• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird-ass desert island, one gaming GENRE allowed.

Occasionally hip/humorous examplars provided for each genre

• FPS (Rise of the Triad)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • FPS/RPG hybrid (Deus Ex)

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Action RPG (Dungeon Siege)

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • JRPG (Persona 4 Golden)

• Turn Based Strategy (Alpha Centauri)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Real Time Strategy (Rise of Legends)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real Time Action Strategy (Ground Control)

• Roguelike (Shovel Knight)

• Soulsborne (Max Payne)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • RTWP (Neverwinter Nights 2)

• Sports (SSX3)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Tycoon (Airport Inc. - EU name for Airport Tycoon 1)

• Management Sim (Football Manager 2009)

• Pervy Game (Leisure Suit Larry)

• Point and Click (Grim Fandango)

• SHMUP (Ikaruga)

• Strategy Game (Commandos 3: Destination Berlin)

• Action Adventure (Conker's Bad Fur Day: Live and Reloaded)

• Turn Based RPG (Larian's Gate 3)

• Survival Horror (COD Cold War)

• Open World Sandbox (Yaeger)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • WRPG (Fallout)

• Fighting Game (Sony Playstation All-Stars)

• Metroidvania (Steamworld Dig 2)

• Crowd Fighter (Spartan: Total Warrior/Yakuza)

• Total voters

Tschumi

The natives have so far attained Ray Tracing but they're doing it on a woeful number of TFLOPs, so they insist that they can only support one gaming genre.

I'll add any genres you request, just hold off on your vote until I add it i guess.

Yes Soulsborne is a joke i died ten MILLION times playing Max Payne 1 in 2001)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Platformers aren't on the list, and I want something that includes Mario, Contra, Castlevania, Gunstar Heroes, etc. :lollipop_content:

jaysius

Banned
I'd take Snowrunner, that's not a choice, but that thing can keep you busy.

But I'd be too busy doing things like... you know surviving to play games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gotta be JRPG. Most games in the genre are lengthy, and there is usually a ton of variety as well as side-quests, minigames, etc. If I was on a weird-ass desert island and could only play JRPGs the rest of my life, I'd still be a happy man.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
tetris GIF

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
It's not on the list, but I would definitely choose the Metroidvania genre. :messenger_heart:

(Metroid series, Castlevania SotN, Hollow Knight)

Last edited:

trikster40

Horrible examples for action adventure. Why not put Last of Us, Uncharted. Control, Tomb Raider, etc. Change Conker to platformer and list Mario, etc

Last edited:

Tschumi

Shit, I voted soulsborne and then I saw wrpg and that's my choice if I think about it..
u can change ur votes brah

What genre is Neogaf?
couldn't be more obvious... survival horror

zombie running GIF

Y no immersive sim?
PSA for anyone trying to think up obscure genres:

I ran outta poll slots lol so no more, i guess in this scenario the civilization on this island is only aware of a limited number of genres

Horrible examples for action adventure. Why not put Last of Us, Uncharted. Control, Tomb Raider, etc. Change Conker to platformer and list Mario, etc
they were deliberately troll'y/humorous examples

Last edited:
I choose MMOs. The only reason I dont play them much is because I spent so much time on Final Fantasy XI and XIV, there wasn't time for all the other games. However, if I can't play them all anyway, give me MMOs.

Last edited:

Pejo

Hunting games (Monster Hunter, God Eater, Toukiden, Freedom Wars). C'mon OP, you're missing some of the most endlessly replayable genres in gaming.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Immersive Sims are obscure now?
According to the titles in the search I've done just now you could put most of them in other genres, "rpg/fps hybrid" etc... Prey, a Dark Messiah, EYE, System Shock 2, Vampire bloodlines, Pathologic, STALKER, BioShock, BioShock infinite, thief... I mean all of these titles can fit into other genres on the poll..

... I dunno i think i was implying that certain personalities came here not to select an option but to suggest one i hadn't thought of..

To be fair overnight i was annoyed to see i didn't have "3rd person rpg" like elder scrolls or dragon age, poop, but i guess people can make the stretch to call that wrpg or something because I've not heard any complaints on that one

I chose action adventure because I saw Conker, so I guess you're lumping in 3D platformers as action adventure.

But seriously, why didn't you put platformers as an option? I see MetroidVania which is cool, but there are a lot of platformers that don't fit that description at all. And Shovel Knight as a roguelike? What in tarnation?! How is Shovel Knight a roguelike?

If platformer was an option, I'd have chosen that. Sorry to complain so much, I'm just salty.

According to the titles in the search I've done just now you could put most of them in other genres, "rpg/fps hybrid" etc... Prey, a Dark Messiah, EYE, System Shock 2, Vampire bloodlines, Pathologic, STALKER, BioShock, BioShock infinite, thief... I mean all of these titles can fit into other genres on the poll..

... I dunno i think i was implying that certain personalities came here not to select an option but to suggest one i hadn't thought of..

To be fair overnight i was annoyed to see i didn't have "3rd person rpg" like elder scrolls or dragon age, poop, but i guess people can make the stretch to call that wrpg or something because I've not heard any complaints on that one
I wasn’t taking a shot at you in my first post. I was just sad not to see it. If I could only play one genres on an island, it would be a toss up between that and survival horror.

Tschumi

it's a joke about cheat engines :p

I chose action adventure because I saw Conker, so I guess you're lumping in 3D platformers as action adventure.

But seriously, why didn't you put platformers as an option? I see MetroidVania which is cool, but there are a lot of platformers that don't fit that description at all. And Shovel Knight as a roguelike? What in tarnation?! How is Shovel Knight a roguelike?

If platformer was an option, I'd have chosen that. Sorry to complain so much, I'm just salty.
i guess my genre blind spots have been identified :p I dunno, I spent about 2 minutes writing out most of that poll and in the end I only had 3 or 4 slots for more genres so I guess it's set in stone

---

Fuck me, I thought JRPG had moved to the front with 6 votes but WRPG is lurking near the bottom of the table with a similar number, arrrgh NeoGAF is not picking a favourite genre! fuuuu

Last edited:
Top Bottom