• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Apparently Test-Screened a Three-Hour Cut of Matt Reeves' THE BATMAN

ManaByte

Gold Member
Warner Brothers regularly holds test screenings at their lot in Hollywood. People get into these in various ways, and a couple of days ago they held a three-hour test screening of something. While some people claimed it was a New Line movie (and thus Black Adam), it's since come out that it wasn't a New Line movie and was actually Matt Reeves' The Batman.

One person on Twitter CLAIMS to have a friend who was there (it's completely unverified right now), but Reddit has compiled everything they've said about it:

If true, it sounds amazing; especially the part about Batman narrating the whole movie. Both this and Doctor Strange 2 release in the same month and I'm looking forward to this a lot more.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Rock hard.
Happy Comic Con GIF by Morphin

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Having read the Reddit post, I can safely say as a Batman fan of over thirty years, that is pretty much the perfect set up for me. This film is going to be incredible, and will probably stand far above every other comic book movie coming out next year. It sound like the most mature and grounded a cbm movie can be.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Having read the Reddit post, I can safely say as a Batman fan of over thirty years, that is pretty much the perfect set up for me. This film is going to be incredible, and will probably stand far above every other comic book movie coming out next year. It sound like the most mature and grounded a cbm movie can be.

Can't wait for the "fans" who will complain that Batman isn't mowing down people with machine guns on the Batmobile.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can't wait for the "fans" who will complain that Batman isn't mowing down people with machine guns on the Batmobile.

Yeah, the Snyderites will still find something to complain about, I’d imagine. I will enjoy their tears when this is a critical and commercial hit.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It'll get review bombed like TSS did.

Just as well most folks don’t give a shit about stuff like that. I think it’s going to get a lot of people in just because it’ll be so different. Like Joker was. If they sell this as Joker combined with The Dark Knight, it’ll blow the fucking doors off.

trikster40

The Reddit post sounds awesome. Part of me wants to know the ending they’re talking about, but I think it’s time to go on lockdown to make sure I don’t see any spoilers. I’m ready for a new trailer!

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Reddit post sounds awesome. Part of me wants to know the ending they’re talking about, but I think it’s time to go on lockdown to make sure I don’t see any spoilers. I’m ready for a new trailer!

That's coming. Probably at DC FanDome. It was being scored recently.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I bet the mic drop moment is Joker related in some way. What else could get a reaction like that?
1. Ending shot of all the Court of Owls
2. A significant plot twist we didnt see coming. Maybe Bruce's parents still being alive or some mind fuck
3. Death of Alfred near the end

SafeOrAlone

Banned
1. Ending shot of all the Court of Owls
2. A significant plot twist we didnt see coming. Maybe Bruce's parents still being alive or some mind fuck
3. Death of Alfred near the end
I don’t think the death of Alfred would generate the excitement they’re describing. I also don’t lnow if Court of Owls is well known enough to garner that type of reaction, but maybe.

They’re describing it as a “mic drop” moment.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That’s not a bad guess either. I’d lean more towards Joker but I think Superman could garner that reaction.

someone said it is also sort of divisive, so having a fantasy element like Kal El is a reasonable guess. My mind went to Joaquin Phoenix, which could also be see as divisive. I normally wouldn’t expect that to happen, but we’re talking “mic drop” moment.

Star-Lord

That’s not a bad guess either. I’d lean more towards Joker but I think Superman could garner that reaction.

someone said it is also sort of divisive, so having a fantasy element like Kal El is a reasonable guess. My mind went to Joaquin Phoenix, which could also be see as divisive. I normally wouldn’t expect that to happen, but we’re talking “mic drop” moment.
Wasn't Phoenix's Joker set in a different universe and/or a different time? Not saying I wouldn't like to see his Joker in another movie, but I can't see it happening. I'd expect a Superman or Ra's al Ghul reveal at the end if anything.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Wasn't Phoenix's Joker set in a different universe and/or a different time? Not saying I wouldn't like to see his Joker in another movie, but I can't see it happening. I'd expect a Superman or Ra's al Ghul reveal at the end if anything.
Yes, all other indications have pointed towards Joaquin’s Phoenix never interacting with a version of Batman.

I just have a hard time imagining a bigger reveal than Joker, whether it’s Joaquin or not. Not saying I’d bet on this, it’s just my best guess, based on the reactions.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yes, all other indications have pointed towards Joaquin’s Phoenix never interacting with a version of Batman.

I just have a hard time imagining a bigger reveal than Joker, whether it’s Joaquin or not. Not saying I’d bet on this, it’s just my best guess, based on the reactions.

He‘d have to essentially be a different Joker from Arthur Fleck… which they could of course get away with by having the Joker movie just be another made up ‘multiple choice’ backstory he’s given himself for fun.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
He‘d have to essentially be a different Joker from Arthur Fleck… which they could of course get away with by having the Joker movie just be another made up ‘multiple choice’ backstory he’s given himself for fun.
Or he could just be pretty old. Joker was never much of an intimidating villain physically. But yeah, it’s a stretch.

It could also be a new Joker. Maybe Robin. Or some insane casting when it comes to the next villain.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Joker is set in a different universe in the 80s. The Batman is in present day.

Star-Lord

Joker is set in a different universe in the 80s. The Batman is in present day.
So wouldn't that essentially rule out Joker as the big reveal in The Batman? Plus, I don't know if The Batman is a follow-on from the current storyline, but [ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE SPOILERS]

Joker (Leto, sadly) was massively teased at the end of the film, working together with the heroes.

I'm sticking with my previous guess of Ra's al Ghul.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Meanwhile Snyder was a producer.

He was given an executive producer credit for contract reasons. He didn't have anything to do with the movie.
So wouldn't that essentially rule out Joker as the big reveal in The Batman? Plus, I don't know if The Batman is a follow-on from the current storyline, but [ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE SPOILERS]

This movie is in its own universe and has nothing to do with Batfleck or ZSJL.

Batman's been on the job for about a year or so, but it's not an origin movie.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned

Joker (Leto, sadly) was massively teased at the end of the film, working together with the heroes.

I'm sticking with my previous guess of Ra's al Ghul.
The universe thing doesn’t mean much. Especially with DC. If they want Joker to take place in the Reeves universe, they can make it so.

And again, the idea is that it is
A. Divisive
B. “mic drop” moment

So you have to think outside the box a little. But I can see it being a different actor playing the Joker more easily than I can imagine Joaquin getting involved.
I just keep ending up at Joker by process of elimination. How else could they shock audiences in regards to Batman in a way that is worthy of “dropping the mic”?

Sure, the court of Owls is cool, but that’s not controversial or even all that crazy.

To me, if the Batman is as good as early screenings indicate, it would be a mic drop moment to then say “Yeah, and that shared universe you wanted? These two are the start of it - and look how damn good they are.”

again, unlikely overall, but I’m having fun speculating.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

It will be Batman. It will be good, because it's really hard to do a bad Batman. Then WB will fuck up some other character films, before returning to the well for another Batman. Rinse, recycle, repeat.

"We don't need a cinematic universe" is just cover for "we can't trust ourselves to pull off a cinematic universe." Fuck WB.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'd say the Court is more unexpected than Joker. By now, we'd almost expect the character to appear.
That’s fair. But what would be “divisive” about the Court of Owls?

I just feel like it has to be bigger than an enemy reveal. And Joker sort of has the power to transcend that, given his popularity.
Of course, it could just be typically overhyped.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That’s fair. But what would be “divisive” about the Court of Owls?

I just feel like it has to be bigger than an enemy reveal. And Joker sort of has the power to transcend that, given his popularity.
Of course, it could just be typically overhyped.

It’s the ‘divisive‘ bit that keeps me coming back to Superman. Joker wouldn’t be divisive at all, but introducing essentially a brand new DC cinematic universe separate from the shithouse DCEU?

Last edited:

Cravis

Earlier this year I read rumors of the sequels villain being introduced at the end of this one. Spoilers…

Riddler floods Gotham. Mr. Freeze is introduced.

Personally I’d love to see a serious take on him.

Also read that

Batman finds out his mom and dad were not nice people and screwed over and destroyed so many lives amassing their wealth

T8SC

Why do we need another remake/rehash/reboot of a superhero rammed down our throats, oh but don't worry this time its 3hrs long. Want more superman/spiderman/batman ... well you're getting it no matter what you answer. Milk that cow.

Any chance of something original being written for screen?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Why do we need another remake/rehash/reboot of a superhero rammed down our throats, oh but don't worry this time its 3hrs long. Want more superman/spiderman/batman ... well you're getting it no matter what you answer. Milk that cow.

Any chance of something original being written for screen?
sad batman GIF

BigBooper

I just watched Batman Begins last night and something struck me. I had originally thought BB was more subdued and less supernatural than The Dark Knight and though I've never seen it, Dark Knight Rises.

It still has quite a few parts in it that are really disconnected, some of the fear toxin effects, the League of Shadows members being complete pushovers, Batman flying around for a few minutes scaring the civilians with his fear toxin eyes.

No complaints really though. I still like the movie a lot. I'm still hoping for the movie thought where Batman is merely a super rich, athletic detective. I know almost nothing about The Batman, butt I wonder which way it will lean?

Last edited:
I just watched Batman Begins last night and something struck me. I had originally thought BB was more subdued and less supernatural than The Dark Knight and though I've never seen it, Dark Knight Rises.

It still has quite a few parts in it that are really disconnected, some of the fear toxin effects, the League of Shadows members being complete pushovers, Batman flying around for a few minutes scaring the civilians with his fear toxin eyes.

No complaints really though. I still like the movie a lot. I'm still hoping for the movie thought where Batman is merely a super rich, athletic detective. I know almost nothing about The Batman, butt I wonder which way it will lean?

I don't know much about the new film but from what I've heard it sounds more like it will be up your alley and less supernatural.

Top Bottom