• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some old albums you'd like to hear remixed?

Copy of a thread I saw from over in The Dark Continent, but whatever.

I'm usually not a fan of remixes of old albums since a lot of time they miss the point of the original, but there are some things like the recent Beatles 50th anniversary ones or anything Steven Wilson touches that have me in awe.

Starting with one everyone can pretty much agree on: A remix of Metallica's ...And Justice For All and Death Magnetic (one to give justice to Jason Newstead's basslines and some additional reverb here and there to sweeten the deal, and the latter is compressed and limited to the point of being unlistenable).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Streetlight Manifesto Keasby Nights, R.E.M. Out of Time could use some remixing.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Slayer’s Hell Awaits has one of the all time worst mixes. There is a rehearsal tape of the album that rains napalm on it from on high.

Also, the ...and Justice for All mix seems to be pretty popular in some quarters of the internet...

nkarafo

A lot of songs from A Justice for All and most of Death Magnetic are already remixed/remastered for the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games and they sound great. Additionally, you can pretty much mix these songs yourself since you can play with the volume of the separated stems. This is true for the majority of songs in these games, starting from GH3 (because the first two games only had covers and not original songs).

I said it before, the GH/RB craze was amazing for this reason alone. All songs and DLC would get this treatment and you could listen to many classic songs in a way you never did before and having this level of control with the stems was something i always wanted. When that bubble burst i was legit disappointed. You can find rips of all the stems from these games but the quality varies depending on the person who did the rips. If you are going to hunt them i would suggest looking for "Bluzer's" rips.

Oh and btw, a lot of instrumental or vocal tracks of original recordings on Youtube originate from these games. Chances are, the songs you find are the ones that were featured in the games at some point. Otherwise you are very likely going to get covers most of the time. God i hate covers!.

Answering the OP... Well, a lot. Sometimes songs sound flat, other times too loud, etc. Most 80's metal albums sound like shit. Most of Iron Maiden and Slayer old stuff sound like shit. Same goes with video game OSTs. The latest one i remember was Bloodstained. The game has great songs but the sound quality is so flat, i can't stand listening to it.

nkarafo

Slayer’s Hell Awaits has one of the all time worst mixes. There is a rehearsal tape of the album that rains napalm on it from on high.

I fail to see how this sounds good on any scenario. It sounds like it's coming from a small portable radio...

Scotty W

Gold Member
I fail to see how this sounds good on any scenario. It sounds like it's coming from a small portable radio...
I get what you are saying- I am not an audiophile, so perhaps that is the source of our disagreement, but in comparison with the original Hell Awaits, it sounds alive, rather than a muddy sewer.

Top Bottom