• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Werner von Braun's Book "The Mars Project" has something interesting hidden in it (this time it's a serious thread I swear)

Starfield

So basically in 1953 Werner von Braun released a book called "The Mars Project". In that book Mars has been colonized by humanity in the future and the leader of their people is called "The Elon". Elon is the one who brought them to Mars.

2pebbb19of731.jpg

For those of you wondering, Von Braun is the most influential rocket scientist in history before Elon. He wasted alot of Nazi Germany's ressources on rocket science which helped the allies win the war in the end.

more on this you can find here: https://www.quora.com/Is-the-name-E...on-Brauns-Project-Mars-book-just-coincidental

MetalAlien

Banned
Why would anyone want to fly millions of miles to live on a planet that only wants to kill you when we have mother earth right here?

MetalAlien

Banned
When it comes to human progress, I believe the correct phrasing is "the path of all resistance".
A big space station around Saturn would at least give you something pretty to look at. Mars is the armpit of the solar system.

A big space station around Saturn would at least give you something pretty to look at. Mars is the armpit of the solar system.

It will be a great FOB for expansion into the rest of the solar system - similar composition to Earth for resources, proximity to the asteroid belt, and it moves outwards just a bit towards the edge of the solar system. Exploring Venus and Mercury would be great for knowledge and maybe materials (Venus more than Mercury), but they are strategically useless for the foreseeable future until we can build a Dyson sphere. If we want to work our way out of the solar system, going to Mars is easiest, then we can work our way to Jupiter('s moons), Saturn('s moons), and onwards.

Space exploration is always going to be a stepwise process. The first step is getting to Mars, building a base, and building it up as a hub. From there, Jupiter's moons have tons of resources and are mostly stable, as are Saturn's. Building up infrastructure to transport parts and materials to the edge of the solar system (really the edge of the heliosphere's protection) will make it easier to build stations and ships. If we do spread through the solar system, we would want to be concentrated towards the edge of the solar system. Regardless of what (relatively) FTL can be developed, we are stuck with sub-light travel within the solar system because of how large-scale warping could wreak havoc on planetary orbits. Better to have most of everything near the outer edge of the solar system close to safe FTL distance (likely somewhere between heliopause and the edge of the Oort cloud) than in the middle or center of the system.

Oops, off topic. Maybe Werner got some info from Baron Trump :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why would anyone want to fly millions of miles to live on a planet that only wants to kill you when we have mother earth right here?
Because it's challenging and being an adventurer is fun.

Also because it's not a bad idea to scout a backup plan in case mother earth decides to kill us, or something kills mother earth.

Catphish

Eventually, this planet is going to die. And some time after that, the sun is going to explode. If we want humanity to exist beyond the shelf life of this solar system, we need to figure out how to get out of it. Baby steps to Mars seems as good a practice as any. :)

The Shift

Banned
The magnetosphere protecting Mars is so weak that life can't exist there successfuly. Send swarms of drones to map and study the planet comprehensively but shipping people and the requirements to keep them alive seems like a waste of resources that are better spent elsewhere.

Tesseract

Banned
Everyone teenager in America is taught how the explosion engine works.

Does that make every teenager in america an automotive engineer?
are they working at a corpo that builds vehicles, or just tinkering alone in the basement?

former means yes, latter perhaps but you'd have to probe their knowledge base

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
are they working at a corpo that builds vehicles, or just tinkering alone in the basement?

former means yes, latter perhaps but you'd have to probe their knowledge base

So the cleaning ladies that work at ford are automotive engineers?

Musk is smart and he majored in physics so it's not just business smart. But he doesn't design the rockets, he employes actual rocket scientists to do that for him.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I never get this.

Even if you could see the future, why would you apply it like this?

‘When they catch this obscure reference in 100 years, it’s going to be hilarious, bro!’

black and white cat GIF

Like, what kind of psychopath brainlet would use that power that way?

Ballthyrm

Dude, Elon Musk is not a rocket scientist.

If by that you mean he doesn't have a degree then yes, otherwise no.
He was the lead for all space X rockets, he even gave the president title to someone else so he could spend more time designing rockets.

But he doesn't design the rockets, he employes actual rocket scientists to do that for him.

He is literally the lead rocket designer...
It's not a title he gave himself to pump up his ego.

I think you both got Tesla and SpaceX confused, Elon real passion is rockets.

Go read some more on the internet. He is not like Branson or Bezos, both billionaire with space companies that are 10+ years old and haven't launched anything into orbit yet.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Alternatively, it’s kind of fun to think of the world as a simulation that’s limited in certain ways, and faced with such a vast reality to generate, accidentally repeats/reuses names, ideas, and themes in this manner.

It’s not entirely dissimilar to what you’d see in some procedural games that try to invent content for the user.

The ones that will really mess you up are the 1800’s and early 1900’s books starring a child named Baron Trump, who lives in Castle Trump, features communists rioting in the streets of NYC, a hotel on fifth avenue where Trump’s is, and a character called Don. I believe it also describes in metaphor, television, the internet and Google, and some kind of illegitimate president, although that’s second hand.

The title of one of the books? The Last President.

I hope someone has the 4chan screencap, because it is a very fun rabbit hole to go down.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So basically in 1953 Werner von Braun released a book called "The Mars Project". In that book Mars has been colonized by humanity in the future and the leader of their people is called "The Elon". Elon is the one who brought them to Mars.

2pebbb19of731.jpg

For those of you wondering, Von Braun is the most influential rocket scientist in history before Elon. He wasted alot of Nazi Germany's ressources on rocket science which helped the allies win the war in the end.

more on this you can find here: https://www.quora.com/Is-the-name-E...on-Brauns-Project-Mars-book-just-coincidental
That's certainly hell of way to put it. I've been in Penemunde complex and despite his insane work, which put subsequently put people on Moon, he certainly wasn't just career engineer. He was responsible for pretty cruel Nazi stuff.

Hudo

On one hand, according to Mass Effect, we'll find ancient shit on Mars that'll help us develop faster-than-light travel.
On the other hand, according to Doom, we'll open portals to hell on Mars, which will fuck our whole shit up.

So I am conflicted about the whole Mars thing.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Didn't Elon Musk change his name?

Wait until we have like 18.000.000.000 People on the planet, if we still exist then.
General consensus is world population will stop to grow around 9 billion people, and then even decrease.
My mom was one of 8 children, I was one of three, and now having more than one child here where I live is getting rare.

The same will happen when the standard of living improves in those poorer countries with many new children.
You can already see this effect in some african countries that had 8+ children per couple just two decades ago.

What I have come to realize as I got older is that our lived reality's timeline is following fictional stories and religious text.
The bible code = Hollywood = science fiction. We are literally already in The Matrix. 🕺

The magnetosphere protecting Mars is so weak that life can't exist there successfuly. Send swarms of drones to map and study the planet comprehensively but shipping people and the requirements to keep them alive seems like a waste of resources that are better spent elsewhere.
This actually isn't that big of a deal, running enough power through an orbital ring will generate an artificial magnetic field sufficient to protect from radiation and protect an atmosphere. While an orbital ring would be the largest thing humanity has ever tried to build, it is more than possible to build one now.

I do agree that Mars isn't really that valuable, we will be building O'neil cylinder habitats before colonizing Mars. Between how close the moon is, and how relatively cheap the astroid belt is to mine, Mars really doesn't have much to offer, especially if we find out that people can't handle 1/3 gravity for years on end.

Top Bottom