• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird SteelSeries Artis 9X behavior

Topher

Gold Member
Bought these headsets for my Xbox Series X. Decent sound. Very comfortable. Still using micro-USB for some silly reason. Great build quality.

So then there is the weirdness.

1) I turn on the headset and it turns on my Xbox. Why? These are designed to be used with Xbox and other bluetooth devices. So I'm using this headset for both Xbox and PC gaming and when I turn on the headset for PC, Xbox turns on.
2) I turn off the headset......and it turns on my Xbox. WTF?
3) I turn on the headset and it mutes the sound on my PC. Again....WTF?

So seriously thinking about returning these and getting something else. Paid too much for these things for annoyances like these.

Recommendations?

Some I have been looking at trying:

1) Xbox Wireless Headset. For those who have these, do they also turn on the Xbox the headset is turned on? Wondering if this is due to the direct connection to Xbox and not through a dongle.
2) Astro A50. Worth the hefty price?
3) Audeze Penrose. Ditto
4) Lucidsound LS50X
5) Razer Kaira Pro for Xbox
6) Others?

Topher

Gold Member
tumbleweed GIF
crickets GIF
Lonely I Give Up GIF

jaysius

Banned
I was in the same boat as you, I was looking for a good gaming headset that also sounded good for music, the ONLY thing that came semi-close to fitting those 2 use cases was the Audeze Penrose, most of these things sound like actual shit for music.

I ended up getting a wired pair of Phillips Fidelio X2HR, not a gaming headset, but they are open which sounds good and they're amazing with music.

Topher

Gold Member
I was in the same boat as you, I was looking for a good gaming headset that also sounded good for music, the ONLY thing that came semi-close to fitting those 2 use cases was the Audeze Penrose, most of these things sound like actual shit for music.

I ended up getting a wired pair of Phillips Fidelio X2HR, not a gaming headset, but they are open which sounds good and they're amazing with music.

I bought a pair of Xbox Wireless today at Best Buy. Those sound pretty good for the price, but just not very comfortable. Clamping force on the head is a bit much for my oversized skull. Going to try them for a day and see though. But yeah, I'm sticking with other headphones for music.

I have a pair of Audeze Penrose on order from Amazon. I've heard the sound is pretty awesome.

After comparing Xbox headset with the SteelSeries, the Artis 9X sound a bit better, but it is twice as much. If comfort were not a factor Xbox would probably be the favorite at this point.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Hate to say it, but as far as wireless headsets go, the Steel Series is at the top of the list. Otherwise, just get a wired pair.

FrankWza

I have a pair of Audeze Penrose on order from Amazon. I've heard the sound is pretty awesome.
They do sound good but they are too small for me. The clamp is too much for me too. If they fit well, the Penrose are the way to go for overall sound/convenience/wireless. Otherwise you have to draw a line and prioritize what is most important and then choose accordingly. The arctis don’t sound twice as good as PS and x wireless headsets. They are just more comfortable. If you get the Penrose x you can use them on PS5 as well. I think the arctis PRO can as well but you need to use optical in order for them to sound right and to bypass the volume limitations. Also, when I used the Penrose they had mic issues on PS so I’m not sure if that issue is on both systems or if it has been firmware fixed. But Planars are without a doubt the way to go. If you do decide you don’t mind wired and the Penrose don’t fit well I would go in that direction.

Topher

Gold Member
They do sound good but they are too small for me. The clamp is too much for me too. If they fit well, the Penrose are the way to go for overall sound/convenience/wireless. Otherwise you have to draw a line and prioritize what is most important and then choose accordingly. The arctis don’t sound twice as good as PS and x wireless headsets. They are just more comfortable. If you get the Penrose x you can use them on PS5 as well. I think the arctis PRO can as well but you need to use optical in order for them to sound right and to bypass the volume limitations. Also, when I used the Penrose they had mic issues on PS so I’m not sure if that issue is on both systems or if it has been firmware fixed. But Planars are without a doubt the way to go. If you do decide you don’t mind wired and the Penrose don’t fit well I would go in that direction.

The tightness is the issue I've heard other bring up as well for Penrose X. If it isn't any worse than Xbox Wireless then I may put up with it as long as the sound quality is that much better, and I mean a lot better. If I shoot a full magazine of rounds, I want to hear each and every bullet hit the ground for that price.

I'm covered with PS5 since it works with USB bluetooth adapters. Nothing I've tried beats Sony 1000MX4 as far as wireless goes, imo. Trying to match that in a gaming headset isn't easy, I'm coming to find out. Gaming headsets overall, are a bit of a rip-off compared to non-gaming options. Haven't found a single one with noise cancellation at the same price range as my Sonys. Nature of the beast, I guess.

I would like to help but can’t as I have the 7X which is made for Series X and PS5. Works like a beauty and sounds great.

I may end up with those as the price is much more reasonable than the 9X especially with the issues I listed.

Last edited:

MikeM

I may end up with those as the price is much more reasonable than the 9X especially with the issues I listed.
You won’t be disappointed. I do find tho that the sound through them sounds fuller on PS5 compared to Series X. Series X sounds flatter for whatever reason.

Topher

Gold Member
You won’t be disappointed. I do find tho that the sound through them sounds fuller on PS5 compared to Series X. Series X sounds flatter for whatever reason.

Having a hard time finding one right now for some reason. Amazon and Newegg only have them from third parties (which I avoid if possible). Best Buy doesn't have it for sale at all. I'm guessing they are just popular accessories for Xbox right now.

MikeM

Having a hard time finding one right now for some reason. Amazon and Newegg only have them from third parties (which I avoid if possible). Best Buy doesn't have it for sale at all. I'm guessing they are just popular accessories for Xbox right now.
I bought direct from Arctis.

Topher

Gold Member
I bought direct from Arctis.

Hmmm, Artis' prices are a bit higher than I was seeing elsewhere. I bought the 9X on sale so I'd probably stick with those rather than pay full price for 7X. But I'll keep an eye out on stock replenishing.

FrankWza

The tightness is the issue I've heard other bring up as well for Penrose X. If it isn't any worse than Xbox Wireless then I may put up with it as long as the sound quality is that much better, and I mean a lot better. If I shoot a full magazine of rounds, I want to hear each and every bullet hit the ground for that price.

I'm covered with PS5 since it works with USB bluetooth adapters. Nothing I've tried beats Sony 1000MX4 as far as wireless goes, imo. Trying to match that in a gaming headset isn't easy, I'm coming to find out. Gaming headsets overall, are a bit of a rip-off compared to non-gaming options. Haven't found a single one with noise cancellation at the same price range as my Sonys. Nature of the beast, I guess.
Planar is pretty great. It’s still worth getting the Penrose x just in case since the Penrose don’t work with xbox. When it comes to gaming headsets, yes, the quality won’t beat standard headphones. But you’re getting the convenience of mic and mic monitoring and whatever else. The Penrose are true planars and are above any other wireless headsets ive listened to. The aesthetics are gamer but the sound is not. I’m not sure where they stand currently but I know they were updating some issues from launch that it had like a wooshing sound and mic crackle.
I’m pretty sure that all the arctis headsets use the same 40mm drivers. I doubt you’ll find a difference in sound quality over the 9x but they probably have less issues. The 7x are hard to come by because they work with both systems and the 7 or 7p don’t work with xbox. Same as Penrose and Penrose x.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Planar is pretty great. It’s still worth getting the Penrose x just in case since the Penrose don’t work with xbox. When it comes to gaming headsets, yes, the quality won’t beat standard headphones. But you’re getting the convenience of mic and mic monitoring and whatever else. The Penrose are true planars and are above any other wireless headsets ive listened to. The aesthetics are gamer but the sound is not. I’m not sure where they stand currently but I know they were updating some issues from launch that it had like a wooshing sound and mic crackle.

I’m pretty sure that all the arctis headsets use the same 40mm drivers. I doubt you’ll find a difference in sound quality over the 9x but they probably have less issues. The 7x are hard to come by because they work with both systems and the 7 or 7p don’t work with xbox. Same as Penrose and Penrose x.

So weird that the PS version of the 7s don't work with Xbox and yet Xbox version works with PS. Well, you've gotten me pretty excited to try out those Penrose Xs.

FrankWza

So weird that the PS version of the 7s don't work with Xbox and yet Xbox version works with PS. Well, you've gotten me pretty excited to try out those Penrose Xs.
The x has a proprietary connection. Either with a dongle like the Penrose or direct connection, which I believe the Arctic 9 uses?(that is where the issue with connecting probably comes into play) I think the 7x uses a dongle like the Penrose. The PS5 uses an open protocol. I hope the Penrose fit work out for you. Either way, you’ll come to appreciate planars. Nothing better for games imo.

Topher

Gold Member
The x has a proprietary connection. Either with a dongle like the Penrose or direct connection, which I believe the Arctic 9 uses?(that is where the issue with connecting probably comes into play) I think the 7x uses a dongle like the Penrose. The PS5 uses an open protocol. I hope the Penrose fit work out for you. Either way, you’ll come to appreciate planars. Nothing better for games imo.

Thanks bud. I'll report back Saturday when the Penrose arrive.

Topher

Gold Member

I've been using the Penrose today. They sound fantastic. I'm just not sure I can deal with the clamping force. I read elsewhere where people recommend leaving it on a ball or something else overnight to loosen them up a little. I'll try that and see if it helps. But yeah, just based on sound, these are incredible. Of all the headsets I've tried, these are the first ones where I actually had to turn the volume down. Usually I have them all the way up. Love the customization in the app too. I'm just worried that my wee brain may be squeezed out of my ears by the force and ruin the headphones!

But another alternative that phil_t98 phil_t98 pointed out to me are the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portals for Xbox. I knew about them but they cost $500. As much as a damn Xbox! They were on sale today ($150 off) and so I ordered them. Great thing is they have noise cancellation like my Sony's. Going to pick them up at Best Buy tomorrow.

MikeM

I've been using the Penrose today. They sound fantastic. I'm just not sure I can deal with the clamping force. I read elsewhere where people recommend leaving it on a ball or something else overnight to loosen them up a little. I'll try that and see if it helps. But yeah, just based on sound, these are incredible. Of all the headsets I've tried, these are the first ones where I actually had to turn the volume down. Usually I have them all the way up. Love the customization in the app too. I'm just worried that my wee brain may be squeezed out of my ears by the force and ruin the headphones!

But another alternative that phil_t98 phil_t98 pointed out to me are the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portals for Xbox. I knew about them but they cost $500. As much as a damn Xbox! They were on sale today ($150 off) and so I ordered them. Great thing is they have noise cancellation like my Sony's. Going to pick them up at Best Buy tomorrow.
Curious to know of they will work on the PS5.

S0ULZB0URNE

Bought these headsets for my Xbox Series X. Decent sound. Very comfortable. Still using micro-USB for some silly reason. Great build quality.

So then there is the weirdness.

1) I turn on the headset and it turns on my Xbox. Why? These are designed to be used with Xbox and other bluetooth devices. So I'm using this headset for both Xbox and PC gaming and when I turn on the headset for PC, Xbox turns on.
2) I turn off the headset......and it turns on my Xbox. WTF?
3) I turn on the headset and it mutes the sound on my PC. Again....WTF?

So seriously thinking about returning these and getting something else. Paid too much for these things for annoyances like these.

Recommendations?

Some I have been looking at trying:

1) Xbox Wireless Headset. For those who have these, do they also turn on the Xbox the headset is turned on? Wondering if this is due to the direct connection to Xbox and not through a dongle.
2) Astro A50. Worth the hefty price?
3) Audeze Penrose. Ditto
4) Lucidsound LS50X
5) Razer Kaira Pro for Xbox
6) Others?
I been using the 3D Pulse plugged into the Turtle Beach controller and it's amazing.

Every wireless headset I tried with Xbox Series X gives me problems 🤷‍♀️

FrankWza

Yeah they’re made for peanut heads with small ears(I found the ear cups too small and shallow too)
Did you firmware update? Is there still a hiss ?
you can try stretching them out and going with a different size every day. Use a towel or pillow and keep pushing the band more and more over the course of a week or so.
The B&O aren’t planars I don’t think and have small drivers.
Curious to know of they will work on the PS5.
The Penrose x? Yes they work on PS5 as well.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah they’re made for peanut heads with small ears(I found the ear cups too small and shallow too)
Did you firmware update? Is there still a hiss ?
you can try stretching them out and going with a different size every day. Use a towel or pillow and keep pushing the band more and more over the course of a week or so.
The B&O aren’t planars I don’t think and have small drivers.

Updated the firmware, but really mine never had a hiss at all. Sound great right out of the box. They may updated firmware to take care of the hiss at the factory.

The B&O site says:
Driver Type
Electro-dynamic driver w/ Neodymium magnets, 40 mm diameter

Penrose are 100mm. What does that mean? Is that why the Penrose are louder than other headsets?

FrankWza

They may updated firmware to take care of the hiss at the factory.
Probably.
Penrose are 100mm. What does that mean? Is that why the Penrose are louder than other headsets?
It could but also however they’re powered. Planars are usually like double or more than magnetic so they can have more detail and are more responsive and quick. For me its more of a fuller and more effortless sound. I don’t like 40mm for gaming. At least none of the ones I have tried compared to 50mm. Doesn’t look like a big difference but it is. For gaming you want as big a soundstage as possible and I think that’s one of the big benefits of the planars. I can’t speak to the B&O though because I’ve never tried them.

Topher

Gold Member
Probably.

It could but also however they’re powered. Planars are usually like double or more than magnetic so they can have more detail and are more responsive and quick. For me its more of a fuller and more effortless sound. I don’t like 40mm for gaming. At least none of the ones I have tried compared to 50mm. Doesn’t look like a big difference but it is. For gaming you want as big a soundstage as possible and I think that’s one of the big benefits of the planars. I can’t speak to the B&O though because I’ve never tried them.

I looked up the Sony's I have and it also has 40mm dynamic drivers. But they sound extremely good and are still the best sounding headphones so far to me. They are also the most comfortable by far. My preference for the Sony's, however, may be due to just being used to active noise cancellation which is what attracted me to the B&O's in the first place. I read where the Penrose may be trying to improve passive noise cancellation with its tight as hell fit which does make some sense. I do enjoy the extra loud sound they provide though.

If I had to choose right now then I'd go with the Penrose for sound and the SteelSeries for comfort, but I'm more than likely returning the SteelSeries and hope I can loosen up the grip on these Penrose. But we will see if the B&O's make a difference tomorrow.

FrankWza

I looked up the Sony's I have and it also has 40mm dynamic drivers. But they sound extremely good and are still the best sounding headphones so far to me. They are also the most comfortable by far. My preference for the Sony's, however, may be due to just being used to active noise cancellation which is what attracted me to the B&O's in the first place. I read where the Penrose may be trying to improve passive noise cancellation with its tight as hell fit which does make some sense. I do enjoy the extra loud sound they provide though.

If I had to choose right now then I'd go with the Penrose for sound and the SteelSeries for comfort, but I'm more than likely returning the SteelSeries and hope I can loosen up the grip on these Penrose. But we will see if the B&O's make a difference tomorrow.
Yeah I should have written headsets for gaming. Almost always not as good as their headphone equivalent or price points. Your Sonys are headphones and at$300 may use better drivers than gaming headsets usually do. The B&O is a headset for gaming.
As far as noise canceling, they are closed back and pretty tight so it’s possible. Noise canceling is not something I consider when looking at headphones. I like open back because they’re cooler and have more open soundstage for gaming and I don’t like the pressure of closed back. But the Penrose have a pretty wide sound for a closed back.

edit: how is it going back and forth between both consoles?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

You can put a tight pair of headphones on a ton of books, meaning put the books vertical spine facing you like they’d appear in a bookshelf, and then place the headphones over that, overnight to loosen them up, you’ll want slightly more books than the comfort level of your head.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I should have written headsets for gaming. Almost always not as good as their headphone equivalent or price points. Your Sonys are headphones and at$300 may use better drivers than gaming headsets usually do. The B&O is a headset for gaming.
As far as noise canceling, they are closed back and pretty tight so it’s possible. Noise canceling is not something I consider when looking at headphones. I like open back because they’re cooler and have more open soundstage for gaming and I don’t like the pressure of closed back. But the Penrose have a pretty wide sound for a closed back.

Just spent the last 30-40 minutes playing Far Cry 6 with the Penrose. I'm already getting used to the feel so don't think comfort will be an issue. I checked and the B&O Beoplay Portal is essentially the same headphone the Beoplay HX so it will be interesting comparing them to both the Penrose and the Sonys.

Yeah, moving between consoles is pretty easy. I have a USB switch that is connected to my PS5, XSX, and PC that I also have keyboard and mouse connected to. That way I can move all those peripherals between the three devices very easily. The Penrose dongle has a switch to change from Xbox to PC and vice versa. So when my USB is on PC and PS5 then I change the dongle to the "PC" setting and change the dongle to "Xbox" obviously for XSX. Very easy even in this complicated setup I have.

You can put a tight pair of headphones on a ton of books, meaning put the books vertical spine facing you like they’d appear in a bookshelf, and then place the headphones over that, overnight to loosen them up, you’ll want slightly more books than the comfort level of your head.

Good call, bud. I didn't think about using books.

Edit: Thanks again J jaysius . Worked like a charm.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Sticking with Audeze Penrose X. B&O Beoplay Portals made it easy. They don't fucking work. Couldn't connect to Xbox straight out of the box. After many tries, they connected but there was no sound at all. Updated the firmware and stuff started working except noise cancelling stopped working in one ear.

It is too bad too, because these are some extremely comfortable headphones. Unfortunately they put all their effort into design, comfort, and marketing but forgot to make a product that works. $500......that's a joke. Give me a choice between these and Xbox Wireless headset at $100 and I'd go with the official headset every time.

So yeah, comfort issues with Penrose are all sorted out. Thank you, J jaysius again. Appreciate the help and advice from FrankWza FrankWza and MikeM MikeM

Maybe I'll play some games now.....

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

I have the Arctis 9x, hate that they turn my Series S and X on, to the point I have to long hold to turn the console off if I'm just using my PC

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hate to say it, but as far as wireless headsets go, the Steel Series is at the top of the list. Otherwise, just get a wired pair.
blablabla same steelseries praising bs everywhere.
I've had arctis pro and it was too small on my head, uncomfortable, a bit scratchy and just sounded dry.
Pulse 3d is way better for me and actually sounds like a pair of wired headphones.

OP. Just get xbox official headset. it gets very good reviews

Topher

Gold Member
I've had arctis pro and it was too small on my head, uncomfortable, a bit scratchy and just sounded dry.
Pulse 3d is way better for me and actually sounds like a pair of wired headphones.

Tried them. They are ok for the money, but too tight on my head and I'd like better sound quality since I'm using these for both PC and Xbox.

Chiggs

Pulse 3D kills my ears. I tried to like them, but....

Topher

Gold Member
Sound or comfort?
I love both. The only discomfort I can feel is on the top of my head after about 2+ hours. But small break and it;s ok

For me, Pulse 3D comfort was fine. I didn't like the sound. Bit too tinny for me.

FrankWza

Sticking with Audeze Penrose X. B&O Beoplay Portals made it easy. They don't fucking work. Couldn't connect to Xbox straight out of the box. After many tries, they connected but there was no sound at all. Updated the firmware and stuff started working except noise cancelling stopped working in one ear.

It is too bad too, because these are some extremely comfortable headphones. Unfortunately they put all their effort into design, comfort, and marketing but forgot to make a product that works. $500......that's a joke. Give me a choice between these and Xbox Wireless headset at $100 and I'd go with the official headset every time.

So yeah, comfort issues with Penrose are all sorted out. Thank you, J jaysius again. Appreciate the help and advice from FrankWza FrankWza and MikeM MikeM

Maybe I'll play some games now.....
Do the B&O use a dongle or connect directly like 9x?(9x connect directly right?)
Glad it’s all working out with the Penrose and that they seem to be ironing out all the issues they had at launch. They’re a no brainer for people with both consoles that want convenience and superior sound quality. As long as they fit comfortably there’s no reason not to.

Topher

Gold Member
Do the B&O use a dongle or connect directly like 9x?(9x connect directly right?)
Glad it’s all working out with the Penrose and that they seem to be ironing out all the issues they had at launch. They’re a no brainer for people with both consoles that want convenience and superior sound quality. As long as they fit comfortably there’s no reason not to.

No dongle for B&O. It connects directly.

Planars are even better if you can drive them with an amp.

Interesting. I have a preamp I use for my turntable. I'll have to try that out.

Chiggs Chiggs Topher Topher
exactly opposite opinions between you to :D
No helping with comfort but there is EQ now on ps5 with latest update, so you can tune it up Topher

Ah.....that would have been helpful when I had them. I'm pretty much sorted with my PS5 headset since I got the bluetooth dongle though.

Last edited:

Kerotan

How you guys on the past finding your Penrose sets? Any issues? Does it work just as well with 3d audio enabled and disabled?

Top Bottom