• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We know that 8K is achievable on the new consoles but when should devs choose 8K over fidelity?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Considering less then 0.1% of people have 8k tvs, its seems not worth the effort.

Maybe it could benifit VR.

xPikYx

4k is more than enough, we don't need 8k, companies will try to push new resolutions like this to sell their new tvs/monitors. In gaming 4k is enough and we got more important results to achieve like path tracing before talking about higher resolutions

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
We’re still waiting on Sony to enable 8K for PS5. Once it’s actually playable then hopefully there will be more 8K games

Wait, there's 8k on the box and they still haven't even turned on the 8k output? And some people on this forum roast the series s alive for 1080p? Where are they screaming the injustice in here? False advertising, mis representation, bla bla bla.........

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Must be nice all you folks with 8k TV's. I'm still sitting over here tryna figure out if my Samsung KS8000 can do 120 fps via interpolation on games.

Newsflash....IT DOESN'T!

Sosokrates

You don't need a 8k TV to benefit from games targeting 8k
Most people cant tell the difference between reconstructed 4k and native 4k, so native 8k will likely be less of difference.

Plus at nomal viewing distances you need like a 60inch+ to notice res above 4k.

Last edited:

onQ123

Wait, there's 8k on the box and they still haven't even turned on the 8k output? And some people on this forum roast the series s alive for 1080p? Where are they screaming the injustice in here? False advertising, mis representation, bla bla bla.........
It's not enabled on Xbox Series X either they both said they will enable it when there is 8k content.

Series X has 8K on the chip
KkOCLkf.png

onQ123

Most people cant tell the difference between reconstructed 4k and native 4k, so native 8k will likely be less kf difference.

Plus at nomal viewing distances you need like a 60inch+ to notice res above 4k.
People say that BS every time & get proved wrong every time.

clem84

Gold Member
I don't think 8K, the traditional way, will ever be worth it. Way too taxing for the minuscule benefits.

8K with dedicated on board chips that does DLSS or something similar, sure. The tech, both software and hardware, doesn't seem to have matured enough yet though.

Sosokrates

They said it about 720p to 1080p they said it about 1080p to 4k.

Lol, imagine comparing those differences to 4k to 8k.

Apart from the seriesS for some people, the vast majority of people are happy with resolution the current gen systems are delivering, people seem more interested in better effects, geometry and 60fps, along with more realistic NPCs and game worlds.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It's not enabled on Xbox Series X either they both said they will enable it when there is 8k content.

Series X has 8K on the chip
KkOCLkf.png

Right, so again, why aren't MS and Sony being held to same imaginary standard now in place for the series S, for false advertising the resolution. I mean this is even more blatant that Series S, at least it hits 1440P on a bunch of games and is actually enabled.

onQ123

Lol, imagine comparing those differences to 4k to 8k.

Apart from the seriesS for some people, the vast majority of people are happy with resolution the current gen systems are delivering, people seem more interested in better effects, geometry and 60fps, along with more realistic NPCs and game worlds.
All games are not the same this would be a option for devs who don't need all the effects & different stuff going on on the screen.

Sosokrates

All games are not the same this would be a option for devs who don't need all the effects & different stuff going on on the screen.
Personally i cant really tell the difference with 6k supersampled to 4k, maybe i could with 8k but I doubt it.

But i guess its a nice feature to have.

Last edited:
There are metrics from each console on the screens availble etc. of course this needs to be paired with projections in screen sales for a long development time, but shifts don’t happen over night.

Last edited:

onQ123

Personally i cant really tell the difference with 6k supersampled to 4k, maybe i could with 8k but I doubt it.

But i guess its a nice feature to have.

DF Pretty much said The Touryst still looked somewhat like native 4K on Xbox Series X but PS5 you could see the difference

around 7:30 mark

Sosokrates

I kinda hope simpler indie games also improve in visuals. UE5 is making it easier for indie games to have better visuals.

I much prefer simpler games have some cool physics simulation or realtime global illumination.

Sosokrates

DF Pretty much said The Touryst still looked somewhat like native 4K on Xbox Series X but PS5 you could see the difference

around 7:30 mark

So what if they did?

After just watching that clip it appears that something beyond the resolution increase is improving the edges on PS5, edges look more aliased on the xsx, which makes no sense considering im viewing it on my 6inch smartphone @ 1440p. Its likely better anti aliasing.

Last edited:

onQ123

So what if they did?

After just watching that clip it appears that something beyond the resolution increase is improving the edges on PS5, edges look more aliased on the xsx, which makes no sense considering im viewing it on my 6inch smartphone @ 1440p. Its likely better anti aliasing.

There is no anti aliasing in this game SS is the AA

Sosokrates

There is no anti aliasing in this game SS is the AA

Then something is going on because the staircasing on edges on xsx seems to be the same as thr ps4 pro version despite a far higher res.
Look at the captains hat and the hair.
Infact the staircasing(jaggies) on xsx look really similer to the PS4 version lol.
oAf0FmY.jpg
AaxWAWU.jpg

Last edited:
Once developers actually release playable games. 8k can get fucked to hell. I want games, with no bugs, and stable launch.
This.

The absolute state of modern gaming for is leaning towards atrocious these days.

With the exception of (a little more than half) first party games, it seems that that third party AAA game qualities have been sacrificed to meet deadlines and pushing out games in a horrible state.

It's a shite state of affairs and a huge reason why I haven't bought any AAA game since early 2020.

Sosokrates

This.

The absolute state of modern gaming for is leaning towards atrocious these days.

With the exception of (a little more than half) first party games, it seems that that third party AAA game qualities have been sacrificed to meet deadlines and pushing out games in a horrible state.

It's a shite state of affairs and a huge reason why I haven't bought any AAA game since early 2020.

To be fair older games ran even worse. 360 games had plenty of times with sub 30fps, same with ps2, ps1,n64 etc

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel 8k is a big waste but it’s probably not. That said I don’t mind 4k even at 48” up close and I had 27” 4k monitor before. Both these sizes need as much anti aliasing anyway

onQ123

Then something is going on because the staircasing on edges on xsx seems to be the same as thr ps4 pro version despite a far higher res.
Look at the captains hat and the hair.
Infact the staircasing(jaggies) on xsx look really similer to the PS4 version lol.
oAf0FmY.jpg
AaxWAWU.jpg

Probably because SS is the only AA & 6K don't give you a prefect 2x2 SS for 4K.

UnNamed

Banned
This is why I hate (this aspect of) PC gaming, we could have real life quality games with full Raytracing effects and physics to the max, but instead we have 8K/60 games with PS3 graphics.

onQ123

We can play that game all night but we all know neither machine is any more capable of 8k games than the series S is of 4k. The point is that both are misleading yet only the series S gets held to account.

Who is holding Series S accountable for not doing 4K? what are you even talking about & what does that have to do with 8K?

Sosokrates

because 8K is 4X 4K resolution it's 2X the vertical pixels & 2X the horizontal pixels so you get 4 pixels down sampled into every 1 pixel on your 4K screen.

If thats the case,its a pretty terrible job for the xsx version if there massive resolution increase has a similar staircasing issue as the PS4 version.

MonarchJT

Banned
like for that game available.....8k in these console is just for very VERY poor graphics games....
These consoles already have problems at 2k with modern graphics ... how do you think 8k are feasible (I say aside in games with "nonexistent" graphics like that one there)

onQ123

If thats the case,its a pretty terrible job for the xsx version if there massive resolution increase has a similar staircasing issue as the PS4 version.

My guess is that they was shooting for 8K but ended up having to go with 6K

like for that game available.....8k in these console is just for very VERY poor graphics games....
These consoles already have problems at 2k with modern graphics ... how do you think 8k are feasible (I say aside in games with "nonexistent" graphics like that one there)

The Touryst isn't poor graphics though

Sosokrates

And even then the render budget is better used elsewhere. The benefits of 8k are not worth the render budget it requires.

THE DUCK

Who is holding Series S accountable for not doing 4K? what are you even talking about & what does that have to do with 8K?

There's a group on these forums roasting Series S for not hitting 1440p. They say nothing about the more powerfull consoles and lack of 8k, just huge double standard.
Their silence in this thread is conspicuous.

Top Bottom