• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Xbox Series X Issue Allegedly Making Games Run Slower

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Despite its improved performance, one Xbox Series X owner has uncovered a strange glitch that sees it unable to play the new games available on the Series X at peak performance. Posting their findings to Reddit, vzplan explained that when testing the performance between their two Xbox Series X consoles, one was slower than the other by 5%.

This is allegedly a problem caused by the system clock timing being off on one of the consoles, which causes a problem with its overall performance. Explaining the issue further, vzplan said that one of their consoles was slower than the normal console by 2 minutes in 40 minutes. When resetting both Xbox Series X consoles to 10:00 AM, by 10:20 the slower console was reading 10:19, and by 10:40, the slower read 10:38. Frames were an issue as well, with the slower console having noticeable differences in FPS counts and slower animations.

Though it seems that very few have had this issue besides vzplan, many gamers without two Xbox Series X consoles to compare may have a slower system clock without realizing it. Comments in the Reddit post suggested that the user contact Microsoft support, who could assess whether the issue is one with the hardware of the Xbox Series X or if it is something more widespread. Many Xbox users were impressed by vzplan's research and scared by the possibility of this issue being widespread, which would mean there could be another major issue with the next-gen consoles besides scalpers.

Would actually be hilarious if DFs XsX was having this issue and has resulted in the narrative that the PS5 is the better performing console in some games.

Edit: Because i dont think folks get it and are assuming im a MS warrior for this post.... obviously this isnt the case, i just think it would be hilarious if it was the case. Didnt think i needed to explain this but here we are

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Max-Payne-life-in-bullet-time.jpg

Bullet time is awesome it's nice to have that feature on a OS level.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Elden Ring is having shitty load times on my XSX. Now I know why…or maybe the game isn’t as optimized as it could be.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Would actually be hilarious if DFs XsX was having this issue and has resulted in the narrative that the PS5 is the better performing console in some games.
The prayer of a console warrior:

Dear {insert current CEO/president of platform},
Please give me the strength not to accept reality,
That my console warring is meaningless,
I beg that you protect and uplift {insert console},
Deny others from enjoying themselves,
Interject when others express positive words for mine enemies,
In this I pray - Amen {insert console boot chime}

fart town usa

Gold Member
Interesting. I feel like most people would notice if their XBOX clocks were always off by a few minutes every few hours. Hopefully it's nothing widespread.

Reminds me of bootleg/reject Tag Heuer watches in Thailand, they look legit but that shit is gonna off by a few minutes at some point, lol.

cormack12

Gold Member
I would have thought there was some sort of security requirement on time syncing when signing in to be honest?

RaZoR No1

Can this happen, if the console is plugged into a different power socket?
Maybe it is an issue with the power brick and the console doesn't get the correct power frequenzy.
Afaik there are systems which have their time connected to or effected by the PSU

Topher

Gold Member
"My normal XSX shows 60 FPS and 60Hz. My slower XSX shows 63 FPS and 63Hz. This is consistent with a slow clock. The function to calculate FPS will count more frames if time runs slower."

I'm getting FPS between 54 and 60 and a stutter warning.

IiTO2kH.jpeg

Edge is the only thing I have open so don't know what that is all about. Games have been running completely fine though.

DJ12

"My normal XSX shows 60 FPS and 60Hz. My slower XSX shows 63 FPS and 63Hz. This is consistent with a slow clock. The function to calculate FPS will count more frames if time runs slower."

IiTO2kH.jpeg

Edge is the only thing I have open so don't know what that is all about. Games have been running completely fine though.
If you have less than 60 fps, the science suggests your series x|s is even faster. Sell it on ebay for a profit, and buy another before it's proven this isn't really a thing.

Last edited:

StormCell

Seemed to me the only way to notice if you have only one XSX is to start playing a game and then look back at the clock later and see that it matches with your cell phone. I have no idea if that even works becuase, hello, I'm always connected to the internet. Maybe if I disconnected from the network and then left it running for a while I might see a drift...

Until or unless I see a significant segment of Xbox owners discovering this issue, I'm going to assume it's not widespread enough to care. It did, however, get my attention because I had noticed several months ago while playing Skyrim that my button presses tended to cause me to double consume items instead of just consume one...

Antwix

IiTO2kH.jpeg

I get the same. Also something about vsync error flashed for a second.

Antwix

Yeah.....this....

iMkkAv3.jpeg

Strange

We must have the Series X Pro since we're obviously at higher clock speeds :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom