• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've made a lot of assumptions about Nintendo's next system

Putting this in bold so hopefully people will actually read it: I'm not saying this is definitely the route they'll take

I mean we may very well be correct, but I don't think there is any guarantee out there that says that Nintendo will stick with this model.

The Switch served its purpose, and so did the DS/3DS, but Nintendo handhelds no longer have dual screens. The fact that Nintendo released a switch lite to me suggests there is an opening for them to separate their skus entirely again. There is a concept that would have Nintendo wanting to be vastly more portable in order to compete with mobile phones, particularly in Japan. I could very well see a portable with a foldable screen in the future.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft is going to be in a rush to release an entirely new SKU at best we're going to see Pro models.

I could see Nintendo releasing a 15-20 Tflops home console to try to regain market dominance and start generating 3rd party royalties again while releasing a more traditional switch lite successor. I think publishers would welcome it to bring more competition to the console market. They could probably do so at a price point pretty competitive to that of the PS5 and XSX.

I could also see their games still working on both systems as well as having exclusives to each.

I think Nintendo is in a precarious situation where just releasing a souped-up Switch 2 which is basically a Switch Pro is going to have real issues with market penetration and I think it's interesting that we just assume they'll keep this model going. I can also see them holding off on a handheld successor right away. You look at the Tegra X2 and its just not going to do the trick.

petricore

Neo Member
There is no way that Nintendo will make again a powerful home console. The maximum we can expect is a switch 2 with a less powerful derivative of the amd z1 Extreme... And even this is wishful thinking... Make more sense for them to release a switch 2 with an arm based chip, probably a successor of the Nvidia x1... Let's hope as powerful as the series s

feynoob

Banned
There is no way that Nintendo will make again a powerful home console. The maximum we can expect is a switch 2 with a less powerful derivative of the amd z1 Extreme... And even this is wishful thinking... Make more sense for them to release a switch 2 with an arm based chip, probably a successor of the Nvidia x1... Let's hope as powerful as the series s
After switch success, they will make slighly a powerful switch that has ps4pro power or less.

Fredrik

I think Nintendo is in a precarious situation where just releasing a souped-up Switch 2 which is basically a Switch Pro is going to have real issues with market penetration and I think it's interesting that we just assume they'll keep this model going. I can also see them holding off on a handheld successor right away. You look at the Tegra X2 and its just not going to do the trick.
I’ve been down on Switch and it’s weak power for years but after having played a few hours of the new Zelda I don’t care. There is currently nothing on the new consoles that can compete with TOTK. As long as Nintendo can release games like that they’ll do fine and I know I could never ever skip their console. As the ultimate must-have secondary platform they’ll automatically sell more consoles than anyone else.

Killer8

The idea of Switch 2 just being a simplistic boost in power over the Switch, or even the general idea that it will be a 'Switch 2', flies in the face of everything Nintendo has done for the last 2 decades.

The trend has consistently been that Nintendo does something that is viewed as innovative (or a gimmick, however you want to define it). DS was dual screens and a touch screen. Wii was motion controls. 3DS was glasses free 3D. Wii U was a screen integrated into the controller. Switch was a true handheld + console hybrid.

The only assumption I have at this point is that any assumption I make is going to be pointless, because chances are Nintendo are going to surprise people yet again.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The next Nintendo system is tricky to talk about. As it is using Nvidia hardware I can't see Nintendo getting the discounts that they want to have a cheap console like they like to do. But they do not seems to have a gimmick this time. And the Switch system is strong so the demand for a Switch 2 is huge. I will wait and see but we know that it will not be before next year at the least.
I’ve been down on Switch and it’s weak power for years but after having played a few hours of the new Zelda I don’t care. There is currently nothing on the new consoles that can compete with TOTK. As long as Nintendo can release games like that they’ll do fine and I know I could never ever skip their console. As the ultimate must-have secondary platform they’ll automatically sell more consoles than anyone else.
They always had the games. But the Switch got a lot of Wii U games that they released again. And got the fusion of their console and portable teams to have more games in the same place. Now, the benefits of both of those actions will be limited in the future. And Nintendo next console will have some of the AAA games problems like longer dev times. So that will be interesting to look at in the coming years. A good console will help them so they have to make it right. I can see them pushing the VR tech if they think that it has enough potential. But it would need them to make a powerful console.
The only assumption I have at this point is that any assumption I make is going to be pointless, because chances are Nintendo are going to surprise people yet again.
Always. Even a boring Switch 2 would be a surprise.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo has proved time and time again the games of the generation don’t need to be super powerful.

If your thing is bleeding edge graphics with light gameplay and interactive experiences .. that’s fine but that’s not Nintendo.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

We always assume Nintendo will repeat a success once again. But they kind of tried that with the Wii U - another gimmicky controller with motion controls - and it didn't work. I guess I have also assumed they'll just do a Switch 2, a new more powerful version of the same concept, but who would that appeal to apart from hardcore gamers that love more power? Casual gamers don't care if the Switch is weak or not. I have a feeling Nintendo will need to do more than just launch a more powerful Switch. I think they'll surprise us again.

amigastar

The next Nintendo system is tricky to talk about. As it is using Nvidia hardware I can't see Nintendo getting the discounts that they want to have a cheap console like they like to do. But they do not seems to have a gimmick this time. And the Switch system is strong so the demand for a Switch 2 is huge. I will wait and see but we know that it will not be before next year at the least.

They always had the games. But the Switch got a lot of Wii U games that they released again. And got the fusion of their console and portable teams to have more games in the same place. Now, the benefits of both of those actions will be limited in the future. And Nintendo next console will have some of the AAA games problems like longer dev times. So that will be interesting to look at in the coming years. A good console will help them so they have to make it right. I can see them pushing the VR tech if they think that it has enough potential. But it would need them to make a powerful console.

Always. Even a boring Switch 2 would be a surprise.
How would that be a surprise? And you even say it's boring.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
How would that be a surprise? And you even say it's boring.
All Nintendo have a gimmick since the DS, in 2004. So 20 years of weak consoles with something else to try to get people onboard. Having a console like the Gamecube was made, just a powerful console, would be really surprising after 2 decades of being different. I said boring in the sense that a stronger Switch, kind of like a Gameboy color upgrade was to the original gameboy would be.

The idea of Switch 2 just being a simplistic boost in power over the Switch, or even the general idea that it will be a 'Switch 2', flies in the face of everything Nintendo has done for the last 2 decades.

The trend has consistently been that Nintendo does something that is viewed as innovative (or a gimmick, however you want to define it). DS was dual screens and a touch screen. Wii was motion controls. 3DS was glasses free 3D. Wii U was a screen integrated into the controller. Switch was a true handheld + console hybrid.

This is exactly my thinking.

I think their best bet on handheld is limited cost and limiting size as much as possible. That's why I'm thinking a foldable screen is in their future. I'm not sure that we're going to see them try to drive portable power after seeing the Z1 Extreme and its struggles at 10 watts. I also don't think the X2 is going to be a powerful enough leap to get people to buy this on top of their switch.

I think hybrid poses a lot of challenges in terms of battery life and power, which is why they came out with the switch lite. I think 4-5 hours is really the sweet spot on a single charge for portable gaming and I think mobile poses a huge challenge for Nintendo. No one really plays switch in public on buses or trains or at the airport. I think it's just too big and the Switch lite has a lifetime sales in Japan of 5 million units.

I think they're going to switch things up here. Maybe a Switch Pro that uses an Tegra X2 and a foldable screen while they release a home console with 15-20 tflops that will make it the most powerful console on the market. With 3rd party support and ports of their biggest games, I think it'll be fairly successful.

Whatever is the case I've held off buying a Switch for 6 yrs but now I'm weak 🤣 I need some Zelda in my life
I want 4K games and I think there are a lot of us out there. I think if Nintendo were to put out a console more powerful than PS5 and XSX that A LOT of people would gravitate to it if there were support for switch games at higher resolution and framerate or select ports.

Sleepwalker

This is exactly my thinking.

I think their best bet on handheld is limited cost and limiting size as much as possible. That's why I'm thinking a foldable screen is in their future. I'm not sure that we're going to see them try to drive portable power after seeing the Z1 Extreme and its struggles at 10 watts. I also don't think the X2 is going to be a powerful enough leap to get people to buy this on top of their switch.

I think hybrid poses a lot of challenges in terms of battery life and power, which is why they came out with the switch lite. I think 4-5 hours is really the sweet spot on a single charge for portable gaming and I think mobile poses a huge challenge for Nintendo. No one really plays switch in public on buses or trains or at the airport. I think it's just too big and the Switch lite has a lifetime sales in Japan of 5 million units.

I think they're going to switch things up here. Maybe a Switch Pro that uses an Tegra X2 and a foldable screen while they release a home console with 15-20 tflops that will make it the most powerful console on the market. With 3rd party support and ports of their biggest games, I think it'll be fairly successful.
I think a nintendo 15-20 tflop console is wishful thinking and while it may receive third party support for single player games, their online infrastructure isn't there at all so that would need to be addressed in order for people to make it their preferred console for multiplayer experiences.

I would like them to actually put some guts inside the dock maybe some sort of eGPU mechanism in order to push the hardware more, that could be a good compromise for their next console.

Definitely dont see them releasing a $500 home console anytime soon.

Nintendo can't support two systems with software. That might have been different in the era of 2D GameBoy and DS games, but nowadays handheld games like on the Switch take about as much effort to develop as console games. That's exactly the reason they developed the Switch.

The Switch is also really popular. While Nintendo loves doing crazy stuff, they don't like throwing away the baby with the bathwater. The Wii U didn't abandon the Wii and the 3DS didn't abandon the DS. They are iterative systems that build upon the predecessor's strengths and might add a new gimmick to set it apart. A gimmick that ultimately won't make that big a difference. Probably.

So it will be a Switch 2, and though it might have some new gimmick, it will probably be a system defined by its library. As always.

Woopah

Splitting their attention across multiple SKUs would be one of the worst mistakes they could make. Switch getting the full power of all their teams and partners is a huge reason for its success.

That's also the reason Switch will sell more hardware and software in Japan than any other platform. They don't need a foldable screen to compete.

I don't think they will release new console that soon, Switch is still earning them enough money to sustain them.
Nintendo wants maximum money, nor just enough money. They need a new console to start growing again.

AngelMuffin

Regain market dominance? I think selling over 130M consoles and counting is pretty dominant. Not even taking into account that the Switch has been profitable from day 1 and the ungodly amount of revenue their games produce.I don’t think there’s any chance they release a SKU that competes directly with Xbox or PS…they got out of that game a while ago. Honestly, they don’t need to either. I’m completely fine with the Switch being a complimentary console to my PS5. Something I use exclusively to play Nintendo published games and when I travel. Do so want something more powerful? Yes. Does it need to be a console to rule them all. No.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nintendo can't support two systems with software. That might have been different in the era of 2D GameBoy and DS games, but nowadays handheld games like on the Switch take about as much effort to develop as console games. That's exactly the reason they developed the Switch.

The Switch is also really popular. While Nintendo loves doing crazy stuff, they don't like throwing away the baby with the bathwater. The Wii U didn't abandon the Wii and the 3DS didn't abandon the DS. They are iterative systems that build upon the predecessor's strengths and might add a new gimmick to set it apart. A gimmick that ultimately won't make that big a difference. Probably.

So it will be a Switch 2, and though it might have some new gimmick, it will probably be a system defined by its library. As always.

I dont think this is true. In the "old days" Nintendo had to support 2 truely unique system architectures.

If they were to launch a powerfull new console, and a switch based on similar architecture, you would not have to make 2 very different versions of the game. Think series X to S, as long as they have the same amount of ram and similar architechture you could do it pretty easily. 10 times easier than wii u to 3ds, that's for sure. Same would go for 3rd parties.

I'd like to be surprised, and who knows with Nintendo arrogance, but it seems unlikely still though do to the costs involved in a powefull home console. Unless they went like just slightly above ps5/series x and kept it relatively cheap, and has backwards compatibility with Switch 1.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Putting this in bold so hopefully people will actually read it: I'm not saying this is definitely the route they'll take

I mean we may very well be correct, but I don't think there is any guarantee out there that says that Nintendo will stick with this model.

The Switch served its purpose, and so did the DS/3DS, but Nintendo handhelds no longer have dual screens. The fact that Nintendo released a switch lite to me suggests there is an opening for them to separate their skus entirely again. There is a concept that would have Nintendo wanting to be vastly more portable in order to compete with mobile phones, particularly in Japan. I could very well see a portable with a foldable screen in the future.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft is going to be in a rush to release an entirely new SKU at best we're going to see Pro models.

I could see Nintendo releasing a 15-20 Tflops home console to try to regain market dominance and start generating 3rd party royalties again while releasing a more traditional switch lite successor. I think publishers would welcome it to bring more competition to the console market. They could probably do so at a price point pretty competitive to that of the PS5 and XSX.

I could also see their games still working on both systems as well as having exclusives to each.

Largely I agree, Nintendo would be hardpressed to upgrade 80 million of the 135 million to "more powerful switch". I too was an imagining a scenario where they go in a different direction, but I'm not willing to make any predictions on what direction that is.

I imagined Nintendo bringing back a GameBoy branded product, but what would that even look like in 2023. If they indeed to go back to building a traditional console, they are perfectly primed to release a console on par with the PS5 Pro and Xbox XX. It would be even more beneficial with such a high performance baseline for software development. But alas, there is no way Nintendo would do any of that.

I think a nintendo 15-20 tflop console is wishful thinking and while it may receive third party support for single player games, their online infrastructure isn't there at all so that would need to be addressed in order for people to make it their preferred console for multiplayer experiences.

I would like them to actually put some guts inside the dock maybe some sort of eGPU mechanism in order to push the hardware more, that could be a good compromise for their next console.

Definitely dont see them releasing a $500 home console anytime soon.
I think that the dock would have to be sold entirely separately then.

I think they can do so by having games be largely cross-platform, something they've never really done.

Splitting their attention across multiple SKUs would be one of the worst mistakes they could make. Switch getting the full power of all their teams and partners is a huge reason for its success.

That's also the reason Switch will sell more hardware and software in Japan than any other platform. They don't need a foldable screen to compete.

Nintendo wants maximum money, nor just enough money. They need a new console to start growing again.
I don't think the idea would be splitting attention, rather making cross platform titles, while having a machine that sells to another segment they've been missing out on, while maximizing their market in the portable space.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Shame they arent willing to cater to both markets, like a series s/x type deal. They can still make games built around the specs of the low end system to keep costs down, and just run them at a higher frame rate and resolution on the high end system

PS5 is still lagging somewhat in Japan. As conceivable it would be to up the ante now that there are other handheld power gaming machines in the Steam Deck and ROG Ally, those are too recent and western a phenomenon. And with PS5 well behind as mentioned, I doubt Nintendo will even be compelled in the least to offer an eGPU dock.

Largely I agree, Nintendo would be hardpressed to upgrade 80 million of the 135 million to "more powerful switch". I too was an imagining a scenario where they go in a different direction, but I'm not willing to make any predictions on what direction that is.

I imagined Nintendo bringing back a GameBoy branded product, but what would that even look like in 2023. If they indeed to go back to building a traditional console, they are perfectly primed to release a console on par with the PS5 Pro and Xbox XX. It would be even more beneficial with such a high performance baseline for software development. But alas, there is no way Nintendo would do any of that.

On the portable side they could simply release a Tegra X2 portable with a foldable screen and call it "The Gameboy"

The clam shell design of the GBA SP was kind of design to play more like a gameboy with the screen above the controls rather than the wide design of the gameboy advance.

A foldable switch that fits in your pocket could be a big win.

PS5 is still lagging somewhat in Japan. As conceivable it would be to up the ante now that there are other handheld power gaming machines in the Steam Deck and ROG Ally, those are too recent and western a phenomenon. And with PS5 well behind as mentioned, I doubt Nintendo will even be compelled in the least to offer an eGPU dock.

We'll see how well the PS5 does with the PS5 slim and FF16 but I don't think they've put enough investment into Japanese games to really recover their market share there all that much.

hinch7

No. That would be leaving money on the table.

These consoles are designed to be cheap and easily accessible. Their portable consoles are the most popular and they won't go back to traditional box under the TV.

brian0057

Banned
Shame they arent willing to cater to both markets, like a series s/x type deal. They can still make games built around the specs of the low end system to keep costs down, and just run them at a higher frame rate and resolution on the high end system
Microsoft was mocked for the Series S existing in the first place.
The truth is that people don't like is that Nintendo doesn't care about the power of the console like they used to or like how people today care.

MAtgS

Why does the "Nintendo should/will make a high end console" idea keep getting brought up? Like how dumb and delusional do you have to be to look at how badly the N64, Gamecube, & especially Wii U got creamed by Playstations while GBA, DS, & 3DS were bigger successes & the Switch has now crossed 125 million units sold & think to yourself "Nintendo's doing it all wrong, a Playstation rival launching 3 years behind PS5 is the way to go"?

Like think about it, who would actually choose a high end Nintendo console as the THE go to platform for all of their 3rd parties over XBox Series & PS5? No one would, they already got a system that plays those games so why spend money buying new hardware to play the same game? & I know this is true because we literally saw it happen with the Wii U. When Wii U launched, it was on par with the then current Playstation & Xbox consoles, PS3 & 360. CoDBO2 & AC3 both released on Wii U at about the same time as other platforms. & they both BOMBED on Wii U along with just about every other 3rd party game. Why buy a Wii U to play CoD when most players already have a PS3/360 or could buy a new one for less than what Nintendo was charging?

& yet here you are, suggesting Nintendo do this again, releasing a console only system 3 years after PS5 & XBS which have already sold tens of millions of units. Again, there is the question of why would anyone buy a new system to play 3rd party games when they already have one that does.

Or were you envisioning this hypothetical system to somehow be on the power level of PS6, miraculously beating Sony & Microsoft to the punch by about 4 years? Well even then, there wouldn't be any 3rd party games on that level. Why would there, everyone's developing for this generation of console. PS6 level games wouldn't come until the PS6 itself does, by which point the Nintendo console will be viewed upon as a failure for having had no games for several years.

There is no scenario where a high end console works for Nintendo. None. That ship has sailed so fucking long ago. It was evident during the GCN's life 20 years ago & it's only gotten worse since then. Multiple generations of gamers having the notion that Nintendo isn't where you go for 3rd parties hard wired into their brains. 3rd parties will always be gun shy about committing to even a high selling system (seriously, how does Switch still not have CoD, Madden, or GTA5?) after decades of being burnt.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Only way they can provide two radically different systems like it used to be with home console and portables (say cube vs gba style) is if they stick to the current hybrid format for the main machine in ~24 and then release a VR system a couple years later given the wildly different fundamentals.

That might still be stretching it however, since if they're both essentially portable then it'd kinda suck to be paying twice for a similarly powered chipset so maybe the Pimax Portal's way of making it an add on/sleeve for the portable machine would work better in that case as well.

Attempting to go home console + portable instead will probably be a failure. Everyone's sure we're getting a Switch 2 cos that's the way to keep being successful for now. If they don't it'll probably be another fail unless they make some crazy breakthrough outside specs.

Personally I wish we had gotten a true Wii 2 instead of Wii U in 2012, 1:1 VR-esque controller tracking with a full suite of inputs rather than the somewhat gimped Wii + nunchuck set up would have rocked, but that ship has most likely sailed by now.

Last edited:

Tams

Nah, that's just fanciful thinking that they'll get into the power race again (in total; the Switch still ain't too terrible given the size, weight, and price).

TotK is a prime example of them not needing to.

I do hope they find a way to go dual screen again. Maybe even foldable, but that's too expensive and not durable enough for now.

And I'd love a stylus again. Preferably Wacom EMR. There's a whole market and budding, mostly young amateur artists out there.

Last edited:
Why does the "Nintendo should/will make a high end console" idea keep getting brought up? Like how dumb and delusional do you have to be to look at how badly the N64, Gamecube, & especially Wii U got creamed by Playstations while GBA, DS, & 3DS were bigger successes & the Switch has now crossed 125 million units sold & think to yourself "Nintendo's doing it all wrong, a Playstation rival launching 3 years behind PS5 is the way to go"?

Like think about it, who would actually choose a high end Nintendo console as the THE go to platform for all of their 3rd parties over XBox Series & PS5? No one would, they already got a system that plays those games so why spend money buying new hardware to play the same game? & I know this is true because we literally saw it happen with the Wii U. When Wii U launched, it was on par with the then current Playstation & Xbox consoles, PS3 & 360. CoDBO2 & AC3 both released on Wii U at about the same time as other platforms. & they both BOMBED on Wii U along with just about every other 3rd party game. Why buy a Wii U to play CoD when most players already have a PS3/360 or could buy a new one for less than what Nintendo was charging?

& yet here you are, suggesting Nintendo do this again, releasing a console only system 3 years after PS5 & XBS which have already sold tens of millions of units. Again, there is the question of why would anyone buy a new system to play 3rd party games when they already have one that does.

Or were you envisioning this hypothetical system to somehow be on the power level of PS6, miraculously beating Sony & Microsoft to the punch by about 4 years? Well even then, there wouldn't be any 3rd party games on that level. Why would there, everyone's developing for this generation of console. PS6 level games wouldn't come until the PS6 itself does, by which point the Nintendo console will be viewed upon as a failure for having had no games for several years.

There is no scenario where a high end console works for Nintendo. None. That ship has sailed so fucking long ago. It was evident during the GCN's life 20 years ago & it's only gotten worse since then. Multiple generations of gamers having the notion that Nintendo isn't where you go for 3rd parties hard wired into their brains. 3rd parties will always be gun shy about committing to even a high selling system (seriously, how does Switch still not have CoD, Madden, or GTA5?) after decades of being burnt.

Dude, what a bold lie.

The Wii U launched in 2012, comparing it to being on par with the PS3 and 360 which launched in 2005 and 2006 when everyone knew we were getting new PlayStation and Xbox consoles in 2013 is not the same thing. The Wii U was immediately the least powerful console in just one year.

Here the Nintendo system would be just as powerful if not more powerful than PS5 Pro and would be the most powerful console on the market until PS6/Next Xbox, which wouldn't be for another 3-4 years.

Huge difference from barely being on par with 6 year old tech.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I could see Nintendo releasing a 15-20 Tflops home console to try to regain market dominance

They will do what they always do, the unexpected.

That being said, this point will not happen.

I’d take anything they do, handheld wise. It’ll be my primary console moving forward. I do think we’re getting Switch 2 this time. I do think it’ll ‘only’ sell 70-80m. I do think we might get another clamshell after that.

Non example. It was the near end of the 360/PS3 gen. Wii U was horribly dated the PS4 and XBOne dropped. History repeated, only this time without a compelling hook.

ThaGuy

I always thought they followed the model of doing a revolution then a evolution.

Nintendo 64 - revolution
GameCube - evolution
Wii - revolution
Wii U - evolution

If they continue this cycle we are getting a better switch with minor differences. The console afterwards will probably be something new. But this is Nintendo so I won't say that's 100% true.

MAtgS

Dude, what a bold lie.

The Wii U launched in 2012, comparing it to being on par with the PS3 and 360 which launched in 2005 and 2006 when everyone knew we were getting new PlayStation and Xbox consoles in 2013 is not the same thing. The Wii U was immediately the least powerful console in just one year.

Here the Nintendo system would be just as powerful if not more powerful than PS5 Pro and would be the most powerful console on the market until PS6/Next Xbox, which wouldn't be for another 3-4 years.

Huge difference from barely being on par with 6 year old tech.
& what does that matter for Madden '13, CoDBO2, AC3, & other launch window Wii U games? The main point I was making is people already had consoles to play those games so they had no reason to buy a Wii U. This point was not countered & would still be true of a new console going against PS5/XBS.

Last edited:

fersnake

Nintendo just wanna play safe and make all the money. if they really want to keep making switchs for the rest of their lives at least give us a choice for us who want to play with better resolution, fps and graphics. make a dock with all the processing power in it. so thay way you play it on your tv and keep the handle when you are not home.

TLZ

Banned
That'd be the dream for me.

& what does that matter for Madden '13, CoDBO2, AC3, & other launch window Wii U games? The main point I was making is people already had consoles to play those games so they had no reason to buy a Wii U. This point was not countered & would still be true of a new console going against PS5/XBS.

There was no reason to upgrade from PS3/360 to Wii U. These system had huge libraries of games established and the Wii U was barely more powerful and the PS4 and X1 were already on the horizon.

The idea that that would be analogous to a Nintendo system launching in 2024 is absolutely bonkers.

Console or handheld or what ever they release will be underpowered and overpriced.

Nintendo wants to make money with each unit sold. They are not Sony or Microsoft.

You must be a complete fool to think that Nintendo releases state of the art technology now. The GameCube times are long gone. Expect a Switch 2.0

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's why Switch 2 should just be a spec boost. Do you think they want to release another dud like the Wii U? Or even that they must? Switch is a formula that works. Nintendo needs to leave it alone as much as possible.

reinking

Gold Member
I have changed my opinion of Nintendo over the last year. I am not confident they will give me a console experience that I want these days. I really want them to go all in on a clamshell designed handheld. If they want that handheld to plug into HDMI that is fine but I want their next system to be designed around portable. Not the big hulking Steam deck sized portable but something that fits in a pocket.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why would they make an powerful, expensive console they'd probably have to sell at a loss when they are doing incredibly well selling one that was already outdated at launch at a great profit?

They're not going back there.

whyman

So streaming it is.

If I had to guess it is another step in the direction of “play anywhere” but also “on any screen”. If it’s cloud based or local i am not sure yet.

Jinzo Prime

I want to see Nintendo use modern mobile tech to create new gameplay and console features. Smart devices have cameras, facial recognition, QR codes, heatrate sensors, pedometers, GPS, geocaching, light sensors, barometers, fingerprint readers, etc.

If any company could that tech to create in a new way, it would be Nintendo. Niantic proved that GPS could be uesd to create new types of games with Ingress and Pokemon Go, so why not Nintendo?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, I've said it before, we all assume that Nintendo is making a "Switch 2" that will obviously have the same design principles and full BC, just with a more powerful chip. We have really no way of knowing that and indeed Nintendo has talked about the difficulties of the console transition which to me implies that this may not be what they end up doing.

Nintendo just wanna play safe and make all the money. if they really want to keep making switchs for the rest of their lives at least give us a choice for us who want to play with better resolution, fps and graphics. make a dock with all the processing power in it. so thay way you play it on your tv and keep the handle when you are not home.
The Switch might look safe in hindsight but it really was not. PS5 and Xbox Series are both far safer than Switch was. Nintendo is the company LEAST likely to just play it safe, objectively.

Last edited:
Top Bottom