• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We know that 8K is achievable on the new consoles but when should devs choose 8K over fidelity?

onQ123

By my calculations these consoles should be able to run games with higher graphics levels than PS3 & Xbox 360 at 8K .

I would like to see stuff like Arcade Racers or 2.5D Fighting Games take advantage of the really high resolution consoles because this is actually the biggest jump in resolution between console generations we have seen 1080P to 8K is 16X the resolution.

FStubbs

8k is a waste right now. Takes too much resources just to cater to the very tiny group of gamers.

Also how is fighting game can have an advantage over anything that is not 8K? If its DOA Volleyball you may have a point.
They said the same thing about 4K a few years back. They'll start pushing 8K once 4K TV sales plateau. Then you'll have GAF threads about how 4K makes their eyes bleed.

intbal

4K is nearly overkill already.
With a 75" screen, sure it's beneficial.

8K will forever be pointless for any venue other than movie theaters.

onQ123

They said the same thing about 4K a few years back. They'll start pushing 8K once 4K TV sales plateau. Then you'll have GAF threads about how 4K makes their eyes bleed.
I remember when NeoGAF was mad as hell about me talking about 4K

recursive

By my calculations these consoles should be able to run games with higher graphics levels than PS3 & Xbox 360 at 8K .

I would like to see stuff like Arcade Racers or 2.5D Fighting Games take advantage of the really high resolution consoles because this is actually the biggest jump in resolution between console generations we have seen 1080P to 8K is 16X the resolution.
Easy answer is never. 4k 60fps is out of reach for most games and 8k games with snes graphics is dumb.

Tschumi

U know what 8k means for me?

Another fucking HD cable upgrade.

Piss off with 8k, I would need magnifying spectacles to see the difference anyway.

j0hnnix

Baby steps, get 4k(non-dynamic) 60fps first. 60fps should be the main goal for 4k resolution. 8k is so unnecessary. Then move towards VR/AR being the future imo.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
When 8K TVs are mainstream.

Hoddi

You don't need an 8k TV to benefit from 8k resolutions. Downsampling from 8k to 4k often shows a very visible improvement over native 4k and I've run loads of games this way on my PC. And it's just as visible on my 27" monitor as on my 65" OLED.

Most modern games won't be able to manage this but there are tons of older games that look fantastic at 8k. Most games from the PS360 era should easily manage 8k60 on the XSX/PS5 and it makes them look gorgeous.

Here's MK8 running on my crappy old GTX1060 and it still managed over 30fps. My newer 2080 Ti doesn't even break a sweat and can even run this at 10k60.

Cemu-2019-06-16-17-51-18-733.png

Last edited:
I’m an atheist, but sometimes I wish there was a god just so I could pray and ask him to roll graphics back to PS2 level and keep them there for a decade. Imagine all the shit devs would have to come up with to make their games interesting. Imagine all the stupid threads we’d be spared on this board.

Oh, who am I kidding. We’d just get daily 50 page threads full of people arguing about what games will look like in 2032.

onQ123

You don't need an 8k TV to benefit from 8k resolutions. Downsampling from 8k to 4k often shows a very visible improvement over native 4k and I've run loads of games this way on my PC. And it's just as visible on my 27" monitor as on my 65" OLED.

Most modern games won't be able to manage this but there are tons of older games that look fantastic at 8k. Most games from the PS360 era should easily manage 8k60 on the XSX/PS5 and it makes them look gorgeous.

Here's MK8 running on my crappy old GTX1060 and it still managed over 30fps.

These people don't seem to get this some games will look better with super clean graphics .

Celcius

°Temp. member

Here's MK8 running on my crappy old GTX1060 and it still managed over 30fps. My newer 2080 Ti doesn't even break a sweat and can even run this at 10k60.

This makes me really hope a Switch successor can upscale Switch games

Neo_game

1440P is the good enough IMO for these consoles. Gfx fidelity is more important not the amount of pixels. As they say it is the quality that matters not the quantity.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
4K has been a joy but the nature of technology is there’s always something better.

Yer, people were spewing the same crap about the transition from 720p to 1080p.

Turns out they didn't need a 90" display to tell the difference.
That’s not a great argument given that every other variable in that equation hasn’t changed.

Ok, maybe 2 million pixels is a big improvement over 1 million pixels. And maybe 8 million pixels has some benefit over 2 million. But 33 million pixels? Wouldn’t you rather have 120fps or better textures, models, post-processing, etc?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt 8k will be standard at some point before any jumps in AI. I bet in 2050 when there's PS9 and Xbox Series XXXXX we'd probably get 32k res before smart AI.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
When i can do 8k with 140+ hz and i can readily buy the equipment for a non-scalped price? Why not. Until then....

Last edited:

yurinka

4K tvs are starting to become mainstream, so devs now focus more on 4K. Almost nobody has 8K tvs, and this includes the devs. It's too soon to waste budget money on it. And well, consoles barely can achieve native 4K at steady 60fps with nice visuals, so we'd need better hardware to have 8K games with other than super simple visuals. Look at Nintendo, they don't even support 4K and people is fine with it.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
It's really hard to imagine 8K becoming a thing so soon. Talking mid gen refresh soon. Next gen seems more likely for the introduction. Consoles can't hit 60fps without severe compromises so I'd much prefer additional power going towards a stable framerate rather than another res bump. Graphics whores and resolution whores need to chill the fuck out!

onQ123

4K tvs are starting to become mainstream, so devs now focus more on 4K. Almost nobody has 8K tvs, and this includes the devs. It's too soon to waste budget money on it. And well, consoles barely can achieve native 4K at steady 60fps with nice visuals, so we'd need better hardware to have 8K games with other than super simple visuals. Look at Nintendo, they don't even support 4K and people is fine with it.
I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to make a 8k game than it would be to make a high fidelity 4K game.

Top Bottom