• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've All Been Duped by LED LCD's Input Lag vs OLED for Gaming - Here's the Truth

Excess

Also: Sony’s OLED panels are made by LG. Always have been.
The difference is in post-processing and other variables that the manufacturer may add as value to the baseline OLED panel.

really my wife’s inability to turn off a tv is a big issue for me. 😂🤣
I'm considering buying a C2 and handing down my B7 to my parents, but I'm concerned they're going to get burn-in because my mother insists on watching those horrible 24-hour news networks all the time.

Why can't I just use a $2000+ display like every other display I've ever used in my entire life. Many that were cheaper yet funny enough more durable. I gotta coddle a TV now? Fuck OLED.
That's like buying a high end sports car and complaining that you need to "coddle" it more than a Toyota.

You have to torture test a modern OLED TV in order to get any kind of perceptible burn in and the overall image quality is significantly better than LCD's. It's not hard to understand why people like them. Not sure why you are so passionate about this.

And I'll say it again, LCD panels also experience burn in and failure with extreme use.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'll just spend my money on "sport cars" that don't have disastrous flaws in their design. Which i did.

Good for you. Doesn't change anything for all the OLED users with no burn in or "disastrous" problems.

Gaming on an OLED is unreal. It's crazy how playing the same game on it makes it look like a remaster. Can't wait to run the 42" LG as a full time monitor. It's a massive step above LCD for gaming.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Good for you. Doesn't change anything for all the OLED users with no burn in or "disastrous" problems.

Gaming on an OLED is unreal. It's crazy how playing the same game on it makes it look like a remaster. Can't wait to run the 42" LG as a full time monitor. It's a massive step above LCD for gaming.

Man I've had two OLEDs(C7 and C9). Gas up the next man with your larger than life praise for it. Best contrast, not worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
really my wife’s inability to turn off a tv is a big issue for me. 😂🤣
My 2 and half years old uses the TV… he doesn’t know how to turn it off.

The TV itself enter in safe mode in few minutes of non use and turn off after several minutes.

So it should not be a issue if your wife doesn’t turn the TV off…. The TV alone take care of itself.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
My 2 and half years old uses the TV… he doesn’t know how to turn it off.

The TV itself enter in safe mode in few minutes of non use and turn off after several minutes.

So it should not be a issue if your wife doesn’t turn the TV off…. The TV alone take care of tha

that only works if you have no signal going to the channel. If you are watching tv it shouldn’t turn off after a few mins🥴

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Man this thread is off track, but why the hell are any of you getting an OLED as a computer monitor for productivity? Even if you split time between gaming/work, why not put in the 15 seconds of work to prevent these issues from ever being a problem?

OT: The whole point of the video is shows how the end to end latency is vastly superior on OLED vs LED, including how the pixel response time is night and day.

Not everyone can or wants to get an OLED, but there is no debate that it’s the best display tech out there.

I went from a 2018 TCL 6 series to the A90J and it’s night and day better, brighter, clearer, etc. even though the TCL supposedly had higher HDR peak brightness. Not to mention the gaming benefits

Last edited:

sn0man

Wanting plasma to come back is dumb considering we had a better option that was up and coming ; SED tv.
Holy crap! Someone else remembers the promise of SED. Myself and a coworker would go on and on about how great that was going to be but it never came.
Just like a crt except very power efficient, thin and was a fixed pixel display. My gosh why can’t we have nice things D:
Yeah. I’m hopeful for microled but we shall see.
On oled, for movies you want to combine motion interpolation plus 120hz bfi, it’s really the only way to do it. On fast response time lcd, too.
How do you get 120hz bfi if your source (a streaming box) only does 60/30/24fps?

I’ll try turning on motion interpolation? Is it set per frame rate or do you have to turn it on and off after each 30/24fps video?

CRTs had radiation, strobing, we’re dim, even worse burn in and were huge. I have one still for some old games and I think oled is about million times better
Oled is way more susceptible to burn in than crt...
Holy crap! Someone else remembers the promise of SED. Myself and a coworker would go on and on about how great that was going to be but it never came.

How do you get 120hz bfi if your source (a streaming box) only does 60/30/24fps?

I’ll try turning on motion interpolation? Is it set per frame rate or do you have to turn it on and off after each 30/24fps video?
I didn’t know about SED tv back in the day, I just played on any tv I could get my hands on lol. I actually heard about it on gaf from user cireza cireza iirc.

Since you’ve got a CX, the bfi you have available is either 60 or 120hz.

Regardless of the fps of the content, the bfi will flash at 60 or 120. For 120, use either the low or medium setting, and for 60hz use high setting. You’re going to want to use low or medium though as there is tremendous flicker at 60hz and more brightness loss. If you can tolerate the brightness loss (and for sdr at leasy you definitely can) try the medium setting.

For movies, just tinker with the various interpolation modes at the various intensity values to see what you like ; the higher you go the smoother it will look but also introduce more soap effect and motion artifacts. YMMV.

I have more experience on bravia tvs but for those I use bfi medium and the lowest setting for interpolation with sdr movies because I want to keep soap and artifacts to a minimum.

quest

Not Banned from OT

BFI gives me a headache. Motion interpolation is mostly garbage at most lowest setting or movie look like a soap opera. My C7 got burn in but never needed that shit granted was not plasma or crt smooth but good enough without watching days of our lives on all content. I'm still trying to figure out who thought a strobe light aka BFI was a genius 💡. Yes making me want to throw up is awesome and get headache icing on the cake.

Man I've had two OLEDs(C7 and C9). Gas up the next man with your larger than life praise for it. Best contrast, not worth the price of admission.

The contrast and colors with the black levels all combined with the motion handling is a huge step up. If you can't see that not much point in arguing about TV tech :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My 65" E9 handles motion better than my 165hz gaming monitor and honestly feels just as smooth at 120hz. It's a game changer and one of the best tech purchases I've made. Most people I've seen talk about OLED gaming on the newer LG stuff feel the same. You are an outlier.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
some of you guys are weird. You can’t put on with changing wallpaper, enabling screen saver or doing the simplest burn in prevention?
These are small annoyances compared to best quality. I would put in with much more just to not use the lcd ever again.
Also, if you play sdr games or use a desktop, you do so at not 120nits. It’s like 30% oled brightness. Burn in almost don’t happened with low brightness. And lg have features to prevent it and level the wear of pixels which work great.
and then you act like if you are buying this tv for life. It might last 10 years but if it lasts 5 that’s long enough to want to change anyway.
I changed my lcd monitors 10 times in 2 years before oled. Trying to find good unit and upgrading. And all of these were pathetic compared to oled.
Lg gives burn in warranty anyway

cireza

Banned
then you act like if you are buying this tv for life
Actually buying stuff "for life" would help not wasting resources. Pretty bad habit that we have. My CRT is 25 years old and still rocking, my HD TV was bought 10 years ago and still perfect. I also have a more recent one, but I am not changing things that still work.

synce

If you need special tools, slow-mo, side-by-side, or extreme zoom to discern differences in TVs, consider you're probably being suckered by companies trying to sell you a new TV when you don't really need one. As far as I'm concerned the only easily observable benefit OLED has over a good LED is slightly deeper blacks, which isn't worth the cost of burn-in IMO.

Tygeezy

Actually buying stuff "for life" would help not wasting resources. Pretty bad habit that we have. My CRT is 25 years old and still rocking, my HD TV was bought 10 years ago and still perfect. I also have a more recent one, but I am not changing things that still work.
Assuming your ten year old hdtv is lcd it most definitely has awful input latency.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You have not actively daily used your crt for past 15 years.
And it would also burn in if you left it without screen saver.
Oled will also work in 25 years if You will use it similarly.

Good on you. You can keep using your 10yo tv. nobody argues with that.

cireza

Banned
Assuming your ten year old hdtv is lcd it most definitely has awful input latency.
This TV is not used for gaming anymore (but it was a great TV back then and would still be perfectly fine). The smaller, more recent one is the one I use for gaming.

You have not actively daily used your crt for past 15 years.
Pretty close actually. I do a ton of retro gaming.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

If you need special tools, slow-mo, side-by-side, or extreme zoom to discern differences in TVs, consider you're probably being suckered by companies trying to sell you a new TV when you don't really need one. As far as I'm concerned the only easily observable benefit OLED has over a good LED is slightly deeper blacks, which isn't worth the cost of burn-in IMO.

And that's all there really is to it. When I turned in my broken C9(died in less than two years) at Costco and got the QN90A its the only thing I noticed and after a couple of days it became an afterthought. All this slomo camera measurements is like me being at work measuring conduit arguing cutting at 56 1/8" vs 56 1/16" or me holding those pipes up and asking you which is longer just with your trained eye. Response time and input lag is measured in thousandths of a second and these people acting like they can really see and feel the difference between 2 milliseconds and 9 milliseconds.

Last edited:
The overall image quality is just better and the responsiveness for gaming is excellent. It’s pretty easy to see OLED and everyone I know that watches mine asks me about it because of how good it looks. What’s with this forum and the anti OLED squad?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not only black levels.
It's fantastic per pixel HDR,
and NO GLOW. All lcd tech glows off center or silver like ips glow.
Oled looks perfect

JackSparr0w

Banned
Currently playing on a 11yo Japanese built Panasonic plasma.

About the only wrong is that overall brightness has dimmed somewhat. No burn in, and picture still looks good.

I think I'll be ok with oled once I dip in.
There is no comparison between the extremely rare plasma burn in and the pixel degradation that is bound to happen to every OLED.

If you like to keep your TVs for 10 years OLED is simply a non option.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Almost all Modern Oled has automatic screen saver, and you can set sleep mode which will put tv to sleep after a few minutes which depending on your choice.
yeah thats dumb though. watching tv and all of a sudden it goes to screen saver? Thats really just an acknowgment from the manufacture that there is a big problem.
its the same as the people who turn down the brightness to have their screens last longer.

Im not going to not use my tv to the fullest just because there are issues. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't care about environment.
Me buying 1 tv in 10 years or 2 tvs in 10 years make no difference.
Corporations and fuel companies want you to think this way while they are responsible for environmental issues.
It's great if my gear will last forever but I will probably either sell it or change sooner. if not, it's great if it works

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yeah thats dumb though. watching tv and all of a sudden it goes to screen saver? Thats really just an acknowgment from the manufacture that there is a big problem.
its the same as the people who turn down the brightness to have their screens last longer.

Im not going to not use my tv to the fullest just because there are issues. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It can be very annoying on LG.
The tv counts 91 seconds or something like that. If it detects no significant scene change, it will dim quite a lot... and then it takes a DRASTIC color change for it to wake up or you touching the remote.
It can be annoying in some movies with long dark scenes. But in reality it's not an issue 95% of the time.
As for safety burn in measures, aside from pixel shifter, dimmer and logo dimmer, there is also a pixel refresher after 4 hours and huge pixel refresher after 2k hours

Rea

What are you talking about? Screen saver only activates when the Tv is idle. Of course you won't see screen saver when watching movies. Nowadays, no one is turning down their brightness on OLED, especially when consuming HDR content, the tv itself is smart enough to take necessary precautions to prevent burn in. It's not 100% proof but consumers don't really have to worry too much.
Its not an issue.

Rea

It can be very annoying on LG.
The tv counts 91 seconds or something like that. If it detects no significant scene change, it will dim quite a lot... and then it takes a DRASTIC color change for it to wake up or you touching the remote.
It can be annoying in some movies with long dark scenes. But in reality it's not an issue 95% of the time.
As for safety burn in measures, aside from pixel shifter, dimmer and logo dimmer, there is also a pixel refresher after 4 hours and huge pixel refresher after 2k hours
Not sure about LG, but on my A80J there is no dimming or goes into screen saver, when watching movies.
The only dimming i got is when playing games with static HUD on HDR.
On Side note, LG oled can turn off static logo dimming in the advanced menu or something, so its better than Sony on that feature.

farmerboy

There is no comparison between the extremely rare plasma burn in and the pixel degradation that is bound to happen to every OLED.

If you like to keep your TVs for 10 years OLED is simply a non option.

Well I don't want to keep it 10 yrs intentionally. LOL, but a wife and kids kinda dictates it.

cireza

Banned
I don't care about environment.
Me buying 1 tv in 10 years or 2 tvs in 10 years make no difference.
Corporations and fuel companies want you to think this way while they are responsible for environmental issues.
It's great if my gear will last forever but I will probably either sell it or change sooner. if not, it's great if it works
Wow. Just wow. Worst post of the year contender.

Kuranghi

I think its time to close/abandon this thread lol. No one is even talking about the OP anymore.

Its devolved into people saying things without having a clue what they are talking about and then someone coming in and correcting them and the reply just moves the goalposts.

You can't go wrong whatever top spec model you buy, be it from Samsung, Sony, LG or Panasonic. There are strengths and weakness but all will be great displays. I say this as someone who dislikes Samsung lol, but I'm a big nerd, most people won't notice these things so who gives a fuck really. Enjoy your TV.

Thanks OP for posting the video about input lag measuring on OLED vs. LCD.

Wow. You really think it just throws up a screensaver while you are watching TV? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Why are you talking about things you clearly know nothing about?

Wow. Just wow. Worst post of the year contender.
Dude at one point said he didn't mind swapping oleds every 6 months* and i'm just like :messenger_dizzy:

*As a hypothetical

I MAY want to upgrade a new tv I just got in a few years, but I definitely don't consider the old one trash, and will find some purpose for it.

But for oled, you kinda have to get the burn in warranty and just count on cashing that in before 5 years and that's not a good thing. Which I did for my A8h which dididn't even go 6 months without an issue.

Last edited:

PrimeX

The only thing I want more than my 65" oled is a native 4k projector.
But that will be out of my reach at least 5 years from now.
And that's not because of the image quality but for the screen size. Would be like my personal movie theater.
Quality wise, the oled kicks ass.

Kuranghi

I have a strong feeling :)messenger_winking:) the Hisense A9 OLED will go to £799 and £1199 for 55" and 65" on BF if anyone wants a bargain OLED. Its currently £998 and £1498 in most retailers but they kinda leaked the price on their own website a couple of weeks ago + I have heard whisperings.

It has 120hz processing* and VRR vs. the 60hz* and no VRR in the LG A1 (which will prob be same price or £100 more on BF) and has way better sound due to having a soundbar built into the bottom of the frame, with a subwoofer and ceiling firing tweeters on the back for Atmos/DTS:X output.

The colour accuracy won't be as good as the Sony A80J or LG G1 (C1 [and so I presume A1 and B1] seem to have pretty subpar colour accuracy out of the box, check rtings) but with the money saved you could get it calibrated and still have better sound than the A/B/C1 and a bit better bass and height effects than the A80J. You could get it looking much better than out of the box with just a 1080p/4K calibration disc as well though.

Being honest the upscaling of less than pristine 1080p content isn't as good as the LG (pristine content, like a 1080p bluray looks fantastic, but maybe streaming or youtube 1080p won't look as good), but if you will mostly put pristine content/4K into it then it will blow your pants off just like the LG, for less money, with way better sound and better motion.

The VRR range is 48-60hz so its more for console VRR use, if you want something thats for PC use where you just want to max out the settings and res and let it handle drops down to 30fps and below then get the LG instead. Personally I would still say tweaking settings and res to get it more 45-60 is a better idea though, since drops to 30 won't stutter or tear but it will feel like shit still since the frametime has doubled.

*All OLED panels are 120hz, LG just limits the processing on the A1 to save money and to presumably to upsell. The Hisense processes at 120hz but doesn't support 4K120.

Feel free to ask me anything about it and I'll do my best to answer, I'll be honest about downsides ofc. Outside of PQ, a big reason to buy is that sound system built in though, if the wife has been hassling you to get rid of the speakers/subwoofer around the living room or you just don't have space in your man-cupboard.

Top Bottom