• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the worst meal your parents ever made?

AJUMP23

I don’t like spaghetti my mom made it regularly and I hated it. I do like all other Italian foods.

My mom also made some salads with water chestnuts. They are awful.

GymWolf

My parents made spaghetti with ketchup, tomato juice, and ground turkey. No spices, no herbs, no garlic. Just ketchup.

They also make goulash basically the exact same way. Yes, I am a broken person now.
Is your name something like dick or Manus with a silent M? Because there is a good chance your parents hated you...

just joking :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Smiggs

Is your name something like dick or Manus with a silent M? Because there is a good chance your parents hated you...

just joking :messenger_kissing_smiling:
Neither of those are my name, but you're right, they may have hated me.

But not as much as they hated themselves eating that shit, and of their own volition no less! :pie_roffles:

Trogdor1123

My mom is a good cook but she made pea soup one time that was so bad. No one would/could eat it, not even my dad. Terribad.

Last edited:
Pretty much every time squash was cooked. It physically makes me gag, so even if I enjoyed the taste, I can’t swallow it. Same with parsnips. Whenever it was made I was always told “you liked it before!” No, I never liked the goddamn vegetable. This got to the point where I had to throw it on the floor so it would stop being made for me
I would put as much of my hated meal as I could hide in my mouth, excuse myself to the bathroom and spit it out in the toilet.

Billbofet

One of my least favorite foods are baked potatoes. I have grown to appreciate them a little more, but I still think they are a D-tier option.
My mom would make them pretty much every other meal. We had a large kitchen table that could be extended to fit a leaf for additional seating. This allowed for a "shelf" like area under the table where I would hide my uneaten baked potatoes.

One day my mom was cleaning the floor - she did it old school on her hands and knees with a bucket - she bumped the table as she was cleaning underneath and got pelted with three or four rock-hard, mummified potatoes.
She still makes them now when we visit and every once in a while I put one on that table-shelf. She's too old to clean the floor like in the past, but her cleaning lady had found a few of my gems.

Woggleman

My mom was a great cook 99% but there were times she tried to copy something we ate at a restaurant and it usually didn't turn out good though her chicken scampi tastes just like Olive Garden.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My mom was also a good cook but I dreaded her tuna casserole. It gave me a headache everytime.
I think this has more to do with the recipe itself as hot tuna with noodles is just yucky to me.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I was thinking back to the time my mom made us ghoulash. It was macaroni noodles in tomatoe sauce mixed with left overs meats and pickle juice. She would top it off with cottage cheese. Absolutely disgusting. It was probably the worst thing my mother ever cooked. That’s why I’m wondering. What was the worst meal your parents ever made?

Dying Classic Film GIF by Warner Archive

That's probably the worst mix of ingredients I've ever heard of...and I thought my brother-in-law's mother's infamous SpaghettiOs with hotdog chunks, hotsauce, onions, peanuts, and raisins was upsetting. :lollipop_anguish:

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Every meal, my mom couldn't cook for shit, and didn't use any spice or sauce, it was brutal. My dad always was happy with it, but often ate outside so basically didn't wanted to upset her.

Safe to say, i was lean as hell when i was a kid. I ate so little lol.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

That's probably the worst mix of ingredients I've ever heard of...and I thought my brother-in-law's mother's infamous SpaghettiOs with hotdog chunks, hotsauce, onions, peanuts, and raisins was

That's probably the worst mix of ingredients I've ever heard of...and I thought my brother-in-law's mother's infamous SpaghettiOs with hotdog chunks, hotsauce, onions, peanuts, and raisins was upsetting. :lollipop_anguish:
I would think about eating it till you said raisins. Wtf.

Thaedolus

for some godawful reason my mother never met a piece of meat she didn’t turn into a dried out rock hard piece of jerky. I always thought pork chops were the worst thing in the world until I made them myself correctly.

BigBooper

It was some sour casserole, with lemon juice. Don't know the name.

I'm not sure if most people would think it was as gross as I did, because I just don't like fruit flavored savory foods period. I don't want any citrus fruit on food, based on the handful I've tried.

Aesius

Every meal, my mom couldn't cook for shit, and didn't use any spice or sauce, it was brutal. My dad always was happy with it, but often ate outside so basically didn't wanted to upset her.

Safe to say, i was lean as hell when i was a kid. I ate so little lol.
My in-laws are like that. My wife has to force them to season the food when they cook for us. They don’t even use salt or pepper. They also overcook all of their meat. Basically the most stereotypical “white people” cooking you can imagine.

Porcile

My mum had this obsession with making moussaka which I imagine the real thing is actually quite delicious and filling, but her version was essentially just potatoes layered on canned tomatoes with a sprinkling of cheese and barely any seasoning. It had about the calorific value of a few slices of bread, so after eating the plate of mush in about 30 seconds, an hour later you would be absolutely starving.

Billbofet

That looks delicious. As for my worst growing up, every once in a while my mother would make beef liver and onions. Stunk the entire house up and tasted awful, never again.
Haha. My wife and I have been loving the shit out of brussel sprouts air fried with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika lately. We make it at least three times a week and our house smells like a Vikings' anus.
If this thread is alive in 10-15 years, my son and daughter will most likely be posting about it.

Kenpachii

My in-laws are like that. My wife has to force them to season the food when they cook for us. They don’t even use salt or pepper. They also overcook all of their meat. Basically the most stereotypical “white people” cooking you can imagine.

Yea that's another thing, everything is overclocked to the point all flavor is gone.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Chard.

Mom loved it, I hated it. Mixed in a stew whatever but just raw boiled chard is inedible.

There’s a reason in Catalan “sun bathed chard” is an insult.

GymWolf

for some godawful reason my mother never met a piece of meat she didn’t turn into a dried out rock hard piece of jerky. I always thought pork chops were the worst thing in the world until I made them myself correctly.
Lol are you me?

Except i still don't eat much pork because i don't know better like you.

Last edited:

GymWolf

My mum had this obsession with making moussaka which I imagine the real thing is actually quite delicious and filling, but her version was essentially just potatoes layered on canned tomatoes with a sprinkling of cheese and barely any seasoning. It had about the calorific value of a few slices of bread, so after eating the plate of mush in about 30 seconds, an hour later you would be absolutely starving.
Isn't moussaka based on eggplants?

Top Bottom