• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB/DC Making a Black Canary Movie for HBO Max

ManaByte

Gold Member

Jurnee Smollett will reprise her role as Dinah Lance, aka Black Canary, who was first introduced in last year's Birds of Prey movie. The character was depicted as a burlesque singer who rescues Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn from an attempted abduction and later becomes the driver for crime lord Roman Sionis (Ewan McGregor). She eventually betrays Roman and reveals her metahuman ability of supersonic-level screaming.

Sue Kroll will produce the Black Canary movie under her Kroll & Co. Entertainment banner, having also produced Birds of Prey. It's unclear whether Green will direct the Black Canary film as well, or merely write the script, but either way, the project is a long ways off, as Green has several other projects in the works that she must tend to first.

The first Birds of Prey made $200+M on a $82-100M budget. That's more than The Suicide Squad has made so far.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Kind of a weird movie to produce at this time in my mind, but I guess WB/HBO have some polling data or something suggesting the audience really enjoyed her character or something.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kind of a weird movie to produce at this time in my mind, but I guess WB/HBO have some polling data or something suggesting the audience really enjoyed her character or something.

Again, the original made twice its budget. They're putting smaller movies (Batgirl, Blue Beetle, Static Shock, this) on HBO Max now.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, casting Juicy Smooyay's sister who vehemently defended him is not a wise decision.
But what if that is the plot?

A person gets attacked in a horrible racist manner and than slides through the multiverse to a world where no one believes them and two totally innocent brothers get framed for it all.

sol_bad

I'm wondering if there is any chance of a movie like this getting a theatrical sequel. I still have zero understanding of how they gage these logistics, what is and isn't success when it comes to streaming.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm wondering if there is any chance of a movie like this getting a theatrical sequel. I still have zero understanding of how they gage these logistics, what is and isn't success when it comes to streaming.
WW84 was basically exclusive to HBO Max because no theaters were really open for it and they immediately announced a third movie after it premiered.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, casting Juicy Smooyay's sister who vehemently defended him is not a wise decision.

That's her little brother... Right or wrong, I think most people would defend their siblings especially if no one got hurt.

That said... Jussie needs to still apologize for lying like that... He wanted to wage war against ... You know who.

GloveSlap

I really liked Black Canary in Justice League Unlimited, but the BOP version (actor included) did absolutely nothing for me.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

The first Birds of Prey made $200+M on a $82-100M budget. That's more than The Suicide Squad has made so far.

You cant really compare movies pre Covid / with films released in a global pandemic.

This is a much more apt compassion:

"Birds of Prey grossed $84.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $117.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $201.9 million." --> More then likely didn't break even if you include promotion budgets.

"Suicide Squad (2016) was a box office success, grossing $325.1 million in the United States and Canada and $421.7 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $746.8 million, against a production budget of $175 million ($325 million including advertising and promotion costs)."

--> the SQ would have beat BoP easily in non Covid times.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Again, the original made twice its budget. They're putting smaller movies (Batgirl, Blue Beetle, Static Shock, this) on HBO Max now.
You say that like that is an accomplishment. A movie has to make twice it’s budget before it even approaches being profitable? Do you expect us to believe it was a massive success?

also, why the comparisons to the suicide squad? Was Birds of Prey rated R?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

No I get that. It's just that version of Black Canary of all things, with an actress who is probably demanding a much larger payday now given her success with the Lovecraft show? I figured they'd have gone for something else but hey, grats to the fans of that rendition. I don't mind watching Jurnee Smollett primp and preen on screen for 90 minutes again. Sign me up.

ManaByte

Gold Member
No I get that. It's just that version of Black Canary of all things, with an actress who is probably demanding a much larger payday now given her success with the Lovecraft show? I figured they'd have gone for something else but hey, grats to the fans of that rendition. I don't mind watching Jurnee Smollett primp and preen on screen for 90 minutes again. Sign me up.
It probably helps that this movie is being written by the Lovecraft writer.

Top Bottom