• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WBD CEO Zaslav enacting a 10-year plan for DC movies, modeled after what Kevin Feige did with the MCU

ManaByte

Gold Member
Another one possibly:

The promotional picture looked like an Instagram cosplay from some 16 year olds so this is some cost cutting I can get behind.

I really think the CW is going away. The network only existed to produce endless scripted shows to sell into syndication and eventually Netflix. With the streaming environment now, that model no longer works; so WBD is killing almost every show on the network and taking it down to the minimum. Its days are numbered.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I really think the CW is going away. The network only existed to produce endless scripted shows to sell into syndication and eventually Netflix. With the streaming environment now, that model no longer works; so WBD is killing almost every show on the network and taking it down to the minimum. Its days are numbered.

I Hope Please GIF

sol_bad

I thought it was already official that the CW was being sold off?

https://collider.com/the-cw-purchas...t=Warner Bros.,network to Nexstar Media Group.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Their ten year plan needs to include a complete rewrite and reshoot of The Flash movie, because the leaked plot (which is apparently pretty legit) sounds like an absolute trash fire of a film.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I would like to see a Superman film set in the 40’s or 50’s. Superman films in the modern day just do not work.

Doom85

What would make it work in the 40's?

Not sure, Superman stories can work in any decade.

However, my personal favorite DC comic run is set primarily in the 40’s and 50’s:

u9WQ1lO.jpg

There was a direct to video animated film. Really good, though of course the comic has the characters and story far more fleshed out.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This is the era of the classic Superman stories. The most enjoyment I ever got from Superman was from a book (not a comic) of Superman stories from this time.

While I don;t think Grant Morrison would be the right creator to helm a new Superman creatively, others should really learn from the unashamed earnestness and enthusiasm of his All-Star Superman comics. They need to embrace his supporting cast. They need to realize that with a character like Superman they can dabble in the fantastic with no need for any kind of a suspension of disbelief.

I feel like that's what Snyder got wrong the most. He looks at Superman and thinks "how would such a being interact with and embrace today's world?", rather than realizing that a world in which someone like Superman exists in is ripe for endless fantasy and science fiction. Also, he completely butchered the supporting cast aside from Lois and Ma Kent.

sol_bad

This is the era of the classic Superman stories. The most enjoyment I ever got from Superman was from a book (not a comic) of Superman stories from this time.

Yeah but there is no reason you can't transplant those stories into the modern age.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
While I don;t think Grant Morrison would be the right creator to helm a new Superman creatively, others should really learn from the unashamed earnestness and enthusiasm of his All-Star Superman comics. They need to embrace his supporting cast. They need to realize that with a character like Superman they can dabble in the fantastic with no need for any kind of a suspension of disbelief.

I feel like that's what Snyder got wrong the most. He looks at Superman and thinks "how would such a being interact with and embrace today's world?", rather than realizing that a world in which someone like Superman exists in is ripe for endless fantasy and science fiction. Also, he completely butchered the supporting cast aside from Lois and Ma Kent.

Superman only works on film when it’s being made by somebody who isn’t embarrassed about who and what Superman is.

Snyder was clearly and desperately embarrassed by the idea that Superman is a good and decent human being from the breadbasket of America, who just happens to be a god as well.

Like you say, you don’t deconstruct Superman. You construct the right world around him.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Yeah but there is no reason you can't transplant those stories into the modern age.
I think BadBurger BadBurger ’s post hits the nail on the head. Superman is built for a non-ironic world.

Unlike other Superheroes, Superman is more time-bound. I suspect that the reason there are no great Superman movies is the same reason it is impossible to do a good Superman game.

Somehow, this problem is built in to his almost omniscient power.

DETACA

Banned
I think BadBurger BadBurger ’s post hits the nail on the head. Superman is built for a non-ironic world.

Unlike other Superheroes, Superman is more time-bound. I suspect that the reason there are no great Superman movies is the same reason it is impossible to do a good Superman game.

oh yes, agree!

DETACA

Banned

but one question, what would it effect either you or this world would have even if there are already some good movies ? what they have done either ?

Hugare

Fuck the universe bullshit and just make quality standalone movies/trilogies with surprise cameos from other heroes/villains when it serves the story.
This

More movies like Joker and The Batman

They havent learned anything from trying to mimic the MCU in the past, huh? "Oh but NOW we will make it right"

Let some directors with neat ideas go wild

WB playing it safe is the worst (Fantastic Beasts, most DC movies and etc.)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No lo entiendo.

The milk has gone bad!

There is a lot of false nostalgia about these movies due to what happened to Christopher Reeve.
I don't want to even imagine the fall-out if they released a superman movie with a completely naked little boy walking around in this day and age.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The milk has gone bad!

There is a lot of false nostalgia about these movies due to what happened to Christopher Reeve.

The original Superman movie is great. The difference is that movies then, were a slow burn, that built and built and let the character breath during the film. Compared to a superhero movie today which is action, quips, action, quips, Superman 1 is an Oscar contender. I care nothing about Reeve, but he was a great Superman. The original is objectively an incredible film. They develop every character.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Bring cavil and affleck a dump truck of cash to return. Cancel the flash film, recast barry allen for the next jl film. Get rid of all this Keaton multiverse non sense.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

There really isn't. Superman The Movie is still in the top five superhero movies of all time. For very good reason. I think it's pretty widely recognised that 2 is okay, 3 is average at best, and 4 is a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not Beyonder. Doom

They're going to have to work hard to sell him as the mega villain (which is what I assume they're doing). They kind of shot their bolt with Thanos out of the gate. Not sure the casual audience is going to feel quite the same about a dude in a tin can with a funny accent.

RAÏSanÏa

They're going to have to work hard to sell him as the mega villain (which is what I assume they're doing). They kind of shot their bolt with Thanos out of the gate. Not sure the casual audience is going to feel quite the same about a dude in a tin can with a funny accent.
Most powerful variant.

Doom85

If they can be sold on a Purple People Eater as a universal threat, I don’t see how it should be hard to sell them on
a guy who is one of Marvel’s most brilliant scientists and the second most skilled magic user after Dr. Strange and has an entire nation of followers and Doombots at his disposal.
Maybe not as the ultimate threat right away, but certainly a very dangerous one.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If they can be sold on a Purple People Eater as a universal threat, I don’t see how it should be hard to sell them on
a guy who is one of Marvel’s most brilliant scientists and the second most skilled magic user after Dr. Strange and has an entire nation of followers and Doombots at his disposal.
Maybe not as the ultimate threat right away, but certainly a very dangerous one.

Eh. It's going to be hard to put him over as someone more dangerous than Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet. When you've done a threat that wipes out half the universe, and can control time, space and reality, not sure where you go from there to get the audience's attention.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There really isn't. Superman The Movie is still in the top five superhero movies of all time. For very good reason. I think it's pretty widely recognised that 2 is okay, 3 is average at best, and 4 is a dumpster fire.
I never posted what you quoted me as saying dude.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Absolutely delusional. Reset what? A $1 billion Aquaman movie? A $1 billion Wonder Woman movie? Who the hell though these two characters would earn a billion on their solo efforts? How many solo Marvel movies earned a billion? I can think of only Iron Man 3 and Black Panther out of the 20 or so movies they have released so far.

Even Justice League, Suicide Squad and Batman vs Superman which were considered flops made $800 million plus. snyder Cut was very well received. WTF are these guys doing?

And the whole Kevin Feige thing is hilarious. You dont have Kevin Feige. Its like saying we will do what Spielberg did with Saving private ryan. Well, no one can do what Spielberg can do.

RAÏSanÏa

Not really. Kang Dynasty leads into Secret Wars. We have 3 years until those two movies ... So far... No sign of Doom being THAT big. Remember, Kang was responsible for a multiversal war.
Trying to figure out how we get to Battleworld from what we know. Spiderman, Strange . Wanda. Loki. all obvious. BP2 an early preview match.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I wish them luck. Marvel could certainly use some competition. But I personally have little interest in DC or it’s characters.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Absolutely delusional. Reset what? A $1 billion Aquaman movie? A $1 billion Wonder Woman movie? Who the hell though these two characters would earn a billion on their solo efforts? How many solo Marvel movies earned a billion? I can think of only Iron Man 3 and Black Panther out of the 20 or so movies they have released so far.

Even Justice League, Suicide Squad and Batman vs Superman which were considered flops made $800 million plus. snyder Cut was very well received. WTF are these guys doing?

And the whole Kevin Feige thing is hilarious. You dont have Kevin Feige. Its like saying we will do what Spielberg did with Saving private ryan. Well, no one can do what Spielberg can do.

That's the bit they can't accept. They want the big shared universe bullshit, without understanding that the only reason that has worked for Marvel is because of Kevin Feige.

DC don't have Kevin Feige, so don't try to do the big shared universe bullshit!

God, they're frustrating cunts, the lot of them.

Frustrated Head GIF

Top Bottom