• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welp, Linus Tech Tips' 15 million sub Youtube channel just got hacked and is playing crypto scam livestreams

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks like some of the channel is coming back up even though you can see some of the effects of the hack but hopefully they can try and restore some order as surely this has cost them some money and I would not be happy as well.

YCoCg

Why do Crypto Bros think this is a good idea? Do they seriously think it will trick people into investing into shitcoins just because they plaster Elon Musk's all over it? What happened to the good old days of hacks trashing the site, putting up PWNED videos, etc?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why do Crypto Bros think this is a good idea? Do they seriously think it will trick people into investing into shitcoins just because they plaster Elon Musk's all over it? What happened to the good old days of hacks trashing the site, putting up PWNED videos, etc?
The scammers aren't crypto bros. They straight up just steal your money. The "crypto" part is just a facade to make you click on a compromised link.

Looks like they're back. I'll be interested in hearing how they got hacked assuming they had 2FA. I'm aware of the multiple ways that 2FA can be bypassed but I'm just wondering what ended up getting them.

Looks like they're back. I'll be interested in hearing how they got hacked assuming they had 2FA. I'm aware of the multiple ways that 2FA can be bypassed but I'm just wondering what ended up getting them.

It's already explained in the OP.

There is a known session cookie exploit that affects youtube and other google products. The cookie is stolen via a phishing attack from the channel owner. And once the attacker has that cookie, 2factor is not even required to access the account. It is completely compromised.

Tommi84

Just as suspected. One silly click and the attacker just uses your data on a different machine. Apart from that, VERY sensible video and for some good food for thought for google too

SJRB

Gold Member
Excellent breakdown from Linus on what exactly happened and very informative on how to try and prevent it in the future.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Actually Hardcore Overclocking
Asianometry
Branch Education
Chris Titus Tech
Computerphile
Dave's Garage
der8auer EN
Gamers Nexus
Hardware Unboxed
LGR
Modern Vintage Gamer
RTL Engineering
TechTechPotato
The PC Security Channel
ThioJoe
Jarrod'sTech
Daniel Owen

Missing Major Hardware if you’re more on the tinkering side.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We’re u the hackor
kung fury GIF
Hamster Running GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you think about it. It would take most people a lot longer to recover if they ever recovered. They got a resolution video out the following day. That’s pretty good. I’ve enjoyed his work. When I was first starting off in IT as an intern, I’d watch his videos to grasp a lot of IT knowledge and explanations. I’ve heard a lot about the security token being hijacked and users MS365 account with MFA getting hijacked

Top Bottom