• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We know that 8K is achievable on the new consoles but when should devs choose 8K over fidelity?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Never, it's not worth it. 8K is pointless unless you sit a few feet from a massive TV (IMO it's mostly a marketing gimmick), and these consoles can barely do 4K60 without huge sacrifices.

The Touryst is a neat example of 8K rendering being used for supersampling, but that's an example where I feel like they just did it because they could, because it's originally a very simple Switch game. They could have achieved almost identical results at 4K with some decent AA solution.

Last edited:

onQ123

There's a group on these forums roasting Series S for not hitting 1440p. They say nothing about the more powerfull consoles and lack of 8k, just huge double standard.
Their silence in this thread is conspicuous.

Yeah you shouldn't take people opinions about a console to heart .

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My guess is that they was shooting for 8K but ended up having to go with 6K

The Touryst isn't poor graphics though
Who knows but the staircasing issue almost gone at 8k, but at 6k its not to much different to 1080p is odd.

Sosokrates

Never, it's not worth it. 8K is pointless unless you sit a few feet from a massive TV (IMO it's mostly a marketing gimmick), and these consoles can barely do 4K60 without huge sacrifices.

The Touryst is a neat example of 8K rendering being used for supersampling, but that's an example where I feel like they just did it because they could, because it's originally a very simple Switch game. They could have achieved almost identical results at 4K with some decent AA solution.

Precisely this.

To be fair older games ran even worse. 360 games had plenty of times with sub 30fps, same with ps2, ps1,n64 etc
Agreed, but I'd argue we're talking about the legacy of old consoles with your point.

It does always makes me smile a little when playing older games and realizing how powerful a childs imagination is to see all of the old games we playing growing up to be absolutely realistic in our minds lol

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Ffs don't turn this shit into another chase after a higher resolution. I just want all games to run in 60 fps, either in 4K or slightly lower res.

Current gen consoles are struggling with native 4K in last gen games. Once current gen games arrive, the resolution will drop even further (I expect 1440p30 and 1080p60 to be the targets). We're very far away from 8K becoming anything close to a standard.

cormack12

Gold Member
When 8k is achieveable on these consoles with a notable game will be a better time to have this discussion. This is hardly a game that is pushing much:

As for remasters, GTA:SA is more than 15 years old and look at what we just got.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Depends on how much games are going to push those consoles. If the PS5 will see games that run at sub 1080p, 4k will be the target for refresh. If games are not going to be pushing forwards with visual solutions 8k becomes the target. Next generation gpu's for PC will introduce 8k gaming, a gen after that consoles will probably follow in some way.

Tams

Gold Member
Never?

The current PlayStation and Xbox aren't powerful to run 8k games at decent framerates and barring a miraculous reduction in the computational power needed for 8k never will. Hell, they struggle with 4k at times. I suppose some sightseeing 'games' would be okay.

Not that there's much point trying for it this generation anyway. 8k TVs and monitors are still too expensive and 4k is fine for the majority of gamers. At the point where 8k matters, you're entering a much smaller market of very large displays that only small number of players are going to be able to have. Even if such displays become affordable, many people simply won't have physical room for them.

GarlicPrawn

Neo Member
Once 4K 60fps with quality visuals work en is common place. Right now most games dont even reach that on consoles. 8K seems something to shoot for with the next gen or pro versions of current gen.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
8K is such a fucking meme. People will seriously buy 55" 8K TVs to put them on the other side of the room and claim they look amazing.

If you're not using that things as a PC monitor you've been conned.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Then something is going on because the staircasing on edges on xsx seems to be the same as thr ps4 pro version despite a far higher res.
Look at the captains hat and the hair.
Infact the staircasing(jaggies) on xsx look really similer to the PS4 version lol.
oAf0FmY.jpg
AaxWAWU.jpg
Oh noes, not the jaggies!

The horror for jaggies never dies, does it?

I’m on an iPad at 30cm and I had to pinch out to see the jaggies here. Is a 20/20 vision person really gonna notice the jaggies on a 65” TV at normal viewing distance? And give a shit about them, to boot? Bad textures catch the eye much more than these fine jaggies.

Besides, why even go that far for the games that can actually run at that resolution on consoles?
It’s obvious that people would want 8K for the AAA games, not for indies. It’s hilarious how a (good) indie from 2019 that nobody gave a shit about anymore suddenly sprang back into people’s attention when it showed that PS5 can do 8K.

I’m sure that when your local TV retailer wants to sell you a 8K set, they’ll use The Touryst as Exhibit A. Sure. Positive. No better material to sell you on 8K, nuh-uh.

The saddest thing about resolution wars is that your current 4K TV is making more games look uglier than it’s making look better. Zero practical reason to chase higher resolutions when most content can’t go that far, yet it’s the only way screen makers know to make you buy a new screen when you know shit about the technicalities. Solution looking for a problem, if there ever was one.

With the sheer amount of people crying of FPS and how 30fps is "totally unplayable", I dont see the demand for 8k being very high.

That and no1 owns an 8k TV, atleast not enough for a dev to justify the resources.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
When 4k started to become a thing a small but significant amount of people argued that it wasn't needed yet. The gains over 1080p on a decent screen are small but significant enough to favor 4k. I have never seen 8K, but I have a hard time imagining that it would be noticeable to me. Maybe young people with good eyes and 90 inch screens will think the increase in data is worth it for the upgrade in quality. I would prefer the resources go elsewhere. I'd even welcome a trip back to 3D for movies as I am sure they could do a much better job than the 1080p tech we had years ago.

Do people really feel the need for 8K?

onQ123

Current gen consoles are struggling with native 4K in last gen games. Once current gen games arrive, the resolution will drop even further (I expect 1440p30 and 1080p60 to be the targets). We're very far away from 8K becoming anything close to a standard.
This isn't about 8k becoming a standard it's about choosing 8k for some games and getting a really clean output.

Mobilemofo

We said the same shit about 4K in 2012. Give it a few years.

It wasn’t even 10 years ago when 1080p 60fps was the shit. Now that’s for dirty poors.

i dunno man. lot to be said for a nice clean image at 1080p or 1440p with a nice 60fps. or even a nice 50fps.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
When 4k started to become a thing a small but significant amount of people argued that it wasn't needed yet. The gains over 1080p on a decent screen are small but significant enough to favor 4k. I have never seen 8K, but I have a hard time imagining that it would be noticeable to me. Maybe young people with good eyes and 90 inch screens will think the increase in data is worth it for the upgrade in quality. I would prefer the resources go elsewhere. I'd even welcome a trip back to 3D for movies as I am sure they could do a much better job than the 1080p tech we had years ago.

Do people really feel the need for 8K?
4K still isn’t needed, a lot of pc gamers play at 1440 without issues. a lot of console games barely get above 1440.

the only reason some people cry about not being 4K is because it was hammered into them and now it’s expected.

Last edited:
lmfao. these consoles might support 8K output but that's not the same as rendering 8K. if my PC struggles with 4K then there ain't no console doing 8K lol. maybe a small 2d indy game will do 8K rendering but c'mon...

8K is competely unnecessary. Don't fall for it. Sony and others might slap 8K on a box but it's just marketing bullshit. 4K was the same. Mind when we got 4K consoles? The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X? yeah how did that work out? Some games ran at 4K but most games were being rendered at 1440-1800p and upscaling. 8K is a much bigger step up and let me tell you no PS5 or XSX is doing 8K. Not even if we get mid gen refreshes like a PS5 Pro or Xbox Series XZ.

PLUS, if you're playing games at 4K right now on a TV that is 42-75" you ain't gonna see much a difference by going up to 8K. MAYBE on a 75" if you sit close but 8K TVs are generally meant to be 80" or more. It makes absolutely no sense to have a 8K TV at anything below 80" unless you are sitting real close to it.

imo 1440p/4K are the perfect resolutions. There really is no need to go beyond that. I know people will think "hurr people said that about 1080p!!" but seriously...we're really at the point of diminishing returns. the step from 1440p to 4K is only a bit noticeable. 4K to 5K is hard to notice. 4K to 8K i bet most people won't even notice.

stop thinking about consoles doing 8K.... RIGHT NOW. don't fall for the marketing bullshit. It's not happening. Any 8K we get will be games rendered at 1800-2880p....8K is 7680x4320. So just remember that if we get a mid gen refresh of a PS5 Pro/Xbox Series XZ that claims to do 8K. It'll be the whole PS4 Pro/XB1X situation again.

Celcius

°Temp. member
There are 8K videos on YouTube plus people could film their own, and the tourist game wants to release an 8K patch. I don’t get what Sony and MS are waiting on at this point.

There are 8K videos on YouTube plus people could film their own, and the tourist game wants to release an 8K patch. I don’t get what Sony and MS are waiting on at this point.
Sony's 8k tvs can't actually output 8k lol. They just scale 4k to 8k.

When you think about that, it's no wonder ps5 can't output 4k.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
IIRC The Touryst does render at 8K internally, but Sony hasn't enabled 8K output from the HDMI 2.1 port in the PS5's firmware.

I don't think 8K output is an even remotely priority for Sony, though. One year has gone by and they still haven't enabled VRR which I find to be atrocious at this point.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The PS5 has around 8x the perf of PS4 quite a leap. To really see that difference developers should aim for 1440p or 1080p. So enjoy the high resolution cross gen ports for time being but expect much lower resolution when these consoles are pushed hard.

concentrate on making a good game first and than worry about resolution after. i like resolution increases but i also want to see improvements in other areas too.

onQ123

concentrate on making a good game first and than worry about resolution after. i like resolution increases but i also want to see improvements in other areas too.

I think this would create some better games because devs can make simple games that still look really good so they can focus on gameplay & other stuff.

I think this would create some better games because devs can make simple games that still look really good so they can focus on gameplay & other stuff.

remember the old days when games would actually have to get better and better? now its becoming too much about resolution and there is stagnation in other areas. its kinda sad whats happened to game development over the last 5 years. we're even starting to get games that are so glitchy and unfinished, that they shouldnt even be allowed to be sold.

FStubbs

4K is also pointless for many of those reasons, until people (re: TV manufacturers) convinced people otherwise.

Sosokrates

Oh noes, not the jaggies!

The horror for jaggies never dies, does it?

I’m on an iPad at 30cm and I had to pinch out to see the jaggies here. Is a 20/20 vision person really gonna notice the jaggies on a 65” TV at normal viewing distance? And give a shit about them, to boot? Bad textures catch the eye much more than these fine jaggies.

Besides, why even go that far for the games that can actually run at that resolution on consoles?
It’s obvious that people would want 8K for the AAA games, not for indies. It’s hilarious how a (good) indie from 2019 that nobody gave a shit about anymore suddenly sprang back into people’s attention when it showed that PS5 can do 8K.

I’m sure that when your local TV retailer wants to sell you a 8K set, they’ll use The Touryst as Exhibit A. Sure. Positive. No better material to sell you on 8K, nuh-uh.

The saddest thing about resolution wars is that your current 4K TV is making more games look uglier than it’s making look better. Zero practical reason to chase higher resolutions when most content can’t go that far, yet it’s the only way screen makers know to make you buy a new screen when you know shit about the technicalities. Solution looking for a problem, if there ever was one.

I agree, I just think its werid that 1080p to 6k wont clear up jaggies but 6k to 8k will.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
please stop at 4k, i dont want to run games at 15fps low setting\
4k is pointless for monitor gamer like me

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Just like last gen, which should have been better, we are still talking about huge open worlds that are lifeless because everything has gone into graphics. i mean, BF is the perfect example, 128 players max? Holy shit they should be pushing 200 minimum, but all worried about pretty colors and high res. Pathetic

Filben

When I can start counting pixels on my 120 inch screen I'm sitting only 1 metre away from. So, realistically speaking, never.

Kataploom

Gold Member
4K isn’t waste. Playing on a big tv there is a huge difference going from 1080p to 4K.
Exactly, ONLY on big TVs it matters, on most TVs it's just a waste of resources. I'd say 1080p (and maybe 1440p) is actually in most TV sizes sweet spot. I played on an Xbox SX on a 4K TV weeks ago and am still to be amazed... less jaggies? Well, that's all I notices, but even then I see no jaggies in Back 4 Blood on my PC monitor

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You don't need an 8k TV to benefit from 8k resolutions. Downsampling from 8k to 4k often shows a very visible improvement over native 4k and I've run loads of games this way on my PC. And it's just as visible on my 27" monitor as on my 65" OLED.

Most modern games won't be able to manage this but there are tons of older games that look fantastic at 8k. Most games from the PS360 era should easily manage 8k60 on the XSX/PS5 and it makes them look gorgeous.

Here's MK8 running on my crappy old GTX1060 and it still managed over 30fps. My newer 2080 Ti doesn't even break a sweat and can even run this at 10k60.

Cemu-2019-06-16-17-51-18-733.png
God Gabe bless PC gaming where devs don't need to choose our resolutions S2

Top Bottom