• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB/HBO Omits J.K. Rowling From Harry Potter 20th Anniversary Reunion

GeekyDad

this franchise couldve been so much more and was squandered.

dont care if she was left out or included, she hasnt done anything significant after the fact.
Does she have to? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Isn't she like a billionaire? I'm guessing she got a mild chuckle at hearing she wasn't invited to this thing.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I bet the cast would have preferred tossing out Ronald instead.
ron-weasley-crying.gif

Drew1440

I admire the hell out of her for coming out and saying the things she's said.
A man can't get pregnant. Only woman can.
A man can't menstruate. Only woman can.
The fact that she's being ostracized and excluded by the same people that she made millions for, is fucked.
And yet for saying that, people thought she was attacking transgender people and calling for violence against them.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
and black Hermione thing,

When did that happen? Race changing a character that's already white in the books? That must be a first right? Never known a author to race swap a character from their works before.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And yet for saying that, people thought she was attacking transgender people and calling for violence against them.

That’s because they are largely misogynist scum, who think women should be seen and not heard.

Don’t agree with JK Rowling? Absolutely fine. Voice your opposition.

Call her a nazi turf cunt who deserves to be hanged? Fuck you, and anyone who agrees with your nasty little woman hating attitude.

ymoc

this franchise couldve been so much more and was squandered.

dont care if she was left out or included, she hasnt done anything significant after the fact.
You are ignorant. She's written and created the wonderful detective series C.B Strike. She really knows how to write male/female interactions well, the dynamics are so fun to watch. She keeps it far from getting corny or reduced to infantile behaviour.

trikster40

I’m okay with it. Rather see the cast, I’m sure there may be some recording of her or something. I didn’t watch the friends or fresh prince reunions to see the writers.

Drew1440

When did that happen? Race changing a character that's already white in the books? That must be a first right? Never known a author to race swap a character from their works before.
If I remember correctly a black actress was cast in a local pantomine/theater show of Harry Potter, of which JK Rowling was asked what she thought of this on Twitter. JK responded that she was OK and that Hermione bring white was never specified in the books (not sure what else she was supposed to say with such a loaded question, but that's Twitter)

Fbh

Not sure if you are being sarcastic.
But it was when they cast a black actress to play Hermione in the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play, though she wasn't directly involved with it. When some fans criticized the casting Rowling spoke out to defend it, but instead of just voicing her support or explaining that Hermione isn't defined by her race, she tried to take some weird moral high ground by pretending she had never specified or envisioned a specific race for her.

Anyway, it's both funny and sad how the same people who cheered her on for stuff like that and went after anyone who dared question her now hate her with a passion.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If I remember correctly a black actress was cast in a local pantomine/theater show of Harry Potter, of which JK Rowling was asked what she thought of this on Twitter. JK responded that she was OK and that Hermione bring white was never specified in the books (not sure what else she was supposed to say with such a loaded question, but that's Twitter)

Not sure if you are being sarcastic.
But it was when they cast a black actress to play Hermione in the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play, though she wasn't directly involved with it. When some fans criticized the casting Rowling spoke out to defend it, but instead of just voicing her support or explaining that Hermione isn't defined by her race, she tried to take some weird moral high ground by pretending she had never specified or envisioned a specific race for her.

Anyway, it's both funny and sad how the same people who cheered her on for stuff like that and went after anyone who dared question her now hate her with a passion.

I wasn't aware of the Cursed Child casting. The choice of actors for a stage play shouldn't considering colour of skin. I have no issue that they cast a black actress for that role as the character isn't defined by their race.

However, I don't buy into JK never envisioning Hermione being white. I take she had a say in the cover art for the books, because Hermione is on the cover of of the first edition of Deathly Hallows and is shown to be white.

s-l400.jpg

Does she have to? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Isn't she like a billionaire? I'm guessing she got a mild chuckle at hearing she wasn't invited to this thing.
She would be a billionaire if she wasn't donating a ton of her wealth that keeps her just on the outskirts of the billionaire club. People today really will just run with anything to tear a person down while ignoring all the good they've done. At some point all of this is going to backfire hard for these wokists (if that's a word)

Fbh

I wasn't aware of the Cursed Child casting. The choice of actors for a stage play shouldn't considering colour of skin. I have no issue that they cast a black actress for that role as the character isn't defined by their race.

However, I don't buy into JK never envisioning Hermione being white. I take she had a say in the cover art for the books, because Hermione is on the cover of of the first edition of Deathly Hallows and is shown to be white.

s-l400.jpg

There's even Sketches made by Rowling where she is obviously white:
k5mxtnez55ez.jpg

And yes, I don't really mind the race change for the casting. It's just her response that was silly.
She could have been like "Hermione is characterized by her intelligence, skill with magic and loyalty to her friends, not the color of her skin", and it would have been fine.

TheGrat1

s-l400.jpg
There is a line in The Prisoner of Azkaban that describes her as white:
3f865872-f9fe-4aeb-9c52-d87b7d044aac

dr_octagon

Banned
Hermoine's name should be another reminder that she is meant to be typical middle class child. The stereotype family with a nice detached house in a leafy suburban area. It is not just race alone, the whole class and upbringing is part of her character.

Just as how the adventures of Harryesh, Ronaldo and Hermonique would have different backgrounds.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Quidditch the latest victim.

Hope she sues them.

Can't get over the use of a photo of a guy leaping into the air and ramming his broom pole penis straight into the face of some hapless woman for this story :p

The subtext is just too much!!

2c6xawz.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
The real reason:
The leagues say there are a few reasons for the name change. Among them is that the name "quidditch" is trademarked by Warner Bros., which produced the "Harry Potter" movies, and as a result the sport's expansion has been limited in its sponsorship and broadcast opportunities.

The virtue signal/social media reason
The name change is also part of an effort by the leagues to "distance themselves from the works of J.K. Rowling," according to the statement, "who has increasingly come under scrutiny for her anti-trans positions in recent years."

And then they pad out the article by regurgitating old controversies.

235dc0d5-cfd0-4032-aa42-f43e18e427e1_text.gif

Doom85

Can't get over the use of a photo of a guy leaping into the air and ramming his broom pole penis straight into the face of some hapless woman for this story :p

2c6xawz.jpg

James Franco Reaction GIF

Where do you think people’s faces are? If the broom is making contact with her, it’s hitting slightly below her armpit, not her face.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Quidditch the latest victim.

Hope she sues them.

That article is fucking ridiculous, this bit is such an obvious tell:
she wrote, using a talking point that advocates say is common among anti-trans or "gender critical" groups.

Note the use of quotation marks. Anti-trans is written definitively, but gender critical is in quotation marks implying its being used euphemistically.

Last edited:
hmm. it's a bit silly to leave her out. people are trying to cancel her and some are quite happy to keep receiving attention and money from the thing she created.

daniel radcliffe. emma watson. rupert grint. and many more....they wouldn't be where they are without her. i think if you respect Rowling you'd refuse to take part unless she was involved. that doesn't seem to be the case so if you don't agree with her and are against her then at least cancel her properly for goodness sake.

oh wait that would mean not being involved in anything Harry Potter ever again... that would suck wouldn't it? nah, fuck that just keep being famous for being in Harry Potter and keep bringing in the money. i do wonder how much HBO paid Daniel, Emma, and Rupert. this is just the 20th anniversary of the first movie. They'll come crawling back out in 2031 for more money and attention when it's been 20 years since Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It's astonishing just how many cowardly individuals in the public sphere have completely capitulated to mentally ill people and psychopaths over this crazy agenda. And by mentally ill and psychopaths I mean rambling psychotic activists, not trans people.

A major chunk of the public space has been completely bullied into accepting illogical fantasies and factual falsities are truth. Just think about that for a second. This would be akin to people just believing that silence and words are violence. Oh wait, that has happened too. :messenger_expressionless: JK has never said a single bad word about trans people nor has harmed anyone. It's emotional manipulation to gain power by activists and people with no backbone have completely fallen for it.

It's sad. JK seems like a genuinely nice person too.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I’m kinda understanding of the desire to PNG certain people. Like, if someone turns out to be a holocaust denier or something…alright maybe tell them to pound sand.

But Rowling’s unpersoning is really disturbing. All she’s saying is womyn are womxn. Surely ze doesn’t deserve this for saying biological sex is real?

Tams

Gold Member
Not hating on HP or JK, but there are tons of things that she lifted from fantasy and mythology. She repackaged it in a fun and unique way, but she was appropriating wholesale
I'd hate to see what you do think is original. Going by your standards, pretty much nothing.

The first two Harry Potter books at least, are something special. The third makes it much darker, but is still great. The forth has great tension and deserves to be as big as it is, but was really the start of her getting too big for her shoes.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'd hate to see what you do think is original. Going by your standards, pretty much nothing.

The first two Harry Potter books at least, are something special. The third makes it much darker, but is still great. The forth has great tension and deserves to be as big as it is, but was really the start of her getting too big for her shoes.
Well, it makes sense because 4 was the last one she wrote without HP being this huge phenomenon.
Kinda wish she would have finished the series before it had taken off.

Drew1440

I’m kinda understanding of the desire to PNG certain people. Like, if someone turns out to be a holocaust denier or something…alright maybe tell them to pound sand.

But Rowling’s unpersoning is really disturbing. All she’s saying is womyn are womxn. Surely ze doesn’t deserve this for saying biological sex is real?
People twist it as if she is putting transgender lives in danger by just stating that women are women and refusing to play the pronoun game. But what's currently happening to Rowling has already been done to certain University lecturers who are losing their positions over this, and people are afraid to speak out as a result.

Tams

Gold Member
Well, it makes sense because 4 was the last one she wrote without HP being this huge phenomenon.
Kinda wish she would have finished the series before it had taken off.
Mate... I don't know where to start with that.

I suppose you mean globally, because just getting the Prisoner of Azkaban in the UK was a chore.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What was it she said.. that there are real women with real issues or something like that? Oh no what a monster !

Laieon

There's even Sketches made by Rowling where she is obviously white:
k5mxtnez55ez.jpg

And yes, I don't really mind the race change for the casting. It's just her response that was silly.
She could have been like "Hermione is characterized by her intelligence, skill with magic and loyalty to her friends, not the color of her skin", and it would have been fine.

Dobby looks terrifying.

*Nightwing

2c6xawz.jpg

Absolutely amazing Quidditch is actually played in real life with people jacking broom handles up their crotch. Grown adults too. You'd think elementary school kids would be the ones goofing around.

This is what happens since we didn’t stop the furries… we all are to blame for this display of humanities mediocrity. At least a downward drug and booze filled spiral is enjoyable and entertaining, but this whimper of humanity into the oblivion of mediocrity is sad and the end. The monkeys have won the world already and humanity doesn’t even realize it yet

UnNamed

Banned
HBO is pretty scummy after they decided to put a disclaimer before Gone with the Wind, because you know, we all need big companies to teach us morality. The fact they are planning to make an Harry Potter TV show is embarrassing.

It's sad basically no one of the cast has taken the side of JK Rowling, because maybe she have controversial ideas on trans, but any people is a sum of lot of things, even if some of those are bad. The only smart person who did it was Evanna Lynch which said JK may be wrong but she's also a good woman, and even good person can have shitty ideas. No word from the main cast, I'm disappointed by Emma Watson, she claims she's a feminist but in this case she proves she's just a puppet.

Another part of this problem are the media. Every time you read something about this controversy, you always read "LGBT rights activists" or "people on the internet" which is beyond stupidity. Internet is the place of offended people nowadays, it's just a nonsense. And any time they talk about these militants, they don't refer to a specific organization, but just people who talk about human rights behind a keyboard and only when the router/modem is on. They are so lazy they do copy and paste from other sites without verify any source and these lies are repeated over and over.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
She would be a billionaire if she wasn't donating a ton of her wealth that keeps her just on the outskirts of the billionaire club. People today really will just run with anything to tear a person down while ignoring all the good they've done. At some point all of this is going to backfire hard for these wokists (if that's a word)
They’ll go out with a whimper, not a bang

Top Bottom