• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're almost 1 year in...what game looks the most "next gen"

What's been the most "next gen" so far...

• Total voters
ratchet looks like a cartoon. demons souls is quite good looking but MSFS is easily the best looking game.

All games playing at 60fps look next gen to me.
you should play a game on PC at 140 or even 240fps. it'll blow your mind if you think 60fps is good. i can't go back to 60fps since getting a 165hz monitor. it hurts my eyes.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

i mean unreleased games cant be part of this, until you see it on your TV, without any sugar coating...thats when you can really tell

any game can look 2x better just with one of those small gifs

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

ratchet looks like a cartoon. demons souls is quite good looking but MSFS is easily the best looking game.

you should play a game on PC at 140 or even 240fps. it'll blow your mind if you think 60fps is good. i can't go back to 60fps since getting a 165hz monitor. it hurts my eyes.
I'm fine on consoles, thank you.

Flight Simulator is the best looking, but i can't call it a game at all.

Out of that list i'd say both Horizon's are top1 and 2 looking, hard to say which one looks better.

Overall i'd say the chinese monkey game is a step ahead of all the games on that list sadly, i hope this will change in december tho.

Hunnybun

Otoh I can't even tell the difference between 60 and 120.

I'd have been gutted if I'd spent money on it.

Swift_Star

Banned
It really doesn't look that great on a 4k screen, though.

I don't think it's just because they're using the power in other ways, either. If that were the case, why do the insides of the house and ship look so crap too?

Great game, and the devs are new to AAA development so it's not a problem, but it really doesn't look very good. It still irritates me a bit that DF said the game "pushes PS5 hard", as if they're really squeezing everything out of it. Ratchet looks a generation better than it, at more than double the resolution, and still has a load of particles everywhere you look.
People really like to downplay returnal every chance they get huh.

DonJorginho

Banned
Battlefield 2042 in this poll.

474kzy.png

Hunnybun

i mean unreleased games cant be part of this, until you see it on your TV, without any sugar coating...thats when you can really tell

any game can look 2x better just with one of those small gifs

Yeah this is a totally underappreciated point. Watching games on a smallish YouTube player generally looks better than a big tv just because it hides so many imperfections. It's especially weird when some new trailer comes out and people say shit like "wow, just rewatched it on my 4k TV and it looks AMAZING!!"

What the fuck?! YouTube looks fucking awful blown up to that size. I honestly wonder what the hell people are looking at.

Last edited:

T0minator

Honestly, I chose Battlefield not realizing the beta was that bad...I didn't play it but the reveal trailer and footage looked amazing... I guess it was all misleading. This thread opened my eyes to how bad battlefield is looking 😬

474kzy.png
Honestly, I chose Battlefield for this poll not realizing the beta was that bad...I didn't play it but the reveal trailer and footage looked amazing... I guess it was all misleading. This thread opened my eyes to how bad battlefield is looking 😬

For those of you that are saying ratchet looks like a cartoon and flight simulator looks "more realistic" you have no idea what makes a game look impressive.

The amount of action on screen at once along with the small details of ray tracing at 60fps ...ratchet is pushing so much tech it's not even funny. I have a feeling Horizon FW will amaze the next time we see it again...

In terms of games that have been released over the last 12 months, I’ve been most impressed with Flight Simulator on Series X and Ratchet on PS5.

If we are including games that haven’t yet released, I would have to say Forza Horizon 5 and Horizon Forbidden West have impressed me the most graphically.

buenoblue

None of them looks really next-gen if we consider a true generational leap.

If instead we consider that the new consoles are weak, there are few games that did a decent job: DS, R&C.

I don't consider Flight Simulator because the last entry in the series was 15 years ago and no project of the same budget has been released since, therefore it's easy to be next-gen 15 years after.

I really don't know how some consider these new consoles weak? They are outstanding in my opinion. Especially compared to the PS4/Xbox one, ps3/360 consoles. The great CPU, outstanding ssd's and general all round balance of these machines for the price is great. Really great.

Are they magnitudes better than last gen, maybe not but I feel they give developers the hardware to really make great games at high res, detail and framerate. Something that the previous gen couldn't really pull off without major sacrifices.

During this crossgen phase it's gonna feel a little samey, but it always does for a year or 2.

I myself have been blown away by pretty much every game I've played on ps5, and I have a decent 2070super pc. From miles morales, ratchet, fenyx, resi 8, Valhalla. They have all looked and played great at high res and a pretty much locked 60fps. Even the PS4 patched games like got, gow and the like having that locked 60fps is great.

I play on a 75 inch 4k ambilight tv and seeing these games at high res and high framerate is definitely next gen.

mUfpr4m.jpg

Falc67

If we talking unreleased. If Spider-Man 2 reflects the trailer. Then that’s the most next-gen. Insomniac, so i guess it will.

Hellblade 2 obviously from the reveal. But that shit looks photorealistic cg. Need to see more.

MiguelItUp

For me, most certainly Demon's Souls. Nothing else in that list compares, IMO.

Mind you, I'm going by what's "released" as of right now, there's a lot in that list that isn't even out yet.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

If we talking unreleased. If Spider-Man 2 reflects the trailer. Then that’s the most next-gen. Insomniac, so i guess it will.

Hellblade 2 obviously from the reveal. But that shit looks photorealistic cg. Need to see more.

I don't really get what was so amazing about the Spider-Man 2 trailer. It looked fine, but the dark scene and everything being zoomed in made it hard to see what improvements they've made to the city. The character models look fine, but they were already good in Miles Morales, and these look similar. It looks like they're sticking with the same slightly cartoony style, which I find a bit disappointing, but at least lets them get the game out quicker.

So yeah, I don't really see the fuss.

Hellblade 2 definitely does look fantastic, but there's not a fucking chance the game actually looks like that.

Derktron

Banned
Sorry, no games in my eyes look next-gen when they finally stop making last-gen games then I can see a change happen but still. When I see games run as they did on the demo of Unreal Engine 5 or like this in this video then I would be screaming and crying about next-gen. Sorry but next-gen has been a fucking joke and I'm sick of it.

Scream GIF by Steve Harvey TV
like this

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ratchet gets my vote. Although I have to admit, none of them impress me on a "next gen" level.

Feels like a "same-gen" jump. It's a bare minimum improvement.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The parts of the game that look like that are few and far between in my experience.
In my experience, the opposite is true. The game was consistently incredible. :messenger_tongue:

My vote went to R&C though. Only game I've ever seen that could pass for an animated movie in real time.

Demon Souls was some mind blowing shit when I finally got to play it, I was pretty impressed. More so than I was by any launch games from last gen for sure.
If I get a Bloodborne port that looks/plays that good I'm gonna be a happy motherfucker.

Everything you guys have mentioned pretty much lol.

I know its not a popular selection(It's an ehhhh game lol), but the geometry in Watch Dogs Legion on PC Maxed out with ray tracing on has me excited for the future of open world games and how they will look.

ripeavocado

Banned
Shite excuse. The OP doesn’t mean compared to the game’s last iteration, but I’m sure you know this.

The real answer is nothing yet. FH5 looks the best, but itself is only marginally better than FH4.

There is no fucking previous generation iteration so what are you comparing it with? a 2006 game.

Half of you are stunned by the fact that the whole world in it but it's been a basic feature of the series for at least 20 years.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ratchet for a variety of reasons.

But I think dev techniques and refinement have improved a lot.

Remember the 360/PS3 days when IQ and jaggies were issues? Anti aliasing and lower than 720p render resolutions?

This is the first generation in a long time that we've had it this good.

Game sizes are still astronomically big but we're in another golden era when it comes to HW/SW enhancements.

DLSS, MLAA, DLAA, RTX, NAACP, and the WU TANG CLAN.

Let us pray.

rocky-v-george-washington-duke.gif

BigLee74

There is no fucking previous generation iteration so what are you comparing it with? a 2006 game.

Half of you are stunned by the fact that the whole world in it but it's been a basic feature of the series for at least 20 years.

Reading comprehension 0/10
Aggression 5/10
Bitterness 9/10

Will now vote for FS just for you. ❤️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Flight Sim.

Ratchet looks great, but they are wasting a lot of GPU power rendering the game at native 4k 40 fps. Just a gigantic waste of GPU power.

Had they settled for 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 demo, game wouldve looked far better. Devs need to stop focusing on native 4k and 60 fps. If someone wants 60 fps. Give them a downgraded 1080p or 900p mode. Surely those guys wont care because they dont give two shits about resolution and put framerate over everything else.

makaveli60

R&C is the only game I consider as a proper nextgen leap. Lots of awesome looking games but there’s nothing like it on the horizon unfortunately (thanks to crossgen mostly)

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I haven't played Flight Sim or R&C yet, so from what I have played it would be Demon's Souls. Even in performance mode it looks so damn good.

Hunnybun

Flight Sim.

Ratchet looks great, but they are wasting a lot of GPU power rendering the game at native 4k 40 fps. Just a gigantic waste of GPU power.

Had they settled for 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 demo, game wouldve looked far better. Devs need to stop focusing on native 4k and 60 fps. If someone wants 60 fps. Give them a downgraded 1080p or 900p mode. Surely those guys wont care because they dont give two shits about resolution and put framerate over everything else.

Lol why would that be true? I care a lot about both.

Imo the really wasteful use of resources in Ratchet is the RT. It looks good but not THAT good. And it's soooo GPU intensive.

Chiggs

Demon's Souls, Flight Sim on PC, and Ratchet.

Forza's not even out yet, so couldn't vote that yet.

Last edited:

T0minator

Ratchet and Clank so far, most of the others aren't out are they?
I meant do far from what we've seen from this next gen.... actual gameplay. I didn't include any "in engine" footage of any next gen games. Just any new generation games that we've seen gameplay

RPS37

I voted for Flight Sim because I don’t own a PS5. Looks like I need to check out Ratchet when I get a chance.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
Demons' Souls all day. Half the time I was playing through it, I kept thinking, "man, I feel sorry for the poor suckers that had to design and model all this shit." I can't wrap my head around how detailed it is.

DeepSpace5D

I have to go Demon’s Souls personally, but I think more than one pick on this list would be valid depending on personal preference of style.

Phase

I'm waiting for those next gen releases of Ratchet and Demon's Souls on pc. They look the best to me.

Last edited:

Phase

Demons' Souls all day. Half the time I was playing through it, I kept thinking, "man, I feel sorry for the poor suckers that had to design and model all this shit." I can't wrap my head around how detailed it is.
Don't feel sorry. They got to showcase their talent.

Top Bottom