• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Went back to finish Resident Evil 7

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Well you're in luck OP cuz RE8 does the exact same thing. It's a japanese thing more than a RE thing. It happens in almost all jrpgs as well.

Saucy Papi

I'm used to the second half of RE games being weaker than the first half but jfc the drop in quality has never been this stark before
They usually do this where the first half is very creepy and the second half is action filled. I didn't think it was bad but not up to the same level of quality as the farm house.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Well you're in luck OP cuz RE8 does the exact same thing. It's a japanese thing more than a RE thing. It happens in almost all jrpgs as well.

No Way Movie GIF by 1091

Village is enjoyable from start to finish.

Drizzlehell

Banned
No Way Movie GIF by 1091

Village is enjoyable from start to finish.
I wouldn't call the factory section "enjoyable". And that whole Call of Duty level near the end is so incredibly out of place.

The only thing I can agree on is that it was still marginally better than the final act of RE7.

I didnt mind the tanker part. RE7 was all teh way round a game about dread and anxiety. For me, the tanker was a proper survival spook show. Never felt comfortable on it.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
RE8 does drop the mandatory puzzle focus at the half way point and become a bit more action focused in the last two hours but it's still held together better than RE7. After the bitch with the bumblebee booty you play two different games that aren't RE7 but were included with it.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

SkylineRKR

RE8 is more consistent. RE7 has higher highs. The house part of 7 is better than anything in 8. After you beat Marguerite, RE7 takes a huge dive. The ship and salt mines are nothing to write home about and I mostly forgot about them. Didnt really enjoy Lucas' stuff either.

RE8 high point is the castle, and the escape room is fun but very short. The village itself is good at the start but once raided its like the firelink shrine. There is no danger and it serves as the safe haven. The other areas are just okay, not great but not as bad as the mines in 7.

Doczu

I just finished RE7 as well OP and i gotta say you are right.
The house part with Jack is fucking fantastic, the old house with thr bugs isn't as fun (although the boss fight is great!). The escape room part in the barn is dull but it picks up at the tanker section. Then it gets too shooty till the end.
But the dlc is superb!
Let me guess, still hurt 8 doesnt support VR?
It does hurt. Waited with RE7 till i got my hands on a VR set. Best game i played in a long, long time.

Artoris

Gold Member
RE8 is more consistent. RE7 has higher highs. The house part of 7 is better than anything in 8. After you beat Marguerite, RE7 takes a huge dive. The ship and salt mines are nothing to write home about and I mostly forgot about them. Didnt really enjoy Lucas' stuff either.

RE8 high point is the castle, and the escape room is fun but very short. The village itself is good at the start but once raided its like the firelink shrine. There is no danger and it serves as the safe haven. The other areas are just okay, not great but not as bad as the mines in 7.
Lucas is like Heisenberg's druggy brother

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really liked the second half. Ship reveal was cool if not entirely plausible (as if plausibility was ever an issue with RE!) and I likes the switch up to more J-horror tropes. The mines area was a bit dull visually but I felt like it was a fun section to play through, and I liked the loop-back to the reveal of the big-bad.

As far as consistency goes, I'd argue its way above average for the franchise - including RE4 which I'm sorry, but does have some serious issues in its back third which it only semi-overcomes with sheer bombast.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I still enjoyed 7 a lot more as a whole than Village for sure. But I feel like both definitely suffered from having a better first half.

Kokoloko85

I think the weakest part is Lucas. The rest was pretty decent. Especially that theres no Stalker character after you.
But to me Resi 8 is so much bigger and better

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It was a VR demo turn into a RE game, what do ya expect.

• Thoughtful

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Played 1st time flat, second time VR. Had to stop at that dollhouse decoration bit lol.

I'm such a scaredy cat....

Something about those houses like in Texas Chainsaw Massacre deeply unsettles me..

Last edited:

Kuranghi

There are parts I wished I'd played, but I watched EZAs full PT and I was mostly happy with having watched instead of playing it. The searching for items aspect of it wasn't fun imo, I think the "searching/searched" colour aspect of the map is something I want in all RE games going forward. Add an option to disable it in menu for moaning bitches.

LimanimaPT

I played in VR and I had a blast with it. I didn't enjoy much the mine sequence. It should have been an old abandoned mine and it would have been much creepier. Opportunity lost right there.

bender

What time is it?
I think it nose dives after that first hour which was genuinely terrifying. Once it got more shooty-shooty-bang-bang, the flaws became a lot more evident.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I really enjoyed the tanker. The salt mines were a little....eh? But I appreciated the fact that the entire game didn't take place in one location. None of them have, not even the original trilogy. Tanker was dark, wrecked, lots of environmental storytelling and it ratcheted up the tension by stripping you of your inventory one last time before the climax where you're fighting with a full arsenal. I dug it.

Buggy Loop

Yup, you’re 100% right OP. Had a hard time having the will to finish RE7 because of the tanker. The mansion and introduction are so much better and feels like two completely different games. It’s as if they had 2 RE projects merged together due to time constraints.

Top Bottom