• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've All Been Duped by LED LCD's Input Lag vs OLED for Gaming - Here's the Truth

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just watched it and it is A LG SPONSORED VIDEO???
Talk about unbiased opinion...
While I get your complaint.. if you do these kind of analysis, not like anyone but the winner is going to want to place an ad in your video lol

In the end, all hobbyist "Reviewing" is done by people paid by the companies they are reviewing. Find me a gaming we site without ads for.. games.. find me a car magazine w/o.. ads for cars. They all get sent free swag constantly too.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Oh look one of the hundreds of videos proving my statement.. who would have thought??

If Robotroll had actually watched that video, he'd known that Linus got burn in on the OLED tv he used as a monitor for his Windows PC. He said the OLED TV he used for its intended purpose (tv/gaming) had no burn in.

S0ULZB0URNE

Lol “ science “,
see i didn’t say those 5 months were not the best. The problem is it’s only a better picture for a very short time before the issues make it a no go for me. I just can’t sit there with screen deformity and burn in and enjoy a game or movie .. no matter how well the blacks and non blooming are. If I were a professional film company and could afford to buy a new one every year without issue then yeah sure!
But do not tell people burn in and screen uniformity do not exist as that’s a complete lie.
It even being a better picture is subjective.

For example...

Watching a Dolby Vision movie on my 75 inch Z9D blows away(yes blows away)
Anything I ever see on OLED.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Does your 2015 LG OLED support HDR???

Sorry, I made a mistake. I've got a 2016 model (55C6V) with 4K HDR. It was also one of the last models to feature 3D (and it's the absolute best 3D display I've seen).

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Exactly like people who talk about burn in being inevitable.
It is as I explained. Each pixel has its own life span. Everytime you display an image on screen unless it’s a solid color that covers the whole screen it will degrade those pixels at different levels. As they degrade they are not as bright as they were
or they don’t function as well As they did before which causes burn in / uniformity issues.

this is not speculative .. it’s a fact.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
There are two inevitable things in life. Taxes and OLED burn in.

aO7A8e3_460s.jpg

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It is as I explained. Each pixel has its own life span. Everytime you display an image on screen unless it’s a solid color that covers the whole screen it will degrade those pixels at different levels. As they degrade they are not as bright as they were
or the don’t function as well As they did before which causes burn in / uniformity issues.

After 10 years for sure. I think modern oleds are rated for 100 thousand hours? Could be wrong on that. Do you think your lcd will last that long? I honestly don't think any display will last that long regardless of tech used.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If Robotroll had actually watched that video, he'd known that Linus got burn in on the OLED tv he used as a monitor for his Windows PC. He said the OLED TV he used for its intended purpose (tv/gaming) had no burn in.
Unless you keep you tv on as a monitor 24/7 you can use it as a monitor.

I'm literally writing this post using my oled as a monitor.

The ONLY thing i had to do as a precaution was to hide the bar on the bottom when i'm not using it, i can't even call that a compromise or sacrifice.

Then i pretty much do the fuck i want with the tv, i watch 90 min anime movies with sport\vivid mode because i like popping colors in my weeb content, i browse with chrome for hours when i have nothing to do, i watch\play hdr content, i play long 3-5 session of games with fixed icons, like i was at home in the past 2 weeks because i had a small surgery and i played like 100 hours of mhw on pc, ask me if i have even the smallest sign of burn in, i dare you.

If i have to point out something is that since i like color accuracy i watch\play most of my stuff in professional mode (filmmaker on lg tv, mine is a panasonic), and for some people, color accuracy mode is a bit mute, but it's not a sacrifice for me, and i still use game mode for something cartoony like zelda botw (played 5-6 hours of it in the last 2 days without a problem).

But watching anything that is not anime\sport in vivid mode is fucking puke inducing, so it's really not a big sacrifice, i think majority of people use movie\game mode as the most common modes anyway.

p.s. oh and i had this type of usage since my first oled tv, an old lg 910V full-hd, so it's not even a matter of having a modern oled.

Last edited:

GymWolf

or they don’t function as well As they did before which causes burn in / uniformity issues.

It is fucking not unless you use them for like 12 hours a day for 10 years or some shit, i had 2 oled tv for 3 years each and used both as pc monitor and i had zero problem, the people who bought them from me are still enjoying the tv to this day.

Do you really think that heavy gamers like myself would buy 3 fucking times the same tech if burn in was inevitable?

Dude open world and action rpg are my favourite genres, basically fixed logos galore...

Between me and my father we had like 5 oled tv in a span of 6 years, no one had problem of burn in.

One was fucked up by a thunder during a thunderstorm tho.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yes.

But the worse those things are, the more important minimizing what YOU can control (your TV) becomes.

Because there's a threshold where it starts to really suck, and having near 0ms on your display helps you not surpass that threshold.

Just because it's not the #1 factor doesn't mean it isn't significant.

I do agree its a threshold thing sometimes, but for me, most of the games that have lag bad enough to actually bother me (Kena as a recent example) don't get saved by reducing display lag by 10ms.

Like if you play Forza Horizon 5 at 30fps it still feels amazing even when you force triple buffered v-sync, so adding in another 33ms isn't making a huge difference.

I shouldn't have said its meaningless, being over the top, but I rank it very low on the list, next to wirelss controller lag I'd say since my DS4 was 12ms and the Dualsense is 1-2ms.

Kuranghi

If you want to the worst example of bloom on LCD and why OLED wins in that type of scene then load up Rambo: First Blood Part 2 in HDR and skip to the scene where he's sneaking under the house with his knife. Thats the worst blooming I've ever seen on my ZD9, because its like a 1000 nit specular highlight next to really really near black shadow detail.

I've never tried it on the OLED actually, gotta see how it looks :pie_thinking:

I'd be intersted if someone with an OLED take a photo of it if its easy to do, I'm busy the rest of tonight and tomorrow so don't have time really.

zeomax

It is fucking not unless you use them for like 12 hours a day for 10 years or some shit, i had 2 oled tv for 3 years each and used both as pc monitor and i had zero problem, the people who bought them from me are still enjoying the tv to this day.

Do you really think that heavy gamers like myself would buy 3 fucking times the same tech if burn in was inevitable?

Dude open world and action rpg are my favourite genres, basically fixed logos galore...

Between me and my father we had like 5 oled tv in a span of 6 years, no one had problem of burn in.

One was fucked up by a thunder during a thunderstorm tho.
It is funny to read the people who screams "BURN IN, BURN IN" are always the ones who never had an OLED.

Last edited:
Showing how meaningless input lag measuring is really, I have a TV with a reported 26ms input lag at 4K60 but it has a GtG 80% PRT of 31ms and the number one factors that determine input lag are still refresh rate and the internal engine lag.

Also my TV is 46ms at 1080p60 but Metroid Dread feels 10x as responsive as most other games.
It’s funny because as he was saying look at the aim down sights moment, I noticed the action was happening at the exact same time.

At the moment I think this video is just misleading and click baity. In terms if input lag.

And it’s funny because recently i’ve grown to appreciate lcd’s slower response time in 30 and 60fps games ; the lower response time leads to far less judder than on oled, for a smoother image in motion. Couple that with sony’s bfi on lcd and you really can’t match it with any oled.

120fps is where the tables turn as very few if any lcd have fast enough response time for a smear free 120fps, and the judder on oled is minimal, and add bfi to oled is when lcd just can’t match it.

I’ve used plenty of oleds, and plenty of lcds, and 18ms has felt like 18ms ; i.e. 950g lcd has felt no less responsive than the sony a8h oled, both with 18ms input lag tested via leo bodnar tool by myself.

For various reasons, including oleds current uniformity woes, and the high judder at 30 and less so 60 fps, i’ve come to think lcd is actually currently superior to oled ; when it’s a quality lcd set anyway like a Sony with a high number of dimming zones. Problem is Sony is not trying atm but hopefully 2022 is better.

Kuranghi

A downgrade sure but after my E7 burnt in after less than two years of usage, I'll take the peace of mind and reduced cost.

Fuck I bet that was expensive as well, even 55" would've been around 2.5K back in 2017 right? Thats the one with the floating glass design yeah? It looked so fucking cool, shame they got rid of the E and W.

PSA for UKers - The 65WX is on clearance for £2200 just now, could be really good for a clean looking cinema room without having to inset the wall and wraggle:

GHG

Gold Member
If you want to the worst example of bloom on LCD and why OLED wins in that type of scene then load up Rambo: First Blood Part 2 in HDR and skip to the scene where he's sneaking under the house with his knife. Thats the worst blooming I've ever seen on my ZD9, because its like a 1000 nit specular highlight next to really really near black shadow detail.

I've never tried it on the OLED actually, gotta see how it looks :pie_thinking:

I'd be intersted if someone with an OLED take a photo of it if its easy to do, I'm busy the rest of tonight and tomorrow so don't have time really.

If you give me a timestamp I can try and get a capture for you later.

Kuranghi

Maybe micro led will be something better than both? Or have the advantages of both anyway. It'll probably be years before we see it commercially available still. Let's enjoy our TVs in the meantime anyway. This is some privileged shit to be arguing about. Peace.

I spoke to a guy at Sony HQ who was there in person for the unveiling of a CLEDIS 16K screen and he said it was unbelievable so I can't wait for consumer 8K microLED. It was in a museum I think but its basically this:

Imagine how fucking cool it would be to have a million pound display haha

Kuranghi

If you give me a timestamp I can try and get a capture for you later.

Acht I'm so busy sorry, I'll look for a copy of it on my phone and let you know if I get time, but probably around 30-40 mins in I'd say.

Its when he's sneaking through and scouting the camp.

Reactions: GHG

bender

What time is it?
Fuck I bet that was expensive as well, even 55" would've been around 2.5K back in 2017 right? Thats the one with the floating glass design yeah? It looked so fucking cool, shame they got rid of the E and W.

PSA for UKers - The 65WX is on clearance for £2200 just now, could be really good for a clean looking cinema room without having to inset the wall and wraggle:

I got a good deal but it was pricey. Floating glass was beautiful. I had to have the panel replaced right away because of the dreaded square due to a known factory calibration issue. Rocket League gave me burn in. It was a lovely set but way too much of a hassle after 10 years of Kuro use.

Going from Kuro -> E7 -> Bravia LCD was a pretty big shock/adjustment though you kind of get used to the local dimming zones. .

Kuranghi

I got a good deal but it was pricey. Floating glass was beautiful. I had to have the panel replaced right away because of the dreaded square due to a known factory calibration issue. Rocket League gave me burn in. It was a lovely set but way too much of a hassle after 10 years of Kuro use.

Going from Kuro -> E7 -> Bravia LCD was a pretty big shock/adjustment though you kind of get used to the local dimming zones. .

Holy shit that factory calibration square thing was so weird. I'm sure it happened on a set in my mates shop.

What Bravia do you have now?

HTK

Banned
I'd rather risk burn-in than play games on a muddy/ugly ass picture from an LCD. Not to mention the benefits of Response Time and Input Lag on the OLED along with picture quality.

I bought my very first OLED this year. I will never and I mean never go back to a shit LCD panel.

Excess

Here's a video about the LG CX and burn-in:

To be fair, Linus is an idiot for using it in the way he did. I have a B7 that I use for the PC and it's still going strong with no burn-in.

I wouldn't ever recommend one as a PC monitor, but if you're willing to auto-hide the taskbar, use a 1-minute timed screen saver, and constantly move windows around so that nothing is ever static, then you should be fine.

bender

What time is it?
Holy shit that factory calibration square thing was so weird. I'm sure it happened on a set in my mates shop.

What Bravia do you have now?

950G. It's fine, I guess. I just can't enable the WiFi and while I play my consoles online/download anything as it interferes with them too much.

Kuranghi

To be fair, Linus is an idiot for using it in the way he did. I have a B7 that I use for the PC and it's still going strong with no burn-in.

I wouldn't ever recommend one as a PC monitor, but if you're willing to auto-hide the taskbar, use a 1-minute timed screen saver, and constantly move windows around so that nothing is ever static, then you should be fine.

Yeah Linus is a bit of TV-spaz imo, I don't have much respect left, he's good with computer stuff though ofc.

Kuranghi

950G. It's fine, I guess. I just can't enable the WiFi and while I play my consoles online/download anything as it interferes with them too much.

Sweet, what size? The larger ones have X-Wide Angle which isn't so good imo, but its only the 75" and 85".

It has 60 dimming zones in both 55" and 65" and I love it because its the first great set with X1U (ZF9 has ~112 zones in 65" but the low contrast panel sucks for black level) ~1200 nits peak brightness. Which is nearly 25% brighter than the XF/G 90.

I think its the best post-2017 4K Sony LCD you could have actually. X900H is rubbish and X90J is great but lacks zones, 24 is not enough imo, I used to slag off the entry level backlit LG nanocells for that (I think one set even had like 12 or less zones lol it was so stupid, edge lit looked better overall due to the clouding distraction) and I won't hold off on Sony going too low even with their better dimming algorithm.

ZF9 would be maybe be better with bias lighting and a calibration to take advantage of that, but it was INSANELY overpriced for what it was, they were just trying to pretend it was a true ZD9 successor even though they didn't put the Backlight Master Drive in it. The viewing angle is awesome, though I only saw the 65" model.

Thats my issue though, I think the C1 motion is heavily improved over previous LG motion but I watched a lot of different content on it and I can still see artifacts in challenging content (Look at the Trolls World Tour demo video on the 77C1 for instance and thats literally them putting their best settings forward for show floor display and artifacts are clearly visible to me).

I personally don't even use the motion stuff on my Sony because I dislike removing that cinematic quality that 24hz has even though I can rarely see artifacts with it.

Anyway I love my ZD9 and my AF9 alike, but its got to be my ZD9 for gaming and most 24hz content looks better on it due to the motion, but obviously if its dark or LCD challenging 24hz content then I go with the OLED, but then I dislike the motion compared to the ZD9 motion at 24hz. I do realise its an outlier TV though, you can count on one hand the number of LCD TVs that can actually compete with OLED in terms of dimming.

Lets just agree to disagree.
You honestly thought c1 while using the cinemotion interpolation setting didn't have less artifacts than Sony interpolation?

bender

What time is it?
Sweet, what size? The larger ones have X-Wide Angle which isn't so good imo, but its only the 75" and 85".

It has 60 dimming zones in both 55" and 65" and I love it because its the first great set with X1U (ZF9 has ~112 zones in 65" but the low contrast panel sucks for black level) ~1200 nits peak brightness. Which is nearly 25% brighter than the XF/G 90.

I think its the best post-2017 4K Sony LCD you could have actually. X900H is rubbish and X90J is great but lacks zones, 24 is not enough imo, I used to slag off the entry level backlit LG nanocells for that (I think one set even had like 12 or less zones lol it was so stupid, edge lit looked better overall due to the clouding distraction) and I won't hold off on Sony going too low even with their better dimming algorithm.

ZF9 would be maybe be better with bias lighting and a calibration to take advantage of that, but it was INSANELY overpriced for what it was, they were just trying to pretend it was a true ZD9 successor even though they didn't put the Backlight Master Drive in it. The viewing angle is awesome, though I only saw the 65" model.

I went 65" which is probably too big but I picked it up during a sale. It has some of the worst built in speakers I've ever heard. The E7 actually sounded good for a built in set. I consider the Bravia a limp-along set until the next technology comes along though I've often considered going the TCL route and just buying a cheap set every few years (as shitty as that is for the planet) rather than investing $2,500-5,000 on any given high end set.

Last edited:

Excess

Yeah Linus is a bit of TV-spaz imo, I don't have much respect left, he's good with computer stuff though ofc.
Either that, or he knew he wanted to make a video on it a few months down the road and decided to use it the way he did. Watching Linus over the years, it seems he spares no expense if he can monetize it for content.

I agree that 950g is the best small size 55 or 49 Sony currently. Still not a huge upgrade over x900e!

X900f would be my pick, easily, if it didn't have high 1080p source lag and had native 1080p120hz support like 950g.

I thought my x900e could do 120hz on ps5 until I tried last night :p so it's in need of an upgrade even more than I thought.

Kuranghi

I went 65" which is probably too big but I picked it up during a sale. It has some of the worst built in speakers I've ever heard. The E7 actually sound good for a built in set.

Yeah the soundstrip on the E7 was pretty good actually given how thin it is.

Agree about the X950G speakers being so ass, I dreaded turning them on in front of a customer, just went straight to "so listen you NEED a soundbar on all modern tellys because the speakers are so shit okay?" style spiel lol the 55" speakers were even worse, like really "bangy" if that makes sense, like the TV was trying to produce bass by firing pinballs from a small cannon off its own insides lol.

I recommend the ZF9 soundbar to go with the X950G but wire the sub because the signal is shit (for me at least and I do have many devices in between it and the soundbar). You might be able to find a deal with the rear speakers online, I find the stereo separation really impressive, like it fills the whole 4.5m width of the room even though its only 1m wide and as long as you have an actual Dolby Atmos or DTS:X signal (ie 5.1.2 or 7.1.2) the Vertical Surround is really great, even if it makes it a tiny bit tinnier. Vertical surround is fake surround sound and height channels if its Atmos/DTS:X but if you have the rears then its only simulating the height, but from actual height data so its 10x better than just using it on a 5.1/7.1 signal.

Kuranghi

You honestly thought c1 while using the cinemotion interpolation setting didn't have less artifacts than Sony interpolation?

Yes but I'm talking really minor, it was challenging stuff because the motion was super fast. I wouldn't mention it to a customer anymore unless they said what is the very best motion, money no object. The SOE I did notice a smadge more than the Sony (A80J) but that could also just be a matter of perfecting the amount of dejudder when I have more time to play around. When I use motion interpolation its usually set super low so maybe the Sony just does less to the images at its minimum than the LG does so its more like the slider isn't giving me enough options rather than the LG being noticeably worse at it.

So now I'd say I think the presentation/sharpness and gradient handling of the Sony is better than the LG but its also that annoying thing of some stuff looks too sharp and wrong on the XR chip TVs like you said before.

I reckon "XR 2" could be amazing and whatever LG cooks up next, the "Zeta Gundam 11 Gen 1" lol. Fingers crossed for VA panel miniLEDs from Sorny, the QNEDS have awful blooming just like the QN85.

Last edited:
Even if we ignore the testimonials of OLED users ITT, the C2 is apparently going to feature even more anti-burn in tech. It really will be less and less of an issue as time goes on.
And when OLED no longer suffers from burn in everyone will switch. Until then thanks for beta testing.
Yeah. I've owned an OLED(C7) and used it as a computer monitor. You should see the burn in on it from the windows taskbar and desktop wallpaper. My cousin who now owns it refers to the large burn in spot I created from a particular Berserk wallpaper as a "dookie stain". A TV barely five years old that I paid thousands of dollars for.

Soltype

I kinda wonder what CRTs would be like if they were being constantly improved for the past 15 years. They were heavy and bulky as fuck, but I gotta believe they could have figured out ways to make the leaded glass weigh less. Then again, given the need for a vacuum and all that maybe it really is just part of the design and could never be significantly improved.
I feel like they never even tried, they saw an easy way out and took it. It'd be nice to see someone put some R&D behind it.

JackSparr0w

Banned

Yeah he is an idiot for expecting a fundamentally flawed technology like OLED to be able to function like any other display.

Where are the guidelines from LG that state how often I have to move my windows around? How long am I allowed to watch the news? Do you even realize how insane OLED fans sound to normal people when they talk about baby sitting a freakin TV.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I feel like they never even tried, they saw an easy way out and took it. It'd be nice to see someone put some R&D behind it.
Samsung did. They came out with some crts that were about 30 percent thinner than others. They suffered from screen uniformity issues more than others though iirc.

Yes but I'm talking really minor, it was challenging stuff because the motion was super fast. I wouldn't mention it to a customer anymore unless they said what is the very best motion, money no object. The SOE I did notice a smadge more than the Sony (A80J) but that could also just be a matter of perfecting the amount of dejudder when I have more time to play around. When I use motion interpolation its usually set super low so maybe the Sony just does less to the images at its minimum than the LG does so its more like the slider isn't giving me enough options rather than the LG being noticeably worse at it.

So now I'd say I think the presentation/sharpness and gradient handling of the Sony is better than the LG but its also that annoying thing of some stuff looks too sharp and wrong on the XR chip TVs like you said before.

I reckon "XR 2" could be amazing and whatever LG cooks up next, the "Zeta Gundam 11 Gen 1" lol. Fingers crossed for VA panel miniLEDs from Sorny, the QNEDS have awful blooming just like the QN85.
I strongly disagree, I have a8h interpolation set to 1 and I easily noticed “sparklies” breakup on fast moving text and animation like cartoons which was just pretty much flat out gone on c1 with the cinemotion setting engaged. Even the wife noticed when I pointed it out lol. It would be cool to look at some of this stuff together but i’ll leave it at that.

As far as SOE, the Sony is still better I agree. but it still has soe so I prefer the lack of artifacts on c1 overall.

At the end of the day, LG still has way way worse gradation handling so I still don’t think I want an lg lol. Just for Sony to get there act together. And I think XR2 can only be an improvement!

Top Bottom