• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB/HBO Omits J.K. Rowling From Harry Potter 20th Anniversary Reunion

ManaByte

The Harry Potter stars and filmmaker Chris Columbus are reuniting for the previously announced 20th anniversary retrospective on HBO Max. But there’s one notable omission from the list of participants: creator J.K. Rowling.

WarnerMedia on Tuesday announced that the special will feature the franchise’s central trio of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson, who will be joined by Columbus and appearances by other alums including Helena Bonham Carter, Robbie Coltrane, Ralph Fiennes, Jason Isaacs, Gary Oldman, Imelda Staunton, Tom Felton, James Phelps, Oliver Phelps, Mark Williams, Bonnie Wright, Alfred Enoch, Matthew Lewis, Evanna Lynch and Ian Hart, among others.

The release made no mention of Rowling when listing those participating in the retrospective. While Harry Potter remains a beloved franchise, Rowling sparked backlash from the trans community after saying that transgender individuals should be defined by their biological sex. Sources close to the project note that the retrospective will focus on the creation of the film and the central cast/team. Rowling will, however, be featured in archival footage. She will not make a new appearance in the special.

WB will still pay Rowling to write their garbage Fantastic Beast prequels, but they won't include her on a HBO reunion special because someone on Twitter will cry.

Enjay

Banned
Eh she probably didn't even write the boom herself anyway. Was just frontperson for the inspirational story it told about her writing on her way to welfare or whatever it was.

ManaByte

Eh she probably didn't even write the boom herself anyway. Was just frontperson for the inspirational story it told about her writing on her way to welfare or whatever it was.
pulp fiction they speak english in what GIF

McCheese

The book and film series just arrived from space in a box along with Minecraft. Nobody knows where they came from nor what advanced civilisation produced it, the only thing we know for sure is whatever civilisation sent them to us had at least 6 genders.

clem84

Gold Member
Sources close to the project note that the retrospective will focus on the creation of the film and the central cast/team.
This seems like a perfectly good explanation to me. It's not necessarily because she was cancelled in some way.

this franchise couldve been so much more and was squandered.

dont care if she was left out or included, she hasnt done anything significant after the fact.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
They paid her a lot to claim credit for the shit sandwich book 7 is.

dr_octagon

Banned
Sean Bean as Dumbledore
James McAvoy as Harry
Emily Blunt as Hermoine
Amy Adams as Ron
Jeremy Irons as Snape
Tom Hardy as Hagrid
Henry Cavill as Bellatrix
Michael Fassbender as Draco
Idris Elba as Sirius
Christian Bale as broomstick
Michael Cera as Voldermort

Xenon

Personally I think so many people now hate her and want her to be forgotten because she's proof that someone can make an original story and be successful, instead of cannibalizing others works.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Personally I think so many people now hate her and want her to be forgotten because she's proof that someone can make an original story and be successful, instead of cannibalizing others works.
Not hating on HP or JK, but there are tons of things that she lifted from fantasy and mythology. She repackaged it in a fun and unique way, but she was appropriating wholesale

Termite

I can see that there's an easy out here: "It's just the movie cast, it's not a book anniversary!"

But it still feels disgraceful all these kids whom she made millionaires throwing her under the bus for her incredibly mild comments that represent opinions that frankly most of the UK, and 90% of the world, share.

There was a time (not long ago!) when the argument was "sex and gender are different", and it was okay to say "sure, I'll treat you as whatever gender you like, I'll be polite about it and wish you well, but there should be some sex-segregated spaces like sport and prison because a lot of oppression and rape itself is born from the very nature of physical biology".

The argument appears to have shifted now to "sex is irrelevant, change the birth cert, biology is irrelevant, only gender matters, reality is what I declare it to be, and it's hate to say otherwise."

It's really the only time I've ever gone "backwards" on a social issue. I was all in on doing whatever to get better health outcomes for transgender people but where we've ended up has become totally absurd. Emperor's new clothes situation. A backlash is surely coming.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
If she plays her cards right she can slip in all sorts of stuff in her future works to reinforce her beliefs on gender and influence another couple of generations. Too bad she has the subtlety of a jackhammer in her writing.

But the good news is I think she has enough creative control over any and all adaptations that no one can genderbend or play the pronoun game with any of her characters unless she approves, and she has like a billion reasons to not give a fuck what twitter thinks :p

Termite

Not hating on HP or JK, but there are tons of things that she lifted from fantasy and mythology. She repackaged it in a fun and unique way, but she was appropriating wholesale
It's not the fantasy elements that she lifted that matter. Everyone uses griffons and magic wands etc. That's just cultural currency.

Her real slight of hand was lifting the idea of The Worst Witch almost wholesale and getting away with it because she did it so much better. That was the real theft.

I can't hate on her - I was in boarding school (in the middle of a misty forest lol) when the first book came out and by god she nailed the experience.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
An utter fucking disgrace is what it is, her original works made a lot of fucking people very very rich and just because her views mirror that of the vast majority of the planet bar the cunts on Twitter she doesn't get an invite to the party?? I swear to fuck America get your house sorted, you lot exported this nonsense to the rest of the world

bitbydeath

It's not the fantasy elements that she lifted that matter. Everyone uses griffons and magic wands etc. That's just cultural currency.

Her real slight of hand was lifting the idea of The Worst Witch almost wholesale and getting away with it because she did it so much better. That was the real theft.

I can't hate on her - I was in boarding school (in the middle of a misty forest lol) when the first book came out and by god she nailed the experience.
Not really. They’re both set at a young witch school but that’s where the similarities end.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Someone needs to sit these wokist fuckwits down and explain to them that if alien archaeologist were to find and examine their remains in 1000, hell 10,000 years time they'd be gendered based on their biology and genetics, not how they choose to "identify".

That's what being on the right side of history really means.

Last edited:

Xenon

That's leagues ahead of the current reboot and swap that's going on. I think she writes interesting characters in decent stories, with shitty sports.

An utter fucking disgrace is what it is, her original works made a lot of fucking people very very rich and just because her views mirror that of the vast majority of the planet bar the cunts on Twitter she doesn't get an invite to the party?? I swear to fuck America get your house sorted, you lot exported this nonsense to the rest of the world

Twitter turds need a good slap. Only in 2021 can you be cancelled for acknowledging scientific fact. And she should make Harry the villian in the sequels with Hermonie bumped off in the opening act, poison little back stabbing troll that Emma Watson is.

MrMephistoX

I admire the hell out of her for coming out and saying the things she's said.
A man can't get pregnant. Only woman can.
A man can't menstruate. Only woman can.
The fact that she's being ostracized and excluded by the same people that she made millions for, is fucked.
I’m surprised Kindergarten Cop hasn’t been retro cancelled yet.

Drizzlehell

Banned
She stole from the classic 1986 movie Troll, bro.

dr_octagon

Banned
JK Rowling made a wise move with keeping British actors in the film series. She could have let them just go all out and Hollywood it.

Everyone involved should say fuck off to this bullshit and give credit to someone who set up the franchise and made the studio loads of money. Treating her like Roman Polanksi or something, what a joke.

Fbh

Pretty pathetic, specially considering how many people involved in this at least partially owe her their entire careers.

Her whole journey from being championed by the woke crowd after the whole gay Dumbledore and black Hermione thing, to being considered to be worse than Hitler for taking about the differences between biological and trans women has been the perfect example of the ridiculousness of woke culture

Top Bottom