• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some movements of brilliant game design that resonated with you?

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm talking about specific moments in games where the environments and mechanics are absolutely creative and intelligent, things that play on your psychology and expectations.
Spoilers ahead in terms of game design.

1. Dark Souls - Illusorary wall in Blight town

This one played with my expectations.
A ramp leading up to a hollow tree, there must be something there to create something that would lead up to something. I mean every stairs lead to a door or something profound.
At the end of the ramp in it was an item (plank shield) and a dead end, and one would naturally turn back and explore elsewhere. I mean what else is there? then when you hit a wall out of frustration, bam an illusory wall and a chest. You would think jackpot, I am being rewarded for trying something. You would think sweet, that's it and turn back. But then this plays a psychological trick on you and you do the same. You hit the wall behind the chest and look a new path forward and a large map. I mean you would navigate around the chest to hit the wall a second time. The chest already in front of you is blocking the entrance. Who would have ever hit this without a guide, but of course Dark Souls brilliance with player interaction and learning from pools of blood and left over messages leaves something enchanting to clue players in.
Most players would have missed this in their first initial playthrough, and most developers would never hide a large substantial amount of content behind something so small and extremely missable, but here we go Dark Souls does something that most modern games don't do and that is to create large levels that most people won't play. Most designers would have the first time player go though everything in their first playthrough as most casuals do, they play it initially and then move on to the next disposable form of media without exploration and understanding of its depths, this fulfills and even exceeds player expectations. Just fucking brilliant design Fromsoftware and this needs to be appreciated in video games.

2. Dark Souls - Elevator in Firelink Shrine

The thought of rolling at a certain time during the operation of when an elevator is ascending or descending to reach a different level. It seems unintended as we use elevators naturally when it stops at the right and designated stop. To interrupt it and reach a different ground was shocking and revolutionary to me at that time. This game broke many of the assumed practices in video games. Such groundbreaking stuff.

3. Dark Souls 2 - Vertical ambush - Forest of Fallen Giants

You see a narrow walkway with a desirable item at the very end, the close looks clear and you move towards the item. Little do you know perspective is everything.
Above you is an enemy that would ambush you if you rush in without and preparedness. As one would grab that item would would be ambushed from behind. You would not have seen it coming.If the backstab doesn't kill you, accidentally rolling out of the way will when you fall off and die. Brilliant execution and enemy placement. Excellent use of verticality and perspective. As you have the camera focused behind your character and the suggestive layout of the narrow path its easy for one to not examine their surroundings. As Ras Al Ghul from Batman begins mentions...

d7us2JU.jpg

4. Demon Souls - Boletaria

This one is pretty clever, you have a narrow walkway with an archer opposite to you shooting arrows. Around you foreshadows breakable planks of wood holding cannons.
The archer is shooting arrows, you can visibly see them. One can easily dodge them, but this can be bad. The level design in this is brilliant because you are on an incline, by avoiding these arrows they break the barriers behind you
this can cause the cannons to strike you from behind. Being observant you can break the barriers and the cannon balls will be released and kill the archer. Again clever design of altitude and slopes, excellent use of foreshadowing and utility. Just brilliant game design and problem-solving. It teaches players to be observant.

Also, you can climb ledges in Demons Souls

but not in Dark Souls?!

5. Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion - Ring with weight mages guild

This one was an interesting quest, an NPC has a quest of retrieving a ring from a well. When you go to get the ring and put it inventory, you realize that you are over encumbered and cannot move.
The NPC's intentions are pretty hostile. They want you to drown. If you are an Argonian then you are good, you can breathe underwater. One exploit is to drag the ring and put it in your inventory next to the exit or have enough carry weight to pick it up. Pretty clever use of multiple mechanics and integration with story.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Magnetic boots and shooting an arrow

rDGVBev.jpg

I forgot which level this was in, but it was pretty clever and badass. Being upside-down sniping things from a distant with your bow and arrows. Clever and cool.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Gleeok Boss battle

This fight was multi-dimensional thinking. Using the grapple hook to connect the poles. Using it as a slingshot and a tight rope. Leave it to Nintendo to create clever boss encounters.

Alternate Player solutions

Destiny - Pushing the Templar off the map

Not sure if this was by accident but by throwing a grenade causes the boss to be pushed backwards. Gamers are smart, what if they can get the whole team to lob grenades at the boss and force it off its platform, and it works.
A brilliant alternate problem-solving solution not thought out be the developers. Bungie was quick to patch this unfortunately with boss bumpers, it seems like they piss on clever tactics by the players. Alternate solutions are the bread and butter of gameplay. Sad Bungie did this, but it was brilliant while it lasted.

Lobbing grenades is nothing new. I remember in the good old days of Halo 3 my team was instructed to lob all our grenades at the spawn point of the enemy at the beginning of the match. We would always kill the enemy team across the maps as a hail of explosives killed them, ah good memories.

If you have discovered any brilliant moments in game design, please share them, especially with a video so we can understand and appreciate it and tell us why it is brilliant.
These are some of the examples that resonated with me and think it's very creative. I, unfortunately, don't find this often in modern games anymore. There's no more clever game design or level design, often it feels like an itnern made a level. Things needs to be well thought out and explored. Fromsoftware really explores this creative and imagined design.

Vawn

Banned
As for #1, I do appreciate when developers are willing to have content that is hidden or can be missed, like those zones behind those walls in Blighttown.

Games today seem scared to make any content the player might miss. It results in open-world games filling up the map with ?s, etc that kill the sense of exploration.

BotW is an example that did this better. It would nudge you at times, but it was up to the player where they should go. It could lead to nothing, or it could lead to something special, that many will never have found.

nkarafo

Portal 2's various elements like the Aerial Faith Plate, the Light Bridge, the different gels, etc. Complete with their own sound/ambience/music when you go near them. Even their little introductions in-game:

Such a brilliant game with so many brilliant touches.

When I realized in Devil May Cry 4 how Nero's sword works. It broke open the ideas I had about gameplay. Now I'm a huge dmc/bayo/astralchain addict.

Snowballs in WoW, back in the day you could throw snowballs and the target would bounce backwards. Perfect for tossing idlers out of Alterac Valley by bouncing them back into the portal.

levyjl1988

Banned
XcLeWx8.png

Also, Trace Memory where you had to close your DS to imprint in one of those puzzles was pretty clever and blowing on your DS to blow the dust away was clever.
Now if the DS had a gyroscope back then, we would have more interesting interacting puzzles that feels intuitive, but I guess VR would fulfill this interesting game mechanic, except for the mic where you can blow and interact with the environment that way.

I wonder if Sony will incorporate a built-in mic in the headset you you can blow and interact with the level to that regard.

Trace Memory is one of those brilliant games. RIP Cing, you made my childhood.

Super Metroid is still to this day what I refer to when I think of great level design, even though I've played many later great Metroidvania, including SotN and Sundered.

It's not just about a sprawling interconnected single level - a 2D open-world so to speak - nor just about how regions are locked away until you're equipped with some powerup that enables you to further explore them. It's also that it's so freakly well designed that once you get such a powerup, you leave the region where you acquired It somewhere very close to where there's a locked region ready to be opened - no idiotic backtracking to somewhere far away.

Level design was brilliant, but creative use of powerups as well. The first time you realize you can reach hidden places far high by bombing yourself with careful timing; when you find out about wall jumping, when you first realize freezing enemies means you can use them as platforms - all of these were remade and watered down to death in lesser games, but never as awesomely.

And let's not forget the delicious music, the many wtf moments (like Etecoons, walking chozo and the many big bosses) and the complete and sheer feeling of loneliness in an alien world that few games came close.

Super Metroid is the best game Nintendo ever made, and a true AAA at the time. It was mind-blowing.

Last edited:
The Last Guardian.

the moment at which Trico starts to listen to your commands. the way they incorporated you basic movement actions seamlessly into the system was brilliant and intuitive.
I was sitting there for at least a minute thinking "you clever bastards!"

that pool puzzle...

yes, very organic puzzles, plus Trico is the most amazing digital creature ever.

Banned
that pool puzzle...

yes, very organic puzzles, plus Trico is the most amazing digital creature ever.

the whole game felt super organic and the way you command Trico always felt like interacting with a real creature. and yeah that puzzle was amazing

the game had its issues like the maybe a bit too wonky controls and the constant button pop-ups that tried to remind you which button crouch is... like... BITCH I am playing this game for hours now, how stupid do you think I am???

but it is definitely in my top 10 games of this generation

Last edited:

Fbh

The Old Monk in Demon Souls:

medium.jpg

With the remake coming I don't want to spoil it, but it was one of the coolest moments in the franchise IMO

As for #1, I do appreciate when developers are willing to have content that is hidden or can be missed, like those zones behind those walls in Blighttown.

This is one of the reasons why I loved Hollow Knight.
The game isn't afraid of players missing a lot of content and it makes exploration a lot more rewarding because of it. Behind a breakable wall or some hidden path you might find everything from additional lore, skills, upgrade materials..... or entire new areas, bosses, enemies, etc.

stranno

Portal 2's various elements like the Aerial Faith Plate, the Light Bridge, the different gels, etc. Complete with their own sound/ambience/music when you go near them. Even their little introductions in-game:
Gels were just copy-pasted from an indie game, later bought by Valve.

ssbhggi.jpg

TAG: The Power of Paint.

CitizenX

Banned
I guess if anything, it would be The Witness because no matter where I turned i could see a puzzle to complete but the real puzzle was the entire island itself. You could not look left or right without trying to draw a line to somewhere in the sky or on the land trying to connect those damn lines. Absolute genius.

Old Retro

No More Heroes for the Wii shocked the hell out of me with it's innovation!!! A game where shaking the shit out of a controller had an effect in a game.

57644.jpg

Plus when you get a call... 😲

Also the game I got with my PS3 in 2008... just watching that animation... I knew this would be a new era in gaming

PoorGenerousHamster-size_restricted.gif

Ballthyrm

When your dead brother help you swim across in Brothers : A tale of two sons

When you collide with your other robots in Portal 2 multiplayer to stop both of you in mid-air
(The whole game really in multiplayer is Brilliant)

levyjl1988

Banned
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Shooting Master Kohga with an arrow to interrupt him, when the boulder is above his head and you hit him with an arrow it will cause the boulder above hi to fall down and strike him.
I remember watching a streamer play this for the first time and their initial reaction was that of eureka! that moment when it all clicked.

It's the reason why I watch streams to be honest. To see how players navigate the environment or approach a problem. How will they perform? What tactics will they use? Will they be able to recall past solutions and apply them in a string or combination of puzzles, like putting two and two together to solve the issue.
The reactions and a sense of accomplishment feels great, to solve it on your own.

Reactions are everything. To gauge a reaction and to make it feel memorable.

synchronicity

Gold Member
the game had its issues like the maybe a bit too wonky controls and the constant button pop-ups that tried to remind you which button crouch is... like... BITCH I am playing this game for hours now, how stupid do you think I am???

I love all of Ueda's work, but yeah, this was so out of harmony with the nature of his creations imo. I don't know if it was a result of focus testing or what, but it came across as if they didn't trust their own work, and that disappointed me.

renzolama

Ghost of Tsushima’s wind mechanic to guide you. So nice, subtle, only use it when you need to. Really encourages exploring.

It seems subtle for maybe an hour or two, and then it quickly begins to feel silly. You start a cutscene and your cape is blowing completely horizontal at 90 degrees, does the game take place in the eye of a hurricane or something?

LordOfChaos

That Shrine in BoTW where you have to guide a ball through a maze but if you flip the puzzle over you will have a much easier time.

A lot of parts of BoTW I wasn't quite sure if I was cheating or playing the way it was meant to be played, but I suppose it's the latter if everything was physics based and fair game.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
eMcGnSp.gif

a7SHFm2.gif

wknfid8.gif

FxEV8C8.gif

Zn1WfV7.gif

b6Hx3OE.gif

There's a classic Atari 8-bit game called Seven Cities of Gold by Ozark Softscape (the wizards behind M.U.L.E.) that captivated me as a child, and still holds up as an expansive virtual world today. You play as an explorer who sets out to discover the New World, sending over ships, men and supplies in search of discovery and adventure. The wonderful thing about this game was how open-ended everything played out. Do you wish to explore the land, travel down long rivers, scale great mountains and uncover lost islands? Do you want to establish forts and missions and build communities with settlers? Do you wish to make friends with the native populations and slowly gain their trust? Or do you wish to slash and burn everything (and everyone) in sight? Meanwhile, you must manage scarce resources, try not to lose too many men or get killed in an ambush after starting too many fights with the locals, and keep the king happy with shipments of gold.

The best feature, of course, is the ability to create new worlds and save to disc, allowing you unlimited gameplay. The built-in world mimics the Americas, but the world generation tool can conjure endless possibilities. And this was all done with 48K. 48,000 bytes. Try to wrap your head around that.

Wunray

A lot of parts of BoTW I wasn't quite sure if I was cheating or playing the way it was meant to be played, but I suppose it's the latter if everything was physics based and fair game.
That's the beauty of BoTW, you play it your way and if it works out gg.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
The moment in The Witness when you see the environment in a new way. It’s mind blowing, and what makes it so genius, is that the moment is different for every player.

beat moment in gaming in decades for me.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Im going to ignore the rules and say Boktai. I think having real sunlight affect the gameplay is genius. It’s innovative and also an example of thinking outside the box.

Banned
The moment in The Witness when you see the environment in a new way. It’s mind blowing, and what makes it so genius, is that the moment is different for every player.

beat moment in gaming in decades for me.

like that game in general is basically GotG contender worthy. genius game in so many ways... like, the simple act of drawing lines was put through basically every kind of puzzle imaginable in a single game, and the way the world was designed (including the moment you see it) is fucking amazing.

The Witness is definitely among the best games ever made, period.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
like that game in general is basically GotG contender worthy. genius game in so many ways... like, the simple act of drawing lines was put through basically every kind of puzzle imaginable in a single game, and the way the world was designed (including the moment you see it) is fucking amazing.

The Witness is definitely among the best games ever made, period.

Totally agree, its one of those games that stays with you when you are not playing. Absolute genius game and if its not in a top ten, ignore the list. Really IMO the only game i can think of that is near perfection and deserving of a 10.

Banned
Totally agree, its one of those games that stays with you when you are not playing. Absolute genius game and if its not in a top ten, ignore the list. Really IMO the only game i can think of that is near perfection and deserving of a 10.

yeah, it is one of the rare games that I would not really argue against a 10/10... some say Tetris, but even with Tetris I would argue it highly depends on the version, and the most iconic ones (GameBoy/NES) are far... FAAAAR from perfect for many reasons.

Probably early Grand Theft Auto games that allowed for more truly open-world shenanigans. Basically, allowing the player to manipulate the outcome of missions before you start them. Like being able to steal a dudes getaway car and have a remote detonated bomb planted within, so once the mission starts and requires you to chase him down to kill him in his getaway car; you blow that shit up the second the cutscene ends and the mission begins. Too bad GTA has gotten away from this design.

Banned
Probably early Grand Theft Auto games that allowed for more truly open-world shenanigans. Basically, allowing the player to manipulate the outcome of missions before you start them. Like being able to steal a dudes getaway car and have a remote detonated bomb planted within, so once the mission starts and requires you to chase him down to kill him in his getaway car; you blow that shit up the second the cutscene ends and the mission begins. Too bad GTA has gotten away from this design.

modern Rockstar games are absolutely awful open world games exactly because of this.
the mission design in their newer games is that of a freaking corridor shooter nowadays...

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
having LTTP the Shadow of the Colossus Remaster recently, that game never fails to impress with the things it does. the gameworld was barren of any standard enemies at all, the entire thing was just a boss rush. yet this turned the first half of the boss fight into a wonderful adventure where you felt free to explore without fear of dying or losing progress. it almost became a puzzle, with long stretches of quite, silence almost, that only served to make the boss fights even more dramatic by comparison. then there are the Colossi themselves. it was as if someone had found a way to turn the boss INTO the level rather than a reward at the very end of it. the way that the player dies and respawns after a successful kill. the mood suddenly and effortlessly changing from epic victory to something unknowably somber, which only makes you wonder what is up, and you want to push on to find out. as a game mechanic the respawn is also something that saves the player from having to travel all the way back, which would have deflated the victory and made the game far less fun. the game uses lots of tricks like these and it is quite inspired.

also when i first got into Dark Souls i found that the lack of a map was a most inspired choice. i'm pretty sure by that point every video game i ever played that wasn't a 2D platformer had a map in it (and even some that were, SOTN). yet here i was in a giant world with no map. it made me pay attention to my surroundings. eventually i learned that world front and back. it felt like a real place. because instead of staring at a minimap in the corner of the screen, i was taking in landmarks, learning routes, etc. not that the games would be unworkable with a map, but it greatly enhanced the experience and made the world something i will never forget. a bit of revolutionary game design by subtraction!

Last edited:
GTA San Andreas being able to Swim for the first time in an GTA game was the best movement ever knowing that falling into the Water does not mean instinct death was so satisfying for me lol

CitizenX

Banned
Dishonored and Dishonored 2's multiple ways of tackling the levels.

Totally agree everyone blah blah blah Dark Souls but i would put Arkane, with their 3 games, as the best level designers in the modern era. No contest. Dishonored one alone should be taught on how to do levels in a game, but Prey and D2 are also pretty friggin amazing.

Naked Lunch

The Metal Gear series' bosses are the pinnacle of game design. Just too many to list.

From the hour long battle with The End, to the puzzle-like Vulcan Raven fight, to the audio cues of Laughing Octopus - not to mention quirky never-before-seen stuff like Mantis and The Sorrow. The best part was all the different methods to face them. You have so many tools at your disposal. I always try new things on replays.

Arachnid

The Metal Gear series' bosses are the pinnacle of game design. Just too many to list.

From the hour long battle with The End, to the puzzle-like Vulcan Raven fight, to the audio cues of Laughing Octopus - not to mention quirky never-before-seen stuff like Mantis and The Sorrow. The best part was all the different methods to face them. You have so many tools at your disposal. I always try new things on replays.
I will never forget tracking and having a sniper battle with Crying Wolf through a white out as the conditions demoralize Snake. Fucking amazing. Neither The End nor Quiet were this good.

It's true that the B&B Corps had shit backstories, but they were fantastic bosses.

EDIT: Also, to throw my hat in to this thread, the entire Historical Society section in Silent Hill 2 is the pinnacle of horror video game design for me. This guy breaks it down better than I ever could. The video is long as shit, but well worth it.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
1. Navigating through Super Mario Sunshine with F.L.U.D.D.
2. Even though I suck at it, utilizing the combat knife in early Resident Evil games
*****Unparalleled Greatness: It was a mistake / glitch to be precise, but all superjumps in Halo 2 maps
3. Super Mario 64 movement in general, the entire game
4. SSX Tricky grinding on rails executing moves, controls overall are 10/10 on fun factor scale
5. Driving around in the Warthog in Halo 2 and Halo 3 especially

Bonus: Z Targeting in Ocarina of Time making cinematic battles more dynamic than they ever were previously

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
In general stuff goes to OoT's Z-Targeting and RE4's context sensitive melee options. I've seen both of repeated a ton because they just feel good.

Specifics wise, Sanctuary Fortress in Metroid Prime 2, The Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword, the Shinra Headquarters (both remake and original, but the PS1 version edges it out by a fair margin) and the village in RE4 were all REALLY good blends of interwoven plot, emergent storytelling, gameplay, combat and difficulty all rolled together in what I'd consider to poster children of the "vertical slice," style of marketing.

Vaelka

The Horadric Cube in Diablo 2.
It's such a creative and core aspect of the game and holds many secrets.

Also the Runewords in Diablo 2, there's even secret Runewords to this day still according to what I've heard.
I dunno if they actually work or not, but I know that there are Runewords that Blizzard came up with that no one knows the combination for.
It sorta feels a little like you're crafting your own special items.
It was a brilliant addition to the game and really opened it up a lot and rewarded knowledge of the game, a lot of the good Runewords can last you even in the endgame and be a great option until you get your BiS items.
They also did a lot for speedrunners in the game.

My only issue with Runewords is that some only work in Ladder.

CitizenX

Banned
meme.tearaway-unfolded.640x360.2014-08-12.3.gif

images

In general, i just think tearaway is an incredible creative achievement. The last few minutes in particular really bring the house down, no spoilers~ it's fantastic, and on the vita the level of interactivity is super buffed by all the extra input methods~

Fck me didnt know that was ported. So many good titles on handhelds wish more of them got ported to PC or console. There was a game on the PSP that was really cool called crush, awesome puzzle game with really good soundtrack.

Tschumi

Fck me didnt know that was ported. So many good titles on handhelds wish more of them got ported to PC or console. There was a game on the PSP that was really cool called crush, awesome puzzle game with really good soundtrack.
I know Lumines from PSP which seems to resemble what you're mentioning here, not sure of Crush! Might see if i can get it on my hacked vita! :D

Heck yes re: it was ported.. being the "face in the sun" really worked great on the handheld~ and you could record your voice to be part of the background sound in the game - could you do that on the PS4?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's hard to show in video, but Phantom Dust managed to take a deck builder, arena fighter and action genre and slap it all together into a fine post-apocalyptic paste that tastes phenomenal on a burger.

Top Bottom