• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Discovery has yet to green light The Batman 2, Hamada could become DC’s Feige

ManaByte

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/...oker-2-walter-hamada-david-zaslav-1235337927/

That’s still cheaper than most superhero movies, which often cost upwards of $200 million — like “The Batman,” for example, which earned a solid $770 million globally in a pandemic environment. Writer-director Matt Reeves is on track for a sequel with star Robert Pattinson, but the project remains in development and does not yet have a greenlight — any future film is years away.

And this part is going to really piss some people off:

In fact, the future of DC Film could very well be its present: De Luca and Abdy have made no secret that they want Hamada to remain at the helm of the unit. A fellow New Line alum, Hamada was brought on to stabilize DC’s film slate in 2018 and has been credited in guiding the likes of “Aquaman” and “The Batman” to box office success. Hamada is widely respected on the lot for his keen story sense and relationships with talent. He also keeps a low profile in a business of big egos, which has endeared him to staff.

But Warner Bros. rank-and-file also believe that Hamada has been mistreated even before Discovery bought the company from AT&T. They note that Hamada had to endure death threats after “Justice League” star Ray Fisher publicly accused the executive of undermining an investigation into misconduct allegations related to reshoots on that film. Many staffers believe the studio did not do enough the back their embattled executive and feel it was unfair that he became the target of Snyder-verse fans because that film was completed before he took over at DC.

The last straw appears to have been the decision to cancel “Batgirl,” which caused Hamada to nearly resign. De Luca and Abdy convinced him to remain at the studio at least until “Black Adam” opens in October. Whether Hamada stays any longer appears to be entirely up to the executive.

So all those Twitter posts about him 100% leaving were full of shit, and his bosses want him to continue running DC.

RAÏSanÏa

Enjoyed The Batman and would be ok with a sequel, but by itself it stands well enough on its own and would rather not see Discovery+ benefit from that talent and concept. Pattinson and others will find work. DCEU continuing to do what they're doing will make more interesting reading than watching their movies.

Madflavor

So...what the fuck is the point then? You're axing films, cleaning house, want to focus on the trinity, have a ten year plan, follow Feige's playbook, but you're gonna keep the same guy who steered the ship wrong in the first place?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So...what the fuck is the point then? You're axing films, cleaning house, want to focus on the trinity, have a ten year plan, follow Feige's playbook, but you're gonna keep the same guy who steered the ship wrong in the first place?
They are keeping Snyder?

ManaByte

Hamada started in 2018. Stop listening to idiots claiming otherwise on Twitter. He was responsible for Joker, Aquaman, and The Batman. Joker and Aquaman both made $1 billion.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't care about DC or Marvel "universes" or multi-character arcs, that kind of Disney-ified trash is absolutely mind-numbing.

The Batman was a great film on its own, however. I'd rate it higher than the Nolan films. It should keep going with the same director, entirely on its own, as its own series without any interference from idiotic other characters or involvement in media crossovers.

LordCBH

I just want a sequel to The Batman. I really enjoyed that one. As far as Hamada goes? I don’t have anything against him. Some of the movies released on his watch have been really good.

The answer is to keep making films that stand alone.

Marvel is neat if you want to see wacky team up shit, but none of the movies are very good. We'd never have a Joker if the director had to use Jared Leto for some god forsaken reason.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The article says nothing of substance. Its basically “lol idk everything is up in the air”.

Yeah no shit.

Madflavor

They are keeping Snyder?
Hamada started in 2018. Stop listening to idiots claiming otherwise on Twitter. He was responsible for Joker, Aquaman, and The Batman. Joker and Aquaman both made $1 billion.

I know what I said. I don't like Hamada and thought he was doing a bad job.

Snyder = Had a vision, but it was a bad one.
Hamada = Had no vision. Threw shit at the wall to see what sticks. Some did some didn't.

I don't deny Hamada got results, but his "Eh do whatever" approach was not something I was a fan of. The new "rebooted" DCEU after Flashpoint sounded awful and confusing on every level. No more Superman, still got Batman but it's 70 year old Michael Keaton? But there's another Batman in Robert Pattison. But Batfleck still technically exists? Then two separate Black Supermans were being looked at. Batgirl was apparently a pile of shit. Wonder Woman 84 was a huge misstep. New Gods in the trash. I could go on and on. There's also rumors that they thought about doing Crisis on Infinite Earths, so basically skipping their way to their own personal "Endgame", which wouldn't surprise me since they basically halfway skipped toward their own personal "Avengers" under Synder's vision. I mean I may have my issues with the MCU, but they have their plans, they announce them, and then they deliver.

DCEU under Hamada's regime was the equivalent of this:

Top Bottom