• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the best fitness based video game you ever play?

A bit of a different topic than what is usually talked about. Wii Fit, Zombie Run, just dance. What a fitness based game that you genuinely enjoyed while also getting a good workout? During the peak of Pokémon go that game genuinely made me get out and walk miles. I don’t think a game pushed me to being active ever more than it.

DDR

sean-hayes-jack-mcfarland.gif

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My wife is massively into Zwift.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Prolly ddr

Pistol whip is also pretty intensive
And and wii bowling when played as a 7 year old who has no clue how fucking fake the waggle controls are

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For me, I'd say Rock Band (well specifically now Clone Hero on PC). I have the old Logitech Xbox 360 guitar that weighs about 6.5 pounds.

Having this strapped to me, holding it up and jamming out with it for 2+ hours is usually a pretty good workout.

EDMIX

My sister hated the OG Wii Fit cause when it weighed you it always made her Mii fat.

The disrespect. I feel many don't factor into the emotional healing needed in weight loss. So to them they likely didn't see or understand this maybe doesn't make sense to have the game say and do all that.

Bluecondor

Golf simulators are definitely the most immersive sports video games for me. Hitting actual golf balls with full swings from your golf clubs and then seeing your ball flying accurate distances on virtual courses completely holds my attention.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Can we count the Dark Souls pushup challenge? You do a (safe) number of pushups for each death.

The shittier you are at the game, the stronger you get.

Last edited:

Rykan

Golf simulators are definitely the most immersive sports video games for me. Hitting actual golf balls with full swings from your golf clubs and then seeing your ball flying accurate distances on virtual courses completely holds my attention.
Golf is like the least fitness - like sport there is lol

RavageX

EA Active 2. I Think that was the name of it. Had a heart monitor and sensors you wore. Exercises focused on arms, legs, core and cardio. 9 week programs and other cool stuff. This would get you into shape and lose weight if you stuck with it. Worked(works) really well. I still go back to it.

Ring fit works too, and BoxVR was my go-to VR game. You will sweat, thats for sure.

John Bilbo

Beat saber and Ringfit

Edit: Beat saber is cardio and Ringfit is basic bodyweight exercises

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Ring Fit Adventure can beat the shit out of you if you set it to the hardest level. 'Do 60 reps of this' only to be followed up by 'do 40 reps of this', and so on and so on.

Pokémon GO and Pikmin Bloom have had me walking miles and running more. Ingress too at one point.

Any dancing game.

And there was the Moov (recently gone out of business) boxing thing, which pretty much was a game. That thing absolutely killed me.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wii Fit U was an amazing piece of software.
I wonder if there’s a single other person in the entire forum that has tried it.

mxbison

Ring Fit is fun and gets you a legit, exhausting workout.

Some VR games like Pistol Whip can also get you sweating, but I wouldn't call them fitness based.

GymWolf

Thrill of the fight vr is gonna make you sweat like a fucking pig, and the day after you are gonna be super sore.

But really any decent vr game is good for a sweat.

The game is also the best boxe simulator in existence by far.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I haven’t tried it yet, but my girl loves Ring Fit Adventure. She has a nice treadmill, doesn’t touch it. Kettlebells, nope. But she loves her Ring Fit.

GymWolf

Thrill of the Fight 100%. Best $10 you will ever spend.
The game is so good that i double dipped on rift and quest.

The only downside is that it need kinda of a big room to work perfectly, it is not the type of game to play in a small ass room if you don't want to punch a wall.

chixdiggit

The game is so good that i double dipped on rift and quest.

The only downside is that it need kinda of a big room to work perfectly, it is not the type of game to play in a small ass room if you don't want to punch a wall.
I double dipped as well. Nice to take it in a wide open area without the wires. That's the beauty of the Quest.

AllyITA

as previously mentioned..

VR:
Thrill of the fight
pistol whip
beat saber (this one depends how much you want to move and difficulty settings, you can easily do a chill session without doing a lot of work)

NOT VR:
Ringfit

special mention:
rock band/guitar hero playing drums at high difficulty with fast songs. it was always a trip to the shower after each session :D

Sports Champions 1 + 2 was alright, but occassionally crippled by Move and its tracking issues. Never understood why pure Motion Gaming was dropped like it was and such systems only found their way to VR.
Any VR thing turns up the heat in my head just by wearing the goggles, so I would not want to play any actual sports game with that. Not even in winter. In summer? Forget VR at all! I hope the coming PS VR controllers will allow for motion use without headset.
While I think a next generation of VR will be nice, current VR controllers of Oculus and Vive and coming PSVR used in wiimote/Move fashion would be more important for gaming moving forward. VR Immersion, okay, but ease of use and convenience and a new more immersive two piece joypad as alternative is imho more important and compatible with the masses.

Kimahri

Banned
Yourshape fitness evolved really kicked my ass in shape back in the early Kinect days. Haven't really found anything that came close since. Haven't tried everything though, but Ring Fit left me wanting, don't really build up a pulse from that. I had wobbly knees after 20 minutes with yourshape.

Alx

The Kinect XB1 exercise game with real life trainers kicked my ass.
Yeah Xbox fitness was great. It may be cheating since it was more a fitness program than a game, but the whole "gamification" part with stars and score rankings help a lot making it interesting. I think it was my most played game until they discontinued it. (I bought the P90X DVD since to continue exercising, but it's not the same)
For more traditional games, all the dancing games are a great workout, my preference goes to Disney Fantasia and Just Dance. Dance Masters on 360 was great too (similar gameplay as Fantasia).

Last edited:

Bluecondor

Golf is like the least fitness - like sport there is lol
Sure, in comparison to real world activities like biking and mountain climbing.

If you are comparing taking 100 full swings in a golf simulator with some dude sitting on his couch flicking his wrist and playing Wii Bowling, a golf simulator blows this away.

Top Bottom