• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the things you HATE about modern gaming?

Everything has to be 50 to 100 hours long or it’s considered, too short or not worth your money. Imo, most games do not have the gameplay and variety to warrant hundreds of hours. You want 8 hour long movies to justify that ticket price?

Bloated, open-world games with pointless side missions with too much repetition and filler. Everything has to be open world now. Linear is considered a thing bad now.

Focusing on silly things IMO like flawless writing and storytelling telling over good gameplay and fun. These are still “interactive” forms of entertainment.

Chasing trends instead of making the best games possible.

Forced inclusivity and diversity in games. Politics in gaming as well.

Release now, patch later mentality. Glitchy and broken games galore.

Huge live service/GAAS focus/multiplayer/online focus.

Extremely long development cycles. I know game development is complicated and time consuming, but it’s getting preposterous imo.

Mandatory DLC and season passes holding back content that should have been in the game in the first place. Really destroys fighting games for example imo.

Most AAA games look and feel homogenized and lack creativity and are risk averse. It’s like they come off a conveyor belt or something.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
(Some others)
Only one series/franchise per genre. Capcom in the 80's/90's: Multiple games in each genre with their own take/spin on said genre. Capcom now: Why have another action game/series, when we already have Devil May Cry. Fighting games? There's Street Fighter. Want more? Tough shit. Platformers? What's that? Also, only one entry in a series for the whole gen. Lovely.

Death of beloved genres such as beat em ups and shoot em ups.

How every game now is started as a planned franchise. Can't have one and dones anymore. Or letting a game grow an audience.

Yearly franchises (CoD, Ass Creed, Sport games)

Sporadic releases in a lot of genres. Some years you get a couple platformers. The next you get none.

Less variety than ever.

Last edited:

light2x

It's because games are exponentially more complex than ever before. You can't have Read Dead Redemption 2, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, and The Last of Us: Part II and at the same time have short development cycles. It's not possible.

That's one of the many reasons we're seeing more and more remakes. It allows for a speedier development time while still retaining the type of fidelity and presentation that is expected out of AAA games today.
I suppose it's understandable. I just hope there's a way we can reduce development times without affecting the quality of games.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I suppose it's understandable. I just hope there's a way we can reduce development times without affecting the quality of games.
Techniques like ray tracing & machine learning, and new engines like UE5 should help with development items. COVID of course really did make a massive impact as well.

Pretty much every game being woke nowadays.

I´m not buying God of War because of the reveal trailer where they showed the black girl at the end literally for no other reason than to virtue signal. When watching this in my mind I could pretty much see the soy devs high fiving each other and getting off on how inclusive and progressive they are.

All of my favorite gaming franchises have been destroyed by the woke movement.

Last edited:

Gunstar75

Neo Member
Multi-player map design, it seems like today's Multi-player maps are designed for gamers with attention span of 3 seconds. I miss the days when maps had great spacing and you can respawn without getting shoot in back within 2 seconds. God i miss early COD, Socom, and Gears of war.

KXVXII9X

I´m not buying God of War because of the reveal trailer where they showed the black girl at the end literally for no other reason than to virtue signal. When watching this in my mind I could pretty much see the soy devs high fiving each other and getting off on how inclusive and progressive they are.

Is this satire. I really hope this is satire because yikes... I get all for not liking virtual signaling but this sounds like a knee-jerk reaction with a certain bias.

Krathoon

It is pretty amazing how video games have become such a shit show.
It used to be that you bought a game and that was it. No strings attached.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Things I absolutely hate about gaming in 2022:

1. Hand holding - Developers feel a great need to make sure you understand every aspect of their games. The magic of figuring something out on your own or finding out through friends or communities is fading away. Even “missions” tell you exactly what to do , step by step without giving you the freedom to do it how you see fit. I miss games like Morrowind.

Valkyrie elysium has that... Tutorials that interrupt the gameplay...

But until now the situation happens to me...

There is a church and I need to find the key to open it, I turn to the right side and go to the corner, I find a chest and is the key...

Then why do they ''hinder'' me a step if the key is just around the corner anyway?? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️... It's a stupid approach in my opinion.

Krathoon

Also, this Limited Run bullshit.
Making limited print runs of games that become expensive on the collector's market.

Valonquar

I hate that digital costs the same as physical, and people actually get to play their physical copies early if the store breaks release date, while digital sits there on the hard drive taunting you with a countdown timer.

Rykan

Is the woke in the room with us right now?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Oooookay, here we go...
  • Overlong tutorials
  • Forced tutorials
  • "Gameplay" sections where you are injured and must move forward slowly
  • Unskippable cutscenes
  • Usually no manuals with physical game media
  • Early Access
  • Games released to retail that are supposedly 'Gold", but are clearly still in beta
  • Terrible storytelling, even in games where this is supposed to be the strength
  • Overabundance of open world games
  • Less creative vision of developers present in final products
  • More games made by committee, which take less risks are more about making as much money as possible
  • 343 Studios
  • Battle passes as the substitute for any other kind of MP game progression system
  • Lack of "next gen" exclusives
  • Way less exclusives in general (where's the excitement of the Mario vs Sonic days?)
  • Preorder bonuses
  • Purchase bonuses locked to certain stores
  • Battle royale replacing every other MP FPS genre
  • GaaS
  • Streaming or subscription as the only option (NES games on Nintendo Online)
  • GamePass as the main focus for MSFT, ahead of just delivering the best games possible
  • Remasters
  • Remasters of games that were released JUST ONE GENREATION AGO
  • Forced 'wokism" in all forms
  • The fall of western games journalism (they didn't have far to fall, but here we are)
  • The fall of console gaming in Japan
  • Legendary Japanese developers moving to mobile development
  • Procedurally generated content as a replacement for hand-crafted content
  • 343 Studios
  • The fall of FIFA and Madden and the rise of FUT and MUT
  • Arcades going from places where you play video games, to places where you gamble for tickets to trade in for cheap prizes
  • The dismantlement of Sony's Japan Studio
  • Season passes that you can purchase before any real details have been announced about content
  • Free-to-play games with 1,282 different forms of currency
  • Pay-to-win
  • Pay-to-lose (glowing Godzilla outfit in CoD Warzone)
  • Always online requirement
  • Always online requirement FOR FUCKING SINGLE PLAYER GAMES
  • Protagonists that talk to themselves constantly and tell the player where to go and what to do
  • Menu systems in console games where you use the analog stick to move around the cursor like a mouse pointer
  • Games that require you to create a secondary account to play (Rockstar, WB Games, etc)
  • And finally, 343 Studios
Why don’t you tell us what you really think?

nial

Gold Member
bump, but to be honest? The poor digital preservation of classic games in modern consoles compared to the 7th gen. Xbox is the only one that does a good job in this case, you're lucky to get a single PS1/PSP game every month on PS4/PS5 and you're only allowed to rent old games on Switch.

Dynasty8

Excessive Hand holding. God of War Ragnarok is really bad when it comes to this where it affected my overall enjoy ebt.

Games being incredibly easy where it becomes boring. Kingdom Hearts 3... I was literally able to beat certain bosses by putting the controller down and doing absolutely nothing. I'm not kidding.

Cringe dialogue. Tri Ace and other hardcore "anime" games have this all over their games. The whole teenage melodrama stuff makes me roll my eyes and lose interest in the story, characters, world, etc making it far less enjoyable.

Top Bottom