v. Superman was a steaming pile of guano, but I was thankful for it for one reason: because it got the whole mandatory 'Death of Superman' nonsense out of the way early so that they don't have to revisit those threads again. But knowing WB, I'm still not entirely confident in that.

Instead of going back to fix Death of Superman, how about they go back and fix All-Star Superman. That adaption hacked so much out, and altered some important aspects because of it.

ericexpo

Much rather see a two part 52 series with the question or anything better then a re do of death of superman. It's like wb thinks in the 90 years there's only been one story with superman

jackdoe

Superman Doomsday was pretty terrible, so I'm not surprised they're revisiting Death of Superman. Which means we'll probably see Knightfall as well.

Instead of going back to fix Death of Superman, how about they go back and fix All-Star Superman. That adaption hacked so much out, and altered some important aspects because of it.

I don't think All Star Superman can work as a film anyway. Morrison is the anti-Millar, his stories are meant to be comics, they can't work in any other medium. Death of Superman is dumb but Reign was a lot of fun back in the day, it could make for a decent film if they put some effort into it.

Superman Doomsday was pretty terrible, so I'm not surprised they're revisiting Death of Superman. Which means we'll probably see Knightfall as well.

Oh no.
I'd rather have No Man's Land. Or Contagion.

I don't think All Star Superman can work as a film anyway. Morrison is the anti-Millar, his stories are meant to be comics, they can't work in any other medium. Death of Superman is dumb but Reign was a lot of fun back in the day, it could make for a decent film if they put some effort into it.

I think it can, but I agree it doesn't work as a single film, or even two. It'd be best as a mini-series.

A Netflix miniseries, hm...

The cartoon adaptation still had me feel something as I shed tears in the end. No iteration of Death of Superman has ever made me feel anything.

All I remember from their first attempt at the death of Superman was a scene where Lex Luthor was straddling Superman and asked "Who's your daddy?"

I feel like I'm out the outlier when I say the original DOS animated film was awful and boring.

Plus that weird Lex "call me daddy" scene where he beats up a clone superman...

That isn't to say I wanted a retread, but this is better than another Batman film for sure.

What I really want is a Kingdom Come 2-parter.

Temp_User

Sounds good. But just some questions regarding this Doomsday adaptation:

1. Are they going to show the JLA being punked by Doomsday? If so, which roster? DeMatteis JLA or the regular DC's best aka the Morrison's JLA.

2. Are they going to show Lexcorp's actions post-Death of Superman? If so, would they use shaggy haired Lex or the iconic bald one? Would the movie(s) even have the running time to explain why Supergirl works for Lexcorp?

3.Are they doing Reign of the Supermen? If so, how many? The backstories of Henshaw, Eradicator, and Kon-El would take a lot of running time.

WillyFive

They are doing Death of Superman again? That was literally their first movie back in 2006. We are getting reboots of DC Animated films now it seems.

I'm glad to see that they're doing another animated Superman film at least. It's been a while since they basically killed the Superman films due to sales, and now everything is "Batman, Batman, Batman".

I'm so goddamn tired of DC's ongoing obsession with The Death of Superman.

It wasn't even a particuarly good story, it was just popular at the time on account of what it promised. And Doomsday is such a rubbish character.

It was a huge event though, and the story keep being referenced all over the place. Of course WB would try to make more then a few animated films based off it.

whipihguh

Banned
Death of Superman feels like DC's eqivalent of Civil War, a story that got popular because of the vague concept and title behind it even though the content itself is a steaming pile.

There are so many better Superman stories to adapt, and it saddens me that they have the idea that what went wrong the first time was the first adaptation wasn't loyal enough to the original. Nah, what went wrong the first time was the original.

Maybe make the story into something more than "outpunch the bad monster man" and maybe you got something.

Wag

superman-dc-comics.jpg

Mullet Superman incoming!

Yes I did read it, I missed the paragraph. I mentioned that earlier, if you had read the rest of the thread you would have read my reply earlier about the goof.

Not to be a dick or anything.

I legitimately wasn't trying to be a dick, I know my comment sounded snarky but I was more bemused than trying to give you shit. But yeah I totally missed your follow-up, sometimes I'll open a reply and get distracted in another tab before posting and the thread moves on without me *stares into the middle distance*

Top Bottom